At His Service (SLOW UPDATES)

By xAmeerahx

What happens when you owe a billionaire a huge amount of debt? Try to pay back? But what if he wants service... More

Prologue ✓
Chapter One ✓
Chapter Two ✓
Chapter Three ✓
Chapter Four ✓
Chapter Five ✓
Chapter Six ✓
Chapter Seven ✓
Chapter Eight ✓
Chapter Nine ✓
Chapter Ten ✓
Chapter Eleven ✓
Chapter Twelve ✓
Chapter Thirteen ✓
Chapter Fourteen ✓
Chapter Fifteen ✓
Chapter Sixteen ✓
Chapter Seventeen ✓
Chapter Eighteen ✓
Chapter Nineteen ✓
Chapter Twenty ✓
Chapter Twenty-One ✓
Chapter Twenty-Two ✓
Chapter Twenty-Three✓
Chapter Twenty-Four✓
Chapter Twenty-Five ✓
Chapter Twenty-Six ✓
Chapter Twenty-Seven ✓
Chapter Twenty-Nine ✓
Chapter Thirty ✓
Chapter Thirty-One ✓
Chapter Thirty-Two ✓
Chapter Thirty-Three ✓
Chapter Thirty-Four ✓
Chapter Thirty-Five ✓
Chapter Thirty-Six ✓
Chapter Thirty-Seven ✓
Chapter Thirty-Eight ✓
Chapter Thirty-Nine ✓
Chapter Forty ✓
Chapter Forty-One ✓
Chapter Forty-Two ✓
Chapter Forty-Three ✓
Chapter Forty-Four ✓
Chapter Forty-Five✓

Chapter Twenty-Eight ✓

335K 6.6K 1K
By xAmeerahx

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Emberly's POV:

Shit, I am so screwed. No, in fact, I'm dead today. I thought again and again whilst honking furiously.

When Cherry and I decided to stay up till four in the morning to keep up on the Kardashian's, I instantly knew it wasn't the wisest decision ever. I barely got time to sleep and to make the scenario worse my alarm clock hadn't worked due to low batteries. Talk about bad luck!

Cherry told me I could sleep but for us it was kind of a tradition not to so I couldn't really break that. Each year on our birthday, we had this thing to celebrate our birthday till morning. We always ended up staying awake and talking about anything that came to our mind. The weird part was that we never got bored.

Cherry stayed at my place and we spent all night opening her gifts and laughing at the unbelievable stories she told about people she knew. I didn't regret staying up but I did regret waking up late. God knows how I got up and got ready. Without even looking at the time I knew I was 10 minutes late and the traffic wasn't helping my case at all.

Without killing anyone I made it to the building, safely if I may add. I could see Ella in the reception giving me the stink eye.

"You are late." She said bluntly and I gritted my teeth.

"Thanks for pointing out the obvious." I muttered.

"It's just a matter of time before he fires you." She sang and went back to typing.

I wondered what was wrong with her. From the corner of my eye, I saw Lauren giving me an apologetic smile. Oh poor girl, she must have been thinking Ella's words had stung me. Wait till you had worked with Arran, who I would like to point out, practically called me a bitch once. After swiping my card, I grabbed my organiser from the desk and strode toward the lift. To get inside the rooms, you had to use your ID cards but the reception was at the side with at least 7-8 people working. If you were a guest you would be given a temporary card by one of the receptionists. Arran was damn protective about his building and he made sure no harm could be done. I didn't blame him; it was his life in this building.

As usual, I made coffee and with a knock, I entered to find Arran typing furiously. He glanced at me for a second and then continued typing. I checked my watch and blanched noticing I was 20 minutes late.

Shit.

"Oh thank you for finally gracing us with your presence Miss Rae." He said sarcastically.

"I-..." I opened my mouth to apologise. I know I did that a lot but hey it was not my fault I was a damsel in distress.

