In the Eye of the Storm

Por RobThier

In the desert, an instant turns life into death and hate into love. In the desert, everything is different. B... Más

01. Cold and Hot
02. The Sister-Cousin-Fianceé-Secretary-Dogsbody
03. Sweet Reunion on the Rocks
04. Happy Homecoming
05. A Study in Golden
06. Oh Gentle Lady, Spare my Feet...
Want to know what goes on in Mr Ambrose's head? Order S&S Paperback now!
07. To Watch for Fat and Gold
08. Only a Factory Girl
09. Travel Plans
10. The Black Ship
11. Secret Cases
12. The Female Man who is a Woman
13. The Art of Suggestive Name-calling
14. Silent Lips
15. The Plight of My Plighted Troth
16. In Dark Alleys
17. Grannyfaking for Beginners
18. Suspicions
19. True Fake Love
21. Explosions and Abductions
22. Wedding Night a la Ambrose
23. Bizarre Bazaar
24. Cultural Differences
25. Hot and Sweaty
26. A Little Pebble is a Dangerous Thing
27. Trapped
28. Enlightening Darkness
29. Camelkaboom
30. Hot on their Hoofs
31. Gorgeous Gorge
32. The Art of Losing your Way
33. Communication Problems
34. Ambrose
SEQUEL Published NOW!
PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD

20. Favours and Fires

994K 51.4K 160K
Por RobThier

It took the two of them a moment to notice me. Quite impressive, considering the noise I was making, stomping into the room. But then, they appeared to be busy. Very, very busy.

I cleared my throat.

Neither Mr Ambrose nor the female, who, if I wasn't very mistaken, was the daughter of the French ambassador I had seen him dance with not too long ago, paid me the slightest attention. Just when their lips were about to touch, I decided it was time for more drastic measures. Grabbing a nearby side table I pushed, hard, and it toppled it over. The table and everything on it landed on the floor with an almighty, satisfying crash.

Disengaging from each other, they both turned to look at me. The girl's eyes were blinking rapidly in confusion. Mr Ambrose, the devil curse him into all eternity, was looking just as cool and collected as if he had just been sipping tea!

'Hasn't your mother ever taught you to knock before coming in?' he enquired.

The girl looked from me to him and back again. 'Who is sat, 'enry?' she demanded in a heavily accented voice.

'No one of consequence, chérie,' Mr Ambrose assured her.

Chérie?

If it hadn't been before, that was the point at which my blood started boiling. Trying not to look at the two of them or at their rumpled clothes, I stepped forward and picked Mr Ambrose's tailcoat up off the floor.

'Here.' I hurled the thing at him. I was hoping it would hit him in the head, but he caught it, effortlessly. 'Put that on. And you...' Turning to the girl, I pointed a finger at the door. 'Out!'

She stared at me, then turned her gaze to Mr Ambrose. 'Who is sat?'

'I'm his wife,' I informed her coldly. Well, why not? It was true, damn it! Well, sort of.

That made her look at me again, longer this time. It also made her eyebrows shoot up in disbelief. She looked back at Mr Ambrose once more.

'Sis one? Your wife?

'She is,' he allowed. 'In a manner of speaking.'

'Oh. Alors, if sat is se case...' She untangled herself from Mr Ambrose, and curtsied to me. 'I 'ope I 'ave not inconvenienced you, Madame.'

My mouth dropped open, stunned. She didn't seem to suffer from any such problems in dealing with the situation. She just laced up her half-open gown and left the room, not without blowing a kiss to Mr Ambrose in parting.

When the door had closed behind her, I marched up to my so-called husband, who, I saw to my great relief, was completely dressed again by now.

'What was that?' I snapped.

'That? That was Mademoiselle Bertrand, the ambassador's daughter.'

I had been tempted to murder him before, but that was nothing compared to the temptation I had to withstand in that moment.

'I know who she is,' I whispered. 'I want to know what you were doing with her!'

'We were engaged in preparations for a process known, I believe, as "osculating".'

'Osculating? Indeed?'

