Mafia

By butterfly94

His body was as powerful and sexual as I remembered it, he had gotten another tattoo on his shoulder since th... More

Ariana Isabelle Caliente
The past isn't always in the past
An offer I couldn't refuse
Luca
Once upon a time
Not so innocent
Drunken mistakes
Trouble
Vincente's
Giving in
War
Complications
Deals
Funerals, friends and family
I forgive you, but I can't forget
Moving forward
Truths, comitments and horses
Date followed by a drive-by... Just great.
Protected
Put him down

Past and Present

112K 2.7K 423
By butterfly94

Three months later...

Paperwork. I was buried in it, day in and day out, there was so much paperwork that when I went to sleep at night I dreamed about it.

Turned out Luca owned an office building in the city, it was close to my apartment and while it worked as a front for the more shady part of his business dealings, the company the building was registered under was very much legitimate and highly successfull. It was an import-export business, he had hundreds of wealthy respectable businesses on his client roster and surprise of all surprises, at the end of all this it might actually look good on my resume.

Working for Luca was surprisingly easy, he was still the same pushy and domineering man he had always been, but he was giving me space and so far he hadn't overstepped any boundaries that I might have set when it came to our relationship. I'd been clear from day one that through the duration of our arrangement I wanted to keep things strictly professional between us. I couldn't do the job I was "hired" to do if I was constantly worrying about what his next move might be, still I couldn't shake the feeling that he was lulling me into a fake sense of security and was working some bigger ploy I couldn't yet see.

Taking a break from work before my head decided to explode I pushed away from my desk and stretched my hands above my head, craning my necks to work the kinks out of it.

Winter was fast approaching and every day the night descended faster and faster on the big apple. My office was on the top floor, right down the hall from Luca and it was spacious and felt like my own safe little bubble in this crazy new reality of mine.
The view from my office was amazing, several times a day I'd find myself standing by the windows, admiring the panoramic view of a city that was known for it's beautiful lighs and never sleeping.

I'd always dreamed about seeing the world some time, traveling across Europe and exploring the hidden treasures of the planet, but always I knew that I wouldn't ever be comfortable living somewhere else for a longer period of time. New York was my home, where I have my family and friends and so much history.

I was contemplating all of this when there was a knock on my door. I didn't need to turn around to know who it was, I was aware of Luca on a level I wish I wasn't, my skin heating and my heart speeding up at the mere proximity of having him in the same building, let alone the same room.

Spending so much time working closely with him had done nothing to diminish my feelings for him, if anything it had only served to remind of how good things had been between us once. He hadn't only been my first love, he was my best friend, the person I trusted most in the entire world and that wound had been almost as impossible to repair.

Turning around I offered up a genuine smile, no longer feeling like defying him at every turn, just for the principle of it.
"Hey, you can come in you know. You don't have to stand in the doorway,"
"I was just admiring the view," judging from his tone and the way he was looking at me, it was clear he wasn't talking about the view outside. He was still laying on the charm thickly, he flirted both subtly and outrageously, but he hadn't done anything else... yet.
"Yeah, it's really something isn't it?" Over the past couple of months I'd learned to casually play off his comments, of course he never let me get away with it.

"We both know I wasn't talking about the office-view," I watched him step into my office before I turned back around to the windows, glancing at him when he came up next to me.

It was still difficult figuring out how to relate to him; as my ex-boyfriend, boss, blackmailer, friend? I didn't know and it wasn't getting any easier either.

"Remember that night on top of the Empire State building?" I sucked in a breath at the quietly voiced question, bracing myself for the emotional impact the memory had on me... It was the first time he ever told me he loved me.

"Can you believe the view from up here? It's so beautiful," it was mid-december, the snow had settled like a soft white blanket over the city lit up by a million sparkling lights.
"It is," Luca was standing behind me, his arms wrapped around my waist, my hands resting on top of his arms.

"I've always loved winter, everything seems so quiet and serene, you know?" Luca hummed his agreement behind me and I turned in his arms with a blissfull sigh.
Every time I looked at him I was overcome with how much I loved him and just loved being with him. I knew he wasn't a "good guy", but that didn't matter to me, the only thing that mattered was how he made me feel special and like I was the only person that mattered to him when we were together. To be a little cliche; he made me feel like I was the only girl in the world.

"What are you thinking?" Shaking my head I cupped his chin and pressed up on my toes to press my lips to his in a sweet kiss, smiling when I pulled back.
"I'm thinking how lucky I am to have met you,"

We'd been together four months, and every day I learned something new about him, and every day I fell more and more in love with him, but I still hadn't found the courage to tell him that I loved him. I was scared that he didn't feel the same way, that it was way too soon and I would scare him off by saying it. The thing was, Luca was a lot older than me, I had just turned eighteen and he was approaching twenty-five and in so many ways I was still just a kid. I liked to think I was mature for my age, I had a job - granted it was the family business - but still, it was more than any of my friends had. I wasn't all that interested in partying and drinking, but I was far from an adult, no matter how much I liked to pretend otherwise. Truth was, part of me worried that I was nothing but a nice little distraction for Luca, something fun to play around with before someone better and more mature came around and caught his attention.