"Just to let you know, you have some documents to fax... Mr. Hamilton's emails need to be replied to by noon and you need to call Gregg & Co and renew their policies. Hmm, what else? Oh yeah, I think you should also check on your boss. I wonder why? I mean you are, after all, only his assistant right?" He mocked me and I blushed in embarrassment.

Stupid, stupid, stupid me...!

"Anything else?" I gritted my teeth but said calmly.

He looked surprised at my calm reaction but shifted slightly when he saw the seriousness in my eyes. I knew I made a mistake but I would not let him taunt me the whole day, knowing he was very capable of doing that. A month ago, I would have not shown up or I would have ended up crying for arriving late but today deep down I knew by heart he wouldn't shout at me so I got straight to the point.

"I want you to call Lucy and arrange our next meeting... Her contract has major loopholes so arrange an appointment with the lawyer... Contact Sleepwalkers and tell them to bloody wake up and pay back already.... It was due last year... Make an appointment with Luke for lunch tomorrow... I want you to type these letters and post them straightway... Cole Company is still waiting for their payment so call the finance department and get that sorted... Send a cheque to Bradshaw and apologise on my behalf for not coming to their charity gala... Also clear all the appointments for the coming two weeks for the wedding. No appointments or formal meetings at all... "

I was furiously writing when my hand froze at the last part.

Wedding...?

He was getting married? But he wasn't engaged yet! But how would I know? It wasn't like he told me. I quickly scanned the organiser in my hand. All I found was suit fitting, formal dinner, cake testing, suit fitting, rehearsal dinner, stag do and what not! This did confirm that he was indeed getting married.

But what do I care? What happened about staying away from him? Maybe this was my chance to not get attached to him at all. I should hate him for insulting me numerous times, for yelling at me, for finding my mistakes in everything, for thinking I was a low life, for every time he made me cry. Then why did I feel like someone was stabbing my heart with a sharp knife, slowly and painfully? Why was my mind refusing to focus on what he was saying? I could see his lips moving but I couldn't register even a single word.

So this was what heartbreak felt like. It felt like someone was squeezing my windpipe and suddenly I felt as if I were about to collapse. I knew I was falling for him but I never thought I would fall this hard.

My heart refused to believe that the guy who was completely oblivious to what was happening to me was getting married in two weeks time. Maybe it was someone else's wedding. Maybe he wasn't getting married. Maybe, he wouldn't get married. Maybe he would call it off on the main day but just looking at his happy face I knew it was near impossible. Arran was a man of his word.

I just couldn't believe someone else would wake up to those green eyes shining with admiration. She would get to listen to his husky voice that sent shivers down the spine. She would walk next to him as Mrs. Raymond, the name that held so much power and authority. Not to mention his touch and his kisses. I knew for a fact that Arran would do anything for the ones he cared for.

'I'm happy for you Emberly.'

'Any guy would be lucky to have you.'

Don't be selfish Emberly. You can't be serious, thinking he could be yours. He was the Raymond and I was just an assistant who would be replaced once this contract was finished. As bitter as it sounded, it was reality. I was better than this. Deep down I knew he deserved to be happy, as anyone else. If he was marrying someone who kept him happy then there was no point in holding onto someone that had already let you go.

"Anything else?" I swallowed the lump in my throat and asked him with a weak smile.

He seemed hesitant for a minute. "Yes, I want you to buy a gift for my princess."

"Princess...?" I asked him unsurely. This was the second time I heard about his 'princess'.

"Yes, you know how girls are. Because of this thing going on I don't know what to get her. She has everything already and I don't know what I could get her." He exclaimed.

Trust Arran to call his own wedding a thing and then tell me I knew how girls were!

"Well I don't know the first thing about her. What is she like...?" I asked, fiddling with my pen. Whoever his princess was, I did not wish to meet her, ever.

"It should be something that only I can give her. I don't want someone else with the exact same gift. For her special day." He said vaguely and it took a whole lot of will power not to snap the pen between my fingers.

Special day...? She was getting you for god sake, what else does she need?

"But that doesn't tell me anything about her." I frowned.

