Captivate (Manipulate, Book 2)

By CorrieGarrett

Akemi and Claire have never met in the flesh, but both are victims of an alien’s obsession. Akemi survived he... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Author's Note
Book 3 - Chapter 1

Chapter 35

1.6K 108 15
By CorrieGarrett

Claire woke up in the flat in the evening, having slept most of the day through. Sage was gone and Athlete and Juliet were in the open living area, watching news reports on the screen. Claire settled next to Juliet, who obligingly translated for her. (Oh, how Claire missed her glasses!)

It was like tabloid TV. Apparently humans weren’t the only ones who loved a good intrigue. There were affairs, scandals, and big secrets revealed. One of the stories was particularly sensational, “Septuplets born with double-faceted eyes!” Only that may or may not have been a bad thing. Actually, as Claire watched that story, it turned out to be a scandal, as the eyes were proof of infidelity on the father’s part. Who knew? Or that aliens would even care about infidelity?

Selta was a microcosm of the galaxy. It was a kind of neutral Switzerland, Claire gathered, and full of celebrities: from politicians and emperors to cultural pop stars.

Soon there would be an athletic competition, something like an Olympics, and Athlete explained several of the sports to her when they popped up on the news reports. There was longing in his voice, and she wondered if he would have competed for the Rik, had things gone differently for him.

It seemed strange to Claire that she knew so little about all these aliens that made up the population on Selta. She knew the Spo, Merith, Tergre, Vel, Crosspoint, and Rik, but there were five other species on the planet that she barely knew about. She’d been off Earth for nearly four years now, and she’d learned so little about things.

She counted on her fingers: she’d gotten to know a couple Merith on the Diarena’s ship, two Crosspointers (counting Francois), and her five Rik friends. She kept expecting every culture other than hers to be simpler; easier to stereotype and catalog in her brain, but it wasn’t. Faal was evil, no doubt about it, but Kitteh and the other Merith on the ship had been okay. The Rik were painted as evil scavengers of society, but her Rik were kind and intelligent.

It was just a confusing galaxy. So while Sage had dinner with his friend, and Juliet tried to flirt with Athlete, Claire watched the reports.

That’s when she saw the other cadets on the news.

They stood on an observation deck by one of the huge Seltan spinners. Claire wasn’t positive, but it looked like the same one that was just below the Spo embassy, where they’d escaped. There were two cadets, waving and talking to people in the crowd around them. Sam she recognized from the footage she’d seen of the trial. The Japanese girl with him didn’t look familiar, but she had the same cadet tattoo on her cheek.

When they waved, Claire could see the other tattoo on their wrists.

“The human delegation has been investigating the sabotage of their planetary space station,” the Spo announcer was saying. “But they agreed to a public viewing on the platform yesterday morning. They are staying at the Spo embassy, and if you want to catch a glimpse of these true humans, they can occasionally be seen entering and exiting the embassy on level H.”

The screen flipped back to the video of Sam and the other cadet girl waving at the crowd, and Claire saw that Basher was in the background behind them.

 “Our reporter was disappointed to observe however, that the true humans are very similar to the Rik/Humans we are all too familiar with, so we don’t advise you to get your hopes up.

 “The humans have not issued a report on their investigation, but inside sources say the prime suspects are Rik. Without a doubt, this must challenge the very strange arrangement they have with both the Spo and the Rik. It is also rumored that Faal of Merith II is assisting with the investigation. This surprising species has certainly dived into the deep end of galactic politics.

“The only official statement the humans have released is a reminder that all true humans have a Crosspoint tattoo on their wrist,” the screen flicked to a picture of the intricate tattoo. “And that any human without this tattoo is definitely a Rik and should be treated with all caution and reported to the Spo embassy immediately. The humans have jurisdiction to prosecute anyone who removes a Rik from Selta.”

The newscaster went onto another story, and Juliet sighed. “This is going to make it harder to get a ship. People are more cautious for several weeks after a warning.”

