The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina...

By dragonrand100

"This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses whe... More

Prologue
The Boy Without a Fairy
The Curse
Gohma's Lair
Farewells
Hyrule Field
Twilight
A Thief in the Night
Journey to Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Lullaby
The Dancing Goron
Death Mountain
Dodongo's Cavern
Sworn Brothers
Lost in the Woods
Lord Jabu Jabu
The Portal
Written in Blood
Darkest Hour
Seven Years
Broken Mirror
Minuet of the Forest
The Flow of Time...
Children of the Forest
Nightingale
The Kokiri
Song of Storms
Epona
Into the Fire
Bolero of Fire
Volvagia
Mirror, Mirror
Serenade of Water
Lake Hylia
Darkness Within
Tainted Waters
Left Behind
Unlikely Allies
Ice and Fire
Into the Desert
Wounded
Requiem of Spirit
The Pheonix
Shadows Rising
A Demon in Kakariko
The Last Sheikah
Lens of Truth
Into Darkness
Nocturne
Illusions
Bongo Bongo
The Raven
Prelude of Light
Before the Storm
The Queen's Banner
Into the Breach
Time's End
The Demon King
A Demon's Wrath
Hero of Time
Acknowledgements

Epilogue

1.4K 28 53
By dragonrand100

Epilogue

It is with great difficulty that I recall my return to Castletown. Alone, I found myself eight years in the past as a nameless little boy. I returned to the precise moment I pulled the Master Sword from its pedestal. Only this time, the city and the palace were untouched by sword or flame, Ganondorf hadn't pursued me into the Sacred Realm, and Navi was no longer by my side.

After the Triforce rewove the threads of time so that Navi's companion was still alive, I consequently sent her home. At the time, I was unprepared for the grief this decision would bring. Despite this, I do not regret the choice I made.

What I do regret is that here, in this realm, the people will never know how close their beloved kingdom came to disaster. They will never understand that, because of my actions, they were given another chance. Yet, as I write these words, I hope someday that someone will understand.

When last I'd seen Castletown, the city had been a blackened tomb. Even to this day, I can still hear the ReDeads' pitiful moans as they prowled through that endless night. Not a day goes by that I don't recall their harrowing screams, nor the cries of those who died on that terrible night.

My sudden appearance upon the Temple of Time's steps caused quite a stir. I stood atop those stairs, pale and gaunt, an utter wretch. The sight of so many people wandering the streets caught me in a daze, and I barely noticed those turning and pointing towards me.

I think the guards were about to usher me on, no doubt thinking I was nothing more than a street urchin. Had I not been so lost in my churning thoughts, I might have laughed at the bitter irony. In the space of one day, I had gone from being heralded as a Fierce Deity to a nameless street urchin.

Thankfully, Impa came to my rescue soon after and pulled me back through the curious throng of people. She appeared just as she had on the day I met her in the palace. Her eyes were no longer gone, and her hair was tied into a well-kempt ponytail. As she steered me away, I wondered what else had changed. It was an effort not to trip over, as I found it much harder to walk quickly in my ten-year-old body. Impa led me towards the palace, and once we were halfway there, she halted at the mouth of an alley before steering us inside.

"Link?" her voice was gentle, almost motherly. "Where is Navi?"

I didn't meet Impa's gaze. The grief of losing Navi, despite knowing she was safe, was still raw as a freshly opened wound. My eye burned as I forced back a fresh wave of tears, and my throat tightened to the point of losing speech.

"Link?"

Impa placed a hand on my shoulder, and it wasn't until then that I trusted myself to form a coherent reply. "I- I sent her back to the forest."

Only after this did I look up, and her eyes met mine.

"I'm sorry." The sincerity in her voice almost startled me. "You sent her back to be with her companion, didn't you? The one she lost? That was part of what you asked for?"

After Impa had spoken those words, I realized something unexpected. "You remember?" I gasped, unable to hide my shock.

"More than I would like to," Impa answered in a grave tone. Knowing what she meant, I simply nodded.

