For Once In My Life (Stevens...

By Sarahbeth552002

When Dana Rowland first meets Quinn Stevens, it's during the storm of a century, and his mysterious appearanc... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21 (The End)
Save the Last Dance
An Honest Kiss
A Broken Promise
All or Nothing at All
Hold You In My Arms (Stevens book 9)

Chapter 20

40K 2K 123
By Sarahbeth552002

Three weeks later Phoenix was still insistent on trying to pull Dana out of her funk.  He hadn't guessed about her and Quinn, and he seemed genuinely concerned.  He had decided they should take a road trip for the weekend and he was not taking no for an answer.

They had been traveling for a little over five hours when the bluebonnets started to pop up; it was Dana's favorite season, in Texas, the bluebonnets had their own season. Eventually, she fell asleep, content to let Phoenix get them wherever it was they were going.

"Dana." She felt a little shake on her shoulder. "We're here."

"Where?" She slowly opened her eyes yawing. "Phoenix!"

"What?"

"This is a bad idea." They were sitting in front of the Stevens' family home. It still felt like her home. India was pacing on the front porch, waiting for them to get out of the car.  She did not seem like the same woman that Dana had met a few weeks before. Gone was the relaxed and cheerful India. Instead, she looked anxious and on edge.

"You don't even know where we are."

"We are at the Stevens' Ranch. Why are we here, and why is India here?"

Phoenix looked confused by her response. "India insisted that we come. I tried to tell her we couldn't come, but she countered everything, and then she said something about letting her down if we didn't."

"If we walk in there now...the story...it will fall apart."

"When did you become such a negative person?"

"It's not negativity; it's a fact. I'm very serious, if we go in there, your sister will know that we're not together, and that might not be all she learns."

Dana laid her head back taking a deep breath.  "You've landed us in it now."

Phoenix was either in denial or thought she was exaggerating.

Realizing that she was not going to be able to get out of the situation, she pushed open her door and got out of the car. India stopped her pacing and faced them with a frown on her face as her gaze traveled up Dana's figure, and Dana was at a loss as to why she was so displeased at seeing her, especially when she was so insistent that they come.

"You don't look too pleased to see us," Phoenix said as he joined Dana.

"I'm sure it's your imagination," she said as she turned and waved them into the house.

For Dana, it was like coming home after a long absence. It was all so familiar; even the smell was comforting. It had become her haven that would always feel welcoming and safe. It would break her heart to leave it again.

"Everyone is out back. Come on I'll introduce you."

Dana felt her heart lighten. Seeing Quinn would hurt, but it would be wonderful to see the rest of them again. They walked out onto the porch where some of the Stevens' men; Doug, Mason, Bryce, and Rainer were all sitting around a table with a pitcher of iced tea in front of them.

They all looked up surprised to see Dana, but not a single one of them said a word.

"This is Phoenix and his girlfriend, Dee."

"Dee?" Mason's lip tipped up on one side, apparently amused.

"Phoenix, Dee, this is Doug, Mason, Rainer, and Bryce." India's voice got a little breathy on Bryce's name.

Dana turned to look at her, suddenly suspicious. She chanced a look to Phoenix to see if he had caught the change in his sister, but his gaze kept jumping between Mason and Rainer, his mouth opening and closing like a fish.

They all nodded looking from one to the other without saying a word.

"Hello," Phoenix greeted, sounding almost giddy.

Mason blinked and looked from Dana to Phoenix and then back again as if he had just realized something.

"Mason and Rainer Stevens...it's such a pleasure to meet you both." Phoenix leaped forward to shake their hands. 

Rainer and Mason looked at each other then back at Dana completely confused.

"Dana may I speak to you privately please." Bryce rose from his chair, not caring that his words had made India gasp and Phoenix's eyes grow wide like saucers.

"Yes," she said, following him off the terrace and back towards the study. Well, she had warned Phoenix.

"Here," he handed her an envelope that had her name scrolled across it. "I promised that I would deliver that personally. I was going to track you down after this weekend, but now I don't need to."

Dana took it, not recognizing the writing.

"How are you Dana?" he asked sitting on the edge of the desk.

"I'm O.K."

"Liar," he said motioning for her to approach him. When she reached him, he stood up and wrapped his arms around her hugging her tight.  It was so unexpected from the cold and staid Bryce, and it was full of so much affection that she couldn't help the tears that started. In no hurry he just held her, letting her cry all over him.

"I have never met anyone outside of this family that I respect or admire as much as you Dana," he said when the worst of it was over, and he handed her a handkerchief.

"Respect?" She snorted into the white cloth.  "Pitty I would get, but respect? I don't see why." Especially when she had just broken down and cried all over his shoulder.

