Consort

By purplebluedreams

She drew the attention of everyone with her beauty and charm. Although she was already one of his wives, the... More

The Beautiful Lark
The Hidden Talent
The Empress
The Warrior
The Heir
The Children
The Wild Princess

The Official Bride

7.7K 245 61
By purplebluedreams

It had been a month since the Emperor had abdicated and handed the throne over to the First Prince. In the weeks following that, the new Emperor had been so busy with his new duties that he had not been able to meet his childhood companion. It mattered not, though, for she had decided to look for him instead.

The new Emperor looked up from his piles of documents as his study chamber doors were flung open with a slam. "Feng Hou, what--?

"Is it true that you are going to take that girl as one of your wives?"

"Which girl?" Raising an eyebrow, the Emperor regarded the woman with amusement in his eyes.

"This is not funny," she hissed, "she is the daughter of the Xiongnu ruler, and the Xiongnu are nothing but bad news! Do not forget that the last battle cost us half the battalion!"

Upon hearing this, the Emperor immediately sobered up, all traces of his grin gone. "I know that. That is why this will be a political marriage. On one hand, the Xiongnu will be more open to peace treaties and on the other, they will not be so eager to attack if their princess is one of my concubines, for fear of political backlash."

The woman glared at him, but seemed to have no counter argument against his reasoning. Seeing that she was not able to bite his head off, the Emperor resumed his easy-going demeanour, and asked her lightly, "How are court matters? Are my officials still giving you trouble?"

Sneering, Feng Hou said, "Well, it depends on what you think is trouble, Your Majesty. I had suggested that the soldiers be trained in the harsher climates of the North for at least three months at a time, but your officials, who have absolutely zero knowledge of fighting, and probably have not been to a single battlefield in their entire lives, have decided to overrule me with an unanimous vote of 9 against 1."

At his friend's sharp tone, the Emperor rubbed his temples, "I understand your logic. Since we are always at war with the tribes of the North, it is definitely advantageous for our soldiers to acclimatise themselves to the terrain and weather conditions there. As usual, please bring this matter up in tomorrow's court meeting, and I will be sure to take appropriate measures."

Feng Hou nodded stiffly and bowed low before sweeping away without another glance. The Emperor watched as she strode quickly and confidently, retrieving her sword from the guard at the door where she had been forced to leave it behind. He sighed quietly.

The next day

"Court begins!"

At the announcement, all of the court officials bowed.

"Long live the Emperor!"

"You may rise. Please start with what you have."

One by one, state matters were discussed, and it was not long before it was Official Feng Hou's turn to speak. She bowed low, and started.

"Your Majesty, your subject wishes to make a suggestion for a matter regarding national defence."

"Rise, Official Feng Hou. Please state your business."

"Reply to Your Majesty. Your subject feels that it would be a wise decision to send soldiers to the northern border for military training for at least three months. This would help them adapt to the weather conditions that would be present when we fight against our enemies, the Xiongnu."

Before she could continue, another official swept up next to her and bowed. "Your Majesty, your subject would also like to speak on this matter."

"Rise, Official Xi. Please state your business."

"Reply to Your Majesty. Your Majesty, the Council of Officials has already discussed this matter yesterday, and we have reached a mostly," here, he shot the woman a glare, "undisputed agreement that it is not a wise idea for us to send the soldiers to the Northern border."

Feng Hou glared back at the official, and both of them bowed, waiting for the Emperor to speak. The Emperor seemed to ponder the topic, and Feng Hou started to feel restless. Fortunately, the Emperor chose to speak at that moment.

"Official Xi, could you please explain to Us the reason for the rejection of this idea?"

"Reply to Your Majesty. Yes, Your Majesty, the rest of the Council members feel that sending the soldiers there would consume unnecessary resources. We would have to send accompanying sword masters to teach the soldiers, as well as set up provision areas. The amount of manpower required is large. Furthermore, as the climate in the North is extremely harsh, it is likely that a significant portion of our soldiers may not make it back alive after the proposed three months."

