Can You Keep A Secret? (The O...

Av fleetwoodmacca

"You lied to me," He insinuated. I felt my heart leap to my throat, this can't be happening. "It was a mist... Mer

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25

Chapter 24

1.3K 56 62
Av fleetwoodmacca

Sadie’s P.O.V

It took me longer than anyone else to realize what had just happened.

But when Soda leaped to his feet, cheering loudly beside me, I realized she was safe at home.

The pure excitement that filled up inside of me spread warmth throughout my entirety and a happiness that satisfied my nerves.

Once everyone made up their minds to be happy that Rosey won, the crowd had erupted in a mass of joy.

Once the crowds were clearing out, all of us started to leave too.

I knew Johnny was staying behind, so he could wait for Rosey.

The rest of us began walking back, Soda and I farther behind side by side.

I was thinking about baseball, and how fucked up the rules were and I was wondering why it was so god damn complicated, when suddenly Soda stopped, dropping my hand.

I turned around shaken from my thoughts.

I stared at him confused.

“I’m in love with you,” he said quietly.

“Soda,” I said.

“I am,” his eyes sparkled a shade of impossible brown.

He was staring at me, and his jaw line tensed.

“I’m not going to deny that I’m completely in love with you, and I know it’ll be complicated and there will be hurdles to jump, and I can’t always please you, but I am in love with you and I’m hoping to God you’re in love with me too.”

“Soda,” I said again, because I didn’t know what else to say.

And then I kissed him because there was no way I could’ve returned the favour in any better way. I felt him smiling in the kiss and I knew we had to stop encase Rosey or Johnny were to appear.

I pulled away even though I really didn’t want to.

And then we were walking again, and I was wondering how anything could ruin my mood now.

Rosemarie’s P.O.V

I read the day as fiction rather than fact because I still couldn’t fathom that I had won the baseball game for my team.

My team welcomed me to the group quickly and treated me as an equal.

They congratulated me, and I thanked them, deciding I wanted to leave as soon as possible.

I quickly hurried towards the exit, precisely where Johnny said he’d meet me.

He was alone, not facing me, somewhat hunched over. But I could tell it was him.

I smirked, running over and grabbing him from behind.

He basically jumped out of his skin, his breathing became shallow, but he didn’t even smile when he saw me.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, confused by the sudden anger in his eyes.

He didn’t speak.

“Johnny?” I repeated, slightly concerned.

Nothing.

“Whatever it is you know you can-“

“They were kissing,” he interjected, such bitterness in his voice it startled me.

“What?” I asked incredulously.

Johnny’s chest rose and fell in lurches, his breathing uneven.

“S-Sadie.. A-and Soda…”

No words would form in my mouth, there was no way of explaining, or lying, or pleading. There was nothing.

The silence stretched out as we stared into each other’s eyes, I saw nothing but hurt in his.

“They’re dating, aren’t they?” Johnny asked rhetorically.

My silence gave him his answer.

Sometimes, silence can be so freaking loud.

Johnny blew out a shaky breath, clenching his fists, gritting his teeth.

The sight frightened me beyond anything I had experienced all evening.

For the first time, I was pleading.

“Johnny…”

Johnny stepped away, repulsion and hurt etched in the harsh lines of his face.

“Johnny… I...”

Johnny raised his hand in front of me, and started off in a brisk walk.

I was stunned, frozen in shock, as if blocks of ice had grown on my feet, making movement impossible.

My face had become as white as snow, my lips trembling like a flame in the wind.

My alarmed and bewilderedness had wiped out all other emotions.

Then I started to panic.

I was stumbling after Johnny, trying to catch up but too overwhelmed to be as quick and steady as I normally was.

I caught up to him just as we were on my street.

“Johnny!” I cried, sounding quite frankly pathetic.

He didn’t slow down.

He entered my house.

I quickly entered just as Johnny was approaching Sadie.

Sadie looked at me briefly, and I knew there was no way of stopping anything now.

It is a strange thing, but when you are dreading something, and would give anything to slow down time, it has a disobliging habit of speeding up.

And as I reached them from across my living room, everyone was listening as Johnny spoke loudly, clearly, and rhetorically.

“You two are dating?” He directed at both Sadie and Soda who were sitting beside each other.

There was that silence that gave his answer again.

I didn’t dare look at Sadie; I would be brought to shame and guilt when I saw her horror filled face I knew she wore.

“Johnny,” Soda’s voice came out stronger than I expected.

“I’m sorry,” his voice quieted.

Finally I looked up at my boyfriend, and I wanted nothing more than to hug him, and tell him I’m sorry, tell him we’re all sorry.

Johnny’s eyes were unmoving, tattered, and he looked like a wounded puppy.

“You all didn’t tell me?” He muttered, his voice broke.

It’s better to get hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie. But for myself, I’d much rather not be hurt like that.

“I love him Johnny,” Sadie said, quietly.

Johnny stared at her, “We’re going home,” he said.

She just stared at him, incredulously.

“Come on, Johnny,” Soda murmured. Johnny glared at Sodapop.

Soda coward back, looking, for the first time, scared of Johnny.

Sadie wasn’t frightened in the least, she looked furious.

“No! Johnny, I’m sorry you had to find out this way, but- But God dammit you can’t just do this!”

“I can,” he said slowly, “And I will. We’re going home, now.”

