Theodora's Dragon

By JerrySkell

"What does it mean?" Theodora asked. "It means you're a witch," Mathilda said softly gently putting a hand on... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2 Into the Darkness
Chapter 3 Voices of Angels
Chapter 4 Molly
Chapter 5 Pip's Lament
Chapter 6 Discovery and Separation
Chapter 7 Desolation then Hope
Chapter 8 Oculus Draco
Chapter 9 Yellow Coach
Chapter 11 The Cannery
Chapter 12 Mathilda
Chapter 13 Free
Chapter 14 Burn the Witch
Chapter 15 Dragon Rider
Chapter 16 The Prophesy
Chapter 17 Return
Chapter 18 The Peninsula
Chapter 19 Novi
Chapter 20 Theodora, Dragon Rider
Chapter 21 The Storm
Chapter 22 Detour Island
Chapter 23 Dragon Flights
Chapter 24 Dragon Eggs
Chapter 25 Adrift
Chapter 26 First Snow
Chapter 27 Canal at the Isthmus
Chapter 28 Best Birthday Ever
Chapter 29 Home
Chapter 30 Midwife
Chapter 31 Ellie
Chapter 32 Harvest Festival
Epilogue

Chapter 10 Taylor Village

3.2K 249 8
By JerrySkell

The coachman lowered the steps and offered his hand and assisted Theodora to the street. She thanked the coachman and shouldering her bag walked into the inn and stood at the counter, "I would like a room and a bath please."

"That will be a tenth of a mark for both, meal included. Do you have any baggage?" At that point the innkeeper looked up from his book he had been reading and looking surprised then smiling responded, "Miss Teddie, is it really you."

"Yes James, it's really me," Theodora laughed.

"We thought you...it's so good to see you...Martha come see it's Teddie!" Martha stepped out from the office than ran to her and hugged her.

"We all thought you had died or something worse?"

"Worse than dieing?" Theodora laughed.

"Why are you staying here? You should go home."

"I have no home, my father made it clear when I left."

"Look at you girl!" Martha gushed, "You're a beautiful young lady. And from the look of you a woman of means, and your clothes are so colorful. You'll be a bright finch among a group dull sparrows." Theodora smiled brightly and blushed in response to the last statement.

"I'll have the hip bath and hot water brought to your room. Will you be singing tonight?"

"Never miss a chance. Is my father in town?"

"He's out with the cod schooners. Your fiancé too."

"Alvin is no longer my fiancé," she said crisply and walked to her room. She sat on the bed and waited until the hip bath was carried in and filled with steaming water. She washed slowly all the time thinking how difficult coming home had become. Would her sisters even speak to her? She had caused so much turmoil in the family by her songwriting, singing, her lack of proper deportment, refusing to cut her hair, her frequent dressing as a boy and then refusing Alvin's advances. That was the last straw. She wanted her sisters to at least acknowledge their kinship, she did not dare hope for their love. She sat near the hearth awaiting her meal sipping a cup of hot tea, her mind wandering elsewhere when she was joined by two people sitting on either side of her.

"We heard you were home Runt."

"Rose, Joyce. I..." They both hugged Theodora as they wept with joy.

"Martha told us you were here."

"Join me for dinner...please. Oh and bring you husbands and children too."

"That would be too much."

"Please, I want to see everyone, I really missed all of you." Since their families were waiting just outside the inn they did join Theodora. "I'm paying too. No argument Rose. I'm a woman of means." They ate quietly when Theodora asked, "How's Mom and Dad?"

"The same. Dad's always so angry. Mom stays with him no matter what," Joyce said softly.

"And Mikey? He's nine now I believe."

"Almost ten, he'll be happy to see you. He spent a lot of time crying on my shoulder when you vanished," Rose said.

"Mine too," Joyce added. "Why did take off without telling us."

"I couldn't take another beating. I didn't think you would understand."

"I didn't know he beat you!" Rose said surprised.

"With that dam cane of his. He had been beating me since you both left home."

"I can't..."

"I got scars Rose. My back is covered with scars. Billy knew. I thank the gods he didn't try to stop Dad of we both would have gotten it worse."

"Why didn't you come to us?" Joyce asked.

"Too ashamed I guess. Mathilda always took me in, and I thought you knew."

Along silence between the sisters passed then Rose asked, "Do you plan to marry Alvin?"

"Hell no!" Theodora snorted. "I will only marry for love, or not at all."

"Isn't that a line from a song you wrote when you were fourteen?" Joyce asked laughing. Theodora nodded. "Is it David that caught your heart Runt?"

"You guys always call me Runt, and yes it's David. How did you know?"

"You'd of had to be blind not to see you two were meant to be a couple," Rose laughed.

"I was the last one to see it," Theodora whispered.

"What are you going to do about Alvin? I hate him, he's just like Dad. And he's was too old for you. He would make your life miserable," Joyce whispered.

Theodora had tears in her eyes. She never hoped her sisters would understand, would be willing to forgive her for past misdeeds. It was clear to her that they loved her. "I have no idea what I'm going to do about Alvin, you'd have thought my running would be a sufficient hint."

"There a lot more to this union than you are aware of," Joyce's husband added breaking his silence.

"What more?"

"I can't say Teddie, it's guild secrets."

"Now I'm confused," Theodora answered frustrated.

"There was a prophesy about you when you were born. That is all I know."