***

“No one will risk it,” Karel said bluntly. Sage sat across from him in a small, dimly lit diner. The smell of fish permeated the air... fish roasting, frying, sautéing, and chilling. Not really fish, of course, but the salt water equivalent grown in tanks on the Lower Seltan levels. Sage and Karel sat at one of the many small tables in tiny chairs that put their knees uncomfortably high.

“We must get away,” Sage said. “You see that. Our only hope is to get to Earth and blend in.We just need a ship – ”

“No. Even if we found a pilot and ship willing to take us all, we couldn’t get through the port. The Seltans have set up temporary checkpoints.”

Sage rubbed his forehead. “So we’re back to that blasted tattoo. I can’t believe a little bit of ink is going to be the death of us.”

“It’s the real thing or nothing,” Karel agreed.

Sage was lost in thought, when Karel added, “Why were you so anxious to shut me up, by the way? When you arrived this morning?”

“What? Oh, that’s because the new girl, the darker one – she’s a real human.”

Karel’s eyes got wide. “Oh, really?”

“Yes, really. It’s on her account I’m in a rush. She’s managed to make a personal enemy of Faal of Merith II. If she doesn’t get off Selta soon, she won’t last long.”

Karel raised his eyebrows. “She makes a dangerous resource to cultivate then. Hadn’t you better cut her loose?”

Sage shook his head. “She could be… useful to us as well. But I’m not sure how to make it work.” He pulled out the old token from the embassy, and showed it to Karel.

“The ink is in the embassy. The human hound at the embassy, name of Basher, is looking for us. Mostly looking for her,” Sage said, thinking aloud. “He has access to the embassy and access to the ink... Perhaps, we could use that. Claire could get near him, I’m sure of it, since we have a way to contact him. Perhaps she could get near him and, I don’t know... steal his token?”

Karel stroked his blonde mustache. “How did you turn her so fast? I mean, stealing from her own kind to help you... that’s impressive, Sage. Even for you.”

Sage shifted uncomfortably. “She cares about us. I think she would be willing to help. Stealing the token won’t work though – he’d realize as soon as he got back to the embassy.”

“Maybe we could copy it? It’s the electronic signal we need...”

Sage finished his fish. “I don’t know if it’s possible. Can you check with Mische? She would know if anyone would.”

Karel smiled reminiscently. “We all thought you were crazy, you know. With your fascination in human psychology. But all that testing is paying off for us now.”

Sage frowned. “I regret what I did to those people. The testing was wrong. Claire’s helped me understand people better than I ever did before, without any coercion. She thinks cruelty and captivity are worse than killing.”

Karel raised his eyebrows. “Claire? Is that her name? I don’t recall you being much interested in names. Is she something special?”

Sage almost shook his head and then nodded. “I... defied Faal for her.”

Karel’s eyebrows went up.

“I know, I can’t believe it myself,” Sage admitted.

“Wow. Have you – ”

“Never mind.” Sage didn’t want to discuss Claire. Karel had a simple mind even when they were Rik and his human host did not seem to have helped. Sage had hand-picked the humans for many of his associates, but apparently he hadn’t done Karel any favors.

“Never mind her,” Sage said, again. “She doesn’t know about my past and I’d appreciate it if you don’t bring it up. It might sway her against us if you spring it on her.”

Sage got to his feet and gave the token to Karel. “If Mische can figure something out, we’ll have to make a play for the ink right away. Have the others ready to go on my word.”

Karel nodded, throwing some money on the table. “But Faal – if he takes issue with this girl, we could all be in danger.”

“I know. I’ll figure it out.”

“Even if you do, this Claire doesn’t know about us. How will she react when she realizes she’s helping a lot more than five Rik get to Earth?”

“I think I can bring her around,” Sage said. “And I have a Crosspoint who’d be willing to do the actual tattooing.”

Karel grinned. “That’s the old Sage, I know. Always collecting resources.”

Sage nodded a curt goodbye and walked briskly down the small street away from the fishy smell of the place. This alley was similar to the one they’d carried Claire through the night they’d escaped and she’d been so ill. That had been a stroke of genius on his part, to bring her with them. She was good for them all, and so... genuine.

