THE Natural Hair Blog.

By LantaSmalls

Tips and guides for hair. More

TAG; Kinks Galore!! [A Magical Hair Blog]
More Hair : )
Update
Tips On Straightening Your Hair And Keeping It Straight!

Factors That Can PREVENT Hairgrowth-

560 16 5
By LantaSmalls

Kinky Kurly Krimes

So some of you may have been doing this "natural thing" for a while and may not seem to hair growth. It may be a case of your hair not getting past a certain post, shoulder length for example or that you just bc'd and you feel like your hair looks like Chris Brown's :(

The good news is that hair is always growing, or at least it should be. In this chapter I will name a few products, habits and routines that can actually reverse and prevent the growth of hair. Also, the case may not be that your hair isn't growing, it may simply be that you arent aware of the growth or you are not retaining length [stagnant length] ; A new chapter of the Hairgrowth series will be up soon on retaining length

Read on, you may just find yourself guilty of some of these kinky kurly hair krimes.

FACTORS WHICH PREVENT HAIRGROWTH:

Products.

Some products that we go out and buy in search of something to aid growth, can actually be harmful and work to prevent hairgrowth. Here are a few products to stay away from:

Kinky Kurly Killers:

-Blue Magic: Yes, yes I know its hard to beleive, that trusted grease moma put on your scalp every time she did your hair, its the enemy. Many newer types of Blue Magic range are available, such as Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Castor Oil Infusions. While these Oils are amazing for your hair, the amount used in Blue Magic products are very minimal, so you would need to keep purchasing the tubs of grease in order to see minimal result. 
It is best to buy the pure oils. In Blue Magic grease there is a higher proportion of ingredients such as petroleum and mineral oil, which is what makes the product so cheap.

What makes this product as well as many other 'greses' bad for your hair is that they contain petrolatum, also known as Vaseline. When you use Vaseline on your lips, it doesn't get absorbed in, it just acts as a barrier for chapped lips, right? It doesn't actually moisturise the lips.

So when you put it on your scalp, petrolatum-based products will sit as a thick layer on top, blocking the hair follicle which means hair cannot grow easily.

Think of a plant growing; you water it, you definately dont put some thick greasy substance all over the soil it grows from.

-DAX-also contains petroleum jelly and mineral oil

>>>>>>>This goes for any hair product which contains petroleum, petrolatum and minerail oil. EVEN, some which claim to be "for natural hair"

Routines

-Too Much Product; like mentioned above, some products ar bad for your hairgrowth. However, with many products, some of which are great for hair growth, using too much will cause the same negative effect of petroleum based products. 

FACTORS THAT CAUSE STAGNANT LENGTH

-Products.

The following products cause stagnant length because they cause breakage. If your hair is growing at the same rate which it is breaking, you will not see any length.

-Sheen Sprays:contain the deadly Mineral Oil, which only coats hair and doesn't moisturise it. This leads to dryness in hair although the sprays often make hair appear shiny, hence the name "sheen spray". Not to worry though, as these sprays seem to be most popularly used on protective styles such as braids and senegalese twists. 

TIPS; use natural oils such as Olive Oil and Coconut Oil to acheive amazing shine AND protection.

-Hairspray: Please don't. Never. Just don't. The purpose of hairspray is to hold hair, but this is done because the main ingredient is Alcohol. Alcohol has extreme drying effects which make hair weaker and more prone to breakage. 

In addition, because hairspray  causes dryness, many girlies are fond of adding a sheen spray on top so hair doesnt look unhealthy. This is just an accumilation of bad kinky kurly killers!

TIPS: look for more natural sprays which dont contain alcohols. You can also make your own hairspray using sugar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnQGaednx5w

-Shampoo; fair enough, now you think I'm crazy. But many shampoos dry out your hair aswell! They contain Sulfates and some even contain Alcohols which are used as they completely strip the hair clean, just like washing your face with soap. But they also strip the hair of the natural oils which provide moisturise.

TIPS; cowash (wash hair with conditioner instead of shampoo). It will cleanse hair as well as infuse hair with moisture. Beware though, some cheap conditioners will contain alcohol and sulfates as well.
- If you find it absolutely necessary to wash hair (if you had a long term protective style, for example) yolu can either use a cleanser (these can be store-bought or you can make your own mudwash for example. Otherwise easy cheap methods involve baking soda, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar) Comment below if you would like more info on these.
If this really seems like it wouldnt be suitable for you, or you try it and it doesnt work well for you, you can also find sulfate free shampoos in many beauty stores.

