Runaway

By AnAdventurer

Running away, everyone thinks about it but only a few of us go through with it. Most people just return home... More

Chapter One: An End, and a Beginning
Chapter Two: The Bitter Cold
Chapter Three: Hitting the Road
Chapter Four: Got No Money
Chapter Five: All the Time in the World
Chapter Six: A Warm Hearth
Chapter Seven: One Chilly Morning
Chapter Eight: On the Third Day
Chapter Ten: Desperate Times

Chapter Nine: Hits the Fan

255 8 5
By AnAdventurer

The intrepid explorer must always be ready for surprises. Often times things don't go as planned.

The soft glow of the street lamps and the vibrant hues of the graffiti staining the walls lead me back to Helen's ski shop. When I walked in she was getting ready to head out.

"No one has been in here for hours, I'm packing up," Helen said, stuffing some magazines into a large black leather purse. "There's no point in being here if I can't make any money," she added with a smirk.

Crap. I needed to think fast, otherwise I would be out on the street for the night. I needed to be the last one in the ski shop so I could camp out.

"Uh, I still need to finish up some ski sharpening," I lied, hoping Helen hadn't seen me do it earlier.

"Oh . . . well I don't really want to stay here," she paused, thinking. "You know what? You can close the shop when your done. I'll leave you the spare key and you can lock everything up when you decide to go home. I trust you, don't make me regret it,"

"I won't," I said, relieved that she bought my lie. Helen ran into the back room, searching for the key. I shrugged out of my coat and threw it behind the counter. Moments later she emerged from storage holding a silver key. She tossed it to me and I slid it into my jeans pocket.

"Make sure you lock the storage room and the workbench before you leave. If anyone does break in that will stop them from getting to much stuff,"

"Have you been robbed before?" I asked, suddenly worried about where I would be sleeping for the night.

"No, just a shopkeeper's fear," 

My heart slowed down after she said those words. I was working myself up over nothing. 

"Okay, that's good. Who would want to rob you of all this crap anyways," I jested, holding my hands out, gesturing to all of the racks lining the walls. The merchandise was actually pretty nice. The quality let Helen raise the prices just a little higher than her competitors and still keep her business. 

"I know, right? It's just a load of junk," Helen replied, her speech dripping with sarcasm. She began to make her way towards the door, buttoning her coat all the way up. The felt collar looked warm and cozy, around her neck. I shivered, suddenly feeling cold. 

"Have a good night," Helen said, waving as she opened the door. A gust of chilly air blew in, causing me to shiver again. 

"You too," I replied, waving back.

The door chimed as it shut, sealing off the chilly wind.

I slumped back against the wall behind the main counter, letting my back rub gently againt the wallpaper. A sigh escaped my lips, an echo of the constant stress within me.

My fingers went to the zipper of my backpack, pulling the pocket oopen. My hand dove into its contents, searching for the familiar feel of a glossy print photgraph. I peeled the tape back and slid the phot out of the bag. I cradled my parents in my hands, my eyes rolling over every detail.

My father's khaki uniform, ribbons pinned above his breast pocket, and the chevrons stictched to his arm. My mother in her uniform, and her hair pulled back in a tight ponytail. I dragged my finger over their figures, longing to feel their embrace again.

I sighed again, partly in sorrow and another part acceptance. I returned the photo to its place in my pack, patting down safely. I checked my watch, the hands read half past eight. It wasn't too late but I was still exhausted. I quickly got up and locked the door, closing the blinds that rested above its window. I hit the lights, letting the soft glow of the moon illuminate the room dimly. I grabbed the radio and flicked it on, setting it to a classical rock channel. The soothing tones of Pink Floyd entered the air, relaxing me and helping me drift off into dreamland. 

*** 

The dim light of the sun filtered throught the frosted windows, giving the shop an eerie quality. The pestering rays forced me to open my eyes and get up, stiff from my sleep against the wall. I stretched out, my spine cracking, releasing some tension. I glanced at my watch, it was eight o' clock, a half hour before Helen would arrive to open the store.

Rubbing my eyes, I lazily staggered into the store room, searching for the coffee maker. I put on a pot, making enough for me and for Helen, if she wanted some when she got here. I always saw her drink far more than two cups in a day so I figured it would be a safe bet if I made a full pot.

While waiting for the coffee to be made I tidied up my stuff, gathering it in and around my pack. It took a few minutes before I realized that the radio was still on, playing very softly. I turned it up and changed the channels, putting it on the morning news. Stories crackled to life as over enthusiastic news casters talked about traffic and weather. 

