Burning Desire

By EverleighAshcroft

2018 Wattys Longlisted. A little spicy. A little sweet. A lot of passion. Kate Crawford has always known what... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue
The Sequel: The Ties That Bind (Jesse's Story)
Buy Burning Desire
Sneak Peek at Licensed to Kill
Acknowledgements
Dedication
Burning Desire
About the Author
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Playlist

Chapter 11

19.3K 596 28
By EverleighAshcroft

"I think you're overthinking it." Kacey pointed a spatula at me.

We'd been standing in her kitchen, making cupcakes all morning. I'd decided to take the day off and help out after she'd called me at five in the morning, complaining about how hard it was going to be to do all the cooking herself.

Kacey's friend, Erica, was getting married, and something had gone awry with the original dessert caterers, which left Erica without a wedding cake or any other desserts. She was unable to find another caterer at the last minute, considering the wedding was Wednesday night, and it was currently Wednesday morning. As a result, she'd begged and pleaded for Kacey to make the cake, cupcakes, and pies. Apparently, Kacey had a history of not knowing when to say no to a seemingly impossible last-minute task.

Baking was the last thing I wanted to spend my Wednesday doing. Desserts had never been my forte, and I had a million other things I could be doing at the office. But I could hear the frustration in Kacey's voice, and I would've felt bad if I'd left her to handle it herself, so I ended up taking the day off to help her out.

We'd barely finished the fifth batch of cupcakes, and this chore was becoming a nightmare.

"It's just bothering me," I groaned, referring to the New York Times contest we'd been discussing for twenty minutes.

Kacey had asked me about my submission and I had to repeat everything to her that I'd told Selena. I was still stressing over whether either entry had been "good enough."

"I really want to have some luck with this. It's such a huge opportunity if they notice me!"

"And I really want to have some luck with these damn cupcakes!" Kacey made a face at the one she was putting chocolate frosting on. "Why can't they make themselves? Or why can't I have eight ovens? And who in their right mind invites three hundred people to a wedding?"

Who in their right mind takes on the chore of making all these desserts?

We'd spent two hours going to four different grocery stores to buy out the entire shelves of chocolate and vanilla cupcake mixes and pie shells, as well as too much milk, an ungodly number of egg cartons, and various other cooking essentials. The cashiers had looked at us like we were insane, and I couldn't say I blamed them. We were a two-person baking circus. All that was missing were clown aprons.

In the midst of our mutual frustration and Kacey's never-ending complaints, it occurred to me that I might have a solution to the madness.

"Kacey, I think I know how to make some of this go faster," I told her, washing some frosting off my hands and retrieving my phone.

I went to the other room to call Alex.

"Stephens," he answered on the third ring.

A warm, fuzzy feeling crept up my body. I was happy to hear his voice. It was soft and sweet, like curling up in a plush blanket.

I smiled at the phone. "Hey, Alex."

"Oh, hey!" He sounded equally as delighted to hear from me. "How's the baking going?"

Ironically, at the same time as he asked, I heard a crash come from the kitchen, and a half dozen curse words leave Kacey's mouth.

"Quite riveting!" I giggled sarcastically. "That's actually what I'm calling you about."

"Okay. What's going on?"

I hoped it wasn't too forward to ask, but we desperately needed the help. One oven just was not cutting it. Kacey was insane to take on such a chore.

"Is there any chance your mom could lend us a hand in this? We're running out of time really fast, and we've barely gotten anything done."

"She should be done with the book club within the hour," he said. "I'll call her and see if she can help."

"You're a lifesaver!" I breathed a sigh of relief.

The sound of glass breaking and a metal cookie sheet hitting the floor was my cue to end the call. Obviously, cooking wasn't Kacey's strong suit.

We had sixty cupcakes finished out of the three-hundred-fifty needed, and we hadn't even begun working on the cake or pies. Kacey and I were ready to pull our hair out and start throwing baking supplies out the window to the tune of an angry breakup song.

"This is ridiculous!" she complained, flower and frosting covering her purple apron. "I'm ready to give up! Can I give up yet?"

I giggled, shaking my head. "I'm just as frustrated as you, but we can't, unfortunately. Maybe next time someone asks you to do something like this, you might want to fake the flu or something."

Kacey continued to work on the cupcakes while I started making pie after pie. Luckily, Erica had only asked for cold pies, so no baking was needed, which was a huge timesaver.

I was on my fourth pie when my phone buzzed with a text from a number I didn't recognize.

"Kate, this is Marie Stephens. Alex told me you need some help cooking for a wedding. Text me the address and we'll be right over."

"Kacey, I just got a text from Alex's mom," I said, relieved that help was on the way. "She's going to come over and help us."

"Fuck yes!" Kacey exclaimed dramatically. "Praise the cooking gods!"

I texted a quick reply with Kacey's address, and an hour later, Marie and some of her book club friends showed up.

Marie hugged me tightly when she walked in.

"Alright, Kate, show me where the problem is!" She put her hands on her hips with a smile like she was ready to take on the world.

I introduced Kacey to everyone and explained the situation. As soon as I told Marie that we'd been trying to dish out an entire dessert table, she almost couldn't contain her laughter.

