What's Love Without A Little...

By CyberFox0727

Miscreant Family Life: Jonathan Crane, Book One Jonathan Crane, a professor at Gotham University, has a new a... More

Chapter One - The Professor's Apprentice
Chapter Two - A Day to Remember
Chapter Three - The Mind's Power Over the Body
Chapter Five - No Rest For The Wicked

Chapter Four - A Dance With the Devil in the Pale Moonlight

468 16 13
By CyberFox0727

Chapter Four – A Dance With the Devil in the Pale Moonlight
Olivia Sky

The moonlight shone above me, illuminating every blade of grass, every ebony bird, and every cracked headstone in the graveyard.

I spun around, scared, confused, I didn't know where I was or how I had got here.

Turning back to face the way I was facing when I opened my eyes, I noticed a gravestone that looked rather new, with fresh soil filling the grave that it rested at the head of.

My vision was blurred, it was raining, drops landing on my skin, feeling so cold, so odd... what did the grave say? Was it someone I knew? I stepped forward, trying not to tread on the grave as I focused on the words engraved on the stone.

Jonathan Crane.

I stumbled back in shock, away from the grave, trembling in fear. No, that wasn't possible. Jonathan couldn't be dead, he couldn't...

Hearing the sound of large wings, I stumbled back from the grave as a large bag landed on it, screeching at me in anger. I tried to move back more, but my feet were tied down. I reached down to free my binds, but instead was met with the hissing of snakes wrapped around my ankles.

I screamed, trying to kick them away, but, before I could, I was pulled down into the ground.

Into darkness.

"Olivia, Olivia, wake up, darling..."

My eyes fluttered open to meet the brilliant blue ones belonging to one Dr. Jonathan Crane, who I was happy to say had been my significant other for five months.

I smiled happily at him, a smile that he returned, kissing my cheek before climbing out of bed.

"You were having the nightmare again." He stated as he changed into his normal attire from his pajamas. I nodded my head when he glanced over at me.

"Yes, it comes and goes." I confirmed, and he nodded his head.

In the past months I had become way more comfortable around Jonathan, as he had around me, and I found that I was often more talkative and outgoing than I had been when we had met. Though, he still seemed to love me, and for that I was grateful.

"At least they're no longer every night." He stated, straightening his tie. I nodded again as I climbed out of bed, getting dressed.

I often stayed the night with Jonathan, so, I had some clothes around.

"Now, I have been out already, I had to pick something up." Jonathan admitted, and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"What did you need to go pick up so early in the morning?" I questioned, and Jonathan tutted, wagging a finger at me.

"Now that would ruin the surprise, my dear."

Turning, he strolled out of the room, leaving me to follow him with a small smirk on my face, curious as to what he had gone to pick up.

Upon entering the living room, I noticed a large box on the floor, box and lid wrapped in decorative paper, with ribbons wrapped around and a bow on top. I raised an eyebrow and looked to Jonathan curiously, causing him to smile.

"Happy birthday, my love." Jonathan grinned, and I felt my cheeks flushed.

"You didn't have to get me anything... and I don't honestly recall telling you my birthday." I smiled lightly, and Jonathan chuckled.

"The school records. I was curious a few weeks ago when it was, so I asked the office. I wanted to give you a special gift but I didn't know when your birthday was, and didn't want to ruin the surprise. Turns out I couldn't have picked a better time to ask."

"You're sweet," I laughed lightly, before wandering over to the box and kneeling down. "Do I get to open it now?"

"Of course." Jonathan chuckled, wandering over to sit with me, giving me a light kiss on the lips.

I grinned, before reaching for the box, pausing when it moved slightly, causing my eyes to widen. I looked over at Jonathan, who gave me a look as if to say 'well go on, open it', causing me to turn back and place my hands on the lid of the box.

I hesitated, before pulling off the lid, my eyes widening as they landed on the tiny black puppy that was sitting inside, her tail wagging happily at me.

I looked over at Jonathan, seeing him smiling at my reaction, before I turned back to the box and pulled the little puppy out and held her against me, letting her wriggle around and lick my face while I laughed happily.

"You got me a puppy? Oh, Jonathan, thank you so much!" I laughed, cradling the small dog while I leaned over to give Jonathan a kiss.

"I thought you'd like a pet, so I decided I would pick one for you. What are you planning on naming her?" He inquired, and I looked down at the dog, who in turned looked up at me and yipped in happiness.

"I think I will call her... Melody."

"Melody?"

"Yes," I nodded my head, turning to smile at him. "Melody was my mother's name. Besides, she just seems like a Melody to me."

"Well then, Melody it is." Jonathan grinned.

Smiling, I leaned over to wrap and arm around his neck, pulling him in for a kiss.

"Thank you, darling. I'm very grateful." I told him, and he smiled, standing up and holding out a hand to help me to my feet.

"You're very welcome, my dear. I'm also taking you out tonight, to a very special place that I'm sure you'll enjoy. It will be wonderful." He told me, and I blushed, looking down at the puppy who was happily licking my fingers.

"Oh, Jonathan, you don't have to take me out anywhere..."

"I don't have to, but, I want to," He smiled, pulling me against his check and planting a kiss on my lips. "You deserve a wonderful day away from this hellhole."

I laughed lightly, nuzzling against his chest.

"Thank you, Jonathan. I love you." I sighed happily, my heart fluttering as Jonathan kissed my head.

"I love you too, my dear."

~*~*~*~

As I was preparing for our little outing, I couldn't help but be curious as to where we were going.