"We are on your side Teddie," Rose said softly as she hugged her. "We want you to be happy, we love you Runt." Joyce joined in the hug. When dinner was over Theodora felt warm and happy. Her sisters had not rejected her. One hurdle crossed. By then the tables were cleared and moved and the music started. Theodora sang and for a moment forgot all her worries as she sang and danced with old acquaintances from her home village.

The next morning Theodora dressed in her jeans. She turned up the pant legs into a large cuff that ended several inches above her ankles and put on her red shirt tying the tail in a tight knot at the top of her waist. She braided her hair and put on her button cap leaving the braid hang down her back. She had her shoes ready but decided they weren't needed. She stopped briefly in the dining room to snatch a piece of bacon, two fried eggs and two pieces of buttered toast and walked out onto the street. Dressing like a boy was not unusual attire for Theodora, but today it was obvious she was not a boy and having a tiny peek of her belly partially uncovered and her curves very apparent because of the tight fit of her pants and shirt not to mention so much ankle exposed. Seeing her walk through the village was shocking to many. She walked to the big oak that stood by the village school house and climbed the tree and waited quietly. Michael approached the school hesitantly. It was obvious he would prefer to be elsewhere. When he was nearly under the tree Theodora swung down landing on her feet in front of him. "Hi Mikey."

"TEDDIE!" he shouted and ran to her. Theodora grabbed him in a hug swing him around."

"Beat ya to the top!" They raced each other climbing the tree. Michael out distanced her on the way up.

"WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!" he shouted, then whispered "I missed you."

"I missed you too little brother."

"Is that the hat I gave you?"

"I liked that hat so much I wore it out wearing it. So I got a new one just like it."

"Does Mom know your back?"

"Thought I'd visit her while you're in school."

"I could miss school just this once and go with you."

"Nice try, go to school. I pick you up and we can go swimming and I'll take you to dinner."

"Deal!"

They climbed down the tree. By then several other children had gathered under the tree. One of them said, "Why did you come back?"

"To see Mikey," then smiling she walked toward her parents' home.

She hesitated as she approached the home. Memories flooded her senses as she opened the gate. Happy memories of time with siblings, frightening memories of her father, but few memories of her mother. It always felt like her mother was simply a shadow that lived in the house. She knocked lightly at the door. This was no longer her home to simply enter.

"I heard you were back."

"It's good to see you Mother."

"Can't say the same Theodora. You have disgraced your family. Look at you, you still dress like a tramp."

"I couldn't take another beating."

"You brought the beatings on yourself. You'll get no pity from me."

"I didn't expect any." Theodora was looking closely at her mother. Suddenly a revelation struck her, "Does he beat you too?" she whispered. Her mother stood there without any emotion for a long time not answering. Then with her heart in her throat Theodora stepped closer and took her mother in her arms. She felt her mother's body go stiff and her mother remained rigid in spite of her hug. Theodora continued to hold her. "I love you Mom," she whispered. Then releasing her walked away not looking back, her eyes flooding with tears.

When school ended Michael found Theodora high in the tree waiting. "You ready little bro." Michael held her hand as they walked to the pond hidden in a wood lot on their parents' property. "I brought some towels, no peaking until I'm in the water."

"Why would I want to peek at you?" Michael laughed.

They swam until their fingers and toes were covered with wrinkles and both were too cold to continue. Then drying off and dressing they walked to the inn and had dinner together. Michael talked incessantly of school and friends. He frequently ate with his other sisters as cooking was beyond his mother most days. Theodora enjoyed listening to his talk and plans. After dinner Michael walked home and Theodora changed into her red skirt but stayed in the red shirt. Her sisters came to the inn that night for the singing. Theodora had always loved singing with her sisters reminding her of long ago when they were all just children and she was happy.

**************************************

The tree dragons circled high on the air over Grande Isle, then as Dragon Rider Elodia signaled they dove landing in the cloistery of Coven House. Elodia, Maryann and Susan dismounted and were directed inside. The entire coven was present.

"A new dragon has hatched," Mother Ruth stated.

"And the rider?" Elodia asked.

"She has yet to emerge, when she does we will know where she is."

"What do we do now?" Maryann asked.

"We wait, are you aware of the prophesy regarding this girl?"

"Yes Mother Ruth."

"If we can't turn her, she and her dragon must be burned."

"Burn a sister?" Elodia asked shocked.

"Tis better that one burn than to have our world burn Elody. It must be done sister-daughters. I will grieve me deeply to lose one of our own."

"Yes Mother."

"She is on the other side of the continent. Have three days food for four packed and ready. I pray that you can turn her."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56K 5K 113
THE TAVERNER'S DAUGHTER - BOOK ONE FANTASY, MAGIC, DRAGONS, ROMANCE, WINGED WIZARDS. Please Note: The rest of this series will not be published u...
5.8M 260K 82
(Complete) **A MATURE FANTASY** Book #1 in the Elemental Heir Series. Now published and available in PAPERBACK and KINDLE on AMAZON!! 🤍 "Your ready...
307K 13K 54
When dark armies and evils of the past awaken in the 21st century, anicent powers choose four new dragon rider are chosen to be the guardians and pro...
80 0 7
The Camdridge Kingdom relies on all dragons riders to protect and serve. Once you are born your parents have a important decision to make. Will you b...