STALKING SAPPHIRE (Sapphire D...

Per authormiathompson

Despite the illusion Sapphire Dubois presents to the rest of the world, she is not just your stereotypical 22... Més

Book Club Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Book Club Discussion
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Book Club Discussion Week 2
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Book Club Discussion Week 3
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Book Club Discussion - Week 4
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Book Club Discussion - Week 5
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Book Club Discussion - Week 6
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
EPILOGUE
Book Club Discussion/ Silencing Sapphire Book Club
SILENCING SAPPHIRE BOOK CLUB

Chapter 7

68.7K 2.1K 268
Per authormiathompson

After she was told the police had arrived, somebody brought Sapphire a blanket, whatever good that would possibly do.

Most people who received a box containing a severed finger would not draw the conclusion that Sapphire did. But most people weren’t Sapphire. Most people didn’t dedicate their lives to studying serial killers. She knew exactly what it meant.

She knew the finger was female judging by both texture and size. Considering the black nail polish, the finger belonged to a young woman. She put the woman in her twenties.

The ring was never worn, never seen, never brought out except for when she went hunting. Somebody knew who Sapphire was, what she was. Somebody knew what she did and had cut off some poor girl's finger to send her a message.

Shit! Sapphire couldn’t breathe. Some woman was either dead or being kept alive with a missing finger, maybe the first in a series of “gifts” that were about to be sent as time went on. All because of Sapphire.

The nausea hadn’t gone away and wouldn’t go away until Sapphire caught the guy with her own hands, and this time she wouldn’t just follow her normal routine; she would find him, kick the crap out of him, and find the girl before it was too late.

She was worried about the police, but not to the point where it could screw things up. After all, they were the Beverly Hills police.

Then the cops walked in and her mood dropped, if possible, even more.

Aston looked at her, and she could tell he was debating whether to acknowledge the fact that they knew each other or pretend he didn’t recognize her.

“Ms. Um...Dubois, we’re here to...” he started, apparently going with the second option.

“Aston.” Sapphire stated as a greeting and blew his cover. She clapped her hands together. “Oh, you must not have recognized me. It's okay; I get it all the time. I look completely different with my clothes on.”

The other cop looked from Sapphire to Aston, who stood frozen in place.

“Barry, take the finger to evidence.”

Barry ran off with the finger, trying to fight off the curious and upset Beverly Hills folk.

Aston and Sapphire moved into the empty cigar lounge next to the dining hall.

Sapphire wasn’t sure if she should feel more or less nervous that Aston would be the cop interrogating her.

“Is there anyone you know who might have done this?” he asked, turning on a recorder.

“Well,” Sapphire started, “I made some pretty bad enemies out on the tennis court, and you know how those trust fund babies can be, dangerous and loaded with weapons. Cutting off people's body parts left and right.”

Aston stared at her blankly.

“Of course I don’t know anyone who might have done this,” Sapphire spat out. “Look around; these are the people in my circle.”

“No. Of course. But things aren’t always as they seem. Can you think of any connection you might have to the finger. I mean the person attached to the finger? I mean...previously attached.”

“No.”

Aston took some notes and Sapphire gazed at him. Uncomfortable, he took off his suit jacket and the muscular tone of his arms showed though his shirt. Though he let his shoulders slouch, he almost reminded Sapphire of the cartoons she watched as a child, where the superheroes’ bodies were shaped like inverted triangles. He wasn’t a body builder, just very well built.

“Does the ring have any significance to you?”

Sapphire slouched in her seat and played with her cell phone to give him the impression that she was simultaneously bored and relaxed.

“No. It’s like, what? Superman or something?”

Again, Aston took notes without saying so much as a word. Not so much different from that morning when Sapphire had to drag every sentence out of him.

“Tell me about your daily routine? What does your life look like?”

“Isn’t that stuff you should want to know before you sleep with someone, rather than after?”

Aston stopped the recorder and looked at her with serious, and, unfortunately, sexy eyes.

“I think we’d just better stick to the facts of the crime here today.”