"It's just a pre-gift thing. I already know what to give her on the main day but not before..." He frowned too. I could hear him muttering how difficult girls were.

A pre gift... so he meant something before the wedding. I needed to find something that could be used before the wedding or after.

"I know what to get and I think she will like it." I chirped in happily.

"You sure?" He questioned me uncertainly.

Thank you for trusting me.

"Yup, I would love it myself." I quickly wrote it down before I forgot.

"Okay then, now that this is sorted, carry on with your other work." He dismissed me suddenly and I stopped myself from scowling.

I turned on my heels, scowling now. My hand was on the door handle when I heard his voice.

"Oh, thanks Emberly." He muttered.

I smiled widely and walked to my cubicle. After doing all my tasks, I was only left with one more job, which was to choose a gift for his 'princess'. What could I give someone who had everything? It was harder than I assumed. I wasn't sure about what I wrote down anymore which was a watch. I glanced at the profile of this princess under his contact. Being his personal assistant meant I could view all his contacts and their profiles so it would be easier for me. Normally, it would have a picture and a contact number with all the information I would need, but this time, other than the address, there was nothing else.

After browsing on the Internet aimlessly, my eyes glanced at the banner at the top. Oh, I know what to get! I grinned widely, I knew for a fact she would like this gift. I would be over the moon if my soon to be husband would buy something like this for me. It was personal and I was sure both of them would love it. No one would have it since it was a limited edition only available for people like Arran. Now I was left with one problem, the size! That was the tricky part; I didn't want to offend her or lose my job by sending a too loose or too tight size. So instead of guessing, I called them.

"Hi, this is Arran Raymond's assistant Emberly Rae." I introduced myself politely.

The woman on the other line was too ecstatic to hear my voice. "Yes, yes madam what can I do for you?" Her voice was laced in thick, French accent.

"You see, I am checking the new collection online and I am... confused about the sizes." I stated nervously.

"Madam can you reference the product number?" She responded enthusiastically.

"Sure, it's 100329." I repeated the number.

I could hear the faint noises of typing and a squeal...?

"Very good choice, what are you confused about?"

"My boss told me to order something for his girlfriend and soon to be wife, but he didn't tell me the size and I don't want to ask him. You know, wedding stress." I whispered the last part.

She squealed at first and then gasped at the wife part and at last agreed with me about the wedding stress part.

"It has to be Miss Julianne, Miss Emma, Miss Harper, Miss Caroline, Miss Lydia or Miss Chloe. They are our loyal customers and they always use the gift cards sent by Arran Raymond. "

The phone in my hand nearly slipped. What a man-whore! Screw this, I just said the name out of the blue from the many choices she gave me and placed the order. I knew that Arran was generous enough to give something to his one nightstands but I never knew how many or how often he had them. And the girl he was marrying was okay with his flings? It was a shame what love could make you do. Grumpily, I confirmed the address and it was done. I heard a ping and checked the new email before replying to them.

After a good two hours of more work which required a lot of talking over the phone and telling, moreover threatening the dealers to pay the bills by next week otherwise Mr. Raymond would deal with this mess himself. Let's just say they agreed. I realised I forgot to inform Arran about the gift. The lady over the phone said it would take only half an hour for the order to deliver to the location I gave them and here I had to wait 3-4 days for something I ordered online!

I opened the door lightly when I heard him yelling. He was pacing around the room, with a phone in one hand and the other one was bunching his hair. He looked beyond pissed. I was sure I hadn't done anything to make him this frustrated. I didn't jam the fax machine this time and last time I checked, the printer was still working.

"What the hell are you on about...?" He yelled, making me wince.

Deep inside, an annoying part of me was telling me to go back to my desk and hide until he was calm but for some reason, I couldn't move.

"No! Why would I send that to you if I knew about it?"

Wait... what? Shit, shit, shit... I knew I should've asked him or asked the lady on the phone. I was sure she knew about them more than he did. I could've stated the appearance and then she could've helped me find out who his fiancée was but I was too riled up after hearing about his past flings. I really needed to sort myself out. It was getting ridiculous.

