Hook, Line and Sinker (ON HOL...

By sheisamieambers

One awesome summer, one girl, two boys who keep on holding her back. Should she go for the one who makes her... More

Hook, Line and Sinker
1-Just a typical girl with a typical life.
2-Another distraction, a major obssession to be? :">
3-Pizzzaaaaaaaap. ;)
4-Puppy Love! <3
6- Say What??
7- Player? Bitter? What the hell is going on?!
8- Whose pants are on FIRE? Mine or Yours???

5- Unexpected 'visit'

107 5 14
By sheisamieambers

Chapter 5

As I placed Chum inside an old carton box, I noticed that the right of its hind legs had a small pouch bound to it by a thin string.

I carefully uncoiled it and checked the pouch.

It had a small figure-keychain of a small blue star.

I wondered why it was wrapped in one of Chum’s paws but then I dismissed worrying.

As many might say, worrying will get you nowhere.

So I deposited the curious item inside one of my drawers, planning on getting back to it when I had time.

 I grabbed one plastic bowl that was clearly not being used for a long time already.

I tried to scrub the dirt off, and when I thought my work was satisfactory, I filled it with the dog food Todd chose from the pet store.

The thought of Todd made me aware for the first time since I arrived home that he told me to call him, so I called. But I only got his voicemail.

“Hiya. I came home around half an hour ago, I’m sorry I didn’t call sooner. I guess I was just excited taking care of Chum. He has eaten one can of puppy food already if you’re planning to ask. Well, I only got your voicemail so I think you’re the one who’s gotta call me back. Well, there, I called already. Later!”

Can I make myself a bigger fool than I already am? Ohmigosh. I still can’t believe I told him he’s going to call me back.

I don’t know if that came out as flirtatious or whatever, but I am seriously hoping he wouldn’t think that way or anything worse.

Chum was chasing his mangled tail when I got back to him.

I tried to catch his attention but it appeared like he was really enjoying it. So I left him at it for a few minutes.

I went to get the soap and shampoo and also decided to call for pizza since I forgot to cook my supper and I remembered that mom was at an out-of-town business trip and she will be away for like, a week.

That means I have the house to myself for 7 long days! Especially now that our summer job is finished and it’s only three weeks before classes start.

I pondered on what toppings to choose then gave my order and address through the phone ordering system. They told me to wait for half an hour so I decided to use my time for waiting to give Chum a bath.

Let me tell you that giving a bath to puppies is very hard. Now don’t even get me started on cats. That’s a whole lot of a different story.

So as I was saying, I cleaned Chum of all the filth that was on him for probably a long time already.

And I can only say one thing:

All those struggling paws, sploshing water, tangles in his matted fur and soap in my eyes were worth it.

You know why?

Because after the said bath,  I couldn’t even recognize the ‘before’ Chum.

The ‘after’ Chum was so cute and fluffy. It was even cuter than I thought it was.

Its fur, instead of what I thought was dark brown, was really a very light and soft and thick mocha-brown.

He actually didn’t have wounds or any of the sort.

And what amazed me the most was that it really wasn’t thin.

It was like it didn’t even go through starvation, which I was starting to suspect, really did not.

After fifteen minutes of playing with Chum inside my room, the doorbell rang.

At first, I can’t place who might be ringing at that time, then I remembered my pizza.

I quickly got my wallet and counted the bills. I snatched two ten-dollar bills and immediately opened the front door, too hungry that I got really excited at the prospect of eating pizza.

Only it wasn’t pizza. Or the pizza delivery-boy for that matter. 

It was Todd.

And he was there in the front steps of our house, smiling sheepishly with a bottle of wine in his left hand and a bouquet of flowers in his right.

Wait, did I say that right? Or was it just my imagination?

I blinked a few times, still clutching the money in my right hand.

Then I closed the door as fast as I could.

All traces of hunger were gone that instant and my heart suddenly raced on.

As I silently counted to three, I opened the door again.

Slowly this time, to make sure that what I saw was just my imagination.