'Yes. Though sometimes, in a less formal context, one might also use the term "kissing" or "smooching". In any case, the words all denote a common human mating ritual and precursor to congress.'

'You mean you were whoring?'

'Certainly not.' He almost looked indignant. Indignant! He! 'You have to pay a woman to be whoring. She didn't get one penny from me, I can promise you that. What do you take me for?'

I was shaking. I didn't even know why I was so angry – bloody hell, I had no right to be! I wasn't married to him; it was all just a disguise; one, moreover, that I had done my best to fight, subvert and shatter! But...

That was just the problem. But.

'What did I take you for?' My eyes were burning. 'I took you for an honourable man! Apparently, I was mistaken!'

He had turned to the nearest window, to straighten his bow tie in its mirror-like surface. His reflection looked at me, all cool arrogance with a hint of displeased surprise.

'Correct me if I'm wrong, but you do not seem too pleased at my plans to osculate with Mademoiselle Bertrand.'

'Pleased?' My eyes almost bugged out of my sockets. 'You expected me to be pleased?'

'Certainly.' He gave another tug to his bow tie, and nodded, satisfied. 'After all, I undertook the whole matter for your sake.'

'Maybe,' I told him in a voice that could have frozen lava, 'I'm not the most experienced person in male-female interactions, but I fail to see how you can please one woman by kissing another.'

'I should have thought it is quite obvious.' Finished with his bow tie, he now went on to straightening his shirt. He didn't seem to notice that, from behind, I was trying to murder him with my eyes. 'It was clear that you were not pleased at having to play my loving bride. I had to find a solution. Ergo, I set out to find another female to osculate. The girl I selected is an utter gossip monger, and the story of my extra-marital adventure will be all over the hotel in at most half an hour, thus providing you the opportunity to switch from the role of loving wife to boiling angry, jealous and cantankerous wife – a role to which I think you are eminently better suited. Our disguise will once more be perfect, and Dalgliesh's spies will have no reason to suspect we are anything else than what we proclaim to be.' Content with his appearance, he clapped his hands and turned towards me. 'Problem solved, to our mutual satisfaction. There, what do you say?'

I didn't say anything. My mouth was opening and closing, no words coming out.

'Hello?' Mr Ambrose took a step forward. 'Are you all right?'

In a small part of my mind, far from the boiling flood that filled the rest of me, I dispassionately noted that, actually, seen from a logical and unemotional point of view, his explanation had made perfect sense. The only problem was I wasn't very disposed to be logical and unemotional right now.

He took another step forward. 'Are you all right, my love?'

That did it. Those two little words at the end. My eyes, open in shock right up to that moment, narrowed, blazing with fire. I took a step towards him.

'I see,' I said, my voice mild. 'You did all that for my benefit. How thoughtful. So did you just want to let her spread rumours behind my back, or did you plan on me coming in and discovering you?'

He shrugged. 'Either would have sufficed. But I was hoping to draw the thing out until you came. I thought it would be much more effective, and help you more in acting your new role as a jealous wife. Are you pleased with the alteration to the plan?'

He was serious! He was actually serious! God! That man might be the most brilliant financier and businessman to walk the earth since King Croesus, but he had bricks for brains where women were concerned!

'What do you think?' I purred. 'Do I look pleased?'

He regarded me for a few moments. 'Oddly enough... no, you don't.'

'How very observant of you.'

'What is the matter? Do you think my idea won't work? That the Bertrand female won't spread rumours about our tryst through the hotel?'

My eyes sparked. 'Oh, I'm sure she's already at it.'

'Then don't you think that will be enough to distract any watchers who were suspicious of us before?'

'Of course it will.' The fire in my eyes felt like two stars now, burning bright hot. 'Your plan was very well thought out. I'm sure it will work beautifully.' Blast him, but it was! Still, that didn't mean I didn't want to take his head off for it!

'Then what's the matter?'

I was trembling. 'You... you...! Don't you realize? Don't you realize what you've done?'

'Certainly I do. I've made your life a whole lot easier. Next time when we are at dinner, you can snap and shout at me till your heart's content.'

'You bastard!'