"The others?"

"Perhaps." Before I could ask, she added, "Zelda does not remember, but..." she drew a deep breath. "All things considered, that is to be expected and is perhaps for the best."

I would later discover that for the Sages, it was as though they had awoken from a long premonition, the last eight years nothing more than a collection of memories.

On the way back to the palace, Impa told me her recollection of the recent events I missed. Much happened as I remembered, except that Ganon's mask vanished three days earlier. Forewarned of the impending disaster, Nabooru had hastily returned to Castletown. With Impa's help, she had arrested the Gerudo king. Koume and Kotake became the victims of their own sorcery and were banished to another realm. If what Nabooru told me is true, they now believe they are the proud owners of a potion shop deep within a swamp, with absolutely no recollection of their former lives.

I wish I could have accompanied Navi to the forest, but the Sages feared it would make the transition more difficult for both of us. I remember arguing often with Sheik and still recall some of my stinging remarks with great shame. Until that moment, however, I had never considered arguing with Impa. Predictably, that was a battle I was destined to lose, and lose I did.

Once we arrived at the palace, Impa announced to all that I was her ward. No doubt the guards who recalled my expedition over the wall were left bewildered, but they dared not question Impa.

For those first few days, I spoke to no one, dazed, confused, and too heartsick for conversation. The food brought to me was left uneaten, and I didn't even rise to tend to the hearth inside my room. Twice, Princess Zelda called on me. I did not return her summons. On the third occasion, she came to my room and knocked on the door, but I could not bear the thought of seeing her. Even now, I can still picture the blade that took her life, still see her blood pooling upon the black stone floor, and still hear that awful gurgle as she tried in vain to draw a final breath. I never stopped to consider that it wasn't easy on Impa either, for she too bore that memory.

I think I lost track of time. I kept to my room and ate so little that what strength I had left began to wane. Impa assigned me tutors to distract me, but I was seldom focused on my lessons. Twice, I was invited to spar with the young prince, Ewan. On both occasions, I let him win. Yet, even in my weakened state, I could have easily beaten him. I didn't go the third time; it was an effort just to consider getting out of bed. I was determined to ignore everyone. In fact, I even ignored the king's summons, which he did not take kindly to. I only got out of that one without being hauled before him because Impa said I was ill. A healer was sent for, but after much prodding and treating me like a child, she shook her head and left, muttering that I was suffering a sickness of the mind, a sickness she was accustomed to seeing in battle-weary veterans, not children.

I recall one morning, some weeks after my return, when I was torn from my dreams by someone pounding on my door. It was latched, but that never seemed to stop Impa from getting inside.

Pulling the sheets over me, which were once again drenched in sweat following a nightmare, I attempted to ignore the disturbance. I wanted to be alone to dwell in my misery; I felt sick with nausea and weaker than a mewling babe. Navi would have chastised me and probably called me a lazy boy while she was at it. Bitterly, I reminded myself she was gone and was no longer mine. I was being selfish, and I knew it. Thinking my visitor was the sword master wondering why I hadn't shown up at first light, or Queen Lilias, who sometimes came to see me, or yet another healer, I pretended to be asleep.

Unfortunately for my sullen self, my visitors were not convinced.

"Link! If you don't open this door right now, I will get Darunia to knock it down!" I was shocked to hear Saria's voice.

I think she would have gotten Darunia to do that, but I wasn't planning to find out. Rising from my bed, I threw on a horribly itchy robe over my tunic and undid the latch, expecting to find Impa and Saria, or even Darunia. However, I had not expected to find all six Sages and Zelda standing outside the door. Their troubled expressions turned to a mixture of relief and pity... except for Ruto, that is.

"About time!" she exclaimed. Her reaction gave me an odd sense of relief. At least someone wasn't trying to treat me differently.

"Sorry, I was..." I fumbled for words, "Indisposed."

Despite everything that had happened, I was still surprised to see how much shorter Ruto was. I decided it wouldn't be wise to mention that.

