Six (Countdown book 1)

By Averys_Blade

"It all started when I turned twelve. Up until then, I was near enough a normal kid. Despite my unusual name... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue
Update/Rewrite
Rewrite Update #2

Chapter 9

192 19 7
By Averys_Blade

I knew I was dreaming, but that didn't make it any less terrifying. I used to have really bad nightmares when I was a kid, but this one was different. It started off quite nice. I was sat at home, with my mum and dad, eating a Sunday roast and watching a film, like we always did on Sundays.

"Eli, we've got to go." my dad said suddenly. I turned towards him. His eyes had turned icy blue, just like Tony's. 

"What?" I shouted, jumping to my feet. I felt my heartbeat quicken

"Come with me, Eli." my dad continued, and his features slowly changed, and suddenly Tony was sat in front of me. "We've got to take you somewhere safe." 

"No!" I stumbled backwards as Tony stood up. "I don't want to go with you! You're a traitor! Mum, help me!" 

My mum stared at me, crying. "I'm sorry, Eli, but you have to go." Tony walked closer to me, and picked me up by my arm. 

"Come on, kid. Ben and Wyatt are waiting. You don't want to upset them, do you?" 

I could hear my pulse roaring in my ears, and my heart was thumping like a rabbit's foot. "NO!" I shouted. "STAY AWAY FROM ME!" I struggled, and hit him with my arms and legs as he dragged me towards the door. 

"Mum! PLEASE!" I yelled, feeling tears springing to my eyes. "Help me! He's a tratior! He's-" I was dragged oput of the front door, and felt my head thump all too realistically on the front step. 

"I'm not the traitor, kid." Tony told me, but his eyes stared so coldly at me that I thought I'd freeze on the spot. "You're not smart enough to figure out who the real traitor is." He dragged me down the driveway, towards the street. I saw Scarlett and Mackenzie walking up the road towards us. 

"Scarlett!" I shouted. "Help me! It's Tony, he's the traitor!" 

"I know he's the traitor, silly." Scarlett said, smiling. "But he's like a brother to me. I wouldn't side with you over him.

"Mackenzie. Please." I begged, my head hurting from where I'd hit it on the step. 

"Why would I save you?" she asked me, frowning. "You almost got me killed, remember." 

"No!" I said disbelievingly. "I saved you!" 

"I didn't need your help." Mackenzie said, glaring at me. "You're just the idiot who thought he'd be the hero..." My eyesight was going fuzzy, and when I looked up the front garden path, I noticed that my mum was stood at the door, waving me off, and I saw the thick trail of blood I'd left behind me. I knew that'd never happen in reality, but I was dreaming. Anything could happen.

Tony leaned over, and stared at me, laughing. "Hey look, the kid's crying. I think we hurt his feelings." His cold blue eyes seemed to stare straight through me. 

Mackenzie and Scarlett started laughing as well. "Aw, the poor kid." Scarlett said, grinning. "I think he's going to cry to his mummy." 

I gasped, my head now feeling as though it were on fire. I could bearly see, and I could hear a ringing in my ears. "Look, he wet himself!" Mackenzie said, laughing harder. The other two joined in. 

"P-please." I mumbled. "I- my head..." 

"The kid's hurt himself." Tony said, leaning in closer to glare down at me again. "Too bad." 

I awoke with a jolt, my bed drenched in sweat. "Hey, kid." Tony was standing over me. I freaked out and kicked him hard in the shins. "Ow! What was that for?" 

"Sorry." I mumbled. "I was having a-" 

"Nightmare." Tony finished, clutching his bruised leg. "I know, you kept shouting out and kicking the covers around. Wyatt sent me up here after breakfast to see why you weren't up yet. So you need to get up now, before you miss any more of Mythology." 

"Oh, right." I muttered, rubbing my eyes tiredly. "Sorry about, um kicking you." 

"That's fine." Tony muttered. He got up and limped over towards the door. "See you at lunch, kid." he called as he left. 

I let out a heavy sigh, and sat up in the bed. My head was pounding, and my face felt hot. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, and went slightly light-headed. I stood up, and looked back down at the bed. I realised that I had actually wet myself in the night. I felt my face go even hotter, despite the fact that there was no one around. 

I had a shower and got changed, probably spending longer than I should have in the shower. Then, I stripped my covers off the bed and washed them off in the shower. I hung them over the rail, feeling ashamed of myself. I used one of my used t-shirts as a cloth and cleaned the mattress with hot, soapy water. 

I brushed my teeth and washed my face off, then went and sat down at my desk, leaning back heavily in the chair. Before I knew it, I was asleep again, and instead of dreaming, I just recalled the memories of when I'd last wet the bed when I was eight. 

My mum had been so disappointed in me because I hadn't wet the bed in a year and a half. It took me ages to get out of the habit, because I used to wet the bed whenever I had a nightmare. My parents eventually took me to see someone about it, and they explained that lots of kids went through the phase and that I'd be fine in a few months time. And after that time when I was eight, I hadn't wet the bed. Not until now, that is. 