Okay, he’s still standing there.

His grin was still on.

And he still has the wine and flowers.

Clearly, something was wrong with the picture but I tried to be nonchalant about it.

“Hi Todd!” was what I managed  to say through shaky breath.

“I thought you were the pizza-boy.” and added a contained smile.

One that was not too revealing that I was actually ecstatic to see him.

“I’m sorry, I totally forgot my manners, come in!” And with that, he only grinned and entered the house.

Finally, when I closed the door, I couldn’t help myself from asking him what the hell he was doing at my house at the middle of the night.

A quick glance from my wristwatch told me that it was already 9:45 pm.

Didn’t the guy even have curfew in his vocabulary?

And just why the heck would he bring wine and flowers?

Surely he was aware that those two were connected to one word-romance?

“So, what brings you here?” my hands were both on my waist and I tried to be cocky about it.

“I thought that maybe I could bring this wine for your parents.”

“And this bouquet is for you” he hesitantly added.

He handed me the flowers, so what was I supposed to do but accept them right?

“Thanks. I appreciate this. The flowers are lovely.” I felt a blush creeping on my cheeks.

“And so are you.” He winked. “Actually, erase that, you’re lovelier than a bunch of flowers.”

He took my hand then asked me, “Hey, where are your parents? Would you care to introduce me to them so I may give them this wine?”

“Um, thanks for the gesture and all, but my father doesn’t live with us anymore and my mom is on a business trip in Hawaii. I guess the wine will be put to waste after all.” I said with a shrug.

He still hasn’t let go of my hand.

“This will totally not be wasted if we drink it tonight.”

That was a weird one. Imagine two seventeen year-olds drinking wine?

Alone in a house?

That was a scary image.

Who knows what could happen to us because of wine?

A shudder came and I forced the image away from me.

“Why should we drink it? I'm still a minor and I don’t have parental supervision and consent even. Only you are allowed since you're eighteen already. Besides, wine does not spoil right? Why not leave it in our wine cabinet so when mom gets home, I can say it’s from you.”

“Point taken. I would not argue with you. That makes sense.”

He released my hand and turned his back on me.

Then I snapped out of my reverie and remembered the ultimate fact that makes everything in that night wrong.

Todd has a girlfriend. Friendship is okay, but this is more than that. This something where both are flirting back at each other. There was Todd flirting with me, and there was me, who doesn’t even try to discouarage him.

As I stared at his back, I noticed something, he was wearing a crisp-white polo and khaki pants with some loafers. And he looked way hot.

I knew it wasn’t the right time to fantasize so I asked him.

“Todd, where is your girlfriend? And why are you here in the middle of the night and not with her or your family? Why does everything you do seem crazy to me now?”

It was then that he turned and faced me. Then I noticed something. There was something  different in his face. One glance and I could tell that it was shining.

Shining as in wetly shining. His cheeks were, in particular. Then I glanced up his eyes, and saw the redness there. Saw tears falling from it.

And what surprised me the most is the expression in his face. I can sense something that is haunting him, and the terror, shock and sadness was equally vivid in his features.

With that, I took it as a signal to cover the space between us. I walked towards him, I looked him in the eyes and hugged him.

He needed comfort, that was for sure.

Then he hugged me back, this time, it was accompanied by his soft sobbing.

 “I…I just can’t take it anymore…you..you know what I…mean?”

Actually, I don’t. I have heard of suicidal people and those who are easily affected by their problems and so they tend to get emotional, but I have never, ever, in my whole life see for myself a guy doing that. And here I am now, hugging and comforting someone of the opposite gender, who is doing just that. Showing off his emotions.

It was such a pitiful sight, if you ask me. I kinda freaked out when I saw him crying. All thoughts of anything was instantly banished from my mind and all that I seem to remember was that I need to soothe him. To help him heal all his wounds.

Whoever did this to him will have to pay me, big-time. He or she owes me.

“Todd, whatever it is that’s being a burden to you right now, you just let it out, okay?