Hearing the loud click the coffee maker made when it was ready, I nearly sprinted into the back room, eager to get my hands on a hot cup of java. I poured the magical potion that is coffee into a plain white ceramic mug and let the warmth emanating from the liquid warm my chilly hands.

Pressing the edge of the cup to my lips I let the warmth travel down my throat and into my gut, warming me all the way down. I laughed to myself, wondering if I could survive without my daily dose. 

A sudden sound made my ears prick up. It sounded like someone turning a key in a lock. Was Helen here already? I had planned to leave for a bit before she got here, so it would seem like I had come from somewhere else. There wasn't much I could do then, I would just have to greet her and make something up.

I dashed into the main room, catching Helen as she was coming in the door, her purse in one hand and the keys in the other. My sudden appearance caused Helen to shriek and drop her bag. Her hand went over her chest and the look of horror fled her face when she realized it was me. 

"Don't EVER do that again!" she stormed, her breath still heavy from the shock.

"Sorry . . . I didn't mean to scare you," I said apologetically.

"I thought it was weird that I smelled coffee when I stepped in here, now I know why," she said, gesturing to my mug. 

"I made some enough for both of us, if you want some," 

"Do you even have to ask?"

I smiled and ran back into the store room, pouring a cup of coffee for Helen. I returned to Helen, finding her listening intently to one of the news stories on the radio.

"~The search continues for a missing Alberta boy as police head into the fourth day since he was seen at his boarding school. The authorities have finally decided to release his name, hoping citizens will be able to aid in the search. If you have any information pertaining to a young man by the name of Darren Wester, then it is of paramount importance you contact your local police department. I repeat, the name is Darren ---" Helen slammed her hand down on the power button, ceasing the voice of the male newscaster.

Her eyes turned to me, filled partly with anger and partly with confusion. She held out her hands, as if silently asking "why?" All I could do was stare back, in complete shock. She stared , clearly not knowing what to do. It seemed she had made up her mind when her hand slid into her purse, coming back out with a phone in hand.

I shook my head trying to say "no" but finding words would not come. Her fingers began to press keys, starting a call. Dropped my coffee, leaving it to rest on the counter and bolted to my stuff, sliding into my coat and getting the straps of my bag over my shoulders. So much for a job, now I had to run without getting paid.

Helen's grip took my arm as I ran past her but I easily shrugged her off. I burst through the door, making a break along the sidewalk. My footflls were hard and heavy, the soles of my shoes making slapping sounds against the freshly plowed concrete.

I was heading in the opposite direction of where I entered the town, I figured it would be my best bet if I wanted to keep heading towards Ashcroft. An unending fear gripped me then, I was afraid I was going to get caught and then all of this would have been for nothing.

I continued running, my breath becoming hard and a sharp cold pain in my chest from the chilly air. I forced myself forwards, not slowing down. I could not, would not stop.

Noticing Alex's apartment buiding I turned my head, for some reason hoping I would see her. I felt like I needed to say goodbye. My eyes locked on the front door, the vibrant graffiti on the peripherals.

As I passed by the door didn't open. Alex wasn't there. My heart sank as the apartment complex dissapeared from my field of vision. My head returned forwards, my pace the same. There was a lump in my throat and I hated myself for it. I knew I couldn't get attached to anyone and what did I go do? I shook my head, muttering under my breath.

My eys watched the cracked pavement, the spaces between filled with crytalline ice, freshly frozen from last night. It snapped under the pressure of my shoes with a crisp and satisfying cruch. I let myself take a wary look behind me. I was all of a sudden paranoid of police, even though Helen was probably still on the phone with them.

With my eys focused behind me I was unaware of what was ahead and consequently ran into someone, toppling over with them. My knee hit the sidewalk hard, jarring it. I was twisted around and the person fell on top of me, knocking the wind from my gut.

A shock of brilliantly blonde hair fell into my face and I made contact with those familar blue eyes. It was Alex! I was elated I hadn't missed her, but how was I going to say goodbye?

"Darren?" Alex's voice was confused and soft. She pressed her hands into my chest, setting herself upright. Her smooth hand come out, offering my help up. I took it and stood up, facing her eye to eye.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, still confused. "And why did you run into me?"

I took a nervous look around. I was wasting time and had to move, but part of me just wanted to stand there forever.