Turning back to the lone woman in the court, the Emperor asked, "Well, Official Feng Hou? What is your response to this analysis?"

"Reply to Your Majesty. While your subject agrees that more resources are required, your subject does not think that it is necessarily a bad thing."

"Oh? Please explain."

"Reply to Your Majesty. Sending sword masters to the Northern terrain would wear thin the numbers available here to teach new soldiers. That much is true. However, being on site of the battle terrain would enable them to better develop war strategies that can be used there. A thousand hours of planning may be negated if even one single element is out of place. Hence, sending the sword masters there would be a wise investment, as they will be able to examine the ground conditions for themselves."

A murmur rose through the crowd of officials, but the woman ignored them and continued, "In addition to that, your subject has done research on the area. Here is my report." She handed a scroll to a nearby servant, who quickly brought it to the Emperor. As he unravelled the scroll, she resumed her explanation.

"According to the scouts that I have sent out, the villages along the Northern borders have been experiencing great economic decline for the past few years. This is due to the disruption of their agricultural practices by the battles held near there. Your subject would like to propose for a re-training programme to be implemented in the village. Instead of farming, the villagers will be taught how to make weapons, or how to build fortified buildings. With this, not only will the manpower shortage be relieved, but the economy of the Northern villages can also be revived. Your subject is sure that this plan would safely follow economic theory, and that the Official-in-charge for Economy, Official Xi, can concur."

She turned toward the official standing next to her, and had to hold in her laughter at the interesting shade of red his face was turning. The Emperor also noticed the official's face, and shock painted his own face.

"Official Xi, are you alright? You look ill."

"Reply to Your Majesty. Thank you for Your Majesty's gracious concern, your subject is absolutely fine. However, your subject does not think it wise to listen to Official Feng Hou. She may not know best, for she is after all, a wom--"

"Official Xi," the Emperor interrupted in a warning tone, "We trust that We do not have to remind you that it was Official Feng Hou who led the army through the last battle. General Wong has personally sent me a report detailing how her timely strategic suggestions have potentially saved thousands of soldiers from ambushes. Have you led any armies lately?"

"N-no, Your Majesty."

The Emperor straightened up in his seat. "Well then, We think that Official Feng Hou's suggestion is a good one, with more advantages than disadvantages. Furthermore, dissent from the people of the North is becoming troublesome, and as We see it, the re-training programme is a great solution to the people's problems. Since they are already used to physical work, We think that the switch to smithing and construction will not be an issue, and that the army may even strengthen their numbers from the villagers there. It would be good for the military to include some locals who are more familiar to the conditions of the area. They can provide help to the armies."

"Your Majesty, what about the soldiers who may not survive the weather? It is not wise to sacrifice our people for mere military practices!" The official seemed to have more to say, but cut himself off when he saw the look in the Emperor's eyes.

"Official Xi," he said, softly, "do you think that the cold weather will cease for a few men? When the country goes to war, the soldiers will also be faced with the same conditions. If they cannot survive the three months of military practices there, We think that in the event of a war, which usually lasts more than three months, the same soldiers would not survive anyway." His comment was greeted with silence. "By sending them off for this practice, it is possible that these soldiers are equipped with sufficient experience to help them survive. These mere military practices, as you put it, could be the difference between their lives and deaths."

After his speech, the Emperor looked around at his officials. "Please implement this measure as soon as possible. We do not know when the Xiongnu will strike again, and even Our upcoming marriage with their princess may not sufficiently stabilise the relationship between our nations. Court dismissed."

Both officials bowed. "Your Majesty is wise. Long live Your Majesty!" Around them, the cry echoed.

"Your Majesty is wise! Long live Your Majesty!"

That night

"Today's court session was amazing! It was great that we were able to prove that my suggestion made sense!" Feng Hou rambled happily as she brought tea to the table where the Emperor was seated. He smiled at her as she handed him a cup of tea, and took a sip.

"Ah, your tea is still the best. When are you going to teach my servants how to make it?" At this comment, Feng Hou snorted.

