Beyond the Empyreal Stars

By writeon27

(Book 1 in The Other Worlds Series) ***2016 FCRA's Wondrous Worlds Winner and a Wattpad Featured Story!*** **... More

Part o1. - o1.
o2.
o3.
o4.
o5.
o6.
o7.
o8.
o9.
1o.
11.
Part 02. - 12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
Part o3. - 18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
3o.
31.
32.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
Part o4. - 39.
40.
41.
Author's Note and Beneath the Radiant Sun Description

33.

3K 204 60
By writeon27

33.

Before the morning light even filtered through the glass windows of the Mitchell family's quarters and through the opaque sheet that closed off Duke's room, he was awake. For the first time in the last five years, he didn't wake up angry at the world. He didn't have his mind racing with everything they needed to do through the day or even worry about if they'd grown enough to feed everyone throughout the winter months. He should have, knowing what the day would bring, but he pushed the thoughts aside and just looked at her.

Lying on her stomach, Odette was still asleep with half her face buried in one of his pillows, her blonde hair a mess of curls across it. Sometime in the night, she'd kicked the bed sheets off of them, having fallen asleep tangled together.

Now, watching her sleep from a foot away, his eyes traced the line of her body – her still swollen lips, the tear stains on her cheeks, her bare, slim shoulders, the way her tank top had twisted and ridden up, showing the small of her back, the curve of her bottom obscured by the pajama pants she'd borrowed from him, even though they were far too big for her.

Still sleeping with her hair and everything else a mess, she was still the most beautiful woman he'd ever laid eyes on.

The night before, when they'd finally pulled apart and climbed down from the roof to his room, Duke immediately picked her up and started kissing her again. Odette had wrapped her legs tightly around his waist as he led them to the bed, gently laying her down before climbing over her. Though their kisses had been hot enough to shake him and the ground beneath them, he knew making love to her would have been out of this world.

His jacket and shirt were in a pile on the floor just a few moments later. Both of them had rushed to get her jacket off before Duke's hands were at the bottom of her tank top, hands pressed against her skin as he began to push it up achingly slow. Her breath hitched in her throat as her arms wrapped around his shoulders, fingers threading into the short hair at the nape of his neck.

But by the time, Duke started tasting the saltiness of tears. He'd pulled back to find her crying, tears streaming down her face as she bit her lip to hold in a sob.

"Why are you crying?" he whispered, wiping away her tears with his thumb.

Odette hiccupped, shaking her head. "Because I know this is the only night I will get with you. And I want this...I want you...but what happens in the morning? What happens when the war begins? What happens if one of us does not make it through?"

"You're going to make it. I know you will. But me..."

"Do not dare start talking like that, Duke Mitchell," she managed to growl through her tears.

"Well, I am only human. I'm not like you, healing in just a few seconds. One shot to the chest or a blade to the back and I'd be dead."

"Stop!"

He stopped with the melodramatics, of course...and added something he'd hoped would make her laugh.

"I'd put up one hell of a fight, though. I'm too damn stubborn. Don't tell me you didn't know that."

It worked. She laughed as tears continued down her face and leaned up to kiss him again.

Though there was plenty of kissing, the rest of the night consisted mainly of them lying side by side, legs tangled together under the sheets. Duke stared into those blue eyes he loved so much, especially that ring of bright green. She was staring, too, her fingers following, tracing every mark, every scar on his skin. She hadn't seen the ones that littered his chest, sides, and back, but by the time she was falling asleep, she knew the story behind every one of them.

He'd found himself fighting sleep just a few moments later, so he moved and pulled her against him. She was cuddling closer when he went under.

Now, he woke before her and took a few more moments to watch her sleep.

Knowing how much had to be done, he slowly got up and pulled on his t-shirt, keeping his eyes on her. The only movement was her slow and steady breaths.

As quiet as he could, Duke climbed back up on the rooftop just as the sun's rays shined brighter as it climbed higher into the sky. He walked over to where they'd been the night before and picked up the quilt, folding it before grabbing the lantern. Before he went back down, he smiled slightly, picking one of the roses for her.

Odette was still asleep when he made it back, so he placed the rose on the bed beside her, kissed her temple, and headed for the stairs.