Sadie was almost in tears, “That’s not fair-“

“Ya, it’s not! Sometimes life’s not fair. Sometimes everyone you trust lies to you, and that’s not fair. But you go on with it anyway because you just have to, even if it’s not fair.”

I looked away, feeling tears sting my eyes.

“You leave, I’m not going anywhere!” She said.

His eyes grew darker, he stepped away from her. They didn’t look like siblings just then, more like enemies.

“S-Stop being so selfish, Sadie,” He said loudly, louder than I’ve ever heard him talk.

She was done, she was acting in pure anger and not in thought.

“You’re one to talk! Doing the same bloody thing with Rosey as I am with Soda! You-you…..”

She realized what she had just done, her eyes dilate, and she immediately retaliates.

But the damage is done, and Soda is looking at me and everyone is looking at him.

He stares at me so in disbelief, confusion and panic.

What do you mean?” He asked Sadie, still looking at me.

She was shaking, the guilt so pure in her eyes.

Anger started to boil, and I started to fear Sodapop extremely.

“What do you mean?” He repeated louder, his eyes going a darker shade of brown.

No one dared to say anything, afraid of the reaction.

He was frustrated, looking about the room wildly, “WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!”

Suddenly I had moved and stood in front of him, paled, dazed and so afraid.

“Me and Johnny are dating too, Sodapop,” my voice dropped lower than I wished but less fragile then I imagined it to be.

I feel bare. I didn't realize I wore my secrets as armor until they were gone and now everyone sees me as I really am.

Johnny was at my side; Sadie was gripping Soda’s shoulder, trying to calm down the anger that hadn’t yet erupted.

Now his eyes were even darker, he had realized what was going on.

He just stared at me, a deadpan expression and eyes.

Suddenly my frantic words come out quickly, I was begging, pathetically, “I know I should’ve told you, I-I, I’m sorry-“

 “Everyone knew?” He asked rhetorically.

I looked away from him, which indicated a yes.

He turned around, his eyes on Sadie.

“Even you?” He asked, the hurt in his voice made her face flush with guilt.

The sudden anger set ablaze in his eyes made me flinch, and he pushed me aside, standing in front of Johnny.

“She’s 14, Johnny, how dare you, I thought I could trust you,” Soda murmured, clenching his fists.

Johnny’s eyes widened, “Soda, I-I would never-“

“You’re not allowed to see this boy, ya hear? You’re 14, you’re too young and you’re too irresponsible,” Soda hissed at me.

“You lied to me,” He insinuated.

I felt my heart leap to my throat, this can’t be happening.

“It was a mistake, everyone makes mistakes,” my voice dropped.

“Yes, but you make more than most people.”

“I-“

“You hurt me; you worry everyone, everyone you get close to you hurt. Ever since Ma and Pa died you’ve been nothing but inconsiderate to everyone else. You hurt all of us with your lies.”

“Not on purpose,” I whispered, “I never wanted to hurt you, I only wanted to-“

Soda put his hands up to silence me. “Rosey-“

“Please don’t do this, Soda, I care about him.” I heard panic tinging my own voice.

He said nothing.

“Soda, please-“

“Get out,” He said, looking at Johnny now, pushing him backwards, he stumbled a bit, gulped and looked at me.

“Get the fuck out!” He shrilled, his jaw tightening and his eyes glossy with blind incomprehension.

“Soda-“Darry made a desperate attempt to stop his anger, but there was no use.

When Sodapop got angry there was no water to put out the fire, it would only grow wilder.

“No, stop it. Am I the only one who sees how fucked up this all is? She’s 14, He’s 17! that’s….”

“I am dating Rosey, Soda,” Johnny said, “I’m sorry you feel we shouldn’t, but I care about her, I would never hurt her, and I am dating her.”

“No you’re not! God dammit just get-“

“Stop yelling at him, Soda!” I cried, feeling like I might be sick.

“This is pointless because I don’t care what you say, you can’t stop me from-“

His eyes flashed an imperial darkness, muscles tightened throughout his body, and then he slapped me so hard I crumpled to the floor.

It was awful quiet as we all started to realize what had just happened; Soda stared down at his hand where it had started to turn red. Sadie was crying, and everyone looked stunned.

He hit me, I thought, no one ever hit me, my parents never hit me.

The anger had been replaced with guilt and all was forgotten from before, because Soda realized what he had just done was unfixable.

.

Then, Soda realized in horror as my eyes were full of a hot liquid (I didn’t know they were tears at first) which, without disturbing the firmness of my lips, made the air thick, rolled down my cheeks.

I couldn’t control the agony in my heart. I had perfect control of myself-indefinitely- in every other way.

He was panicking and was trying to apologize when I had very suddenly, got up, and ran out the door.

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

66.2K 1.6K 13
What if Darry never hit Ponyboy when he came home late? What if Darry never yelled at Ponyboy? What if Ponyboy went straight to bed with Soda? What i...
137K 1.4K 26
Y/n Jones, a girl who has been by Ponyboy Curtis side ever since they were born. Through thick and thin they dealt everything together. Their problem...
7.7K 171 37
I stopped dead in my tracks that time. "I am not a child Dally. Stop treating me like one!" He hesitated to say anything but then spit something out...
43.6K 467 33
You'd lived next to the Curtis' your whole life. Your parents met Mr. and Mrs. Curtis a long long time ago, you were all like one big happy family. U...