The Rosewood Prophecy

Από 5everbooknerd

Seven teenagers. Three survivors. One prophecy. Long ago, the elites of the kingdom of Crystallea created the... Περισσότερα

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Deciphering the Prophecy
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Epilogue

Chapter 17

36 4 1
Από 5everbooknerd

                                                                      Katherine

I regained consciousness gradually, still bone tired. Indigo was right. I shouldn't use my magic this frequently. But I can't just stand there and watch someone die, especially not when it's one of my friends. I won't use my magic unless it's absolutely necessary, I told myself. I'll let Rachel do the healing.

My eyelids felt so heavy. I was aware of a nice quietness around me. I heard the steady breathing of someone fast asleep. Probably Indigo or Ashley or Rachel, since I assumed they got a room for the guys and a room for the girls. No point pretending to be two separate groups when we obviously know each other. I felt a warm blanket on me, and something heavy on top of that, sprawled across me. It wasn't unpleasant—it felt nice and warm—but what was it?

Slowly I forced my eyes open. A window to my right showed that it was nearly dawn but still not quite. The room was barely illuminated, but light enough that I can make out shapes. Looking to my left showed three beds in a line, and on there slept, I presumed, Ashley, Rachel, and Indigo in that order.

Now what was that thing on top of me? I looked, and I had to stifle a yelp of surprise. It wasn't an it, but a he. Aaron's face rested against my stomach, rising and falling with every breath I took. His legs dangled off the bed, but his body was half draped over my lower half of the body. He must've fallen asleep while sitting next to me and fell backwards onto the bed.

A piece of his bangs slipped over his eyes. Aaron twitched, clearly uncomfortable. Without thinking, I reached over and brushed it out of his face. Aaron shifted his body, and his right arm fell across my stomach, his hand landing on top of mine. Surprised, I froze. In the faint morning light he looked so...handsome. His face was relaxed and peaceful, and it only enhanced how good he looked. I never noticed—well I mean of course I noticed that he was good looking, but I never thought of him this way. Aaron was the smartest guy in the school, and probably the most handsome. I knew that many girls had a crush on him. He was always nice to me and everyone, and could always make me laugh. I was never the one for romance, even though secretly I'd hope I would find my happily-ever-after someday. But now, looking at Aaron sprawled across my bed, his hand on top of mine, a flutter in my heart told me that I had fallen for my friend.

Oh god. What is happening to me? I can't. Why am I thinking this? I shook my head to clear my thoughts. There were rumors that Indigo liked Aaron, and he liked her back. They never said anything of course, but it's well known that they do. They're hardcore shipped by everyone. I can't do this. They are perfect for each other. They're—

I stopped my train of thought. You're just thinking too much, I scolded myself. Still disorientated from using your magic. Sighing, I closed my eyes to go back to sleep. But feeling Aaron's hand on mine was still really nice....

"Hey, anything happen last night? If you know what I mean."

"Oh, I don't know. I don't think so," replied a voice that I placed as Ashley. Someone whistled. "Aaron wake up! Look where you are. I can't believe you're still here."

Aaron and I snapped awake at the same time. Our gazes met. Aaron finally realized where he was, and his gaze darted down to our hands, which somehow entangled together over the night. And he was closer to me too. Wonder how that happened...

"Oh my gosh oh my gosh I'm so sorry Kath," apologized Aaron as he unfroze, snatched his arm back, and scrambled up from the bed. I sat up hurriedly.

"It's—it's alright," I stammered, feeling a blush on my face. I thought it was all just a dream, but no, Aaron actually slept on my bed.

By the door, Lucian and Jason laughed and slapped high fives. Ashley and Rachel tried unsuccessfully to hide their giggles. Aaron stood awkwardly by the foot of my bed, turning red.

"Dude we came back from getting the medicine and saw that you had fallen asleep with your head in your hands, sitting up," said Jason between chuckles. "We left you, Katherine, and Indigo alone to get ready for bed and stuff. When we came back, you were sprawled over her and snoring soundly." By this time, he was laughing so hard he couldn't even speak.

"Why didn't you wake me then?" demanded Aaron.

"Didn't want to interfere with your love life dude," snickered Lucian. Aaron turned bright red as Ashley and Rachel finally burst out laughing.

"Dude nothing happened last night! I just fell asleep! Oh my gosh..." Aaron protested. He finally turned to me, still avoiding my glance.

"I, uh, I'm sorry Kath," he mumbled. "I guess I was too tired..."

"That's okay," I said, still blushing. "You didn't disturb me or anything."

Indigo walked in through the door. Upon seeing her, Aaron mumbled something about having to use the restroom and pushed past a breathless Lucian and Jason and quickly exited. Indigo looked at us. I swung my legs out from beneath the blanket, glad that I was already dressed.

"Did you finally figure out what happened?" she asked with a smile.

"Yeah..." I said quietly, embarrassed. Lucian and Jason burst out laughing again in that way only guys can.

"You should've seen their faces! Oh my goodness, especially Aaron's!" Tears were streaming down their face, they were laughing that hard.

"I'm sure it was very entertaining," said Indigo with a chuckle. But I saw a flicker of something in her eyes. Was it anger? Or hurt?

