His Prisoner

By Lixxyy19

Jack Morgan has been a friend of my parents for years. That is until they died when I was fifteen. Jack took... More

Prologue
His Beautiful Eyes [1]
Hormones My Arse! [2]
This Is My House [3]
The Wolf [4]
Heartbeat [5]
Panic [6]
Chase The Giant [7]
The Button Problem [8]
Strangers That Care [9]
Teaching Him A Lesson [10]
To A New Start [11]
Playful Mornings [13]
Eliot's Surprise [14]
The Drunken Truth [15]
Werewolves Are Real [16]
I Can Live With It [17]
Love And Heartbreak [18]
Author's Apologies
Revelations [19]
The Truth Hurts [20]
Getting Back To Normal [21]
You're The Wolf [22]
Girl Or Boy? [23]
The Note [24]
Where We Stand [25]
Meeting The Family [26]
Motherly Love [27]
20-Week Scan [28]
His Devastation [29]
Her Devastation [30]
I'm Leaving [31]
Jack Is Back [32]
He Has A Mate?! [33]
Missing Meredith [34]
Now A Rogue [35]
Sarah Adams In The Flesh [36]
So, This Is Carter? [37]
Christmas With Family [38]
Heart To Heart [39]
For Them. [40]
Epilogue

Looking Into The Past [12]

19K 646 30
By Lixxyy19

Meredith

It's nearly midnight when a harsh knock sounds at the door. I'm curled up on the sofa with Jack watching a movie. He's looking after me while my parents are out having a night to themselves. I'm fifteen, nearly sixteen but my parents always feel better knowing Jack is in the house with me. They don't like me being home alone.

I lift my head from Jack's shoulder as he stands to answer the door. I sit up as he opens the door and the sound of muffled voices float down the hall. It's barely moments before Jack returns but unlike the calm expression he had when he left to answer the door, now he looks sad. His expression is one of pain and my heart begins to pound in my chest. What's happened? And just as I don't think it could get any worse, a man and woman in police uniform follow in from behind Jack.

"Meredith... This is officers Davis and Campbell. They want to talk to us." Jack says to me as he takes a seat next to me.

"W-why? Is something wrong?" I barely glance at Jack as I study the two police officers.

"Hi Meredith. My name is Jessica and this is my partner Adam. Is it alright if we talk to Jack for a minute alone?" 

My hands shake and an unsettling feeling rises in my stomach. Why are the police here? Did Jack do something wrong? Is that why they want to talk to him alone?

"Is he in trouble?"

"No sweetheart. We just need to talk to him. It will only take a few minutes." Jessica smiles reassuringly at me but I can see the sadness in her eyes. She knows something that I don't. They all do.

"It's OK Meredith, why don't you go and get ready for bed. It's late." Jack pats my knee and motions for me to leave.

I stand up on shaky legs and stumble out of the living room as fear fills my heart. Something bad has happened, I know it. But I do as I'm told and head to my bedroom to get changed. Once I'm in my pyjamas, I sit on my bed and wait anxiously, bouncing my leg rapidly. Minutes later I hear the police saying goodbye to Jack and I hear the front door close behind them. I listen as Jack's footsteps echo on the stairs and my heart leaps in my throat.

Jack pauses outside my door. The whole house is silent for a few seconds, it's deafening. Slowly my door opens and Jack steps in, a mask of sorrow on his features. I swallow harshly and stand up. I want to say something but the words get caught in my throat. 

"Sit down Meredith. I need to talk to you." Those words alone have my blood turning cold. Something bad has happened. Something very bad. I'm fifteen, I'm not naive. 

Jack takes hold of my hand as he sits me down and he sits also. I wait with my heart pounding for him to speak.

"There was an accident." 

That's all I need to hear. I know what's happened before he says it. Tears cloud my vision and my whole body begins to shake.

"Your parents were driving home and due to the icy roads, your father lost control of the car." A sob breaks through my lips but he carries on.

"They hit a tree. Apparently, the damage was really bad. Your parents didn't make it."

"NO!" I cry out pushing away from him and stumbling to my feet.

"I'm sorry Meredith. They're gone."

I collapse to the floor screaming. They can't be gone. It's not possible. But as Jack wraps his arms around me and whispers over and over how sorry he is, I know it's true.

My parents are dead.