"Do you have any idea how difficult it was to convince my father to send an entire entourage of Zora over here?" she asked with rising ire. "I had to ask Zelda to forge a letter from her father before he would let us. I was worried I would have to come next month with my father's party. It would take him a week to get here."

To my irritation, the Sages let themselves into my room. I was somewhat annoyed at this, and I glanced away from Zelda as she entered. I remember thinking it was a good thing the palace was designed to accommodate Goron dignitaries, or else Darunia would have been left standing outside. Nabooru brought a tray of cakes, looking immensely pleased with herself. I guessed why; food often vanished from the palace kitchens when she was around.

Impa came in last and offered a not-so-apologetic smile. A servant scurried in afterwards, hurriedly opening the shutters to let in the morning air. She began cleaning the room, scowling at its state and muttering under her breath until Impa cast her a sharp glare.

"What... what are you all doing here?" I asked, ignoring the servant, who was still scowling.

"Well, since you seemed so insistent on avoiding us, we decided to come to you," Ruto said. "You forgot to return my Sapphire, remember?"

"Your... what?"  I could not recall having it and was almost outraged at the accusation.

Rauru cleared his throat. "You need not fear; I returned it on your behalf, and I am sure that Ruto bears no ill will towards you for its delayed return."

The disapproval in Rauru's voice was plain. Judging by the frown he directed at Ruto, he was clearly unimpressed by her woeful attempt to break me from my self-pity.

"We came to see you," Saria said. "We've been worried about you."

"I'm fine," I lied, hating how harsh I sounded.

"Nice try, kid," Nabooru said. "But you're a terrible liar, and you look like a dodongo's breakfast." Darunia snorted, the sound so loud I nearly jumped. Nabooru ignored him and went on, "Impa told us you locked yourself in here. If you stay much longer, you will miss the Spring Festival."

I walked over to the chair by the cold hearth and sat. "I don't want to go."

The Sages exchanged anxious looks, and when they directed their gazes towards me, I turned away. Impa said something to the servant, and the girl bustled out of the room without question.

"Have something to eat. You'll feel better." Nabooru proffered the tray of cakes. "I brought plenty."

"Are they from the kitchens?" Impa asked. Nabooru only grinned.

"It wasn't like they were about to run out," she said innocently. "Besides, I have a reputation to keep."

"You like that people call the Gerudo thieves?'" Zelda asked.

"No," Nabooru admitted. "But I might as well act the part. Besides, I only steal from the rich."

"I think Nabooru is joking," Impa assured her. I remember thinking that the silly banter was meant for my benefit. It didn't work.

"I hear you jousted with Prince Ewan," Ruto tried. "Zelda told me he beat you, twice."

"Link let him win," said Zelda. "Didn't you?"

"Hurting a prince is a good way to get your head axed," I said coldly, almost wincing at my words.

"Hmm... that's a bit black. Don't you think?" Nabooru asked mildly.

"It's the truth," I replied.

"My father would never do something like that," Zelda said, sounding offended.

"I don't think he meant it, Zelda," Impa reassured her gently.

It was then I realized how childish I was beginning to sound.

"I'm sorry," I said in a quiet tone. I looked up at them, still trying to avoid eye contact with Zelda. "It's just... I've had a lot to take in."

"Like discovering you've shrunk?" Ruto asked. "Well, it's not like any of us can relate to that. Right!?"

I winced.

"You know, Link, Navi misses you," Saria said quietly. "We could go to the forest if you prefer somewhere quieter. You always did like it in the meadow." She paused, smiling sadly. "Navi would like to see you, even if it's only for a few hours. I think it would do you both some good."

I stared into the fireplace. The cold hearth seemed a fitting analogy to how I felt. All the energy I once possessed was gone, burned away until there was nothing left but ashes. I was exhausted, both physically and mentally.

Impa sighed. "Zelda, wait outside, please."

"But-"

"Now, and I will know if you attempt to listen through the keyhole. That goes for your brother too!"

I heard Zelda leave the room, and I looked up in time to see the princess glance at me.

That horrid memory stirred again, and I shivered.

