Catch Me // Spider-Man (BOOK...

By LondonaLozzy

All anyone ever wants from life is to feel safe, protected, loved. I never had any of that growing up. If you... More

Chapter 1 - New girl
Chapter 2 - Walk me home
Chapter 3 - What is this?
Chapter 4 - Gracias
Chapter 5 - Watch your back blondie
Chapter 6 - Get out
Chapter 7 - I saw him
Chapter 8 - The bridge
Chapter 9 - Surprise, surprise
Chapter 10 - I know
Chapter 11 - Anything but ok
Chapter 12 - Hide
Chapter 13 - Promise me?
Chapter 15 - A gift
Chapter 16 - Stay with me
Chapter 17 - Finish me
SEQUEL NOW UP

Chapter 14 - I can't lose him

11.2K 309 126
By LondonaLozzy

I ran as fast as my feet would carry me. I ran towards certain danger, I ran to help my friend.

Connors couldn't have been that far away. I knew because the nearer I got to Oscorp and to Gwen the closer the sirens and overhead helicopters were getting too. They were following him, watching his every move. In a way it was a good thing. It gave me a rough idea of where he was.

The last thing I wanted was for Connors or Peter to spot me. Connors because he'd probably rip me to shreds and Peter because he'd never let me anywhere near the building I was heading towards now. I kept to the shadows, the side streets. Stayed out of sight, hoping I could slip through.

In an ideal world Oscorp would be the last place I'd be running towards but right now in reality I had no choice. One of my closest friends was in there oblivious. I sent her there. It was up to me to get her out.

Reaching for my cell phone which I'd deposited into Peter's backpack I dialled Gwen's number, praying to whoever would listen that she'd answer.

"Lauren, hey is everything ok?" She sounded calm, she had no idea what was heading her way.

"That depends." I couldn't hide the exhaustion in my voice.

"On what? Lauren what's wrong?"

"Please tell me you're not still at Oscorp?"

"I'm still waiting on the serum." Oh for the love Ian Somerhalder, why can't someone give me a break?

"Gwen you need to get out of there now."

"There's still eight minutes left."

"I don't care if there is eight minutes or eight seconds. Get out of there now." How more frantic did I need to sound for her to listen to me?

"I don't understand. Why? You asked me to do this."

"Listen to me. Connors is on his way to you right now. He's going to use Oscorp. He needs the disbursement device to infect the city."

"Lauren I can't just leave. We have to stop him." Not the time for gaining a hero complex Gwen. I'm already dealing with one. I don't think I could handle two.

"People are gonna die Gwen."

"All the more reason to make sure this gets finished."

I couldn't help the proud smile that came to my face when she said that. She was risking her own safety to save everyone else, and as I reached the Oscorp service entrance, Gwen still on the other end of the phone I knew I had to help her. If she was willing to risk everything then so was I.

"Fine, then I'm going to help you."

"What? No, Lauren stay away from here."

"It's too late. I'm already in the building."

With that I hung up the phone and went in search of the nearest alarm. Eventually I found one behind the desk in the lobby. I typed in the emergency evacuation code, initiated it and then ran towards the stairs. I made a conscience decision to avoid the elevator. I'd seen too many disaster movies. Whenever shit was going down someone always ended up either trapped or plummeting in one. I was not going to let that be me.

I was up as far as the tenth floor when my cell started to ring again. I really don't have time for this. Crap it was Pete.

"Hey," I tried to say calmly without letting in on the fact I'd broken my promise to go home.

"Why can I hear alarms?" Oh shit.

"I don't know why you can hear alarms Peter. Did you hit your head or something? Wait I've got your bag. How can you have your phone?" Diversion tactics. Worth a shot.

"I keep it in my boot. Oh for god's sake that doesn't matter. Don't mess with me Lauren. Where the hell are you?" He did not sound happy.

"Would you believe me if I said my kitchen?" I'd given up pretending now. He knew me way too well. I think the alarms, heavy panting as I raced up the stairs and nerves in my voice had already given it away though.

"You promised me you'd go home."

"Gwen is at Oscorp Pete. I sent her to do the antidote. I was so caught up in everything I totally forgot until you left and I...I have to get her out Pete. She's my best friend." Ok hold it together Lauren. Hysterics are not going to help right now.

"I'll get Gwen, you stay away from Oscorp. Do you hear me?" It's a bit late for that.

