Dibs! (Lesbian, GxG)

By itsabadluckcharm

Before Jules interrupted Callie's lunch hour with a (not so subtle) "Dibs!", Callie was a quiet girl whose on... More

IMPORTANT NOTE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 29

16K 779 186
By itsabadluckcharm

It feels as if the encounter with Logan had fired up something inside me. I still need the meds, but I at least don't look down when I enter the high school. At least, I don't look down more than usual.

     May catches my attention when I get to my locker. "Anything new with Jules?" she asks. I haven't told her about the recent emotions yet. I doubt that now's a good time.

     "I guess," I answer. I open the locker and get out the textbook for first period.

     It doesn't take my best friend long to say, "You like her now, don't you?"

     "Are there rumors around about that as well?"

     She gives me a look. "What rumors?" she asks. "Why? Did something actually happen?" My face must have been more revealing than a book; her eyes widen. "No, really? How did Jules get you to do it?"

    "Wait, what? No!" I say a little too loudly. I slam the locker door shut. "She just yelled at me. That was it."

     "Uh-huh." May crosses her arms. "Exactly what did she yell at you about?"

     "You know, the important stuff." 

     "And this 'important stuff' includes . . ."

     I put my fingers on my temple. "Sometimes, I forget how pushy you can be," I grumble.

     "Only when I have to be," May replies happily.

     We walk quietly to my classroom, and I drop off my things at my desk. Since we have about ten minutes before class starts, I figure that I can just walk around, doing pretty much nothing. May heads off when a couple of girls wave her over, shouting about something to do with hairstyles.

     I turn a corner when someone grabs me around the waist and pulls me aside. "Hallo!" Jules chirps. Her jacket sleeve rolls up, revealing a caffeine patch. I guess drinking coffee is out of fashion. "Did you hear me? I said 'hallo!'"

     "I heard. You were shouting in my ear."

     "Oh." The pause doesn't last. "Yay! I can hug you without you going all complain-y about it!" With that said, she puts my arms around her neck. "There, now we're both hugging!"

      I'd say something in response to that, but I notice there aren't many people paying attention to their surroundings. Instead, I just keep my arms where Jules put them. I can feel my face heating up, even though I've hugged her before. She puts her chin on my shoulder, obviously enjoying this.

     She lets go of me soon. I have to admit that I don't want to let go just yet. "Come on, I'm bored," she states. A tie is loosely hanging from her neck, and Jules straightens it as best as she can.

     "Where are we going?" I ask. She grabs my hand and starts dragging me towards the campus.

     "You'll see!" is all Jules will say.

     "That's not helpful," I protest.

     We pass several people, some of them calling out, "Junkies in love!" Like usual, Jules ignores them. I, however, just stare them down as best as I can while being pulled forward. It's not that easy to do.

     For a second, I assume we were going to pass the library. Nope; Jules hops up on the steps and waits for me to catch up, now that she's let go of me. "You're so slow!" she accuses.

     "Am not." I bring up my foot slooooowly to the next step. Jules grunts in mild annoyance and pulls me up. I start to laugh. "What? Instant reaction," I say. "Don't tell me you wouldn't pull that stunt as well."

     Jules ignores my comment and makes a gesture for me to stay where I am. Well, I think that's what her swooping hand meant; it could be that she's secretly a witch, and she has just cursed my feet.

     She goes inside the library, letting the cardboard fall out of its place. She quickly comes back out, a spiral book in her hands. "See? This is what I wanted to show you," she says. 

     I start feeling a little uneasy, considering what happened last time. My stomach drops--kind of like when you're on a roller coaster and you're going down really fast, with the exception that mine isn't all that good--when I see a picture of my favorite violinist and her name spelled out right above her.

     "Isn't that cool?" Jules asks after a long silence has passed. "It has all the facts about her, and there's even a few pieces in sheet music in there!" I look up to see her smile. 

     "How'd you know Lindsey Stirling's my favorite?" I ask. Oh thank you, Jules, for this wonderful book, a part of me mocks. If this keeps up, that part of me and I aren't going to be friends anymore. Not that I have any strange voices in my head.