"Anyway, we should get moving. We need to reach the Northern Mountains before winter sets in, which gives us about four months. Katherine, when you're ready, meet us downstairs for breakfast." With that, Indigo turned around and marched out the door, followed by Lucian and Jason, still chuckling. Ashley and Rachel exchanged a glance before heading out the door also, leaving me alone in the room.

Sighing I got up and smoothed down my wrinkled clothing. Running a hand through my slightly frizzy hair I stepped through the doorway only to bump into someone.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you," I quickly apologized.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry," the other person replied too. Then we took a good look at each other.

"Oh. Aaron. Sorry, I didn't see you," I said, feeling a blush coming on for the second time that day.

"Kath! Oh, um, that's alright. I should've looked where I was headed," mumbled Aaron. "Wanna head down for breakfast before they eat it all?"

"Sure," I forced a small laugh. We found Indigo and the rest of them sitting around a table, already piled with food.

"So, what happened last night?" Lucian waggled his eyebrows at us. Ashley jabbed him in the ribs with her elbow. Indigo shot him and Jason a look as she turned to address all of us.

"So we're headed for Strongfair, right?" We all nodded. Ashley passed me a plate of bacon and eggs.

"We've been traveling for almost a month now. We're almost there. Any news of our pursuers? Any movements?" Indigo asked.

"Not that I have heard of," said Rachel. "I've been keeping up with the local news. Nothing big has happened, though they did mention the invasion of Northbell awhile back. Nothing too big."

"I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing," Indigo murmured. "I hate that we can't keep tabs on our enemy when they could have eyes and ears everywhere to keep track of our moves."

"That's true. We just have to be on our guard, that's all," Jason said.

"So what's the plan, Indigo?" I asked.

"We're leaving after breakfast. We're going to try and reach a place called Queenrise, which I hope will be our last stop before we reach Strongfair. So guys, let's finish up and—"

Indigo was interrupted by the sounds of chaos coming from outside. Many people inside the inn stood up to peer outside the window. Edward burst inside the room, leaving the door swinging. I caught a glimpse of massive movement outside.

"Stay inside! It's not safe outside!" he yelped as some tried to push past him to look outside.

"Why? What's happening outside?" A burly man asked.

"So there were horse thieves last night, and they were caught. But then this morning, the mayor was found dead. The prisoners were missing. Now someone just shouted that a retired general was murdered too, and apparently people are just dropping dead now!" Edward said breathlessly. "It's like the plague all over again!" We looked at each other. My mind flickered back to my history lessons at the Academy. Was Edward talking about the Plague of March, which occurred several centuries ago where people were mysteriously infected with this horrible, fatal disease that caused one to go insane?

"What? Impossible," scoffed a young man with bright blue eyes. He shook his curly golden hair out of his eyes. "I don't believe that."

"I don't either," said a guy sitting in the back. He downed his drink in a gulp. "Edward, you messing with us again?"

"No I'm not! I swear! I literally saw someone just drop to the floor, dead, with my own two eyes!" Edward pleaded. "Everyone's either evacuating or just staying indoors. Help me secure the doors and windows—hey what are you doing?!"

The young man with the blue eyes had stood up and was half way out the door. "I'm going to go outside and see what's going on," he said impatiently. "I'm going to prove that no plague is circling around. A little sickness ain't gonna stop me!" A few rowdy cheers erupted in the room. Edward had a look of pure despair on his face.

"Andy, please, listen to me! Don't go out there!" he begged. Andy ignored Edward's pleading and stepped outside into the now deserted street. He paced around on the cobblestone street with his hands on his hips and a dismissive look on his face. Everyone held their breath, craning their necks to look out the window or the door at brave Andy.

"Well? Where is the plague? Where is this thing that causes people to 'drop down dead'?" Andy called. "Hellooo? Plague? Serial killer? Where are you? Come challenge me!" Deep inside, I feared for this guy, even though I, too, was a bit skeptical about the whole drop-down-dead thing.

"See? There's no plague." Andy stuck his hands out and spun slowly in a circle. He turned to face us, and people relaxed and let out the breath they were holding. Andy began to strut back to the inn, a careless grin on his face. "Edward, you're just messing with us again—"

A thin trail of black smoke-like matter streaked out of an alley, moving so fast I barely saw it. It struck Andy squarely in the chest and went through him, hovering in the air, as if watching its newest victim's fate. Andy's smile froze on his face. The young man fell backwards and landed on the street with a thud, the light already gone from his lively blue eyes. His golden curls shriveled and lost its shine, falling limply around Andy's face. His eyes were empty as they stared up, unseeing, at the black evil that responded to his challenge. I felt sick, but I was unable to tear myself away from the murder scene.

Dead quiet in the inn. Everyone was horrified and terrorized. A china cup fell out of someone's hand and shattered on the floor, making everyone jump. A few screams rang out, as if time was frozen and had just resumed. The black smoke-like thing seemed to be alerted of our presence and turned to face us. I felt as if an icy hand had grabbed my heart and tried to strangle it. That evil thing has an effect on me and my magic, my rational mind tried to force out. Oh no...ugh...I feel weird...cold....