"Your subject created this blend after many sessions of tea-making lessons. It is your subject's secret recipe. Sorry to disappoint, but Your Majesty can only enjoy it when your subject is the one making it."

The Emperor frowned. "You know I do not like it when you use formal speech around me. When it is just the two of us, you can speak informally."

"That is true," Feng Hou said, with a thoughtful expression, "you do not even use the Royal 'We' when you are talking to me." The two sat in companionable silence, drinking the tea. After a while, Feng Hou spoke again.

"I cannot always rely on you to help me go against the officials. I cannot believe that they would ignore ideal decisions just because these decisions were suggested by a woman!" Anger seeped into her pores, and she glared at her childhood companion, an undeserving target. "You are the Emperor! Can you not start a revolution of respect for women?"

The Emperor let out a huff of laughter. "I will try, but it is not easy to change a mindset that's so ingrained within such a short period of time. I will implement some changes over time, but for now, rest assured that you at least have the respect of the officials you have impressed over these few years. The soldiers and generals are very impressed by your strategic planning skills."

"Yes, I have received requests to help with the organisation of the armies, which was actually what led to this recent idea. Even so, all of the planning would be fruitless if I cannot get them approved by the Council!"

"Hmm..." The Emperor fell into deep thought. "There is a possible solution, if you are willing to go along with it." Feng Hou perked up upon hearing it, her eyes glued to his in anticipation. "You are a woman. That cannot be changed. What I can change, however, is your status. I could make you the most powerful woman in the country."

Feng Hou's eyes widened and she slammed the teacup down none-too-gently onto the table. Silence reigned again, this time tentative and cautious. Seeing her wary look, the Emperor sighed. "Is the thought of becoming my Empress so unbearable? If you were to agree, your authority and power would be second only to me, and you know that I agree with your ideas most of the time. You are not the top scholar of your batch for nothing."

Feng Hou was still at a loss for words, but immediately regained her composure. "I-Thank you for the offer, but I do not think that it is a wise decision. Firstly, the court officials will definitely think that you are doing this at my urging, and secondly, the Empress is only in charge of Inner Palace matters. I still want to participate in discussions of state affairs."

A fleeting look of frustration crossed the Emperor's face, but it was gone when he spoke again. "Feng Hou," his tone was calm, "is it possible for you to, for once, not be so detachedly logical? Many women would do anything to receive a proposal from the Emperor, yet here you are, skittering away. This brings me to my next point. We've been together since childhood. Why are you so uncomfortable with the idea of being my Empress?"

"That-"

"To be very honest, I do not think that anyone in the court would be surprised if I took you as Empress. Which other lady do you see visiting me so late at night as you are doing now?" Upon hearing that, Feng Hou shot up from her seat and stared down at the Emperor, who gave her a lazy smile.

"The court people know that we are close friends! They know that there is nothing strange about this!"

"Are you convincing me? Or yourself? You know the rules of social etiquette." The Emperor stood up, and starting making his way toward her side of the table. Feng Hou looked up as he gently placed his hands on her shoulder. "Nothing will be different. The title of Empress should not be a source of stress for you. As one born and raised in the Palace, a daughter of the late Empress herself, things should come easily to you. If people dare challenge you, there is no wrong in taking back a title that you are a descendent of."

Feng Hou could feel her resolve crumbling. A mischievous glint lit up the Emperor's eyes, and she could feel his grip on her shoulder tightening as he leaned in and whispered, "Or I could solve your dilemma for you by ordering my servants to lock my chamber doors now. All you have to do is to spend one night here, with me. Nothing has to actually happen between us."

That statement snapped her back to her senses, and she pushed his hands away. "You will do no such thing. I was...thinking through my options." She hesitated again, and the Emperor spoke.

"Think about it, Feng Hou. You said you wanted change, did you not? If you accept, you would be in the best position to work on policies, without unnecessary interference by the officials. Traditionally, Empresses do not handle state affairs, but you could start that revolution you wanted, by being the first Empress to do so. You know that I respect you as much as you do me, and we could be the ones to set an example for our people," he cajoled.