I am here, you can stay here as long as you like. Hell, you can even spend the night! But in our guest bedroom or the couch okay?” I tried to let it out as a joke to lighten the mood, but I didn’t expect him to fall for it easily.

“Did you just say that I could spend the night? Cause that would really really be helpful.

I need space from everyone, except from you.” Then he stopped crying.

“Hey! That was fast, a second ago, you were crying, now you’re not. What’s gotten into you?” I broke our embrace and looked at him like he was crazy.

“Anyone is entitled to have a limit on his/her emotions, I think.”

“Well then, do you have a handkerchief?” I was hoping he didn’t so I would have the excuse to leave the room and get a grip of myself. “The tearstains are still visible in your face you know.” That was an utter lie.

“Um, I don’t have any. But it’s alright Ky. I’m fine. I just..”

Before he could even finish his sentence, I ran to my room and got my handkerchief.

I didn’t even know why I chose my hanky instead of just grabbing paper towels.

Then as I opened the door to my room, I heard a sharp yelp.

Then I remembered Chum. As it ran towards my feet, I picked it up.

Why not show it to Todd? Maybe he can find it as a source of comfort too.

“Here’s my hanky. You can use it. Don’t worry I just got that from the laundering machine so it’s clean.

 It won’t be such a bother anyway so don’t ask any more questions.”

 Todd reluctantly took the piece of cloth and used it to wipe his cheeks.

Then he glanced up at me from the couch he was sitting on after I left him.

“Is that Chum? Can I hold him?” he asked.

“Oh yes of course. I’m sure he misses you.”

As I handed Chum to Todd, the doorbell rang for the second time that night.

At last, the pizza was here...

“Hey, would you mind? I ordered pizza a while ago and I think that’s my dinner on my

doorstep now. I’ll just be a second.”

I ran towards the door and opened it and handed the delivery-boy the long-forgotten money I prepared a while ago.

As he handed the box to me, I  smiled and thanked him.

“Hey, feel like eating pizza?” I wanted to ask Tod, but the words were barely out of my mouth when I stopped.

When I reached the living room, I saw him cuddling Chum on his lap. It was fast asleep and they looked so cute together. Like Todd was the father and Chum was the baby.

They looked both so serene, I think I forgot how to breathe.

I decided not to disturb the both of them, but when I was about to turn around and eat in the kitchen instead, Todd noticed me standing there so he signaled for me to stay. He gently took Chum in his hands and placed it on the makeshift bed he made for it.

Wait a minute. When did he make that box with the old rug? That’s when I realized, it was just that one box I left scattered there on the corner of our living room and the old rug was from underneath mom’s recliner. Maybe Chum pulled it out. Anyway, it's not that important.

As I saw Chum being tucked in his ‘bed’, I actually saw Todd smiling. Like he wasn’t even crying a while ago.

“Is that the pizza?” he whispered in my ear gently as he went towards me. He then grabbed the pizza box out of my hand and took my other hand.

He was starting to pull me towards the front door then he suddenly stopped.

“Wait, do you have a backyard?” Huh? What? Okay, better answer him, or it might ruin the moment.

“Yes, the way is through here.”

I broke his grip on my hand and walked in front him to lead the way.

“What are you going to do here anyway? We need to eat the pizza or it will get cold.” I added. But he startled me by dropping the pizza box on one of the garden chairs.

Then he was suddenly behind me, wrapping his arms around me in a possessive manner.

“Thank you, thank you for letting me be here.”

I wanted to be his comfort so I answered him. “I should be the one thankful for your presence. Thank you for choosing me to be your shoulder to cry on.”

“Wait, do your parents even know that you’ll be staying here?” I couldn’t help but ask.

I glanced back at my shoulder and saw the smirk he tried to hide.

“Maybe they don’t need to know anymore. I’m already eighteen. Look at Matt, sometimes he doesn’t even come home, he just comes back in the morning and my folks don’t even care. Pathetic huh?”

He turned me around by the shoulders and I was face to face with him.