His sea-coloured eyes flashed darkly. 'I don't particularly see why you are so aggravated. You are not the one who had to fondle that female.' Wiping his fingers on his sleeve, he shuddered. 'Can you imagine? She actually perfumes her neck with lavender! Bah!'

A muscle in my cheek twitched. It wasn't the one I used for smiling. 'You have my profoundest sympathy.'

'Thank you.'

He thought I meant it! He honestly thought I meant it!

I raised an eyebrow. 'And will you go to bed with her as part of your little charade, too?'

He cocked his head thoughtfully, as if this idea hadn't yet occurred to him. 'Do you think I should? If you believe it necessary, I suppose I could–'

What?

'Argh!' I gripped my head with both hands, trying to keep from pulling my hair out. 'You're impossible!'

'I take objection to that.'

'Oh, you do, do you?'

'Indeed. The matter under discussion has nothing to do with the plausibility of my existence. I am quite certain that I exist. As the philosopher Descartes said, "I think, therefore I am".'

'Well, think about that!' Grabbing an orange from a nearby table, I hurled it at him. He ducked, and the fruit bounced harmlessly off the wall.

He gave an approving nod. 'Quite acceptable acting! That's exactly the kind of attitude you need to project now, for your new role as jealous wife.'

'If you ever come near that hussy gain, I'll kill you, do you hear me? I'll cut off your head, fill it with ice cream and eat it for breakfast!'

He stood there, slowly stroking his finger along his chiselled chin, regarding me consideringly.

'You know, for someone who is only playacting, you are a quite extraordinarily convincing jealous wife.'

'Of course.' I flashed him my tigress smile again. 'After all, you pay me for it.'

'Indeed.'

'So... what now?' Slowly prowling towards him, I eyed his hard, cold figure. 'What do you expect a woman to do? Run off screaming into the night? Crawl away to weep in a corner?'

'Probably.'

My eyes narrowed into slits. 'Ah, but you see, a wife wouldn't do that. At least not one worthy of the title. No, I won't pretend to run off. Instead, since I'm pretending to be your wife, I ought to pretend to be very, very angry at you.'

He considered this for a moment. Finally, he nodded his agreement. 'Yes.'

'Good.'

The first vase missed his head only by inches, shattering against the wall.

'I'm so glad to have your agreement, my dear!'

Grabbing the second vase of flowers from the dresser, I hurled it at him with all the force I could muster, careful to take better aim. He ducked just in time. The vase crashed against a portrait and splintered into a thousand pieces. Marching over to the table, I picked up another and flung it after the first two – but that one flew wide of the target, sailing over his head and out the window. It shattered with a distant, lonesome crash somewhere on the cobblestones outside.

I didn't give him time to recover. Dashing forward like a mad fury, I hurled myself at him and started pounding on his chest.

'I hate you! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!'

'Quite satisfactory,' his cool voice reached my ear, like silk sliding over steel. 'Your acting has significantly improved.'

'Thanks!' My next punch hit him in the stomach. Bloody hell! It was as hard as a slab of granite! I hit again, and satisfaction rushed through me as he uttered a small groan.

'Really, quite significantly improved!' he grunted.

'Here! Take that, you bastard! And that! And that!' His hands shot up, grabbing me around the wrists. 'Let go! Let go, you bloody son of a bachelor!'

'So you can continue to utilize me as your own personal punching bag?' His tone was as dry as it was cold. 'I think not.'

'You... you...!'

'I must say, I am quite impressed, Mr Linton. You play the shrew exceedingly well. One might almost think the performance were genuine.'

'I am just doing my job!'

'Very thoroughly, I must say.'

'Thank you so much, Sir.'

'By the way, you'll pay for that vase out of your wages.'

'I don't give a damn who pays for it! I'm staying here in Egypt as your wife! I'm finishing my job, do you understand?'

There was a moment of silence. He was still holding me in his iron grip, and we stared at each other over the small, insurmountable distance between us, hardly able to make out each other's faces. I was breathing hard.

Maybe a bit too hard for someone who's only pretending to be angry...

That inner voice of mine should really learn to shut up!