"From where I'm standing, I'm the lucky one. You're the best thing that has happened to me in a long time Ariana, you know that don't you?" It was hard to believe, but from the way he was looking at me, dark eyes so expressive and urging me to believe every word he said no matter how much my insecureties were trying to convince me it was just a pretty lie. But I wanted to believe him so bad, wanted to believe he felt the same way about me that I did for him.

"I find that hard to believe, considering the first time we met I threw a glass of wine in your face." Luca threw his head back in a real from-the-belly laugh that warmed me as much as the thick winter coat and merino wool scarf I was wearing.
His laugh was so infectious I found myself joining in and the next thing I knew he was kissing me, a deep slow seduction of a kiss that took my breath away. When he pulled back I was feeling a little light-headed, my hands pressed to his chest to keep me upright as my legs threatened to crumble beneath me.

"La cosa migliore che mi sia mai capitata. Ti amo, Ariana Isabelle Caliente"

(The best thing that ever happened to me. I love you)

That day had been the happiest day of my life, but now all it did was remind me of the hurt that had followed.

"What are you doing, Luca?" My voice was quiet as I turned to face him, slightly vavering with pent up emotion. He didn't look at me or answer my question, I followed his gaze to the Empire State building and swallowed as I waited for him to say something, anything.

"It's Marisols birthday today, Vincent and Lindsay is having a small celebration at the restaurant, come with me?" I hesitated, taking a step back to get my thoughts and emotions under control. I wasn't sure accompanying Luca to a family celebration was a good idea, actually I was sure it was a horrible idea, only further complicating an already complicated situation and relationship and yet...

Over the past three months working for Luca I had found myself regular inventory at Vincente's, spending many a late-night business dinner there and occasionally ending up having drinks with Lindsay every so often. Lindsay had become a really good friend to me during all of this, she was probably one of the very few people who could actually relate to my situation. She'd been a great support and I felt like I could be honest with her, trusting her more than I trusted even Letty or my own family to keep my secrets about how I really felt.

Just last weekend we went shopping together, Marisol had come with us and I absolutely adored that little girl, even had a birthday present for her hidden away in my desk. Which was why I said what I did next.

"Okay, I'll come. I can't stay long though, I've got plans tonight," I had a date actually, but I didn't think now was the right time to bring that up, if ever, and I didn't feel particularly in the mood to get into an arguement with Luca about it today.

I knew it was breaking our deal, and I also knew Luca wouldn't hesitate to bring that up, which was why I didn't say anything.

"Dinner with the family?" There was an edge to his voice that made me tense up, something didn't feel right and I had the sudden horrible feeling that he aldready knew.
"No, not with the family."

Luca turned to face me and I was taken back with the intensity of his gaze.
"We had a deal Ana, no?" Sighing I wrapped my arms around myself and averted my gaze.
"I'm aware of our deal Luca, and so far I've stuck by it. I'm having dinner with a friend, and yes it is a date, but I'm asking you to let it fly. You say you want me back, that all of this is just some grand plan you have to make that happen, but if that's true... If you ever really loved me... I need you to give me the freedom to do this one thing.
I'm not going to keep denying the truth anymore, Luca. We both know I still have feelings for you, but I need time to figure out how that plays out now, today. So please Luca, all I'm asking is a chance to figure things out."

I couldn't read his expression, but he hadn't immediately refused, which in my book was a good sign. I was on edge the entire time I waited for him to say something, part of me terrified that he'd decide to go back on our deal, but then he gave a sharp nod and his features softened for a second before he cupped my cheek and lifted up my chin so our eyes locked.

"I'll give you the freedom and time, Ariana, but eventually you'll realize no one will ever love you the way I do, mi amore." He finished his statement with a kiss that had my heart racing and palms turn damp, and when he eventually pulled away I was more confused than I had ever been before.

* ********************************************************************************

Hope you liked it!

Tell me what you thought :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

704K 20.3K 25
I was 17 when I ask him to take my virginity but he explicitly said no. Now, eight years later I need to ask him the same humiliating question again...
1.3K 64 10
I stepped into the doorway, turning back to look at him as he tucked his hands into his navy blue jean's pockets. Despite my obvious insecurity, I le...
84.2K 1.8K 25
"Fuck... " I muttered under my breath which got Ben's attention his eyes widened in shock on finally noticing me. "Hey... " I finally broke the dead...
389K 8.2K 44
"I'm not going to hurt you." He took his hands off my waist and placed them on either side of my head. "I could never hurt you." He lowered his face...