"I'm already there." It came out as nothing more than a whisper. I wish I wasn't telling him this. I wish I was telling him that I was at home, safe. That he didn't have to worry about me.

All I could make out coming from his end was his ragged breathing, and aggravated grunts. I could picture him now exactly. He'd be hiding in an alley somewhere or on a roof top, pacing and gripping on to his masked head. It was scary that I knew that, just from a noise that came out of his nose.

Peter had just begun to mumble my name through the phone, more than likely trying to think up some clever wording to convince me to leave when suddenly, out of nowhere I felt the building start to shake. It rumbled, it lurched.

I continued to climb, determined to get to Gwen. Debris was falling all around me and I knew I didn't have much time.

"Pete?" I shouted into the phone, hoping beyond hope that he was close by and able to help us get out of this mess.

"Pete? PETER?" I yelled even louder when I got no answer. I stopped momentarily on one of the mezzanines and checked the screen on the cell. Just my luck.

"No service. You gotta be kidding me."

Making one final push I ran up the last two flights of stairs, knowing that is where Gwen would be in the lab. If she was right about timing the antidote would be complete in just over a minute. I just wanted to get her, grab the serum and get the hell out of there.

If I'm honest I wasn't happy knowing that it was Peter that had to fix all this, but was there another alternative? He was super human after all. He was the cities only hope, but to me he was so much more than that. I couldn't process what was happening around me right now, never mind contemplate something happening to him. What if that phone call was the last time we ever spoke? What if I never got to tell him how much he means to me?

"GWEN?" I screamed, reaching the lab, throwing myself through the entrance doors and locking them digitally behind me.

"LAUREN?" She darted towards me, throwing her arms around my neck and not letting go for what felt like forever. I'd never seen her so dishevelled and crazed.

"Are you ok?" I asked, pulling myself free from her arms and looking over every inch of her.

"I'm fine." At least that was something I guess.

"Oh my god, Lauren your arm?" Gwen said looking down at my bandaged limb. Blood was seeping through and it was throbbing like your ears after an all night rave. My arm was the least of my problems right now though. We had way bigger lizards to fry. I don't think that's the right analogy is it?

"It'll be ok. Gwen, is it ready?"

"90 seconds tops." 90 seconds too long more like.

As she frantically checked the progress of the serum, I ran to the window, prising one of the emergency panes open so I could look down and see what was going on. Geez we were high up.

Peering down I could see police lights surrounding the building, cars moving slowly in all directions trying to get away and even the odd news helicopter whirring nearby.

There was one thing that caught my attention, one thing above everything else. About 10 floors below us there was a massive hole in the side of the building. It sparked and it curved inwards. Whatever caused it did so from the outside. Whatever caused it was now in the building. Who or what was it? I'll give you one guess.

"Lauren, what is it?" There was no way I could hide the fear in my face no matter how hard I tried. Dr Lizard let me live once, I highly doubt he'd do the same again.

"Connors."

Without another word we dead locked the lab. I worked on the doors and the emergency exits whilst Gwen set off the sprinkler system. We were shrouded in a cloud of smoke, the antidote still needing 30 seconds to complete and now, now we were out of time.

The heavy metal doors that were meant to keep us safe, protected starting to crumble at the force from the other side. Connors was breaking in and it was only a matter of a second or two before he got through.

Not wasting a moment I grabbed hold of Gwen's hand and pulled her into the medical storage closet. There was barely enough room for one person, never mind two.

Gwen was starting to lose it, she was shaking violently, tears were threatening to spill and her breathing was getting louder and more erratic. I didn't blame her. I wasn't much different.

I put my finger to my lips and stared straight at Gwen, my way of telling her not to make a sound. We gripped on to each other's hands, covering our mouths with our free ones and begged silently that we wouldn't be found.

From where we were it was impossible to see what was going on in the lab, it was however obvious that Connors was now inside. We could hear him, his audible exhales, his path of destruction. He was getting closer and closer to our hiding place and I didn't know what the hell to do. Sitting ducks definitely came to mind.

From the crashing noises I could hear him making, it sounded like he was looking for something. Not the antidote. He wouldn't be interested in that. He was trying to turn the city, not heal them.

Wracking my brain it hit me, I knew what he was looking for, I knew all along. How did it slip my mind?

I don't remember seeing the disbursement device in the lab whilst I was there. Connors would need it to deposit his compound into the air. He must know it was here, he was searching so frantically.