Before I knew it the thing condensed and shot straight for the door. Yelling, a couple people standing nearby hurriedly slammed the door close and bolted it.

"Can it get through?!" someone yelled as people scrambled to the other side of the room, trying to put as much space as they can between them and inevitable death.

"I don't know!" Edward said, frightened, all color on his face gone. "Brace yourselves!"

A loud thud made everyone jump as the evil smoke made contact with the door. The bolts rattled, threatening to break any minute now. I blinked and forced myself to focus. I reached for my sword, but then realized I had left it up in our room this morning. Oh no. I am basically useless without my sword...

Another thud. The evil smoke was not relenting. It seemed very eager to kill us all. Or maybe just me. A tiny crack appeared on the wooden door. I could feel its cold grip on me again. Sounds around me dimmed. The room became distorted. I felt as if the evil smoke was wriggling into my mind, and I was trying to break free of its grasp. My hands shook. The evil smoke pushed harder.

"Hello Katherine," a cold, cold voice purred in my mind. "I finally found you."

I screamed, trying not to succumb to the evil force trying to take over my mind. But it was gaining power. I could feel my body going numb, with cold and pain and fear. How can I fight against something I can't see? I was beginning to lose my vision. Things were turning dark.

"Leave us alone!" a voice cut through the murkiness. Something landed in the tiny crack on the door, and a golden ripple of power spread out from the source. With that ripple I felt the grip of the evil smoke slip away and disappear. My head cleared and the pain went away, even though the cold lingered. My vision cleared and I saw Ashley standing in the middle of the room, facing the door. A fierce, determined look was on her face and her right hand was outstretched towards the door. She stood in a battle stance, and her cloak fluttered behind her dramatically. Upon closer look, a small wooden dart was embedded in the crack, only its hilt peeking out. Rosewood?

Ashley was breathing hard. Slowly she lowered her hand. "Everyone okay?" she asked quietly. The people in the room were dead silent, staring openmouthed. Jason and Rachel looked a bit ashen but mumbled that they were fine. Lucian and Indigo had their swords out, but they too looked a bit shocked and pale. Ashley turned to me. "Katherine, what happened? Why did you—Katherine!"

My brows were furrowed in pain and I wobbled, suddenly unable to support myself. The cold, which retreated a bit, came back and spread, making me feel chilled to the core. I fell back, but someone enveloped me into their warmth.

"Kath! Kath are you okay?!" Aaron's voice came to me as the darkness threatened to pull me under again. I struggled to hold on to his voice.

"I—" I shuddered. It was really, really cold. "I feel so cold," I whispered. "The smoke...it—it tried to take over my mind...Aaron, I feel so cold..." I was struggling to stay awake now. The cold had turned to ice, and I felt trapped.

"Lucian! Fire!" Aaron shouted as he hugged me tighter, giving me some of his warmth. Lucian obeyed and came over with large fires cupped in his hands. Aaron slowly sank to the ground, holding me, as Lucian crouched and brought the fire as close as he could without burning me.

I shivered, not feeling any of the warmth the fire should have given off. "Not...working..." I wheezed. "It's dark magic...tell Rachel and Ashley..." I felt encased in ice. It was so, so cold. So cold I couldn't even describe it. I felt like I was going to die. Then the pain. The pain came back. It came from within, from the dark corners of my mind, the left over traces of the evil smoke. I let out an inhuman shriek, struggling against Aaron's grip.

"Rachel, Ashley, Katherine said it was the evil smoke thing. It tried to take over her mind. Can you guys heal her?" Aaron said urgently, fighting to keep me restrained.

"Oh? The smoke?" Rachel and Ashley exchanged a glance.

"We can only try this together," Rachel said, rolling up her sleeves.

"I think I know which spell might work," said Ashley, making her way towards us. "It might also get rid of this evil smoke thing too."

Rachel placed a hand on my forehead, and nearly pulled away. "You're burning," she murmured as she placed her hand gingerly against my skin. "Heal."

That's when I lost all consciousness. The darkness consumed me and I couldn't do anything except let go.

A/N: Wow things are getting heated aren't they? Wonder what happens next? Oh, this is so exciting! I'm having so much fun writing this. I only hope you all are having just as much fun reading the chapters.

Well, thanks for reading! Please comment, share, and vote!

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

Wounded and Bounded Από Eeman Faisal

Μυστήριο / Τρόμου/ Θρίλερ

3.7K 254 9
The Guilded Raven Awards: 3rd place (Mystery/Thriller) What if you woke up in an unfamiliar bedroom and found out that you got kidnapped? What if you...
1.4K 156 27
In a blinding flash of light, five strangers are yanked from this world and thrust into a land of sorcery as they are granted the looks and abilities...
33 5 5
(UPDATES EVERY WEEK) The tension grows throughout the seven kingdoms of Amytheria as the number of missing people continues to rise rapidly. The king...
The Eight Από Oboe1324

Φαντασίας

16.1K 478 20
Peace was over the land, but nothing lasts forever... 8 unlikely teens with amazing abilities have joined together to stop the darkness rising ~~~~~ ...