"I know you're hurting, Link," Impa said, almost soothingly. "We all remember what happened. All of it. You're not alone in this, and we want to help you."

"Except Ruto- she just wanted her stone back," Nabooru said.

"I did not!" Ruto snapped. She leapt off the bed, webbed hands on her hips as she glowered at Nabooru. "Do you have any idea what it's like waking up with the memories of a queen no one remembers? I keep thinking people will follow my orders. Now, all they do is laugh behind my back whenever I try to boss them around."

"Ruto, you've always expected that everyone will obey your orders," Saria pointed out, sounding like this was rather obvious. Neither she nor Nabooru looked in the least bit bothered by the Zora's outburst. Seeing that neither Sage was riled by her outcry, Ruto sat back down on the bed.

It was only after Ruto and Saria's brief exchange that I found the strength to look up. Shame sickened me as I realized that I had completely ignored them.

"How are you still a Sage, Ruto?" I asked, trying to avoid the painful realization they were dealing with their own memories. I had known that, but I'd never considered how difficult it must be for them.

Ruto shifted on the bed, glancing away, looking unhappy. "I'm not, technically. My father chose another Zora to take the position until I'm of age."

"Who?"

"You haven't met them, but they're not as competent at magic as I was," Ruto sniffed.

"Ganondorf was captured by Nabooru and the Gerudo," Rauru said. "When you touched the Triforce, it dispelled his control over the minds of the king, his council, and the Gerudo. He is to be executed on the eve of the Spring Festival."

"It would be best if you remained here," Impa said. "Given what you have already been through."

I wanted to object to that too, but there was no changing Impa's mind.

"I understand," I said.

"I'm glad," Impa replied. "I do, however, expect you to attend the Spring Festival. I think perhaps a visit to the woods will do you good."

I realized that neither Saria, Impa, nor the other Sages were going to give up until they had dragged me from this room. I sighed before admitting, "Alright, I'll go."

"How about we go hunting in the meantime?" Saria asked.

Saria smiled, and a part of me stirred. I felt so numb that I had forgotten what it was like to enjoy the company of friends. Navi's departure had left a hole inside of me, as though someone had ripped a piece of my soul away. It has long been my belief that when two companions are as close to each other as Navi and I were, they give each other a piece of their soul to treasure. So it was with Navi and I. It was foolish of me to think that she intentionally left; I let her go on purpose. I was a Hylian, and she belonged with her kind and the Kokiri.

"You hate hunting," I pointed out to Saria, not particularly eager about the whole idea. I had witnessed so much bloodshed that the thought of causing more, even if it were just to gain food, abhorred me.

"I can handle it," Saria said, though I'm sure this was said for my benefit. "Otherwise, there's always fishing."

"How did sitting on a river bank with a stick ever get called fishing?" Ruto said. "It looks so boring... you have to hope the fish is dumb enough to get caught. There is no skill in it whatsoever."

"We find it works quite well," Saria said mildly. "Why don't you do all the work and catch everything if you're so good at it, Ruto? We can just make ourselves a fire and wait while you do all the work."

"Yeah. Sure, and I'll eat them all while I'm at it," Ruto replied, folding her arms and staring at Saria with a playful smile. "Bones and all."

"Hard work is a well-tested cure for a wandering mind," Impa said in a mild tone. "fI training with the guard doesn't appeal to you, then perhaps we could set you to scrubbing the pots in the kitchen... actually, no, perhaps that would be a bad idea."

"Yeah. The poor pots wouldn't know what hit them," Ruto said, eliciting a slightly sardonic smile from Impa that quickly faded.

I managed a slight grin at that, but it felt more like a spasm. 

"Link?" Saria asked, still waiting for my reply. "Come on. It'll be fun."

I could still see the concern in her eyes; for a moment. "Give me time to think about it."

Saria stared at me flatly.

"All right," I agreed. "I'll come."

"Excellent," Impa said, clasping her hands in front of her. "I'm glad that's settled. Now. There are other matters I would discuss, but only after you've eaten."