-Water; lol no i'm joking

Routines

-Extensions: from microbraids to heavier, thick twists; if extensions are not carefully managed and cautiously removed, they can all-too-easily cause breakage. Micros are able to pull at tiny strands easily, especially near the hair line, but heavier twists could weigh down scalp if the size of the braid is not proportionate to the size of the parting for that braid.

TIPS; Also, when taking down braids, the process can get long and tedious, and you might just start going a lottle faster with a tiny bit more aggression in those hands= slow down. If you need to take a break , then do so. Trust me, if you dont, you'll get a whole lot of breakage in your hair

-Wearing Hair Down: Depending on your hair length and the material clothes you are wearing around your shoulders, the ends of your precious locks could be affected. If your hair is shoulder length and the ends rub against the clothes you are wearing, it is important to use protective methods so that your ends don't split and become dry. If they do, you will have to cut the hair, and that is NOT how we retain length.

TIPS; The easiest and best way to ensure your hair doesn't have this issue is to styles your hair in protectice styles such as buns, braids, twists and updos. These keep the ends of your hair tucked away, so they don't get damaged and have to be cut. 

Seal the end of your hair. After moisturising with a water based no petroleum/mineral oil moisturiser, lock in the moisture using an oil, such as Castor Oil or Coconut Oil. This not only locks moisture in making your moisturiser more effective and long lasting, it protects the hair from friction which would highly effect hair if it was exposed.

Wear satin or silk shirts. If you insist on wearing your hair down for an occassion, that is fine! Remember to seal the ends and try to choose a shoulderless top/ spaghetti strings as hair will only rub against you soft skin :) If you are wearing a shirt, try to wear one that is satin or silk as your hair can freely rub against these hair-happy materials.

-Constant Use Of Heat: using too much heat without correct methods can lead to split ands, dryness and breakage. Read my last chapter to see how you can straighten your hair safely:http://www.wattpad.com/20822128-the-natural-hair-blog-tips-on-straightening-your#.UjTEgNK-ouk

The split ends caused by overuse of heat tools of hair (including blowdryers)* leads me to my next point:

-Trimming: Despite the myths and tales you have been told, trimming does NOT cause hair growth; it is scientifically impossible. There are no receptors in your hair that know when you trim your hair and send signals to your scalp to produce more. 
Trimming can be good to eliminate split ends, but it is not necessary to have a specific intervals such as every 6 weeks; THIS IS THE PROBLEM!!!

If you are taking care of your ends keeping them moisturised and sealed as well as covering hair at night, your ends are not likely to need trimming. Constant trimming will result in your hair staying at one length, because you are cutting at the same rate that hair grows.

TIPS; trim hair very minimally, ONLY when necessary. A method called 'dusting' refers to cutting only each individual strand with a split end. Sounds long and tiresome, but sometimes it is better than cutting off a whole months growth (half an inch) of hair.

Prevention is better than cure. Care for your ends and you may find yourself trimming only once a year.

-Overuse Of Hair Accessories and Tools: never ever use metal accesories; they simply can and will rip out your hair and snag them curls gurl.

TIPS;Try to look for ouchless hairbands. Any hair accessory with metal will make your hair prone to damage. In addition, try to finger detangle as combs and brushes could not only strain your scalp but rip out hair when done too vicously.

-Rough Handling Of Wet Or Dry Hair: When hair is very dry, it is extremely prone to snapping. Also, when hair is very wet, it can be susceptible to breakage.

TIPS;Always ensure that hair is at a good state when handling. Also, never handle hair roughly or when angry; your emotions could reflect and your hair dont deserve it boo.

Once again, hope thios article has helped you and that you realise your Kurly Krimes and put an end to them!

Peace, Love &Spread The WORDDD mwah

*Comment down below if you want a chapter on methods of acheiving stretched hair without heat      or any other topics.

                                                                                                                  Topic requested by 'Glorziie' <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 1.6K 37
There will probably be some fluff but there will mostly be smut stories. And I'm very sorry my miss spelling This is my first ever book so please let...
206K 4.8K 54
โ i loved you so hard for a time, i've tried to ration it out all my life. โž kate martin x fem! oc
69.1K 3.2K 74
โค๏ธ
30.5K 575 36
หš ยท . "Welcome to FPE Oneshots!, feel free to make requests." โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค โœŽ ๐™๐™š๐™ฆ๐™ช๐™š๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™จ ๐™–๐™ง๐™š ๐™˜๐™ก๐™ค๐™จ...