“I am of legal age already and I believe, I am responsible for my actions. Whatever I do will be none of their business. Especially this.”

He quickly landed a kiss on my lips. If I remember it correctly, this is the second time now. Now don’t he dare tell me ‘sorry’ again or I’m gonna have to punch him real soon. Well, maybe  not, considering the fact that he’s a good kisser. He really knows how to use his lips and right now, the sensations I feel are mixed confusion and ecstasy.

Then he looked at me straight in the eyes again, this time, I can feel his stare boring through my soul.

Then with a grin, he opened his mouth to speak. “Now I am totally not going to apologize for that. I have been meaning to do that for a while now and I am in no way regretting it.”

Was that a look of triumph in his eyes?

For a moment there I just felt stupid. Everything he did right now didn’t make sense. As much as his kisses are good, why the hell does he even need to do those? It just leaves my legs wobbly and my body turn to mush. Even my brain doesn’t want to cooperate with me!

Shocked of what he did, considering that it was for the second time now, I did what I thought was sensible at the moment: I ran to my room.

I wanted to have time to think about everything. I am now confused because I am not certain anymore if my emotions are still functional. Maybe not.

The past few weeks have been fun. But what’s freaking me out right now is how easily I fell for both brothers. Whenever I am around either of them, I can’t even think sensibly. I needed to get out of here. Fast.

But first I needed to go run to my room. Right, run, like the coward that I was.

I took time to take deep breaths and inhales and exhales. I tried to do everything I know to loosen the tension in my body and clear my mind. I counted to ten. I sang my favourite song which is ‘Music or Misery’ by Fallout Boy. It didn’t remove my confusion but I certainly did have fun for a minute there.

Then when I was sure I had my sanity in place, I went out of my room and walked back to where I left Todd, the backyard.

I wasn’t ready for what I saw then.

Todd was lying on the hammock, rocking sideways. His arms were crossed under his head and his eyes were shut. He looked perfectly serene and just lacked a halo. I noticed that he was also smiling.

The reason for the said smile? I don’t have any idea. The way he looked right now? That should be illegal. And I’m having a feeling that what I’m feeling for him now is not a crush.

It’s something much muuuuuch more.

I went back to the house and grabbed a blanket from our storage room. Intending to put it on him, I tiptoed to where he was. Only, he wasn’t on the hammock anymore.

He was sitting on the grass, with his legs crossed. He was staring at the sky.

I sat down beside him. I am in no way going to bring up what happened a while ago.

“So…are you really going to spend the night?”

That was when he returned his gaze to me from the skies.

“Not if you don’t want me to. Should I leave?” He was starting to get up but I caught his hand.

“No, I want you here. I understand what you did I while ago and don’t you worry. I don’t give a rat’s ass about it. I’m totally cool with it so don’t get yourself too worked up. Chill. Relax. Sit back.”

Whoa. Did I just say that out loud? I swear I didn’t mean to.

Good thing it worked though, cause I felt him relax as he seated again beside me. Where he rightfully belongs.

Hey stop. Did I just think of that? Wow, I swear, I really don’t understand anything at all tonight.

“So, why are you really here? The real truth Todd. Because I swear, I’m freakin’ out the whole day and you’re not doing anything to help me. You come here all romantic and then some. Then you go all melodrama mode to me. Then suddenly you kiss me again, then you say things I don’t want to hear right now. I was thinking, since you’re here anyway, can’t we talk it out here? Under the star-lit sky? And if-”

I didn’t get the chance to finish what I was saying and I’m actually thankful of that because I was already bluffing. Todd reached over and placed a finger over my lips.

“Shh. I know what I did okay? I know that I got you worked up, that’s why I was gonna leave a while ago, to give you space. Now let me speak and clear things. I’ll try my best to answer everything.”

“Mmhm hmm.” He didn’t even remove his finger, that’s why the sounds that came from my mouth were muffled.

“Oh sorry. Haha. Now, you were saying?” Finally. My lips have gained freedom.