Sapphire half nodded, half shrugged, then crossed her arms and leaned back in the chair. After Aston deleted the section from the digital recorder, Sapphire explained to him how she liked to tan, how she loved shopping and having dinner with her friends, and enjoyed watching Brad Pitt movies. Even the bad ones.

“Okay. So it’s rare that you spend time outside of Beverly Hills?”

Sapphire scoffed. “Eh, yes. Not if I can help it,” she lied and lied well, totally forgetting about their past conversation.

“I thought you said you agreed that Beverly Hills was a hell hole?”

“And I thought you said we should just stick to the facts of today,” she said. “But fine, I lied and I thought what you said was weird. Why would anyone, in their right mind, want to leave Beverly Hills’ borders on purpose?”

An hour passed and Sapphire answered question after question with answers leading nowhere. When Aston finally turned off the recorder and flipped his notebook shut, Sapphire stood, happy that it was over.

Aston lit up a cigarette and Sapphire grabbed her purse.

“You can’t smoke here. Cigars only.”

“Beverly fucking Hills,” Aston muttered, stubbing out his cigarette. “We can provide you with twenty-four-seven surveillance for you and your family’s protection, if you’d like?”

“Thanks, but no.”

Aston looked confused. “It was a rhetorical question. Of course you need to be watched over.”

“So you’re saying I’m obligated to be under surveillance? It’s a law?”

“No. But, look...I understand that you live in this perfect little world where nothing bad ever happens, and I’m sorry to be the messenger here. This person cut off someone’s finger, put it in a box, and sent it to you. I wouldn’t take it too lightly.”

I can take care of myself just fine, you idiot, Sapphire thought, pretending to get upset. “I’m just really scared right now.” She shook her voice on purpose, as if she was about to cry. “I just don’t think I could handle being surrounded by men reminding me of what I’ve seen.”

“Fine,” he said, annoyed and without any compassion. “But don’t do anything rash, like go on vacation or leave the country. Here’s my number.” He handed her his card.

Sapphire wanted to laugh. Now he wanted to give her his phone number?

“We’ll be in touch,” Aston said and stood up, starting to leave, then stopped in his steps. “Figuratively speaking.”

“Jackass,” Sapphire mumbled as she swung her purse to her shoulder and headed for the door.

*****

When Aston pulled out from the country club, something bothered him immensely. Something wasn’t right. It wasn’t just the fact that he had forgotten Barry in the parking lot—it was something else. The girl.

There had been something odd about her. Granted, he thought, it could just be the fact that he used her high and dry the night before and she was still feeling emotional about it. But Aston felt there was something else too. There were no physical signs or traits that showed she was lying, but that was the feeling he had. She wasn’t completely telling him the truth.

What a spoiled rich chick would have to do with someone cutting a person’s finger off was beyond his understanding, but he knew it was more than just hate, obsession, or even lust. The finger was sent to her as a personal gift, a personal message.

“Batman,” he mumbled to himself as he avoided looking at Barry in the review mirror, running after the car and waving his hands like an idiot.

She had known nothing about it, or so she claimed.

He knew what he was going to do would be frowned upon by the Beverly Hills PD. But what the hell, Aston thought. It wasn’t as if he gave a flying rat’s ass about his new job and second of all, he had just gotten a real case. He wasn’t about to let it go that easy.

*****

Sapphire stood in the attic staring at the collage of articles on murder victims from the last couple of months. She had to find the killer, and fast. The person whose finger had been severed might still be alive. There had to be something, some news that would lead her to him. Her new obsession.

Her stupid ringtone rang for the twelfth time in four hours; Sapphire sighed and for the twelfth time said: “Reject.” To Chrissy’s call.

“Shit. Shit. Shit,” Sapphire spat out as she flipped through the L.A. Times looking for a sign of something or someone new, but there was nothing.

Body parts. Body parts. Body parts. Over and over again Sapphire had gone through the connections.

Her pink iPhone, that Chrissy had forced on her, vibrated as her friend left another voicemail probably wanting to go somewhere public with Sapphire so that she could get the attention as the supporting friend.