"I'm sure it got switched. No, do you think I'm crazy? I'm not saying anything. Come on there must be some misunderstanding. Now don't be like that. It's not that bad."

Shit. Must be the wrong size. Then I did what I was best at. RUNNING! As silently as I could, I shut the door and scurried toward my desk. I sat down and soon my body started trembling.

Now what? No... allow me to say it again... WHY ME?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I banged my head and groaned. I have the worst luck ever. If someone else had ordered it they would've gotten it right but me...? I managed to screw even simple things. I could've gone with the stupid watch or a ring, earrings, spa vouchers but no... I had to think outside the box.

I was moaning and groaning when I spotted a little girl trying to open Arran's office door. She had long, sandy-brown, curly hair. Her greyish-blue eyes were the prettiest set of eyes I had ever seen but they widened in fear when she saw me. She looked around 5-6 years old. Needless to say she was beautiful and too cute.

"Hey sweety, what are you doing here?" I approached her. Her eyes widened in surprise this time but she didn't reply. Instead she pointed at the handle that she was trying to open.

"No, uhmmm you can't go in." I said softly as I kneeled down.

"Wh... Why...?" She asked me with her big eyes.

Because you don't want to face the wrath of Arran Raymond.

"There's a big, angry monster inside. He is sooo angry that he will eat you if you go inside." I grinned but quickly wiped my smile when I saw her eyes widen in fear again.

Way to go Emberly...! You have officially scared the living daylight out of her. Now she'll start crying and Arran is already angry. Could my day get any worse? First I turn up late, then find out he was getting married within two weeks and then screwed the gift and now this. But I was surprised when I heard her giggle. She was really adorable.

"Mon... ster?" She asked me, as her eyes glinted mischievously.

I scrunched my eyes in confusion. She took a bit longer to reply. Maybe, I am thinking too deep.

"Yup, with horns and a tail. He doesn't like anyone." I whispered in her ears and she giggled again. Just like that I forgot about an angry monster on the other side.

"But... he... he... should... like you. I... I... like... you." She twirled her flowery dress and said shyly.

I could tell she had a speech problem and she appeared vulnerable by the way she kept darting her eyes towards the door. I smiled wholeheartedly at her words. She was indeed too cute for her kind. I relaxed and let my imaginative mind work for me.

"You've obviously not met him." I sighed dramatically.

I was sure she got lost but what I found most strange was that she was inside the building without any security guards running after her. She must have been one of the colleague's daughters and she was probably roaming around and mistakenly ended up here.

"How... is... he like?" She looked confused and kept looking at the door.

"Uhmmmmm. Let me think. He has square toes and long, pointy noses." I lifted my arms in the air and told her. She gasped dramatically and grinned, gesturing for me to carry on. "He has long fingers with harsh looking sharp nails that curl at the ends."

If someone else heard me saying all this, they would've have dug me a grave. It would be against the law to call such a handsome man these things but hearing her laugh, I ignored it.

"What else...?" She asked excitedly and bouncing lightly.

I stood up and walked around the table slowly, pretending to think. From the corner of my eyes I saw her follow me.

"Oh yeah, he always wears black to hide his cursed, red skin." I stopped midway and said loudly causing her to shriek.

Okay what the hell did I just say? I guess she didn't care because she clapped her hands together and bounced more. Seriously, what is she made of? Steel...?

"He doesn't like children, especially girls. Trust me on that. All the fairies are scared of him."

This part was true though. I didn't think Arran liked kids. I could imagine his horror. I knew for sure he didn't like me so it was partly true. Also, everyone was very scared of him.

"What is... his name?" She asked me, still bouncing.

'Asshole.'

I popped a toffee inside my mouth and offered her one too. I continued walking, with her following me closely. I thought about it and grinned mentally. Now this was getting really interesting.

"Now this is where it gets really interesting. Because of his arrogant behaviour the fairy godmother cursed him with a girl's name. He is known as Rainee." I laughed softly at my own words.

