Anti Mary-Sue Character Guide

By seza123

Here is just my list of tips of how to avoid creating/writing a Mary-Sue character. Take them as you wish. Gr... More

Mary-Sue?
Section 1.1 - Story setting
1.2 - Applying a Character to a Setting
1.3 - Status
Gary-Stu
Section 2.1 - Appearance
Disclaimer
2.2 - Hair Colour
Albinos
2.3 - Eyes
2.4 - Tattoos
2.5 - Piercings
2.6 - (More) Hair
2.7 - Make-up
2.8 - Scars
2.9 - Body Shape
2.10 - Colour Changes
Gingers Without Freckles
My Mary Sue
Section 3.1 - Name
3.2 - Names in Settings and Context
3.3 - Names With Meanings Unfitting names that mean something
3.4 - Stereotypical Names
RP
Section 4.1 - Personality
4.2 - Cardboard Cutouts
4.3 - Overused Personalities
4.4 - Flawless Sass and Wit
1K!
Section 5.1 - Backstory
5.2 - Orphan
5.3 - Scientist Father/Mother
Section 6 - Interests
2K!
Section 8 - Accents
8.2 - Nationalities
Section 9.1 - Powers
9.2 - Powers/Abilities
9.3 - Weapons
Nekos
5K!
Section 10 - Interactions with other characters
Section 10A - Connections with Readers
Age
Section 11 - Faults and Flaws
Staying Consistant
Mary-Sue test
Unoffically Finished
Thank You!
So Behind!
100K
Recolours
Anime/Manga
Copying Cannon Characters - Fanfiction

Section 7 - Clothes

2.8K 195 93
By seza123

(I know the picture is a really bad quality but it's my earlier Mary-Sue!)

So this small chapter specifically applies to the original characters that get drawn but can also apply to the Marvelous writers that know what description is.

What clothing a character wears will no doubt be linked to a variety of things e.g. Wealth, interests, personality. But there are other things to consider as well.

For instance, make sure you check what clothing actually existed in the era you're talking about.

I'd also suggest making whatever clothing you chose to dress your characters in is appropriate. That bikini might look super cute but please don't wear it to school. CanYouBelieveThatI also brought up a good point in the comments about skirt lengths which would be good to read over. We all know about too short but they brought up the point of fighters in long skirts. Check it out in the comments.

And while I'm on the topic of bodily exposure, not all female fighters need to wear skimpy armour that barely covers the stomach. I go to comic con, I know that some girls do but typically these are the women with great figures. What I'm trying to say is that a lot of 'perfectly shaped' Mary-Sue's wear skimpy clothing that is totally impractical and just draws more attention to them.

This of course applies to the good old Gary-Stu but normally these guys are just shirtless.

@Insanity_isnt_dead also pointed out that the status of a character would have huge implications to the brand of clothing they wear. A poorer character wouldn't wear designer clothes and if they did own something expensive, they would be incredibly proud of it. Be careful of this and again, read the original comment.

Both suggestions are written better in the comments.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

500 4 1
Over thirty reasons why I wouldn't choose someone to review my characters.
9.3K 203 33
Do you find yourself writing he nodded, she shook her head, he shrugged, over and over again? It gets tedious, and doesn't help at all when it comes...
23K 345 74
Stop writing like that.... Just some things and stuff about fanfiction I've seen a couple of these with certain fandoms and I love those stories and...
2.4K 80 12
Want to know what a Mary-Sue is? Want a few writing tips along the way? Look no further. I discuss character development through making the charac...