*

I wake up gasping. Clutching a hand to my chest, I stare up at the dark ceiling as the sound of my screams echo through my mind. I haven't dreamt about my parents' death in a long time. It's not a memory I like to remember. That was a horrible night. Unfortunately, one I'll never forget no matter how hard I try.

I lay there for a while, the only sound is my laboured breathing as it calms down. Eventually, I sit up and slowly slide out of bed. I won't be sleeping anymore tonight. Pulling on one of my hoodies, I quietly open my bedroom door and step out into the hall. The house is completely dark so I know everyone is still sleeping. I head downstairs and into the kitchen, switching on the light as I pass it. 

Looking out of the window into the darkened night, I feel a sense of calm as I gaze out into the woods that sit behind the house. I need some air. I unlock the back door and open it, smiling as a rush of cool air hits my face. Without a second thought, I step out into the night without shoes and walk towards the woods. The moon casts a light glow over the woods, lighting up my path into it. As I walk deep into the dense trees, a familiar wolf catches my eye. 

He's sitting by a tree facing away from me. I know it's him. After all this time I get to see him again. His fur is still pristine and ruffles gently in the breeze. As I get closer, he turns his head around to look at me. His intense blue eyes capture mine and a smile appears on my face. 

"Hi." I whisper softly.

He doesn't move, he sits patiently as I make my way towards him until I'm standing within reach. I carefully lift a hand and rake my fingers through his fur. He closes his eyes and shuffles a little closer.

"I missed you." I confess. 

A small whine follows my words and I smile even more. Moving away from him, I sit down against a tree and pat the space beside me for him. He trots over and settles down next to me, resting his large head in my lap. 

"I had a dream about the night my parents died. I couldn't sleep after that so I came out here. It's so peaceful at night." I tell him as I stroke his fur. 

"I remember the look in their eyes as they tried to reassure me everything was fine. I knew something bad had happened. It was written all over their faces. Why else would the police be knocking on the door at midnight?"

The wolf stares up at me in silence. He seems to be listening so I carry on.

"When Jack told me what happened, I felt my whole world crumble. It couldn't be true that they were dead. They were my parents. I couldn't live without them. But it was true and it broke me. It wasn't fair. Why me? Why did I have to lose my parents?"

A tear falls down my cheek and I quickly wipe it away. 

"And then there was Jack. For months he stood by me and comforted me. I was really thankful for him. He gave up his own life to take care of me and I know he was doing it for my parents. They trusted Jack with me. I had no other family so Jack became my guardian of sorts. He cared for me until I was eighteen like a parent does. But after that, it changed. He didn't care for me in the way of an uncle or a father figure... he began treating me like I was his. He loved me in a romantic way, not a family way and somehow he got what he wanted."

I trace my fingers over my baby bump as an indication. He got a child out of me. I knew it wasn't right. I didn't love him or even fancy him. He was just a man that took care of me when my parents couldn't. How could it change so quickly?

The wolf gently nudges my belly with his nose, whining softly. He ever so carefully lifts his paw and places it on my belly, the weight of it is lighter than I thought and I know it's because he's being gentle. Giggling as he licks my hand that rests next to his paw, I scratch behind his ear to show my thanks.

"Now I have these people who hardly know me but are willing to help me. They don't realise how grateful I am that they've got me away from Jack, even if it's just for a while. I've been trapped in that house for so long and now being here feels so good. I've only ever been with Jack, I haven't had friends in a long time and it's weird really. I'm not used to people caring so much, not since my parents but it's a good weird."

Gazing up at the darkened sky, I know I have to leave. I should go back to bed. Or I could stay a little longer.

"It's definitely a good weird."

Maybe just a little longer. 

[ Another update as I feel bad about the long wait for the one before :) I couldn't resist another wolf and Meredith moment <3 ]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 160 27
Prologue No no no no This can't be happening to me I can't be pregnant Im barely 17 I'm in highschool I haven't even shifted yet No...I'm not a run...
124 11 10
My name, is May Stone. I'm the only daughter of Jason and Emma Watson Stone, the Beta family of White Fang pack. The one and only pack that belongs t...
2.8K 113 19
Being in love with Felix Valentine felt impossible, he was an alpha and I was a vampire. But according to my parents, anything was possible. So when...
7.8K 397 17
His family had thrown him away as a baby. Packs despised him. Alpha's used him. It wasn't his fault that he didn't shift to a wolf. He had the gene's...