Rainee did sound much better than Arran. I chuckled and soon she joined me too.

"Why... do you... work with... him...?" She questioned me with her big eyes looking at me with a worried expression and I felt guilty about lying to her. I stopped walking and bent down so I could face her.

"You see... What's your name sweety...?" I cleared my throat, chewing the remaining toffee and asking her.

"Belle." Someone else responded and it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out whom it belonged to.

I closed my eyes, wincing at my own stupidity. I straightened myself and turned around, only to find him glaring at me with a deathly look. Belle on the other hand, squealed and jumped in his arms shocking the hell out of me. He smiled wholeheartedly and ruffled her hair.

No, no, no. This can't be happening. AGAIN.

"Arran... why don't... you fire Rainee?" She asked him and he glared at me.

"Then who will look after this company?" He muttered but I clearly heard him.

"So Emberly, Rainee...?" He asked me sarcastically and I smiled nervously, still wincing.

"I was... just telling her a story." I lied and practically begged Belle to keep her mouth closed. She opened her mouth to say something.

Dear Mom, Dad and Cherry. I'm taking a moment to say goodbye to my beloved ones. Don't forget me and please don't forget to appeal against my mysterious disappearance. Please suspect Arran Raymond who is glaring at me with murderous look.

"Hey princess can you go and wait for me in my office?" His eyes softened when he looked at Belle.

Princess...? Aww man! COME ON! Now this was totally unfair.

She nodded eagerly and hopped toward his office. He opened the door and we both waited for her to leave. He closed the door slowly and turned around scowling at me.

"What the fuck were you thinking sending a bikini to my five years old niece?" He hissed.

I closed my eyes again. Oh screw this shit. Just kill me please. The dumbest person award should go to me. Why I am standing still? I could feel my cheeks getting hotter and hotter, and wondered if anyone else felt as mortified as I was. Wait she was his princess...? It makes so much sense. Great, I just showed him I was the ultimate idiot. I don't know how to or what to explain. This is an utter humiliation.

"It wasn't a bikini, it was ling..." I closed my mouth when I saw his scowl. "Uhm never mind." I mumbled.

"I told you to do one simple thing and you couldn't do that. Now my sister is after my life for sending her daughter a 'vulgar' gift. Try explaining this to her." If looks could kill, I would be six feet under.

"Uhm, you never told me she was your niece." I said absentmindedly and grimaced after hearing him cursing softly.

"So what, you assumed she was a stripper?" He snapped loudly.

"Language." I muttered, hoping the tiny angel didn't hear anything. Trust me kids asked a lot of questions. Last thing any mother needed was to explain what a stripper was.

"Don't tell me what to do." He ordered me, shutting me up completely.

He kept going on about how irresponsible I was and how his sister thought he was the worst uncle anyone could ever have. Yeah and how reckless, careless, foolish, immature, and thoughtless I was. If I weren't so embarrassed at my own mistake I would've been hurt by his words but I totally deserved it.

"Did she see it?" I asked him, once he stopped.

"No she didn't. But just imagine the questions Cassie had to deal with if she opened that gift." He informed me irritably.

I thanked my stars, my planets or moons or whatever the shit astrologists believed in. I knew what to do. It wasn't too late.

"I'll fix it, I promise." I told him eagerly and slipped inside his office where Belle was bouncing up and down on a couch at the side. He followed me closely.

"Hey Arran, how... how come... you... never sent... me... an early... present... this year...?"

I noticed how not even once had Arran interrupted her, instead he waited patiently for her to finish her sentence. His eyes were glinting as he watched his niece finish her sentence. For some reason, he looked proud. He turned to me and looked at me accusingly. I was sure I had unattractive blotches of red covering my cheeks.

"I'm so sorry Belle, it's my mistake. You see, Rainee didn't tell me whom it was for so I messed up but I have an idea. Why don't we both decide your present...?" I apologised to her and she nodded her head like she understood me.