I peered in the mirror, adjusting my thin-framed glasses and making sure my light amount of make-up was alright, before I tugged nervously at the long sleeves of my knee length black dress. I wore a topaz necklace and matching earrings.

I tied back my soft brunette curls with a yellow ribbon before turning and stepping into my heels as I heard a knock from the door.

I passed Melody who was curled up, asleep, on the bed, and, making my way to the door, I pulled it open, revealing Jonathan standing there in a black tux, looking simply dashing.

"Well hello handsome." I smirked, before blushing as Jonathan pulled a rose from behind his back and offered it to me.

"Hello to you, beautiful," He smiled, adjusting his glasses as he tucked the rose into my hair bow, giving it a unique touch. "All ready to go, I hope? There's no reservations or anything so we can take our time if you wish."

I smiled before stepping out of the room and locking the door behind me, taking his arm that was being offered and allowing him to escort me down the hall.

"So where is this special place you're taking me?" I inquired, and Jonathan tutted, giving me an amused look.

"If I tell you, it won't be a surprise, now will it?"

"I suppose not," I laughed lightly, shaking my head. "But, fine, if you're so keen on keeping it a secret, I will be patient."

Jonathan smiled, gently kissing my cheek as we made our way to an exit and stepping out into the cool evening air.

"Well, if it isn't the two love-birds," Jonathan and I looked up to find Vicki Vale leaning against the wall, a smoke in her hand as she eyed us with amusement. "Where are you two off to? A gothic ball? A freak club meeting?"

"Could you just leave us alone, Vale? Don't you have something you should be doing?" I questioned angrily, my hold on Jonathan's arm tightening slightly.

"Or someone?" Jonathan raised an eyebrow, and the outraged look on Vicki's face made me laugh.

Jonathan stepped around, pulling me with him in attempts to pass Vicki, but, as we did, she reached out and grabbed my arm, pulling me closer to her.

"I'd watch my back if I were you," Vicki warned, her eyes narrowing but her mouth held a light smirk. "You speak out of turn and you might just be on the other end of this freak's fear toxin. Can't say it will be a surprise."

"Is this a surprise, Vale?" Jonathan snarled, stepping in front of me and stabbing a needle into Vicki's neck, causing her to squeak in fear and back away before collapsing to the ground.

Jonathan calmly led me away, but, I looked back, worried that someone might find her. Honestly I didn't care what happened to Vicki Vale, but, I didn't want people asking questions. Most students were too scared to say anything if they were dosed, but I felt Vicki might not be.

Where we were going wasn't that far, a calm stroll in the moonlight led us through the woods near Gotham Bay. Up a path, there was a cliff edge that overlooked the waters.

Jonathan wrapped an arm around me as I stood, marveling at the sheer beauty of it all. The stars glittered in a pool of black and reflected like diamonds on the surface of the waters below. I was simply entranced.

"It's... beautiful..." I breathed, stepping away from Jonathan and standing at the edge, peering into the sparkling waters below.

"Yes, it is, isn't it?" Jonathan smiled, stepping forward to take my hand. "I often come here to think."

I turned to smile at him, watching the way the stars reflected in his stunning blue eyes as he looked out over Gotham Bay, a thoughtful expression on his face. Smiling, I wrapped my arms around him and rested my face against his chest.

"Here... look at this..." Jonathan smiled, before pulling me down onto the soft grass beside him.

As we lay, looking up at the stars, he took my hand in between us and held it gently, and I felt my heart flutter like it did every time I was near him.

We were both silent for a while, staring up at the sky and enjoying the serene feeling that the beautiful world gave us. I was so lost in thought that I barely heard Jonathan's voice when he finally did speak.

"My dear, there's something I wanted to ask you..."

"Of course, sweetheart. What is it?" I smiled softly, my eyes still locked on the skies ahead, as I listened for his answer, though, for a moment, all I heard was his soft breathing.

"...will you spend the rest of your life by my side?"

I smiled for a moment, before his words really registered to me, and I rolled onto my side, finding Jonathan, in a position mirroring my own, holding out a ring with a hopeful expression on his face, his eyes locked on mine.

"I..." I stumbled over my words, trying to respond. "Are you asking me what I think you're asking me?"

"Yes, I believe I am," He chuckled, giving me a nervous smile. "Olivia, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

I felt my heart pound and I couldn't keep the smile off my face and I jumped onto him, pushing him down onto the ground as I pressed my lips against his.

"I'm taking that as a yes?" Jonathan laughed lightly against my lips.

I leaned back, my hair falling down slightly and tickling his face as I stared down at his face, my smile mirroring his own as I said the words that would truly change my life forever.

"Yes... I will."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

521 7 11
๐‰๐จ๐ง๐š๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ง ๐‚๐ซ๐š๐ง๐ž ๐…๐š๐ง๐Ÿ๐ข๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง โœง.* Such illegal things shouldn't be done, but what if it's him, Professor Jonathan Crane, everyone...
151K 6.9K 78
You are consumed by your fear. Which is why you have the greatest potential. Jonathan Crane has long been immune to fear. Until he becomes afraid to...
7.1K 337 12
Long before she wears greasepaint and he puts on sackcloth, the lives of Harleen Quinzel and Jonathan Crane overlap at Gotham University. There, they...
2.8K 159 32
Before Jonathan Crane fully became the Scarecrow, he was a Professor at Gotham University. When English transfer student Cassie Sullivan becomes his...