Sword and Urn (Edited & Revis...

By DanAbsalonson

Drade is just a villager manning a merchant table with his father Aren until two mysterious swordsmen come to... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
About the Author

Chapter 18

14 4 0
By DanAbsalonson

"Hello young master. Does everything seem to be in order with your room?"

"Yes Wicksam. It really is the nicest place I have ever stayed."

"Well I am glad to hear that. You look like you need a great deal of rest and you will find it here. Now please, have a seat and eat my supper. I think you will find it is equal to your room in quality."

"Alright. I think I'll sit here by the fire."

"An excellent choice. Warm up from the cold night."

I took a seat in front of the fire as he placed the plate down in front of me. My mouth watered at the sight of the delectable food. A sizable portion of a cooked and seasoned goose lay in the middle of the plate cut in intricate slices. It was drizzled in a luscious sauce which I guessed was made of roasted apples. Next to the goose lay a plentiful amount of cooked potatoes on a layer of fresh steaming hot vegetables. To top it all off, a large tankard of ale sat next to the plate. My stomach rumbled as the mixture of aromas entered my nostrils.

"This looks amazing. Thank you."

"Well don't let me keep you from eating," he said, and he was off to tend to another guest. As I ate, the fire's glowing heat reached out to me, its warmth wrapping around me. It pressed into my face. It pulled the cold out of my feet as I extended them toward the fire under the table. I plunged my knife and fork into the meat. My knife slipped through the tender meat. It was much better than Father or I could ever have prepared goose. Each bite tasted better than the one before. Though I was famished, I savored each bite. I split and mashed the potatoes, smearing a hefty amount of butter onto them. It melted onto their fluffy insides like the wax of a candle once the flame had been lit. Everything he had put on my plate was good, and soon everything was gone. I stretched out and patted my stomach, taking a breath. Wicksam the innkeeper came over to me.

"I see that you made quick work of my supper. I trust it was to your enjoyment? Would you like some more?"

"That was the best meal I have ever eaten good sir. You have quite a way in the kitchen, a gift. I am quite full, thank you."

"My pleasure. I enjoy making meals people won't soon forget. I have a small enough inn to provide special meals. There's always enough for my guests without having to hire another cook. My wife helps while I'm in the kitchen of course, so it's manageable. That reminds me. She can wash your clothes if you would like. It sounds like you have been on the road for some time."

"That would be great. If I return to this town, I will be coming back to your inn."

"Thank you. It brings me great joy to see my food bring satisfaction."

He took my plate and left me to sit and enjoy the peaceful room and warm fire. I leaned back, enjoying the feeling of a full stomach and warm toes. My boots had never quite dried until that night from the heavy rainfall the day before. Unlike out in the forest, the fire's heat filled the cozy room. I didn't have to be right next to it to warm up. Wicksam wandered through the room, chatting with a few other men, and then came back to my table.

"The bath seems to have cooled to a desirable temperature, though it is still quite hot."

I leaned forward and felt pain pull at my lower back.

"That sounds great, thank you."

I followed Wicksam to the back of the inn. My thoughts drifted toward what I had to do the next day. I hoped I would find an experienced horse that was easy to ride. I had some experience now, but I was still a bit leery about riding for so long. I headed into my room and retrieved all my clothes. Wicksam grabbed a couple of towels from a small supply room beside the kitchen. Then we walked past our rooms to a door at the end of the hall. He opened it and led me outside.

"You can just set your clothes down here in the hall and I'll get them washed. The bath is quite full. Do not worry if some spills out as you get in. I think it's always nice to have it full so you can sit up to your neck and let the heat really soak in. It is very hot, so be careful."

"I can't wait. Thank you," I said.

"But of course. You'll be alone back here until you enter the inn again. Just leave your clothes inside the door after I go and I'll wash them with the rest. Enjoy your bath good sir."

With that he went back inside, whistling to himself. I stripped off my clothes and put them inside the door. I stepped into the bath, easing in up to my shins. He wasn't kidding, it was scalding. I was glad though, I knew once I got in I would enjoy it. I stood until my feet and legs were used to the heat. Then I lowered myself down to my waist, and then my shoulders. I was consumed with the hot water and the muscles in my back and shoulders started to uncoil as I relaxed.

I watched the steam from the water rise up to the stars. The night was so clear. I could see each one of them in the dark sky shining bright. Sitting in that bath after a great meal made me want to stay at the inn until all my money had run out. I wished I could have stayed even just one extra day, but I could not. I had to warn my family of the soldiers. I did not want to start walking or riding again anytime soon. I just wanted my old life back with my father, or to stay in that bath forever. But I could not. I had to go on.

Sleep tried to take hold of me again. I sat up and got out of the bath. The night air hit me like the stream of an icy river, making my teeth chatter. I hurried out and dried off as fast as I could and then made my way to my room in my towel. It felt great to not be so grimy and dirty. I slept well that night in the comfort of The Egg's Nest Inn. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

482 12 21
This story is complete, though incomplete. For elaboration, I have completed it how I wanted it, in the sense of me working and chipping away at it t...
254K 7.3K 48
Draco Malfoy is working to live in the world that has shunned him after the war, while finishing his schooling and trying to stay out of Azkaban. He...
10.7K 530 17
"Working together? With Potter? Not a chance in the goddamn world." Draco Malfoy has a secret. Harry Potter intends to find it out. But along their j...
4.6K 236 35
A HARRY POTTER AND DRACO MALFOY FAN-FICTION. ALL HOGWARTS HOUSES INCLUDED. Please don't think this is a love/romantic story because it is NOT. So pl...