"Yeah." She squealed and I took a breath of relief. "But... we... must fire... Rainee." I blanched at her words and laughed nervously.

Arran kept his mouth in a straight line as he watched me pick her up effortlessly and place her on the side of my hip. He watched me cautiously, fearing I might drop her. She wrapped her tiny arms around my neck. I walked in my cubicle and sat on the office chair. She sat on my lap and I clicked on a new tab. It was amazing how comfortable she was around me and vice versa. Normally, it would've been a little awkward since kids tended to get shy seeing a stranger but Belle was at complete ease. Remember how I said I never wanted to meet his 'princess'? Well I take my words back.

"So Belle do you have a doll house?" I questioned her, asking the first thing that came to my mind and she nodded strongly.

Of course you do. It was a stupid question to start with.

"I bet you have a tree house too?" I asked her and she nodded again. "And an outdoor play house?" She nodded again.

"Trampoline?" I asked her and she nodded her head once more.

"X-box?" I asked her nervously and she nodded again.

"How old are you going to be?"

"Six" She told me with her tiny fingers and I sighed tiredly.

"Sweety, there must be something you don't have."

She was only six and she had more than enough. I felt sorry for her parents. It seemed like they had given her everything. No wonder it was hard for him to shop for her. Surprisingly and delightfully she wasn't a spoilt brat, which I was glad for. I heard a deep chuckle and found Arran leaning against the door and smirking at me. His smirk widened when Belle didn't respond. His eyes were practically dancing with humour and amusement.

"So do you like dolls?" I asked her as I watched hand stitched dolls appear on the screen. Some of them were scary!

"I think... they are for little girls." She said making me grin.

"True, when I was little I thought that too. Okay so no dolls, hey do you like painting?" I asked her randomly, preparing for a no.

"I love... painting. Mrs. Rose... gave me... a star." She said proudly and I laughed.

"Do you have paint at home?" I asked her, hoping for a no.

"No." She said sadly.

Hallelujah!!!

We both searched for an easel and we both agreed on a particular one. The wooden easel had little, mermaid designs and it was a perfect gift for Belle. It was designed for kids and don't even get me started on the price. The easel folded up easily for convenient storage and it featured a colourful paint tray with cup holders. It had an easy loading paper roll holder and an extra large tray for holding erasers, chalk and clips. Once we were done with purchasing the easel, I also ordered some extra white sheets, in case she ran out and a big set of watercolours. Belle was beyond happy and she kept bouncing up and down.

"This... is... the best... ever." She squealed and hugged me tightly. I wrapped my arms around her and smiled.

I craned my head a little and saw Arran staring at me intensely.

"What...?" I asked nervously when he didn't take his eyes off me.

"Nothing, you'll be a wonderful mother one day." He said with a genuine smile and went inside his office leaving me complete shocked.

❦❦❦❦❦

Once again, Mia saved my life :D thank you so much for editing for me in such a short notice. Seriously it wouldn't be possible without her ^.^

Thanks for the comments and the votes :D I love it ^.^ it really means a lot to me even a comment saying 'update plz' :D

Dedicated to a special person. Thank you so much for making a cover for me (on the side) x its ah-ma-zing

Belle's picture on external link... she is a cutiepie

Enjoy, do let me know how it is, vote, comment and follow please x

Love, Ameerah x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 50.6K 43
Isla King grew up wealthy, but not as wealthy as Billionaire playboy Arturo Calendri. The family company was being taken over by Arturo's greedy fath...
454K 19.2K 73
I woke up in the morning and felt the pain in a place I've never hurt before. I took a peek at my own body, and my mind went blank. My eyes found a m...
19K 417 37
The story of Danna Rodriguez and Aron Mondragon Danna Rodriguez a young,sweet,kind and beautiful woman born and raised in Mexico, at the age of 20 sh...
1.8K 208 28
OH MY GOD! There's nothing quite like being trapped with the one man you can't stand .. egotistic, pompous, and brutal. He was the epitome of opulen...