Serendipity - a Fili Oakenshi...

By Brontide

ser·en·dip·i·ty - noun the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way. It is... More

Chapter 1 - Greetings
Chapter 2 - Sudden Interest
Chapter 3 - Promises
Chapter 4 - Prey
Chapter 5 - Secrets
Chapter 6 - Escape Route
Chapter 7 - a Spark
Chapter 9 - Nightmares
Chapter 10 - Monster among Men
Chapter 11 - Demons
Chapter 12 - the Truth
Chapter 13 - The Fall of Sandalius
Chapter 14 - Mirkwood
Chapter 15 - Barrel out of Bond
Chapter 16 - the Bowman

Chapter 8. - Home

1.7K 57 5
By Brontide

Fili had never had any problem understanding women; they were vivacious, flaunty, and where he came from, bearded. They threw themselves at him, not that he ever threw himself back, but the gestures were flattering. They were all so predictable; the way they would stare and bat their eye lashes, swing their hips and twirl their beards. They were all so dependent, because without a man, a woman was nothing in dwarven society.

But Ùsahtiel needed no man, and this is where his mind became baffled. She had a tough exterior, but her breakdown at the Hidden Pass clearly showed that something else was going on.

Fili had never thought and pondered so hard in his life.

“You all saw it! That was it, that was the wolf!” Ori was verbalizing what had been on the dwarves’ minds since they escaped; the giant white wolf.

“Surely it was some sort of...I...maybe it was...” Gloin was stumped as well. “I don’t know laddie.”

“It didn’t look like any wolf that I was use to seeing.” Dwalin said.

“Did you see it, Ùsahtiel?” Bilbo asked.

“Uh, no.” She quickly lied. “I wasn’t with you when it happened.”

Dwalin narrowed his eyes at Ùsahtiel. “Yeah, where were you?”

“I was ahead, behind some other rocks.” Her mouth became dry and she lied through her teeth. By now, she should be the queen of lying and deceiving.

Dwalin just sniffed, and turned away while the others just dropped the subject. They continued walking through the claustrophobic pass, and it was not to long before they were standing over the great city of Rivendell.

Ùsahtiel had never seen an elf before, let alone an Elven City. Her eyes lit up, and she stood frozen as she took in the view of the sun beaming off the fortress.

“This was your plan all along.” Thorin sneered to Gandalf. “To seek

refuge

with the enemy.”

“You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield.” Gandalf sneered back. “The only ill-will you will find in this valley is that which you bring, yourself.”

“You want the elves to give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us.”

“Of course they will.” Gandalf said matter-of-factly. “But the elves can help us, give us answers. And if we are to be successful, this will require a great deal of tact, and no small amount of charm. That is why you will be leaving the talking up to me.” He said, leading the group into the valley.

Fili watched Ùsahtiel, and studied her closely. Not in a perverse way, just in an observational way. Every chance she got, she would glance over at the city. Her lips remained in a tight line, her eyes wide with curiosity. She was well composed and an even mix of a woman and a warrior, Fili could already tell. It’s not like he hadn’t caught a glimpse of the scars on the back of her neck, which looked as if they had been made by teeth, leading him to wonder what had gone on in her previous life.

“Isn’t it marvelous?” Ùsahtiel whispered to Bilbo, who looked just as awestruck as she did.

“It’s beautiful. I’ve read about this but never...actually...” Bilbo trailed off, caught up in the view.

“Have you ever seen an elf before?” She asked. “I haven’t.”

“This is a first for both of us then.” He said as a young elf came down the steps to greet them. He and Gandalf traded words and finally Gandalf spoke, “I need to speak with Lord Elrond.”

“My Lord Elrond is not here.” He said.

“Not here?” Gandalf pursed his lips. “Where is he?” Though, the young elf did not have to speak because right then an elven horn sounded, and the dwarves turned to look towards where they had come from. Over a dozen elves on horseback were racing towards them.

“Close ranks!” Thorin commanded, and Bilbo and Ùsahtiel were thrown into the arena of dwarves as the elves began to circle on their horses. Ùsahtiel watched as the horses trotted around and around, the elves throwing them nasty looks, but Ùsahtiel was mesmerized. They finally came to a halt, and the leader dismounted.

“Gandalf!” He greeted the Grey Wizard.

“Elrond.” The wizard replied, and they began to speak in the native tongue. They embraced briefly and then Elrond said, “Strange for orcs to come so close to our borders. Something or someone must’ve drawn them near.” He said, handing over a staff to the younger elf that had greeted the dwarves.

“Oh yes, that might’ve been us.” Gandalf nodded.

And then, against Gandalf’s wishes, Thorin stepped forward.

“Welcome, Thorin son of Thrain.” Elrond acknowledged.

“I do not believe we have met.” Thorin said quite coldly.

“You have your grandfather’s bearing.” Elrond nodded. “I knew Thror when he ruled under the mountain.”

“Indeed.” replied Thorin, still in his cold voice. “He made no mention of you.”

Elrond sucked on his teeth, hesitating to reply. It’s not exactly polite to brawl with your guests...even if they are asking for it. He then spoke in his native tongue, confusing the dwarves.

“What is he saying! Is he offering us insult?” Gloin growled as he fought his way towards the front, axe drawn.

“No, master Gloin he offers you food.”

The dwarves didn’t take long to consult each other before agreeing that, yes, food would be acceptable. Though, if they had known it would’ve been greens and berries, they would’ve thought otherwise.

“Just try it. One bite.” Dori pleaded, trying to get his youngest brother to take a bite of a leafy green.

Ori shook his head. “I don’t like green food.”

Ùshatiel agreed with him, pushing her bowl away. She was not born to be a herbivore, she could barely stand being an omnivore.

“Where’s the meat?” Dwalin grumbled.