He’d never felt this way about a Rik, or another human. When he was a Rik, he’d been consumed with his research. He’d barely allotted time for rest, let alone forming a relationship. But with Claire... Sage smiled. She let them all into her life so easily, after the initial adjustment phase, of course. Plus, she was smart. She had some hang-up about being dumb, because of her past, but she wasn’t. And she had something more than that, an ability to connect with people and care about them right away, and make them care about her.

Of course, while Sage genuinely liked Claire, he couldn’t help analyzing her clinically. Her long imprisonment had left her uniquely vulnerable. She was so starved for affection and security that she accepted him almost without hesitation. She’d also been traumatized by that business with the cadet girl who died. She thought it was her fault, which also left her vulnerable to correctly applied psychology. He’d taken advantage of that, up to a point, because her presence was undoubtedly an advantage to them. The more her loyalty was with them, the better it would be. He hadn’t had this particular scenario in mind, but he’d known that at some point she would have to decide whether to join with the real humans or to help them.

He had been shocked to find himself standing up to Faal for her. It went against every bit of his Rik personality to give up what Faal had offered.

In that moment, he’d considered Claire more important than himself, and that just wasn’t the Rik way. What did that mean? Did he love her? And more importantly – did she love him?

Sage knew from his studies, when he’d been part of the national research team focused on learning about human psychology, that girls who’d been locked up for a long time were often ready to fall in love. A part of him was now disgusted at that, but all the same it was handy to know.

Sage grimaced. Unfortunately, it wasn’t just a matter of getting Claire to help them anymore. Faal’s determined pursuit of her had truly shocked him. She’d told him that she escaped, but he hadn’t realized the depth of insult Faal had taken from that. If Sage knew anything of Faal, Claire would never get off Selta alive.

Sage walked briskly into the flat. The next few days were going to be tricky, but if they could only get to Earth... he could put all this behind him. Maybe he and Claire could be together for real. No manipulation, no past. Just two humans making a new life for themselves.Sage watched Claire’s face carefully as he explained the pertinent parts of his conversation with Karel.

“So we need the ink?” she said. “And we need a token to get it?”

“That’s the gist of it. Needless to say, no one at the embassy would be happy to see us.” Aha, he saw a flicker in her face that confirmed his latest guess. The thought of the embassy was more appealing to her now.

“You can go back, can’t you?” Sage said gently. “Did they figure out you were human?”

Claire blushed furiously. “Akemi… Akemi did say that they knew I was human.”

“And that they would protect you.”

“Yes. But I wasn’t going to go! Not unless something terrible happened. I want you all to get off Selta, too.”

Juliet squeezed her hand.

Sage bit his lip. “It might be the best option for you now. We can’t get off Selta fast enough, and Faal could find us at any time. Perhaps you should go.”

Claire opened her mouth, but Sage held up his hand. “It wouldn’t be like before – you’re not abandoning us. Whatever happens to us isn’t your fault.” He didn’t want to lay it on too thick, but he wanted the association to be clear.

Claire made a strange face which sent a frisson of fear down his back, lest his manipulation backfire, but her words relieved him. “I wasn’t going to say that. It’s not a matter of betraying you all, because I won’t go. Or if I do, it will only be to help you steal the ink. You’re my friends, and I won’t abandon you.”

Sage smiled, though not without pain, appreciating how straightforward her mind was, how inflexible her traumatic parameters. “Thank you, Claire. I think with your help we can work something out.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Run By -`prantikaˊ-

Science Fiction

44K 4K 40
Highest Ranks - #76 SF | 31/8/17 #146 ADV | 1/1/18 10K Reads | June 19th, 2018 ...
11K 909 28
Alien mastermind Faal has finally achieved his lifelong goal: the permission to eradicate an entire species. It’s not humanity. But the Rik aliens he...
5.2K 552 21
Mercenary life is rough, especially for the Eagle X team. Wanted by galactic governments and clandestine organizations, eking out a living seems har...
Phoenix By Cedric Teng

General Fiction

922 22 27
Phoebe cannot recall any memories at all after a tragedy by sea nearly killed her. During her identity crisis, she found herself surrounded by the mo...