The Sages spoke at length about a number of things, and Impa had a servant bring a horrible broth I was forced to endure. It seemed I had eaten so little that my stomach would accept little else, not even Nabooru's cakes. Then, after Nabooru complained that my room could have given a yeti frostbite, Impa sent for a servant, and soon had them scurrying off to fetch a bucket of wood for the fire.

I remember after the Sages left, each promising that they would soon return, that Zelda came back into my room, catching me off guard.

"Link?" she asked cautiously.

Again, I avoided her gaze. "I don't want to talk right now," I mumbled. "Please."

She didn't go away. Instead, she sat on the bed where Nabooru had perched before.

"Impa has not told me much, but... I can tell by the way you avoid my eyes." I could hear the hesitation in her voice. "You won't even look at me, and even Impa can't meet my eyes without pain. Something happened to me in that future you came from. Didn't it?"

I cursed my inability to keep myself from holding back the tears from my eye. I rubbed my cheek with a grimy sleeve. In my mind, I could see that blade again, and I was sure I was going to be ill. "Please, just leave me, Zelda."

"It is okay," she continued. "I understand if you do not want to tell me."

She turned toward the door. When she was halfway there, she paused. "You know, Impa says it helps to write things down if they're hurting you. Maybe you could write about what happened. It might make it easier."

I snorted disdainfully. "Even if I could, nobody would believe it."

"I would," she said. 

I didn't want to inflict the kind of pain that knowledge would cause her. I didn't even think, so young as she was, that she would understand. Besides, she didn't need to understand how, in the future I'd left behind, nearly all her family and many others she'd known had died. Nor did she need to know about the horrors that both Sheik and I had witnessed as we struggled to free Hyrule from Ganondorf's tyranny.

"It doesn't matter," I said, feeling irrationally angry. I just wanted to be alone. I knew Zelda meant well, but she was bringing too many memories close to the surface."I can't read or write anyway."

"I can teach you," Zelda replied, sounding earnest.

For the first time, I met her eyes. "You would?"

"If you want to," Zelda answered. "I am sure Impa would not mind. Besides, it'snbnot that hard."

"I..." Fighting back the part of me wanting her to go away, I blinked back tears and managed, "That would mean a lot, thank you."

Zelda smiled, and then, with a sweep of her dress, made for the door. She was almost there before she halted in her stride. "By the way, the queen has a gift for you." She turned and regarded me. "It would be impolite to refuse, and I think you'll like it."

Without another word, she strode out into the corridor beyond.

It wasn't until after Zelda left that I realized what she'd left behind on the bed- the Ocarina of Time. I took it, tried to make myself look presentable, and went in search of the queen.

Her gift turned out to be a young, spirited hound.

"Every boy needs one," she told me. "But best you keep him out of the way of the cooks."

I thanked her, letting the erratic canine dance around my feet in a dizzying circle, its tail wagging all the while.

Bidding the queen farewell, I led my newfound companion back to my room.

Spring Festival came quickly that year, and I did see Navi again. She was furious at my decision to send her back to the forest without even asking. Saria managed to calm her down, helping her understand that I had given her another chance to be with Doran, as was meant to be. I returned to Hyrule Castle in time to partake in the celebration of the new spring. It was a noisy affair, in which I was dressed in a ridiculous outfit of royal blue that Zelda insisted was perfectly normal. It did not feel normal. It was heavy, and the blue cap with its royal insignia was not as comfortable as I would have liked.

The Sages appeared towards the feast's end, but their tidings weren't glad. They had accomplished their task, but not without difficulty. The inexperienced Zora Sage had nearly botched Ganondorf's execution at the cost of his own life.

Following the Gerudo council's decision to strip Ganondorf of his royal title, his allies had made themselves scarce, and Nabooru was left with the arduous task of rounding them up. It seems that at least one of Ganondorf's supporters had convinced the Water Sage to get too close to the former Gerudo king. What happened next remains unclear. Somehow, Ganondorf attacked the Zora Sage's mind. Far weaker than the others, the Sage of Water was quickly overcome.