"Uhh . . . well . . . ummm," I spluttered, not knowing what to say. I sighed hard and took her soft, chilly hands. I leaned in a kissed her quickly then pulled away. 

"I'm sorry," was all I said as I began to continue sprinting. Alex's big bright eyes seemed to dim as she watched me move on, not understanding what was going on but seeming to know I wasn't coming back.

"Darren! DARREN!" her voice called from behind me, as she stood there, confused. I didn't listen, I didn't even look back.

***

Graffiti stained buildings came and went as I continued running through the streets, just trying to head out of town. The sun was slowly gaining ground in the grey sky, beating its golden rays down upon a world of grey stone and white blanketed ground. It was a couple hours of constant movement, only taking short walking breaks to regain my breath, before I reached the highway, or this region's excuse for one.

I was walking along the side of the road, comforable with a slower pace. I wasn't afraid of the police searching for me out here yet, I figured they would still be in the city looking for me, since Helen had no idea where I was headed.

When I spotted cars going my way I held out my thumb, hoping to hitch a ride. No one had stopped yet, but that didn't mean I couldn't try. It wasn't like I had any other option along this road in the middle of nowhere. 

It was forest all around me. Beyond the rail barricading the trees from any out of control driver, or vice versa, were tall conifers, green and lush, even in the winter. All of the leafy trees were long bare, their naked branches rattling in the wind. The sky had filled with dark clouds, threatening rain or snow. I hoped for neither. Getting caught in a storm would just add to my troubles. 

The hum of an engine filled the formerly silent air and my hand instantly dashed out, thumb titled, hoping they would stop. My heart lifted when the sound of tires grinding against the light gravel and salt that was sprinkled on the road replaced the engine's hum, signalling the driver was stopping.

I turned to face my unknown benefactor and saw a deep green Corolla, with a young man, most likely in his twenties, in the drivers seat. He gave me a slight wave, and gestured for me to hop in. I walked up to the passenger side and made motions asking if it was okay if I grabbed that seat. When I received a nod I swung the door open and hopped in, throwing my bag in the back.

"Thank you so so much!" I exclaimed, so happy to have a real method of transportation. Even though I didn't know if he was heading to Ashcroft I knew he was headed in that direction for now, so a little distance in a car would be better than nothing.

"Where you headed bro?" the man asked, his stubbly face relaxed and friendly.

"I'm heading for Ashcroft. Is that on your way?" I replied, meeting his warm green eyes. The young man was wearing a baseball cap with the Canuks logo. He was clearly a hockey fan.

"Whoa, that is quite a ways to go, but it is on my way, I'm heading to Vancouver. It's going to be at least a day's drive so if you don't mind sleeping in the car I'm happy to take you,"

"That is awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

The guy laughed, amused at my joy. "Hey, it's not problem. You looked pretty sad on the road there anyways. I probably would have stopped even if you hadn't stuck out your hand,"

I smiled the biggest grin I have ever smiled in my life. The man laughed again before putting the car back in drive. He pressed his foot to the gas and the car took off.

The bright shine of headlights stung my eyes as they opened slowly. The sky was pitch black and any stars that may have been out were invisible due to the bright light pollution of the street. We seemed to be in some town, on a major road that connected to the highway. I saw the soft glow of a traffic light shining up ahead. In our direction it was green, the bright welcoming sheen of green.

"Have a good nap?" Brian, the driver, asked, giving me a wink. I hadn't even realized I had fallen asleep and it must have been many hours ago because the last I remembered it was light outside.

"Yeah, I really needed it too," I replied, nodding my head.

"We are maybe three hours away from Ashcroft, I have been driving the whole night. I guess I just don't feel tired," 

"Oh wow, that's great! Maybe you should take a nap though, if you do get tired,"

"For sure, but I think I'm fine for now," Brian said, stiffling a yawn. "Maybe not," he said, frowning slightly.

We entered the intersection, the green glow illuminating the car. Bright lights shone at me from my right. I turned my head, witnessing a minivan speeding into the intersection, heading straight for us. I wanted to scream but my throat was closed shut, my body frozen in pure fear and panic. I knew it was going to hit us, it was going way too fast for us to clear the intersection before it. 

It was a split second before I was whipped sideways, the seatbelt cutting into my ribs. There was the crunch of metal and the shattering of glass as we spun, the airbag hittimg me hard in the face. I saw Brian's head bounce as his airbag deployed, his eyes closing as his forehead hit the inflated bag hard. The smell of burnt rubber filled my nose as I slowly waded out of consiousness.

Continue Reading