"You are so unbelievably strong.  You get knocked down over and over again, and you get right back up and start fighting again."

"You think I would have learned better by now."

"It's not about learning; it's about overcoming. And you my dear have had a lot to overcome, and I'm afraid my brother is responsible for the worst of it."

Dana only nodded and started crying again. Bryce took her back in his arms supporting her.

"I have only ever involved myself in one of my sibling's love life, and I wish to god I never had. So I am not about to intercede now, but I will say that I hope he comes to his senses soon, and to beg you, if he ever does apologize for whatever it is he has done, to give him another chance."

Dana nodded. "I'll think about it."

"Now tell me why on earth you're pretending to be that man's girlfriend."

"He doesn't want his sister to know-" She stopped, not wanting to give any of Phoenix's secrets away.

"That he's gay?"

Dana looked at him her eyes growing wide.  "My dear, I may appear as if I don't care or notice about people, but trust me I do."

"I know that you cared about me."

"True, but I didn't have much of a choice Quinn was very insistent."

"Quinn?"

"Yes, it seems he was in love with you even then."

Dana was about to ask him precisely what he meant when there was a knock at the door, and it opened. India was standing there looking from her to Bryce. With her arms still wrapped around Bryce's waist and his hands linked behind her back, it must have looked worse than it was because India's face turned bright red. If she had been a cartoon character steam would have come from her ears.

"Lunch is ready." She forced through her clenched teeth then she turned and left.

Bryce sighed.  "Quinn owes me big for this one," he said as he gave her one more squeeze then let her go. "Shall we."

Dana nodded, folding up the letter and shoving it into her back pocket.  Her thoughts were focused so entirely on what had just had happened, and Bryce's out of character behavior, that she completely forgot about it. What did Quinn owe him?

She and Bryce walked towards the kitchen in companionable silence with Bryce's arm around Dana's waist. Lizzy, Cassie, and Elizabeth were all delighted to see her and passed her around for hugs. Phoenix and India were missing from the group as was Quinn, Caleb, and Davis.

"What are you doing here?" Mason asked.

"I'm honestly not sure," Dana admitted.

Everyone looked at Bryce, and he just stared back. Anybody else would have cracked under the pressure but not Bryce. Suddenly, Dana saw him as more than just the Earl of Pennington or a highly sought after lawyer. She saw him as a very complex and sensitive man with a very strong moral compass. He was just like Quinn and all of the Stevens men. He was just better at hiding it than the others.

She could not wait to meet the woman who one day would win Bryce Stevens's heart.

"Come on Dee, sit next to me." Mason patted the chair next to him.

"Dee?" Cassie asked.

"Yes, it was how she was introduced by India." Mason patted the chair, apparently not taking no for an answer.

When Dana sat next to him, he pulled her to him laying his arms across her shoulders.

"Phoenix is my housemate, and it is a nickname he gave me."

"He's not really your boyfriend is he?" Mason kissed the top of her head in a brotherly affection as she rested it on his shoulder.

"No."

"Thank goodness for that. You do know he's gay right?"

"How do you all know that?" She was astounded, she had never even guessed that he was gay. It had taken her completely by surprise, and they had all known right away.

"Because Dana, they're used to getting hit on by men, they can pick up the vibe." Cassie clarified.

"No," Dana said, shocked.  Who would ever think any of the Stevens men were gay?

"Mason the most." Lizzy sat down across from her handing her a glass of tea.

Mason nodded. "It's true; I am pretty irresistible." He wasn't upset in the least, and there was an audible response from all present that turned into a lot of teasing and laughter.

Eventually, India and Phoenix joined them, and they both looked extremely upset.

"Is everything all right?" Elizabeth asked, her concern was evident.

"Fine," The brother and sister said in unison.

"So Lizzy, fill us all in on the party tomorrow."

It turned out that it was Doug and Elizabeth's anniversary party the next day. It was a big to do with formal dress and a live band. "Even Cassie has agreed to sing for us," Elizabeth said, pleased at the thought.

Cassie sat on the other side of Mason reaching for a sandwich that was on the tray in front of them. "I might even get Mason to join me."

"Why ruin it?" Rainer said, following Cassie's lead.

"Ha Ha Ha," Mason said dryly, taking the sandwich right from his hand. Rainer shot him a look and reached for another which Lizzy took from his hand. He shot everyone a look warning then and reached for another which Dana took from his hand, unable to resist, and hen he turned to growl at her and said, "et tu Brut," she gave him her sweetest smile and thanked him before she took a bite.

There was total silence while everyone waited to see what he would do next. Slowly and deliberately Rainer reached for another one, but just before he sat down, he reached over Dana and grabbed Mason's beer.

Sitting down with a grin, he lifted the beer. "Thanks, brother."