The execution required the Seven Sages' combined effort, including the mage who went in Zelda's place. Instead, there were only six, and the binding spell on Ganondorf snapped. The result was nearly disastrous. Fortunately, Rauru had already instructed the Sages on what to do should the execution go awry. Having recalled Ganondorf's stubborn refusal to stay dead, and given my knowledge of what would happen, Rauru had devised a second plan.

There lies within the Sacred Realm, a desolate, isolated region, that no spirit will willingly wander near. A prison cast in an endless twilight that neither mortal nor god can escape. Such was Ganondorf's fate to be cast into that darkness. It is ironic that after all the effort to keep him out, Ganondorf's wish to enter the Sacred Realm was- in a way- granted.

King Nohansen, who witnessed the botched execution, was left to contend with an outraged emissary of Gerudo and Zora. Both demanded to know why things had gone so wrong. To this day, Ruto regrets that she could not have gone in her representative's stead. I know that if she had, it would have been her blood spilled upon the sands of Arbiter's Ground. If that had happened, the Zora would have probably turned on their Hylian allies in retribution.

Zelda kept her promise. She taught me how to read and write in between her lessons and many a night was spent beside one of the hearths in the Great Hall. As the years dragged on, I saw less of her and the Sages as they became wrapped in their various duties. The nightmares still haunted me, and without potions to deaden my mind, sleep eluded me. In time, I healed, just as my elder self- if I could him that- had predicted. But I didn't heal completely; a scar is never as good as the flesh it replaces.

Sometimes those old scars still hurt, or so it seemed. Sometimes I'm not sure if the pain was nothing more than the product of a tormented soul. I could not wander through the Castle, nor the streets of Castletown, without revisiting those memories.

Seeking solace, I sought out Malon in the small hamlet of Lon Lon. Although much of history was rewritten, she at least remembered me. I think my scarred appearance horrified her at first. But in time, as Talon agreed to take me on as a farm hand, she took little notice of them. I did not mind the work, as it gave me less time to think, which was something I did far too often. Eventually, I won back Malon's affections.

I was still sworn to Impa's service and frequently made trips back and forth to the Castle whenever she summoned me. I was there the day Zelda was crowned queen. She married Prince Eugene, who thankfully was less of a brat than the spoilt boy I'd heard of. As for Queen Lileas' second son, he was born without any complications and grew into a handsome young man.

After Zelda's coronation, I slipped away from palace life. The lavish corridors and lifeless stone walls carried none of the vibrant colours of my childhood home. Even the gardens seemed far too tidy and tame. Fake even- though I'm sure Zelda would not approve of such a sentiment. I still venture into the woods occasionally. There is a place amidst the ancient guardians- close to the Forest Temple- that I enjoy visiting. Even though the Kokiri have long since moved to other groves deeper into the woods, or travelled across the mountains to tend to forests in the lands beyond, there is a place that Saria and I call our own. I know that if ever I need her and play her song, she will come. She never strays far from the Kokiri's home.

There are still times when I wake up expecting to find Navi nearby, to hear her berate me for sleeping in, or calling, "Hey, listen." Even that would have been better than the emptiness that plagued me. She won't return. I know that now, but I also know that she is at peace, and for that, I am content. As a wise man once told me- wherever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time, is for us to decide.

Malon has taken an apt for her father's trade. Her horses are amongst the finest stock in Hyrule, and she is more than pleased to proclaim that to anyone who listens. Besides the Sages, she is the only one who knows what happened in that future I averted. I spared Malon the details of what happened to her. Someday I am certain our children will wonder about my nightmares. Children always wonder.

Halvard knows what happened too. His close watch over me after I went back in time, discreet as he was, left me with little doubt that the other Sages had sent him to watch over me. He told me Majora was gone. Feigning dismay, he'd rambled about losing a precious artifact which had been destroyed. Upon realizing I knew what he was talking about, he feigned surprise and assured me it was nothing to be concerned about. His gaze kept drifting to the right side of my face, and his grin turned into an icy grimace. He knew.