Graham was eating on the couch, Alanna was neatly and nervously folding laundry, and Carson was just coming from his and Lizzie's room. When they all caught sight of Duke, each gave him a look – Alanna's slightly disproving, Graham's fatherly protection, and Carson's knowing grin.

Alanna was the first to speak. "You better not tell me she's up in your room still sleeping."

Duke's silence was all the answer they needed.

"Duke Mitchell!"

"Nothing happened," he insisted.

Carson's knowing grin turned into a smirk. "Yeah, and I didn't find you two making out on the rooftop last night either."

Duke threw a halfhearted punch in his direction and he easily danced out of the way, laughing.

Padric and Bas emerged from their room, already dressed in their Guardian and Agent uniforms. Not a moment later, Nova appeared also, carrying her white jacket over her arm as she glanced back into her room.

"Do any of you know if Odette made it back last night?" she began, and looked around at them all. However, when her eyes landed on Duke, still in his pajamas, she answered her own question. "Never mind. I am guessing she was with you."

"Yeah, she was," he nodded, not threatened by her. "She's still sleeping. After everything that's gone on these past few days and what's to come, she deserves to rest."

Padric was the one giving him a threatening look, crossing his arms over his chest. "She might not actually be my sister, but she might as well be. I've known you for a while, Duke Mitchell, but don't think I wouldn't hurt you in a heartbeat if you hurt her."

"Yeah? Well, you should know she's the one hurting herself. But I'm sure you already knew her plan to go back to Terra, right?"

Padric backed down, grimacing. "So she told you."

"Hell, yeah, she told me. How do you think I responded when she did?"

"Hopefully not acting like a complete asshole."

Duke's jaw tensed, his hands balling into fists at his sides. "She's the one who's leaving me. She's the one who thinks she can't have it both ways. But don't think I won't fight like hell for her. She's the only woman I've ever and will ever love. I would gladly give up everything for her, but she won't let me. She's the one who's going to end up hurting me, not the other way around. She'll be the one to leave without any kind of goodbye, thinking it's what's best for me. It won't be."

No one spoke. That was fine with Duke, though, because he didn't want to hear what they had to say. They could have either agreed or disagreed with Odette's plan of leaving Earth behind, but it didn't matter. They couldn't convince him to stop trying to change her mind. He was going to try however long it took.

He turned and headed back for the stairs up to his room, feeling them watch as he retreated. His mother said something, but with his blood pounding loudly in his ears, he couldn't hear what it was.

Once in his room, he walked over to the washbasin, ripping his shirt off over his head, and cupped his hands to throw water on his face and into his hair. He hadn't been prepared for the cold, but it shocked him enough to begin to calm the rage inside him.

After a few steady breaths, his soaked hair dripping into his eyes, he reached for the towel that hung beside the cracked mirror and pressed it to his face. When he looked behind him as he ran it through his hair, he caught sight of Odette sitting up in the bed, twirling the red rose between her fingers.

"You're awake," he stated.

She nodded, pressing it to her nose. Her red-rimmed eyes gave away she'd started crying again, but her face was dry. She'd tried for that famous Terrian control, but her human side was fighting it.

"Have you been awake for long?" she asked.

"Long enough for Padric to threaten me after they learned you slept here last night."

Odette grimaced as she placed the rose in front of her, running her thumb over the petals.

After hanging the towel back up, he walked over to the side of the bed as Odette watched his every move. She made none. It wasn't until he knelt down beside her and leaned forward, intending to kiss her, that she turned her head to the side and closed her eyes. He kissed her anyway, dropping his lips to the hollow beneath her ear.

"I'm not through convincing you yet," he whispered against her skin.

"I gave myself last night...and that is it," she responded.

She didn't move away when he pressed his lips to her neck again, pulse jumping beneath the pressure before it began beating erratically. "Not even a little while longer?"

She shook her head as he leaned away, but then pressed a fleeting kiss to his lips. He responded, of course, and tried to hold her there longer, to kiss her slower, deeper, but she pushed him away and jumped up. Quickly heading for the door, she grabbed her boots, jacket, and pants and left him sitting there alone, the rose left on the bed beside him.

And he couldn't help but think he'd already lost her.