'Do you,' I asked taking deep breaths to calm myself, 'understand?'

Another moment of silence. Finally:

'Yes.'

'I'm staying as your wife?'

'Yes.'

My eyes narrowed. 'And you realize that, in that role, I'm going to pretend to hate you passionately?'

Slowly, very slowly, he began to remove his hands from around my wrists. I made no move to attack him again. 'Something tells me that will not be very difficult for you.'

My lips twitched. Upward? Downward? I had no idea. I didn't have a hope of understanding the emotions roiling inside me right now. 'That's what I thought, too. I mean... you are an arrogant son of a bachelor. Nothing should be easier than to hate you, and as your fake wife, that's all I'd have to do to play my role, right?'

His hands let go of my wrists fully, and he took a step back. 'Right.'

His voice was unusually hesitant. He seemed to know that there was something still to come.

'But then I thought...' I took a step forward, towards him. When he stepped back again, I stepped forward once more, following him across the room. 'I thought, since I'm pretending I'm married to you...'

'Yes?'

Another step back for him, another step forward for me. We were at the window now, his waist pressed into the windowsill. He couldn't step back any more, unless he wanted to start a new career as a gory stain on the cobblestones of Alexandria.

'Since I'm supposedly married to you, now matter how much I hate you, I would also have to pretend that I'm still in love with you!' My hands shot forward. Grabbing his collar, I pulled him down until he was on my level and I could glare right into his dark eyes. 'I'd have to pretend to tell you that you're mine, and I'll be damned if I let some French hussy steal you away from me!'

A low rumble erupted from his chest. 'Then I'd have to pretend to say: I don't need a French hussy! I don't want her! I don't want anyone but you!'

I pulled him a few inches closer. 'And I'd have to pretend to say: prove it!'

Maybe I should not have said that. Oh, all right, I definitely should not have said that.

Why?

Because he took me at my word!

In a fraction of a second, his hands were at my face, caressing lightly, holding tightly. His lips crashed down on mine, soft as a feather and hard as a mountain of stone. He invaded me, possessed me, took hold of me. Not just of my mouth, but of all of me. I could feel his hands letting go of my face, picking me up from the floor and carrying me away to...where?

I did not know. I didn't really care.

Through the daze around my mind, I heard a crash. My eyes, closed in bliss up until then, flew open to see the double doors to the master bedroom swinging loosely on their hinges. A moment later, I heard the creak of metal feathers from beneath me and felt something soft at my back. The chaise lounge again?

But... wait just a moment! There was no chaise lounge in the bedroom. It was a bedroom. There was only one thing with feathers in here, and it started with a b!

The realization flooded through me like a whole bucket chain of cold water. I was in bed! I was in bed with a man!

You're both still dressed, aren't you? What's the harm?

The harm? I was a feminist! I was supposed to despise men! That was the harm!

Well, you can despise him far better if you're up close, can't you?

Bloody hell, no!

Just relax. He's still dressed, you're still dressed – this is harmless. And oh... quite nice, by the way. Don't you feel that?

That was the moment when I felt Mr Ambrose's fingers at the buttons of my dress. They didn't seem to be there to check how large the buttons were. No, his intent was an entirely different one. Looking up at his dark form above me, I saw that somehow he had managed to remove his tailcoat again. His shirt was unbuttoned at the top, revealing the smooth, hard planes of his chest.

My breath caught.

'So far, your acting hasn't been bad, my love,' he murmured into my ear, his breath caressing my earlobe. 'But there's one marital duty you've not fulfilled so far.'

A shiver raced down my spine, delicious fear and terrifying wonder in one.

'Oh yes?'

'Yes. We are on our honeymoon, after all. We still haven't had our wedding night. Not a true one.'

His fingers opened the first button. My heartrate picked up, hammering a drumbeat of ecstasy against my ribs.

What was wrong with me? I should be screaming bloody murder! Instead, my heart was ready to explode, and the traitorous corners of my mouth were curving up in a smirk. Reaching up for his free hand, I led it to my lips and placed a single, nipping kiss on the tips of his fingers.