"Oh, sweethearts! What were you thinking? We can fix this. This is an easy fix. Right, Rita?" she asked the tall redhead next to her.

Rita nodded with a smile. "I have a friend who owns a bakery. Since the cupcakes and pies are simple and common, we should be able to get the majority of what's left to do from her, and we can make the extra few ourselves. Marie is an expert at wedding cakes! She made mine and Jerry's. It was beautiful! Let her work on that and we'll take care of the rest, okay?"

I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. There was no way we would've been able to finish everything on time without help.

Kacey gave Rita a list of what kinds of cupcakes and pies Erica wanted, and Rita and the other ladies were off in a flash to see her friend.

While she was gone, Kacey, Marie, and I began work on the wedding cake. I'd never made a cake in my life. I didn't know the first thing about it. Marie made it look easy, though.

Halfway through the cooking process, Kacey called Erica to tell her what was going on, and Erica said she'd be happy to pay for anything Rita's baker friend could give us. I didn't even want to imagine how high that number would be. I made a mental note to never invite three hundred people to my wedding, and always have a backup caterer.

"How are you and Alex doing?" Marie asked me.

My cheeks instantly flushed at the thought of him. I didn't know how to answer her, though. As far as I could tell, we were just friends. Did Mrs. Stephens think we were more? Part of me wanted us to be, but then there was Jesse. I was almost one-hundred-percent positive I wanted Jesse and I to be more.

"Great," I smiled. "He's a good... friend."

I hesitated with the last word and it was obvious she noticed. I wished she hadn't.

Marie nodded. "He talks about you a lot. I figure you must be something special, because he never mentioned his last girlfriend unless they were fighting."

"Girlfriend?" I frowned. "We're not-"

"Oh, I know, dear," she said casually, creating a row of red roses out of frosting around the bottom layer of the cake. "But I can see how you two look at each other. A blind person could recognize that you and my son like each other."

My face felt hot and I was sure my cheeks were beet red. I was embarrassed, but at the same time, my heart was doing backflips and cartwheels at the thought of Alex taking a romantic interest in me.

My excitement was short-lived, though, when Jesse popped back into my mind. It occurred to me that I still didn't know what time he was going to be back. I made the excuse of needing to use the restroom and slipped away to call Jesse. He didn't answer and I didn't want Marie to hear me, so I didn't bother leaving a voicemail. I texted him a quick message, asking what time his flight was supposed to get in and if he needed a ride. Then I scurried back into the kitchen like everything was perfectly normal.

"Kate, let me show you how to do this," Marie smiled, holding the frosting tube.

We spent the next fifteen or so minutes putting the finishing touches on the cake. It was a triple layer chocolate cake with white chocolate frosting covering it, and red frosting roses lining the base of each layer. It was exquisite. Marie had really outdone herself in a short amount of time. I could see why Rita said she was an expert at wedding cakes. I was extremely impressed!

"This is amazing!" I complimented. "I might have to have you do mine."

Marie grinned. "Oh, I would love that, sweetheart! You know, the culinary arts were my heart's desire when it came to careers. I went to culinary school and learned how to make all these incredible dishes. I was so sure I was going to be this fantastic world-renowned chef and open my own restaurant - maybe a chain of them - and cook for the rest of my life. I wanted to be the next Ina Garten or Rachael Ray. Then I met my husband, and... well, everything just kind of changes when you decide to settle down. It wasn't long before I got pregnant with Alex, and I decided being a mother was more important than anything else I wanted to do."

"Have you ever considered giving it another try?"

"Oh, all the time!" she nodded, beginning to load Kacey's dishwasher. "It's still my dream, but it's just never appeared doable. It never seems like the right time; you know? I thought I'd give it a try after Alex graduated high school, but there was too much else going on, and then we lost his father. I thought I could try again after he got his bachelor's, but I guess it just hasn't worked out that way."

It was sad to hear that Marie hadn't been able to chase her culinary dream like she wanted. I could definitely picture her owning a fancy restaurant.

The thought crossed my mind that if I talked to Jesse, maybe he could offer up some pointers on breaking into the restaurant business. I wasn't sure if that was entirely appropriate, though. I didn't intend for Alex and Jesse to meet each other - at least not while I was involved with both of them. Although, I still wasn't exactly sure if Alex and I were "involved." I didn't know what to call it.

Selena and Kacey had agreed that as long as I was exploring my options, it was best if the men I was exploring them with didn't run into one another. I agreed, knowing that would likely cause a firestorm of unneeded drama. Even Joseph was privy to the potential-relationship mess now. He'd told me that as long as nobody clarified that we were an item, there was nothing wrong with dating around and meeting different people. I wasn't cheating on anyone. He said he'd done the same thing several times, which calmed my concerns a little bit. It made me feel like less of a tramp.

Rita called Marie to let her know she'd acquired all the desserts needed for Erica's reception. Her friend's bakery had had the majority of the sweets. The few things she didn't have, Rita was able to get from another baker she was referred to. Once we had everything finished and ready to go, Kacey called Erica and found out where to have everything delivered.