***

The Terrian Navigator hovered above Central Park, the only area big enough for it to land smoothly. It had arrived without using its cloaking shield, a sight to see as it made its entrance into Earth's atmosphere, followed by dozens of ships. They were only a few of hundreds more making their descent onto Earth, carrying Alliance forces from all races. The Navigator, however, held the Terrian Primes. Of course, they were the ones who wanted to assist the New York City colony, having four of their own amongst them.

Duke, his officers, and a few of his soldiers were standing in front of the Acers they'd flown to the park. Carson and Graham stood on one side and Odette on the other, keeping distance between them. Nova, Bas, and Padric were on her other side, eyes on the Navigator.

Odette had yet to say a word to him since she left earlier that morning. She barely looked at him either. She disappeared until they were getting ready to leave, in which she finally emerged from the rolling doors of the armory, dressed in her Paragon uniform. She'd had Nova speak for her as she kept quiet, only speaking to them or Graham in a low whisper.

The Navigator lowered closer to the tall grasses of the park, the winds whipping the blades of green from side to side. They started forward as the engines powered down and the hatch opened. It was a déjà vu moment for Duke as he watched the three Primes descend the ramp and walk toward them. This time, however, they were dressed for battle, with blades secured to their backs and guns holstered to their belts.

Diana was the first one he made eye contact with. Her graying blonde hair had been pulled back into a low bun on the back of her neck. He noticed when she scanned his officers and the few soldiers grouped behind them. But when she met Odette and the others' eyes, it was clear she was relieved to see them in person.

"It had been too long," Diana whispered, stopping in front of Odette. She reached forward, grabbing her hands and held them tightly. "Are you all right?"

"Of course," Odette nodded.

Diana wasn't the only one to hear the lie.

The Terrian Prime turned to Duke then, eyes roaming over him, even though she'd seen him plenty of times on vid comm. "Seeing you over vid comm does not do the changes in you justice, Duke Mitchell. And you are far less angry now, too."

"There's been a change in the way I see things recently," he nodded, glancing over at Odette, who still refused to look at him.

Diana greeted everyone else then, but took longer with Alanna and Graham since she'd known them the longest. Hugo and Salvatore did the same, speaking with Odette and the others before meeting Diana at Alanna and Graham.

When the three Primes came to Duke's officers, he took the time to introduce them to every one of them. At first, the humans seemed a little apprehensive. But having been around Odette, Nova, Bas, and Padric for weeks now, they relaxed as each minute passed.

As it came close to the time when all of Earth's colony leaders and the Alliance leaders were due to meet over vid comm, Odette led the Primes to their Acer so they could travel back to Grand Central. Duke wanted to follow, but Alanna pulled him toward another as it powered up.

Diana was giving orders to her other Terrian Guardians and Agents as they walked away. "Take the Navigator to the skies. For the time being, surround the city in a defense shield. Also, scan the surrounding area for any ship coming close. If it is not Terrian or Alliance, shoot it down immediately."

Once they were back at Grand Central, their ships weren't the only ones to land. The Terrian supply ships were along Park Avenue, their engines whirling to a stop as their back hatches opened. The Terrian forces weren't the only ones to emerge. Beings from every race in the Worlds Alliance were in their presence now. Bodtics, Tretytes, and Nereidians were helping to unload the supplies and weapons, following Carson's orders as to where to send them.

The humans of the New York City colony emerged from the rolling metal doors leading into the armory. There was no reason for them not to look on at the scene before them with wide eyes. Yes, Duke had called another meeting before they headed to Central Park, but the scale of the operation about to take place wasn't set into perspective for them until that moment. They all paused, taking in the ships, the Alliance forces, the crates of supplies they were hauling toward the doors, before they snapped into work mode.

Duke stood motionless in the middle of it all, slowly turning and watching all races working together for a common cause.

This is really happening, he thought to himself. This is real...and we're going to win this. There's no way we can't.

With Carson taking control of what was happening on the ground, Duke followed where Alanna and Graham were taking the Terrian Primes. He stayed behind the leader and officer group as they headed for the conference room. Odette was keeping tabs on where he was within the group, keeping as far away from him as she could. Like one touch would change her mind about everything.

Hell, get him as close to her as possible then.

Graham was turning on the holographic screen when he rounded the corner into the conference room. His officers took their respective seats while three other chairs had been brought in for the Primes. They weren't going to sit, though, walking over to the screen.