“Voicemail-speaker,” Sapphire ordered her phone. It was more to let her mind rest than actually wanting to hear what Chrissy had to say.

“Oh, my Gooooood, Saph...like seriously; I’m like totally mad at you right now and like...I think, yeah, you’re shocked and stuff, but it’s soooo not cool to reject my calls like that.” A moment of silence, then her tone switched. “So any whoooo, I was gonna go get a pedicure and I think it'd be good for you to come along, because you always neglect your feet—”

“Delete.” Like she had time to worry about her feet.

Body parts. Feet. Feet. Damn you, Chrissy. Feet. Shoes. Shoes!

Sapphire sprang toward the wall frantically running her hands across it to find what she was searching for. That was it.

Thousand Oaks, California, about two months ago. There were three articles in her possession that hadn’t made sense until now. She found the first, ripping it off the wall.

*****

Aston let the watered-down coffee run down his throat and cursed Starbucks for the millionth time.

His car was parked and masked by a tree: the perfect spot for watching the mansion. When the chief had asked him to take south side patrol, Aston had said yes with a dazzling smile. So dazzling that the chief got suspicious.

“Why so excited about the south side all of a sudden?”

“I like the south side. I’d patrol there all day long, every day if I could.”

The homes of the richest of the rich were on the south side, meaning they couldn’t just have any average police Joe patrol the area; they preferred sending someone higher up.

“I’ll get right on it,” Aston said and headed for the door, with no intention of getting right on anything except north side district fourteen.

Now, there he was watching the mansion of a woman he had slept with and kicked out of his apartment with no further notice than a minute or two.

He aimed his binoculars at her window, feeling like a perv watching Sapphire undressing, lights on, close to the window. For a second he thought about looking away, but figured it made no difference since he had already seen her naked.

She pulled off her top to reveal a tight stomach with a hint of a six-pack. How had he not noticed that before? Granted, he was pretty drunk then and could barely tell her ass from her tit.

As an awkward feeling grew in his gut, he pulled away the binoculars, wondering why a high class society girl that age would be in such good shape. Then he realized she probably had a personal trainer, nutritionist, and everything else that came along with the lifestyle. Pilates and yoga had given her a slender and muscular body while Aston had gotten his form from lifting heavy shit and running after crackheads and unexpectedly fast hookers in high heels.

He brought the binoculars back up to his eyes and saw Sapphire sit down by the window, looking out, her face empty and her eyes sorrowful. Then the light in the window below went out and Sapphire stood up. Aston expected her to put on some girly PJs and was confused as she pulled on a black spaghetti strap top and black tight pants. She used the ledge of the window to draw on a solid pair of black boots.

“What the hell?” he mumbled to himself.

His binoculars followed her as she opened the window to throw a backpack down to the ground. Then she started climbing down a vine. She did it smoothly, as if she had done it every day of her life. He lowered his binoculars and watched with bare eyes as she took off on foot down the street a few feet, then jumped into a white Range Rover. When she was far enough away, he started the engine and crept after her.

Ten miles beyond the L.A. border, her car merged off the freeway. He let his foot off the gas, slowing down behind her as she took a sharp right turn into an old worn down gas station. Aston pulled off to the side of the road and watched her expensive Range Rover disappear behind the tattered building, knowing there wasn’t a chance in hell he’d miss her when she came back out.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

To Love Irrevocably [18+] Per Sky

Literatura romàntica

118K 4.4K 43
At twenty-two years old, Sutton Anstein is basically a walking corpse. Growing up with a helicopter mom and relentless high school bullies, Sutton a...
38K 708 55
Trusting in something new is always going to be a hard expirience. No matter how scary or beautiful it would be, we have to let go and trust in ourse...
26.9K 2K 59
𝐀 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐥 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐫. 𝐑𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫. 𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐈𝐯𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐚 𝐬...
253K 3.9K 7
Diego Lombardi was hired by a powerful wealthy hotel tycoon to kill his fiancé, Crystal, who he claimed was having an affair and stealing from him. A...