"No problem brother," Mason said around a mouth full of sandwich as he watched Rainer take a swig from the bottle. "It's mostly backwash anyway." There was a burst of energy as Rainer reached for Mason and Cassie jumped in between with two fresh beers. The rest of the meal was about the party the following day, and when Dana said she didn't have anything to wear Cassie and Lizzy saw it as a challenge to find her something from their own wardrobes.

When lunch was over, and everybody began to disperse, Phoenix pulled her to the side.

"Can we talk somewhere in private?"

Dana nodded and led the way to the study. Once there Phoenix shut the door and collapsed on the sofa. "You tried to warn me. India is livid."

Dana shrugged, not knowing what to say to that.

"How well do you know Bryce?"

"Bryce?" Dana asked confused. She thought that this was going to be about Quinn.

Phoenix rubbed his face.

"Phoenix what's going on."

"But you do know Bryce well?"

"Yes, I know Bryce well. Why?"

"India is not happy about it?"

"India is dating Quinn."

"Nope."

"Nope?"

"She and Quinn are just friends."

Dana was stunned. That was not the impression that she got a few weeks ago. But if it was true, it meant that Quinn was free and not in a relationship like she had thought, like he had let her think.  He was still pushing her away.

"What's going on Phoenix?" Dana repeated her earlier question.

He shrugged. "India wants Bryce."

Suddenly, it was all clear to her.  India's agitation at their arrival, the look on her face when she saw Bryce hugging her.  Then she suddenly remembered how Quinn had thought Dana was interested in Bryce.  How often had that happened to him, and why would anyone want Bryce when they could have Quinn?

"It seems an Earl is much more desirable than a rancher. Especially when he is as good looking as Bryce." Phoenix shook his head.

Dana had to admit that Bryce was a remarkably handsome man and he oozed power and wealth, but even though he was a caring and thoughtful man he did his best to hide it, which was a fact that left Dana cold.

"So why am I here?"

"I think that India thought you might distract Quinn.  She sensed an attraction between the two of you a few weeks ago."

Dana ignored Phoenix's comment.  "So does she know I am not your girlfriend or does she just not care?"

"She doesn't care. She told me that I was to keep you away from Bryce."

Dana felt for Phoenix.  She knew what it was like to have a person who was supposed to love you and have your back use you. "I'm sorry Phoenix."

He just nodded his acceptance.

"You know you can be yourself here.  They all asked me if I knew you were gay."

Phoenix's eyes widened.

"They're a family that's very good at reading people."

"How do you not tell everyone that you know these people? I would be telling everyone in the world that they were my friends."

"Probably because I do know them and I respect their privacy. They have done more for me than my actual family ever did." Dana rose from where she had perched on the edge of the desk. "They are the best kind of people."

Just then the door opened, and Quinn and Caleb entered, and it was evident that they had not expected Dana and Phoenix to be there.  It was the first time that she had seen either one of them since arriving and her heart leaped at the sight of Quinn.

Caleb looked pleased as he greeted her with a grin and a look at his appearance as if to say sorry. Quinn had a stony look as he looked between the two of them. He was just as filthy as Caleb.

"What have you two been up to?"

"We are working with a few fillies. They are mean little cusses. We just took a break to regroup and grab a bite to eat." Caleb looked at Phoenix with a question.

Phoenix had risen and was watching Quinn closely. "We were just leaving."

He grabbed Dana's arm and pulled her out of the door.

"Dana, what's between the two of you?"

"Who, me and Caleb?" she asked playing dumb.

"No, you and Quinn?  Is he the one?"

Dana nodded looking back over her shoulder at the two men who were bent over the desk looking at something. Quinn looked up at that moment, and his eyes met hers, and she was lost. It was all there, the longing and desire that he felt for her. For a moment it was just the two of them.

"You're crazy if you think that man doesn't want you."

"There's a lot more to it than you realize."

"I see two people who get lost in each other with just a look. That seems pretty simple to me."

"Quinn knows all my secrets, and some of them are not good."

"Well the look he just gave you says he couldn't care less about your secrets."

Dana pushed the hope welling up in her heart back down.  She was not going to go down that road again. It was bad enough that she couldn't seem to get away from the man.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

829 15 8
*Short Story* After a life threatening fall, Quinn Adams becomes stranded in a secluded cabin during a snow storm with the mysterious stranger who s...
1M 43.8K 23
Alice Grant is desperate to get an interview with famous reporter Rainer Stevens since he is the only one who has the information vital to her finish...
0 0 53
Dana a small town woman torn from her past meets the guy of her dreams. But what will happen when they meet. Will her demons get the best of her.
598 43 18
Danielle Russo is a down on her luck twenty year old working from pay check to pay check to feed her addiction as she runs from all her problems unti...