Winter's end is close and evening draws near. The candle burns low as I write these words, and my fingers are stained with ink. The tray of food Malon brought me has long since gone cold. She truly hates it when I do that, and I will most likely cop an earful. My dog lies sprawled out before the crackling hearth, no doubt lost in dreams of hunting a rabbit or squirrel.

It is for my children that I decided to go on. But, as I watch the four boys and their little sister play, I wonder how long this peace I brought them will hold. For I know, that despite Rauru's efforts, Ganondorf will one day return. I wish there were a way I could make sure we are ready, and I wonder if these words are truly enough for the days to come. He will return, but not in my lifetime. I know the Hero will be reborn and hope that perhaps these words may guide him upon his path. I hope that his task will not be as difficult as mine, but of that, amongst many things, I cannot be certain. For the burden of the hero is not light, and I would not wish it upon anyone.

In my heart, despite the fact that Ganon will one day return, I am certain we will be ready. The Wheel of Time turns, and memories become legends that ride upon the Winds of Time...

~ From the writings of Link Aldamear, The Hero of Time

"That's...it?"

Startled by the question, the bleary-eyed youth looked up from the pages of the yellowed tome.

Somewhere in the shadows, beyond the light of his hearth, his companion muttered a string of obscenities under her breath. She didn't move into the firelight, but the blonde-haired youth was no stranger to this odd behaviour. The boy almost smirked, certain that his guest's irritable muttering was because she wasn't able to translate the tome herself.

"That's it," he answered her before looking back down at the tome.

"You went through all the trouble of finding that book, claiming it would help us, and then what?" the girl asked incredulously. "It hasn't told us anything useful!"

"Actually, it has."

"Oh, yeah, like what?" she chastised. "This is the last time I ever let you take us on a wild cuccoo chase!"

The youth smiled, doubting his companion would understand. There were some things that he always wanted answers to. Answers that nobody in Ordon could give him.

He stirred the fire's coals and then turned to collect the dusty old tome. He set it on the shelf near his bed, and for a long time, he stared at it, lost in rumination. The book was one of few copies of the man's journals outside of the palace. The Hero's stories were a favourite of minstrels, and nobody seemed quite certain whether they were real, or merely a legend that emerged with time. Only now, the youth realized they were true. Shad and Rusl had not been lying. They were real.

He felt as if an enormous weight lifted from his shoulders. He wasn't alone.

Thank you. He stared at the tome for the longest time, even prompting a concerned question from his guest.

Just as he answered, his sharp hearing caught the faint whisper of paws outside, and he glanced out the window, certain they were being watched. There in the pale moonlight, he caught a glimpse of a wolf with golden fur, its one eye watching his small dwelling. Link's horse was either unperturbed by the newcomer, or couldn't see it. As if aware it was being watched, the wolf slinked away between the trees, vanishing into the night.

Link knew it wouldn't wander far. It never did.

The youth collapsed upon the bed, his tired mind far from the confines of his cozy little home.

He stared up at the ceiling, his mind wandering to a forgotten time, to an ancient grove, and a boy without a fairy...

~ The End ~

Acknowledgements

Thank you to those who assisted me with this final chapter. Also, thank you to all my readers for reading this story. Your support has meant a lot to me.

Epilogue inspired by the Farseer Trilogies by Robin Hobb.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

361 3 20
this is a story of Link and Impa a how their relationship start Impa fell for Link they become friends 7 years later boyfriend and girlfriend after...
668 2 43
Treated as an outcast amongst the mysterious Kokiri children, Link was always different from the others. It wasn't until the Great Deku Tree finally...
2.8K 145 102
Ganondorf is imprisoned. The barriers protecting Hyrule have broken down and a new evil from the south emerges threatening all who live. Link, Zelda...
67.8K 1K 37
Princess Zelda, her trusty knight, Link, and her fellow champions of Hyrule go on a desperate mission to find and defeat Calamity Ganon. However, whe...