“Excuse me.” Ùshatiel bowed her head and slipped away from the table, Bofur being the only one to notice her exit. He also noticed how she massaged her temple and bit her bottom lip as if she had a migraine. She just needs some rest, he concluded and let her be.

* * * * *

You let her get away!” Filitarn had Hrolf pinned beneath him, his teeth pressed against the gray wolf’s throat.

“You saw what it was like! The orcs- there were too many!” Hrolf whimpered in his defense, tail tucked between his legs.

“You had one order, and that was to grab the girl. How could you mess that up?” Filitarn raged, snapping at Hrolf’s face.

“Master, the chances of Hrolf making it in alone were slim, let alone making it out with a girl.” Fridolf, the older brown wolf, said as he cleaned between his toes. “There will be another chance.”

Filitarn spun around, baring his teeth at Fridolf. “She is in the realm of the elves now! There will not be another chance if we do not get through the mountains.”

“Do not snap at me, whelp.” Fridolf was on his feet, snarling back at Filitarn. “You may be the Alpha, but I am you’re father’s brother. I am a much older and wiser warrior.”

“Are you threatening me?” Filitarn growled.

“I am reminding you, you self absorbed brat, that sometimes you must go an extra mile for the prey.” Fridolf relaxed. “There is always another chance. We’ve got to remain one step ahead of the prey.”

“What of her brother?” Hrolf had rolled over onto his belly now.

“What of Olcan, oh coward? He refused to hunt.” Filitarn replied.

“I saw him, not four nights ago.” Hrolf said.

What?” Filitarn had him pinned again. “You did not bother to mention this?” Hrolf was silent, for he did not know how to explain. “Damn the Silvers and their sly ways. More fox-like than wolf, those liars.

“Dear brother Olcan has gone to warn his sister of our whereabouts. Touching. How crafty of him. How loyal.”

“How do you plan to deal with this, my Lord?” Fridolf asked.

“As I would with any traitor.” Filitarn said, staring down into the valley below them, a wicked smile pulling across his chops, exposing his fangs. “Death.”

* * * * *

Ùsahtiel sat in the window, watching the sun go down behind the mountains. She was lost in thought when suddenly a hot plate of food was dropped in her lap, startling her.

“You looked hungry.” Fili said. “Bofur told me to bring this to you.”

Ùsahtiel looked down at the greasy sausages and steamed leaves. Her stomach growled, urging her to eat something. “Thank you.” Was all she said, though she knew Fili would not go away.

“Why don’t you join us?” Fili offered.

“You act as if you know me from a personal perspective, when really, your kind cannot stand my presence.” Ùsahtiel snapped. “Are you trying to deceive yourself, or is there something you want from me?”

“It was a kind gesture. Surely you do not enjoy being alone.” Fili snapped back and Ùshatiel slid from the window sill, shoving the plate of food back at Fili.

“Alone protects me, and in the end, it protects you.” She replied in a low voice, pushing past him.

“Look, I didn’t mean to... Would you... Wait a minute!” He set the plate of food down, and grabbed her wrist. He was not prepared for her to swipe her hand across his face, making his skin sting and puff-up where she had scratched him.

“I...I...” Ùsahtiel gasped. “I’m sorry, it was a reaction. I didn’t mean to- Oh, I’m so sorry.” She pulled him over to a chair and sat him down. He covered the side of his face with one hand, hissing between his teeth. “Here, let me see it.” She said, pulling his hand away from his eye as she continued to apologize. He surprisingly wasn’t bleeding, but she had scratched his eye-lid, which was beginning to swell slightly.

“I’m alright.” He managed to say. “If I’d known you would have a reaction like that... Why did you?”

“Just...umm...” She was caught out in the open. “Things in the past. The way I’ve been treated, I’ve learned to respond quickly.”

“Is that where your scars came from?” Fili blurted.

Ùsahtiel looked down at her arms and the scars that remained around her wrists. “Yes. They’re reminders of the evil in the world.”

“Pardon me, but I don’t believe any man- if that’s who made these- should be labeled a man at all if he’s low enough to do this.” Fili said, obviously over being slapped by her. “Especially not to a beautiful woman.”

“It was my society, it was my home.” She said, running her fingers across the shiny, pink flesh.

“Well, we’ll just have to make this your home then.” Fili said, pulling her fingers away from the scar. “You even said you wanted to change. Why not be a dwarf?”

Ùsahtiel giggled, and it was the first time he had seen her smile, yet alone laugh.

“You’ve got the slap of a dwarven woman.” Fili added. “Just know that you don’t have to be alone on this journey.”

“Well, well well, what’s happenin’ over here?” Bofur smirked as he walked up to the two of them. “Sweet nothings, I suppose?”

“Oh, mind yer own business.” Dori said, shooing him along. Of course, the other dwarves were snickering and raising their eyebrows. “We’re going off the bed, mates. It’ll be an early start.” Dori added.

“Right. Better start heading that way.” Ùsahtiel murmured, her hand slipping out of Fili’s. For a moment, he thought that none of the things he had said mattered, but after she turned and mouthed “Goodnight” did he feel a bit better.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

360K 11.9K 47
A long time after a far moons passed, The Kingdom of Erebor in the Lonely Mountain was taken from the dwarves by the evil fire breathing dragon...
69.9K 1.8K 26
Y/n was considered the perfect girl. Perfect grades, her parents let her do whatever she wants, she's a part of the track team, her family is rich...
191K 3.4K 25
[Completed. 107.100 words] After being a captive of goblins for weeks, Alyssae is rescued by dwarfs. As Bilbo Baggins gives his life to save her, she...
303K 11.9K 86
Bilbo Baggins isn't the only unexpected member of Thorin Oakenshield's company. Another is recruited by the Grey Wizard who believes that she may hol...