“First question. Why the hell did you come here with the flowers and stuff?”

He fidgeted with his hands and I don’t know why, but I found it rather amusing.

“Well, I have been thinking of calling you over the phone but then, I thought, ‘the heck, if you really want to talk to her, go to her place’. And so, voila! The reason I am here.”

“Okay, the answer’s good enough. But you didn’t quite explain the flowers and wine? I really think they weren’t necessary. And what a coincidence for you to drop by at a time where my mom is not home? How did you know?”

“Whoa. Slow down there babe. One at a time remember?” He absent-mindedly scratched his head, ruffling his hair. I admit, it was cute as hell. “Now for the flowers and wine, I just thought they were appropriate for the night. That’s all. Is it wrong to give flowers to the girl I like and wine for her parents I was really expecting to meet?”

So it was really a coincidence.

“Hmm. You got me there, but I might as well state a simple fact. You. Have. A. Girl. Friend.”

Surprise!

“Well, yeah. As of a week ago, I did. But now I’m a free bird. What does that have to do with anything?”

“Actually, It has a lot to do about everything. I was only comfortable being near you, knowing that you are taken. But now that you’re not, it will be a problem to be friends with you. I can’t explain further but that’s it.”

The truth is, it’s getting hard to be friends with him then knowing he’s taken, but the harder part is, knowing that’s he’s single, therefore letting myself think that there’s a chance for the both of us when in reality, we don’t really have a chance. Who would fall for me? 

“Alright. You’re telling me that now? Now that I’m available and ready to..to. Okay fine! You’re telling me I confuse you, but guess what? So are you! Don’t go around thinking you’re better than me. You tell me stuff then suddenly you act like someone I don’t even know.”

Now he really stood up. I felt him jerk away from and I could feel the anger in his voice. I was also starting to get mad at the time, so I didn’t do anything. I let myself swim within the high walls of my pride. I didn’t even try to stop him or even explain myself. Tonight’s occurrence is just too much and I can’t handle it anymore. Let him walk away.

As he stalked towards the front door, I didn’t do anything. I just sat there.

“No, you really don’t know me.” I whispered to the cold evening air. “Nobody does anymore.”

I would be lying if I told you I didn’t break down and cry. I did, and in fact, it felt so good to let it out. How could I have even expected him to like me as I am? Those guys only exist in fairytales and make-believe love stories.

Better get back to the house before I catch a cold.

I went and picked up the blanket I got for Todd. The pizza was still there sitting on the chair, long-forgotten. I lost all appetite so it would just have to spend the night in the refrigerator

As I passed by the living room, I picked the box Chum was sleeping in, very careful not to wake it up. I brought it inside my room, I needed company anyway. Even if it’s just a canine-type.

I went back to the living room and checked everything, if I left some lights on, or some unplugged electronics. There were none, but what caught my attention was the wine sitting smug on the couch. Todd probably left it there and forgot to take it home with him when he left. Might as well return it to him first thing in the morning, I don’t want to be reminded of this night anyway, and my mom’s not going to be home for a week.

Todd could drink it all by himself.

I slept with my light on and with Chum cuddled up beside me. 

____________________________________________________

A's N:

Oh no! They had a big fight! What will happen next? :) 

Find out..

Is it Todd now, who owns her heart? :)

Thanks for reading. :) 

Tell me what you think of it. :)

©2011 Amie Ambers

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

823K 14.3K 82
Two best friends are realising that they aren't kids anymore, and they have desires that need to be fulfilled. So who better to experiment with than...
102 0 16
Two best friends. One girl. Two sudden rivals. She never wanted to come between them. But they didnt give her a choice. One was hopelessly in love. T...
34.7K 1K 15
Lina's summer just begins and she meet two guys,but which one will she pick.Basketball always relieves her stress but it's hard to share the courts.S...
3.9M 115K 59
* * * Lauren Collins is a good girl. She's responsible and shy but has a tight knit group of friends, excellent grades, and is dating Thomas Clark, a...