"Eli?" I opened my eyes warily, and saw Scarlett looking down at me. "What's the matter?" she asked, frowning. "You didn't show up for any of your morning lessons or breakfast or lunch." 

"I'm just tired." I mumbled, resisting the urge to close my eyes again. 

"Um, what's up with your bed?" she asked, staring at the massive wet patch in the middle where I'd cleaned the stains off. I didn't reply. "Eli, are you sure you're okay? You don't look so great." 

"Mhmm." I murmured, feeling my eyes slowly drifting to a close again. 

"Listen, I'm going to go and get Wyatt." Scarlett said worriedly. "Are you going to be okay until I get back?" I nodded, feeling my stomach churning. She stared doubtfully down at me for a bit longer, and then turned to leave. I finally gave up the fight, and let my eyes close again. 

When I woke up, Wyatt was standing over me, staring at me with obvious concern. "You don't look so great, Eli." 

I went to reply, but instead threw up. Wyatt stepped back just in time to avoid getting covered. I bent double and threw up again. I could feel beads of sweat dripping down my back and face. Wyatt reached down and lifted my chin so that I was looking up at him.

"It looks like food poisoning." Wyatt said. I groaned. 

"Are you sure?" I realised that Scarlett was in the room, standing behind Wyatt. 

"Hm." Wyatt replied. "The symptoms seem appropriate-"

"I think I'm going to-" I threw up again before I finished my sentence. I groaned again, clutching my stomach. 

"Is he going to be okay?" Scarlett asked Wyatt. 

"I don't know yet." Wyatt said, examining my face closely. "I'll have to see how he progresses." I felt my eyes drifting closed of their accord again. My last thought before I passed out was that Tony had been on kitchen duty yesterday, which was probably when I'd got the food poisoning. He had tried to kill me. Again.

I had the same nightmare that I'd had earlier on that day. And it was just as terrible, just as horrifying. I woke up in the same state that I had earlier, confused, disorientated and with a killer head ache. 

"I was beginning to worry you weren't waking up." 

"I didn't want to wake up." I mumbled. I opened my eyes, and Scarlett was looking down at me, smiling. I realised that I was back in my bed, and that the sheets were back on, but I guessed I'd probably soiled them again in my sleep. 

I felt something cold on my head, and reached up a hand. I pulled off a cold, wet flannel and stared at it for a moment before registering what it was. Then I put it back on my head. 

"How long was I asleep?" I asked. 

"Two weeks." Scarlett replied. 

"What?" I croaked. 

"I'm kidding." she said, staring at me as though I should have worked that out. "A day or so." she looked down at her watch. 

"Where's Wyatt?" I asked. 

"He's teaching Andy and Aiden." Scarlett said. "Tony's in History, Mackenzie's on guard duty, which just leaves me and you."

I groaned, my body aching. "Am I dying?" 

Scarlett laughed, but not cruelly. "No, Eli, you're not dying. Why do you always have to be so over-dramatic?" 

"I feel like I'm dying." I said. 

"Wyatt said you'll be up and on your feet in a few days. He had some medicine, luckily, so you'll be fine in a few hours."

"Why does it take so long to work?" I moaned. Scarlett just smiled at me. "Did I... Did I wet the bed again?" I asked, feeling my cheeks grow hotter.

Scarlett looked at me sympathetically. "You did, but we changed the covers over again. There's nothing to be ashamed of, Eli. You couldn't help it. Wyatt said it's a typical symptom of food poisoning." 

"Hm." I muttered distractedly. I remembered when when almost got caught by the Hunters at the train station, because Tony had accidently made it snow. And then he'd accidently tripped up on the stairs, making it almost impossible to get away. Then someone had loosened the bricks on the wall, guessing that I'd go up there and fall off. Then, the night that Tony happened to be cooking, I got food poisoning that could probably have killed me. 

"You were right about being a trouble magnet, Eli." Scarlett smiled at me. "That's the third time you've nearly died, and you haven't been here any longer than two weeks."

"I know." I mumbled gultily. "I'm a bit of a menace."

"A bit of a menace? Try 'A hazard to society'. It seems more appropriate." I managed a smile. "See. You're fine." 

"I don't feel fine." 

"Oh, stop feeling so sorry for yourself." Scarlett smiled at me. 

"Yes, boss." I mimicked a salute. I felt my eyelids longing for each other again, my body telling me that I should really sleep. "I'm going to go to sleep again." I warned Scarlett. 

"And I'll be waiting when you wake up." 

I nodded and murmured something that even I didn't understand. My eyelids dropped down heavily over my eyes, and, after maybe two or three seconds, I was asleep again. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.4K 2.5K 17
This version is being discontinued! What can I say, it sucked. But I did have a lot of readers that I owe so much to so I've decided to rewrite it. T...
733 9 13
I was born with the name Breeze, but I don’t go by that now. I go by Eagle. I started out here at the age six, then my sisters death occurred. I didn...
182 28 7
Shortlisted for the Open Novella Contest 2019 • Being a Supervillain is tough. Between managing a secret lair and making sure your mom doesn't stop...
12 1 8
Hi there, before you start reading, I just want to say that English is not my first language, so if there are any mistakes I apologize in advance. ...