Only If You Mean It

By Infinitely_Broken

Charlotte Danes, typical tomboy good girl, just what you'd expect in a cliché story like this right? Wrong. C... More

Prologue
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

297 32 14
By Infinitely_Broken

(A/N This chapter is dedicated to Hooha84 because she helped me out so much with getting my book more popular! Thank you!

Link to the song is in the description!)

Chapter 2

I looked up at Alex hesitantly, not wanting to see his smirking face. His piercing blue eyes searched my face, wanting to see a reaction out of what he just said.

He did get one, of course.

“I- I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I stuttered, looking straight into his eyes. He simply raised an eyebrow at me.

“Oh really? So that wasn’t you in the-“

He didn’t get to finish his sentence as I quickly smacked my hand over his mouth.

“Shut up! That never happened, okay?” I whispered to him, looking around to see if anyone had been paying attention to our conversation. Thankfully, no one was.

Alex’s eyes crinkled as if he was smiling, so of course he did the only thing he could do in a situation like this.

He licked my hand.

“Ew! Alex! My hand’s all wet now!” I shouted at him, though I’m sure he could only just hear me over the music anyway.

“That’s what she said” He snickered, and he held his hands up in surrender as I glared at him. I walked over to the sink to wash my hand as he followed me, stopping alongside me and jumping up on the counter.  When I was finished, I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Is there something you want?”

He looked over at me and shot me a smirk.

“Well, you owe me, and your proving to be my source of entertainment this evening, as your brother is currently taking part in a dare on whether he can kiss 20 girls at this party.” He said to be in a posh voice, and I sniggered at his failed attempt.

“And why aren’t you taking part in this dare too?” I asked him, before realising that this was the longest conversation I’d ever had with my brother’s best friend. Well, this couldn’t be good.

He looked over at me in mock shock,

“Do I look like I want aids?” he joked, and then winked at me. He jumped off the counter, and I got the opportunity to look him over properly. He was wearing a pair of black high tops and black jeans, and a red, white and black check shirt, as well as a black beanie on his head, pushing his brown hair over one of his eyes in the process. He pushed his hair out of his eyes before asking me if I wanted another drink. I raised my eye brows at him, not only because he offered, but because I wasn’t completely sure if he would drug it too.

He seemed to realise what I was thinking before smirking at me and saying

“Don’t worry, I won’t drug it” He winked at me and walked off towards the drinks table.

I took the opportunity to look around the room again, trying to find my brother. I couldn’t see him anywhere and my eyebrows creased as I frowned. Where could that boy be?

Alex strutted back over to me with two drinks and handed one to me. He was about to open his mouth to say something but he was quickly interrupted by a squeal. He rolled his eyes and turned around.

“Hey Lucy.” He said in a fake happy tone. I looked around his shoulder to see a girl with bright red hair, trying to look good in a skimpy crop top and mini-skirt. She walked over to him and tried to hug him, looking like she was winding him in the process. I stepped out of the way and put a hand over my mouth, trying not to laugh at her desperate attempt.

“Alex! I missed you so much! I’ve been asking everyone where you are, but then they said that you were with a hippo! Why were you with a hippo Alex? Are you cheating on me?!”

By this time I had guessed that this girl was a bit tipsy.

“Lucy, I wasn’t with a hippo, and we are not together, how many times do I need to tell you that?” Alex sighed, whilst trying to pry her hands off of his body. She looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

“But, Alex baby, we’re supposed to be together forever! Why can’t you be with m- “she stopped abruptly when she saw me. “ Is it because of her? Do you love her and not me?”

She stomped over to me and looked me up and down, trying to see if she had any competition. She didn’t of course, we both knew that. Plus, Alex is my brother’s best friend! How cliché would that be?

She smirked at me as I slowly backed away from her, not wanting to start any trouble, but she quickly grabbed my wrist.

“Listen here, you stay away from Alex. He can do so much better than you. You’re pathetic to go after someone like him, you have no chance.”  She walked away thinking she was triumphant, but I felt anger bubbling up inside me, she can’t get away with talking to me like that. No way bitch.

“And here I was thinking that Alex didn’t like AIDS…” I trailed off, whilst she stopped and turned, glaring at me. Then she had the nerve to look at Alex and wait for him to stick up for her! Sheesh.

I found it very amusing to find that he was trying very hard not to laugh at my comment.

She huffed in frustration and stomped off once again, to her little groupie friends that started comforting her immediately. Alex came over to me and slung his arm over my shoulder whilst laughing. I froze and subtly walked out of his grasp, so I could ‘get my drink’.

“That was great, it really was.” He sighed when he stopped laughing, smiling at me. I smiled back at him, taking a sip of my drink.

“ Alex, what is this?” I asked him hesitantly, realising my drink didn’t taste like coke anymore.

He smirked at me, once again, as he replied;

“I said I wasn’t gonna drug your drink, I didn’t say I wasn’t gonna give you alcohol.”  He winked at me.

I looked around at everyone, seeing them dancing, grinding against each other, and just having fun. I looked down at my drink, the cup full of what I could now see was just beer. I internally debated what to do.

Oh, fuck it.

I downed the drink quickly, and grinned up at Alex, seeing him look at me slightly surprised.

“Come on then Alex, let’s dance.” I was already feeling tipsy, as I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards where everyone else was dancing. I recognised the song playing was Can We Dance by The Vamps.

Fitting right?

 I smiled up at Alex as I started moving my hips to the rhythm, he looked down at me smirking, placing his hands on my waist.

I talk a lot of shit when I’m drinking baby,

I’m known to go a little too fast

Don’t mind all my friends,

I know they’re all crazy

But they’re the only friends that I have

I know I don’t know you,

But I’d like to, skip the small talk and romance, girl

That’s all I have to say so baby can we dance?

I danced happily with Alex for what seemed like forever, and after what I think was my 5th drink, I leaned on Alex giggling.

“You alright there Charlie-bear?” he asked me whilst smiling. I frowned at him.

“Hey, only Luke calls me that. Wait, he’s not supposed to call me that!” I yelled at Alex, then I started laughing before a question popped into my head. Where is Luke?

“Hey Alex, do you know where Luke is?”  I asked Alex whilst looking around the room for any sign of my brother.

 “Hmmm, I haven’t seen him since he left the room with Mike and Daniel…” he replied, creasing his eyebrows in concentration.

Suddenly, there was a loud bang from outside, and a huge crowd was forming around someone. I ran outside, and saw a boy lying limp on the floor, a girl crying and she held his head in her lap, his shoulder wound bleeding profusely. I looked around and I saw what I never expected to see.

My brother.

Holding a gun.

Oh dear god.

I ran over to Luke, quickly snatching the gun out of his hands and throwing it to the floor.

“Luke… What have you done?” I whispered to him. He stared down at his hands and then to me, his bloodshot eyes full of tears.

“I-I…They said…I…” He started, but then looked around quickly as sirens could be heard in the distance.  I picked up the gun quickly and stuffed it in my back pocket.

“Luke, run.” I said to him, my voice shaking. He looked at me in shock, and then turned and ran.

I sank down to the floor, holding my head between my knees. My brother would never had done this, sure he got into trouble a lot, but shooting someone…

“Charlotte.” I looked up and saw Alex looking down at me.

“We need to get out of here. You’re in no state to go home; you can come to my house.”

I looked up at him blankly, unable to process anything right now.

“ Come on Charlie, you’re not safe here.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me up to my feet, and we started walking away from the huge crowd.

Oh Luke, what have you done?

Continue Reading