"I say again, Duke," Diana started. "You have made good use of the tech you have acquired." She turned to look at Graham, smiling slightly. "And I did not know you were so talented in repurposing some of it."

Graham shrugged, smiling back at her. "We had to make it useful to us somehow."

The screen blinked as eight comms appeared. The images were fuzzy at first, as they always were, but each colony leader began appearing. They weren't alone, though, having someone from the Alliance present.

"Hello, everyone," Diana greeted, bowing her head subtly. "I do not think we need any introductions for the Alliance leadership, but for the others we do."

Queen Elektra of the Bodtics was in Rio, King Marinus of the Nereidians was in London, and Emperor Mehrab of the Tretytes was in Beijing.

"My consort Etzal is with the Algiers colony," Queen Elektra introduced.

The Bodtic with Omari was the fiercest Duke had seen of the race. Though half his face was covered with skin, the other half was completely metal. Where he did have hair on the top of his head, it was electric blue, long and braided.

"Greetings," Etzal smiled...or attempted to smile. His pointed silver teeth caught in the light.

"My daughters Jadalai and Sylain are with the colonies in Sydney and Mumbai," Emperor Mehrab continued. Duke didn't know which twin was which since they both looked the same. Same green skin, same dark red hair, same gill patterns on their necks.

"And my partner and children are in Paris and Cairo," King Marinus smiled, looking every bit as human as Wei Fan beside him.

"Perfect," Diana nodded, looking at each colony vid comm again.

Salvatore took control of the meeting then, pulling up a holographic image of Earth in the center of the conference table. It showed in real-time where every Alliance ship was and the shields projected from the Navigators over the colonies. "Now, we must go over certain strategies we will enact in order to..."

With Diana, Hugo, and Salvatore taking the reins on the meeting, Duke slowly walked to his chair. Every one of his officers' gazes was following him, taking in the difference between the Duke Mitchell they knew before and the one before them now. Now, they were seeing a Duke Mitchell whose mind was racing with every detail being said about the coming hours, days, weeks this war would take place over.

Duke barely heard the evacuation plan for all those who weren't going to fight, including the dozens of children. He knew what they were going to do for those in the New York colony – load them onto a ship with escorts retrofitted with Bodtic weaponry and send them to D.C. There, they would head to what used to be the White House and go into the bunker Duke and his family had been sheltered in during the first war. They already had a supply ship heading there at the moment.

As for those staying to fight, they would all be given new weapons and gear, along with what they already had. Terrian armor had been brought in, which could absorb any energy beams shot toward a person. Multiple hits were what they were worrying about, though they had been using it themselves for years.

The ships would be their main source of firepower, which were now apparently also being fitted with Bodtic weaponry – an energy gun that could take out several ships with a single shot. The Bodtics themselves had excellent flyers and so did the Terrians, so they would take the war to the skies.

It was when they were discussing their plans for Comae's capture – which they had a plan, but knew it could backfire since they didn't know where he would be or what he would look like – that things changed.

And they changed quickly.

Alanna had walked over to Duke, taking the seat beside him. He hardly noticed when she reached over and grabbed his hand...or when she asked him what was going on...or even when Odette, hearing the exchange from across the table, turned to look at him for the first time in hours.

What made him snap out of it was Carson bolting around the corner into the conference room and skidding to a stop, almost colliding with the table before stopping himself. Out of breath, eyes wide, and choking on his words as he tried to get them out, he looked between Duke and Alanna. They immediately stood, sensing something was wrong.

"What?" Alanna demanded. "What's happened?"

Carson gasped, holding himself up on the table. "It's Lizzie," he said in a rush. "The baby...it's coming."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 1K 49
Book #4 in the Bonds of Fate series. "You left me. For 2 years." Killian's voice shook with the force of his emotion. "You chose to leave me." "Leavi...
23.8K 1.6K 23
Book 4 of Into The Woods Series *Can be a stand-alone* Zaire had never known true love until he brought his children into the world. Most of his lif...
72 1 45
This is my very, very first novel I have ever made. It is 307 pages, and 39 chapters-- 45 in all including prologues+epilogue. Book 2 will come out s...
2.5K 94 12
Once upon a time in the hidden heart of France, a handsome young prince lived in a beautiful castle. Although he had everything his heart desired, th...