'Indeed? But why should we? After all, Dalgliesh's spies won't know what we do or don't do in private.'

His eyes caught mine and held them. 'They might. They could be watching us right now.'

Another exhilarating thrill went down my back. Not that I truly believed they were, but...

'Do you really think so?' My smirk grew a bit wider, and I gently bit on the pad of his forefinger.

Out of the dark, I heard a cold hiss. 'Definitely! We have no choice but to keep up the pretence, my love.'

'Oh, well, if that's the case...'

I was going mad – completely and utterly mad! That was the only explanation for the words that were coming out of my mouth:

'In that case you had better get on with it, Dick.'

This time, the sound that came out of the dark was an infuriated growl. 'I told you... Do not call me that!'

I laughed. 'Why not, Di–'

My words were cut off by his mouth sealing mine. I wanted to protest – it was bloody rude to interrupt a lady! But his magic tongue started working, and I soon forgot about rudeness, I forgot about the letter r, I forgot about the whole bloody world! What the hell did I care if he was rude, if he could make me feel like this? If he could send flames through my veins and set fire to my secret, hidden pyre?

Without any conscious command, my arms went up around him, pulling him closer until I could feel his rock-hard chest pressing into me. Some part of my mind, somewhere, kept wondering what exactly was going to happen. Truth be told, I had no clue what happened between a husband and wife on their wedding night. My mother had died when I was five, not exactly the right age to share that kind of information with a daughter, and I had never bothered to ask anyone else. After all, why would I? I was a dedicated feminist! I would never give myself up to a man like that!

Only... now I was.

His mouth moved away from mine, over my cheek and my chin, down to my throat. Wherever it went, it left burning brands of bloody unfeminist desire!

'I want you!' he growled out of the darkness.

'I want you, too!' I heard some female with a confoundedly weak and breathy voice whisper. Bloody hell! That couldn't have been me, could it?

Keep calm. It's all right. Remember: you're only pretending. This is all part of your job!

Oh, right. I had nearly forgotten that.

Mr Ambrose's mouth found the little hollow at the base of my throat, and he groaned as he reached it. 'You're so...God! I want you now!'

'Then stop wasting time! Knowledge is power is time is money, remember?' Grabbing the next two buttons, I fumbled, trying to get them open – and when they wouldn't open, just ripped them off! 'Show me your power! Go ahead!'

In a thin beam of moonlight, I briefly saw his eyes. They were burning with cold fire. Uttering a sound that no man, only beasts, should be able to make, he claimed my mouth again, and his hands went to claim the rest of me.

No! That's going too far! I shouldn't...! Should I...? No! No... no... n...... Y-yes... Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yeeees!

My hands slid up towards him and met with the unwelcome barrier of his shirt. Scowling, I gripped it at the placket.

He's not going to like this much, you know. He's going to make you pay for having the buttons stitched back on.

Oh, to hell with the buttons! I got a good grip and, with one tug, ripped his shirt open, surging towards him!

That was the moment when the wall exploded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dear Lords, Ladies & Gentlemen,

Today I've got a significant question to pose to you: Do you believe that "Storm and Silence" should be published as a real book (i.e. ebook and paperback)? Do you want to have Lilly's and Ambrose's story on your bookshelf, maybe with a some extra material from Mr Ambrose's point of view?

If you do, please tell me know your favorite chapter(s) so I can decide which chapters I should include from Mr Ambrose's perspective! I'm eagerly waiting for your fabulous feedback! :)

Yours Truly

Sir Rob

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

6.2K 172 18
Desperate for money, 24 year old Lillian Wright works the night shift, dancing for the lustful eyes of sleazy men at a local strip club just to pay t...
110K 2.4K 27
Cheating With The Billionaire | Previously Titled HER NEW DADDY . . . The man that I'm falling for is a man that I shouldn't want. The odds a...
1.1M 72.6K 82
He placed both his hard, and muscular hands over my upperarms, as he pinned me to the wall ─preventing me from moving. Questions shot my mind like a...
1M 10.3K 16
Running away from the dark past of her life, Sofia McCommer is determined to start new and prove her worth to her family by joining her family busine...