     Moving on.

     "I checked on Facebook," Jules says. "She's in your favorites section on your profile."

     A smile creeps on my face as I open the book and notice the glossy pages are full of colors, as if whoever put this together thought black was too professional. True to Jules' word, every chapter ends with a piece Lindsey herself had created. And every other page has pictures of her from childhood to recent. I make a note to ask the librarian where she found this book so I can get a personal copy.

     As I'm admiring the book, Jules takes out her phone, now vibrating loudly. She answers it with a "Wha?"

     Pause.

     "Really? Another trip?"

     Pause.

     "Wait, how long did you say? Just until tomorrow morning?"

     Pause.

     "Oh. Am I invited?"

     Pause.

     "Awww, I never go anywhere fun with you guys. Why are you telling me this?"

     Yet another pause.

     Jules shifts her phone from one ear to the other. "Do you really have to go on this trip?" One final pause before she adds, "Fine. Bye." She hangs up her phone and puts it back in her pocket.

     "What was that for?" I ask.

     "Randy told me that he and the rest of the family are going on an overnight trip to who-knows-what besides them. I think a place for people eighteen and over was mentioned."

     "Okay. Why did he call you this early in the morning?"

     "I don't know. He told me this just happened, and that my Mom and Dad would rather I spend the night somewhere else until they come back home." I figured after a moment of deep thinking, Jules would come to, "Gasp! Can I spend the night at your place? I never went there."

     Uncertain as to whether it's a good idea to spring this on Mom, I stammer, "I-I don't know if Mom will like that. I mean, she has to work a late shift tonight, and then there's Nan, who I think will annoy you, and--" 

     Jules interrupts me. "Cool! About the sister trying to annoy me, I mean. Why don't you text your mom and ask her if I can?"

     Eyeing her, I contemplate it. It's only one night, and I can keep her from being too aggravating if it ever comes to that. Apparently remembering the tie, she tries to straighten it again. I extend both my hands and smack hers away so I can tighten it. "Do you have a bobby pin or something?" I ask. Said bobby pin is placed on my waiting hand. "Thanks." I pin the tie to her flannel shirt.

     I take a step back, and Jules turns her back to me, her shoulders hunched over. "Jules, what are you--" I peer over her shoulder. "What? How?!"

     She's pressed sent before handing back my phone. "You were so close to me," she explains. "It was easy."

     Showing her my phone, I question, "Do I need to tell Mom that no, I'm not going to become a pyromaniac, and 'I' only asked her for a fire extinguisher for a project?" Jules shakes her head. "Okay, good. Mom has one troubled child already; she doesn't need to worry too much about me."

     My phone buzzes, and I look at it.

     Mom: Of course she can come over! She hasn't been arrested yet, has she?

     I snicker. "What? What did she say?" Jules asks.

     "Nothing that you'd understand," I respond.

     Callie: No, unless there's a Serene Police Department. Then she's been arrested by them by at least several times.

     Mom: Funny. Make sure she doesn't find my chocolate stash.

     Callie: You have a chocolate stash?! Where?

     Mom: Um, nope. What stash? I didn't say that.

     By now, Jules is trying to look at the screen. I put the phone away. Jules gives me a disappointed look. "Basically, Mom says you can come over," I say.

     Her face brightens. "Yay! We're going to have so much fun! We can draw faces on our toes, or make a silly dance to go with a serious song, or--"

    I look up at the sky. "I don't think letting you meet my sister would be a good idea, ever."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

357 46 11
High school provides a fresh start and more opportunities for everyone, even Jade Harper - a girl who hates her natural musical talent. Instead of pu...
4.9K 546 23
As a college freshman, Violet Riley is plagued with questions about her future. It is why a distraction is the last thing she needs or wants right no...
3.2K 243 31
Charlie doesn't want anything to do with love, while Julian gets a taste of it for the first time. How can two impossibly stuborn people even begin t...
7.7K 962 19
Ethan Wong, an ex-prodigy violinist, thinks it's not meant to be. After his latest mental breakdown at his last violin competition, where he placed...