Feng Hou squinted at him suspiciously. "When did you become so good at convincing people? Where did you learn this from? I cannot find any fault with your reasoning, much as I want to."

"I learn from the best, a person named Feng Hou, who is also my beloved childhood friend," the Emperor plastered an innocent look on his face. "Can I take that as a yes? You do want to be with me?" This time, without thinking, she nodded, aware of the feeling of happiness bubbling up in her chest. She simply could not refuse those eyes.

"I cannot believe that this is the Emperor I am speaking to. What would your people say if they saw you like that?" A more pressing concern struck her. "What will happen if you find a more suitable candidate in the future? I will not mind having the position of just Imperial Consort, the previous title of the Empress Dowager." The Emperor smiled blissfully down at her, and she was struck by how boyish he looked then.

"No, nothing but the best for my qing mei zhu ma. I will make the announcement within this week." Feng Hou thought about it, then tugged at his sleeve.

"Could you announce it a month after your wedding with the Xiongnu princess? If you announce this too close to your marriage ceremony with her, the Xiongnus tribes may take it as an insult, since this will overshadow their ceremony." The Emperor gave her a fond look.

"This is why I think you will make a great Empress. Instead of getting carried away, you still put the country's political welfare before your own marriage, and even planned an appropriate time for the announcement. It looks like I have made the right decision." Embarrassed by the praise, Feng Hou hid it by fixing a smug look on her face.

"Of course, I am the strategist of us two. At least one of us has to be able to think far ahead enough if we want the country to prosper." She almost missed the smirk on the Emperor's face as he embraced her.

"You think that you are the better strategist? I have been plotting toward this moment for years."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

Hello everyone! I hope you're having a great day! Thank you for reading my new chapter! Ever since I finished writing the previous chapter, I've been struck by an extremely terrible writer's block, which is why this update took so long. Furthermore, my Internet has been lagging badly these few days, and writing this out is equally frustrating. :( This chapter is the end product of a few days of brainstorming, so I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

You may realise that the language is much more informal, and this is because unlike the previous Emperor and his wives, this pair grew up together since birth! I personally feel that my writing style for this chapter has changed, possibly because this was written during the block. What are your thoughts on this? Like it? Hate it? Let me know!

Did you like the title? I chose it because of the play on words. Both the princess and Feng Hou will be the official brides of the new Emperor, but Feng Hou is also an official, making her an official-bride. :D Did anyone catch the part where the Imperial Consort became Empress Dowager? Since her son is now the Emperor, she's naturally been promoted in rank as well!

-qing mei zhu ma (青梅竹马): a couple who grew up as childhood friends, or childhood sweethearts. You can find the definition here: http://dictionary.pinpinchinese.com/definitions/s/%E9%9D%92%E6%A2%85%E7%AB%B9%E9%A9%AC-qingmeizhuma

-Xiongnu(匈奴): apparently a tribe of Eurasian people who commonly got into conflicts with the Chinese dynasty. If my Google-fu is right, political marriages did not really have any mitigating effect on their hostility towards the Chinese. My stories are very loosely based on Chinese facts, so if you're interested in the actual events, please do google them! Fun Fact: If you listen to the Mandarin version of "I'll make a man out of you" from Disney's Mulan, the Xiongnu are mentioned in the first two lines! The four lines translate to: We will fight together as one, to make the Xiongnu despair! Why is this group of soldiers so much like ladies? (But as Feng Hou and Imperial Consort Hua have proven, some ladies can fight well too!)

Once again, feel free to point out any inconsistencies, as my chapters are edited in sections and I may have missed some things out. 再见(zai jian, see you again)!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 5.4K 33
#396 in Romance #964 in Romance "Make me a promise then." He looked into her eyes, how was she so calm? "What is it?" She couldn't believe that she w...
38.2K 4.8K 61
He's beyond perfect. His domineering presence is undeniably formidable as he stood tall and proud towering all over us. He has a sleek hair that sh...
254K 6.9K 22
Xu Yang lived a happy life until she met her first love who she married thanks to her father's power, but from here everything went wrong. After only...