Taking my eyes momentarily off of Gwen's face I looked around at the dark closet, a sinking feeling hitting me. I was right to feel that way. There sitting hidden in the corner was the device that the mutant doctor now desperately searched for.

Holy shiitake mushrooms

My breathing started to hitch, I was panicking and after following the direction of my gaze it wasn't long before Gwen worked out why.

I barely had time to move nearer to my best friend, needing her as close as possible when all of a sudden she emitted the loudest and most terrifying scream I have ever heard in all of my life. No sound that I had ever made could compare to that, even with everything I'd been through.

He was there. He was staring right at us. In one swift move mutant Connors ripped the door from its hinges. We didn't stand a chance. God I wish Peter was here right now. Where the hell was he?

I grabbed hold of the first thing my hands landed on, picking up the metal contraption and swinging it at the lizards face. It didn't faze him, it didn't faze him one bit. Catching a glance at the label on the thing I was holding I realised what it was. It was an ignition canister and I didn't hesitate in letting it off. I manoeuvred so Gwen was behind me and held it towards the lizard, bright orange flames flowing in his direction. From the way he reacted, I could have been tickling him with a feather. He paid me and Gwen no attention. He could care less about us. He'd seen what he had come for and that's all he focused on, all he wanted.

Reaching in and taking hold of the disbursement device Connors didn't give us even a glance before moving away and making his way out of the lab. He was really eager to get this done, wasn't he?

When he was out of sight every ounce of strength in my body left and Gwen and I sank to the floor, holding on to each other for dear life. We both cried, both breathed sighs of relief because we were both still ok. I was so ready for this day to be over.

Slowly we stepped out from the safety of the medical closet, looking around at the devastation and still clinging to one another. There was nothing to say he wouldn't turn around and come charging back in.

"ANTIDOTE COMPLETE" the computer system called out, breaking the tense silence. Now it was ready? Typical.

Rummaging through the debris I found Peter's backpack that I had discarded on the floor when I first arrived in the lab.

"Please have service. Please have service," I called out loud, pulling my cell phone free and rushing towards the still open window, hoping that would make a difference.

Two bars. Thank god.

Dialling Pete's number I paced, just like he would.

"Come on Pete, pick up."

"Lauren, why are you calling Peter? We've got to get this antidote to Spider-Man."

"That's what I'm trying to do." Oh crap, that was a major slip up.

"What? How...how are you gonna achieve that by calling Peter?" Gwen stuttered, realisation crossing her features after she went silent for a few moments.

I hung up the phone when Pete failed to pick up. I had to believe that he didn't answer because he was swinging somewhere and couldn't get to it. I couldn't let myself wonder any other possibilities.

"Lauren, my mind is reeling right now and I'm scared and confused. I just need you to be honest with me. I need you to tell me the truth. Is Peter Spider-Man?"

"Gwen, it's..."

"He is, isn't he?"

"Gwen, we don't have time for this. We need to get out of here."

I didn't give her a chance to respond, to question me further. Taking a tight grip on her hand and securing the antidote in my possession I pulled us through the opening in the torn door and went towards the stair well. I'd never run so fast in my life.

"Gwen, go outside, find your Dad and tell him what's happened. We need as much help as we can get." I practically pushed her towards the stairs.

"You're saying that like you're not coming."

"Someone has to stop Connors. Maybe I can do something, maybe I can help."

"Lauren, are you crazy? I'm not leaving without you."

"Please Gwen, you have to go now." I couldn't stop the tears that were pouring down my face. I couldn't go, not knowing Peter was in danger up above. I had to help. I had to be with him.

"You don't want to stay because of Connors do you? This is about Peter, about Spider-Man."

"I can't lose him Gwen. I can't leave."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 28.7K 14
❝I just wish everyone could... you know, be a hero. Help people.❞ ❝If all people were like you, Peter, you wouldn't be a superhero anymore.❞ [tom ho...
10.9K 159 13
Just some Peter Parker imagines for you all. Maybe some Tom Holland too
13.7K 456 13
Book 2/3 ( Happening during Far From Home) 𝘈𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘒𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘣𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘬𝘮𝘢𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘯�...
1M 37.5K 79
❝ and even as we fall, my eyes will still be on you ❞ ✧ ✧ ✧ four identities two teenagers one love ✧ ✧ ✧ | peter parker // oc | | marvel mcu | | pre...