I was surprised to find out that Erica had been so appreciative of mine, Marie's, and her friends' help, that she'd invited all of us to the wedding. Marie and the other ladies declined since it was such short notice. Rita said she would feel terrible not having enough time to get Erica a wedding gift. I wasn't in the mood to go to a wedding, but Kacey talked me into attending the reception. She'd given me the puppy dog eyes and guilted me into saying yes.

Selena came over after work to help me pick out something to wear. I'd never been to a wedding reception and I wasn't totally clear on what to expect. Most of Selena's speech on the perfect wardrobe was drowned out by my thoughts. I was more focused on what Jesse might be doing at that time, and when I might hear from him. He still hadn't texted me back or called me, and it was taking a lot of my self-control not to blow up his phone.

Four days without seeing Jesse felt like four days too long. I was trying to convince myself that I was jumping into things too fast with him, and that I needed to take it slower. Selena concluded it was probably due to the fact that I hadn't had a man pay attention to me like Jesse had since my ex, and I was quickly becoming addicted. She said it was normal to get wrapped up in your feelings and jump the gun after being single for so long. When she put it like that, I started to think I probably had jumped into bed with him way too fast. I realized I barely knew anything about him. I wanted to get to know him better. At this point, I knew more about Alex than Jesse, and I'd met Jesse first. It seemed backwards.

"What if I don't like what I find out about him?" I asked Selena while she picked through my closet.

She shrugged. "Then at least you had a great time fucking him! And besides, if you don't feel like having a relationship with him after you get to know him, you could keep sleeping with him. That's what I'd do. Sometimes you just need casual sex in your free time. Nobody's saying you have to choose a man to have a relationship with."

I laughed at Selena's explanation, but loosely considered her idea. As stupid as it might have sounded, I didn't hate the idea of having a friends-with-benefits type of relationship with Jesse. If I felt desperate enough, I might even give it a shot. Regardless of whether or not we clicked in a romantic way, we definitely clicked in bed.

Personally, I preferred an actual relationship over casual sex, but it was too early to tell what could become of things with either man, and despite some inhibitions on my part, casual sex was an option on the table. I'd keep it in mind. I didn't want to have to sleep around to get attention, though, but my hormones may have disagreed.

Selena ended up dressing me in one of her favorite formal outfits. I smiled at my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing a semi-long purple dress with white heels. Kacey had already left for the wedding, so Selena helped me curl my hair and put it up in some fancy hairdo. I'd never been good at that sort of thing. The only time I had my hair looking that exquisite was if Selena or Kacey helped me do it.

I arrived at the venue where the reception was being held around seven-thirty. I didn't think I was late, but there were so many people there already that it felt like I was.

The valet parked my car and I wandered around the building until I ran into Kacey, who was already half toasted on champagne, and not-so-subtly trying to flirt with one of the waiters.

"Oh, great!" she grinned, her words slurring. "You made it! Leroy, this is my friend, Kate!"

The waiter looked like he'd rather be anywhere else, and made the excuse of having to check on the food in order to leave, but not before mentioning under his breath that his name was Larry.

"Bye, Leonard!" Kacey giggled and waved at the man drunkenly.

She dragged me through the crowd of people talking, laughing, and drinking, to meet Erica, who was standing on the opposite side of the ballroom in her gorgeous white dress. She was talking to a man in a tux with his back to me, whom I assumed was her husband, and another woman in a pea green pantsuit.

"Erica!" Kacey smiled brightly. "This is Kate."

Erica's eyes lit up and she smiled ear-to-ear, pulling me into a hug. "Thank you so much for helping with the food! I don't know what we would've done without you and your friends!"

"I really didn't do much," I said, awkwardly hugging her back. "I just happened to know a lady that knew other people."

That sounded better in my head.

"Seriously," Erica said as we pulled apart. "It means so much to me. You know, the food is a big part of the reception. It probably would've sucked a lot more without dessert."

I didn't think it sucked. It seemed like everyone was having a pretty good time. But then again, there was a guy across the room who was asleep against the wall with his champagne glass slowly pouring its contents onto his lap. He must not have been much of a party goer.

"Kate, let me introduce you around!" Erica directed my attention back to her. "This is my wedding planner, Lisa Forrester. She's amazing!"

She gestured to the woman in the disaster of a pantsuit. Lisa smiled brightly and told me she would love to be considered for my own wedding someday. She expertly slipped her business card into my hand as we shook hands. I wondered if she kept them in her sleeve. It seemed to come out of nowhere.

"And this is Jesse Reese, my dinner caterer and business partner."

I turned to the man, prepared to shake his hand, but was stunned to see Jesse - my Jesse - standing there.

"Kate." Jesse flashed me a charming smile.

I didn't know whether to be polite and smile back or slap him. Why hadn't he called me back or at least texted me? I felt like I'd been ignored.

"When did you get back in town?" I frowned.

He adjusted the knot in his red tie and cleared his throat. "My flight landed about three hours ago. I got the earlier plane to get back in time for the wedding."

"You two know each other?" Erica butted in, confused.

I tried to politely make Jesse feel like crap.

"Yes," I answered, turning my attention back to her. "He was supposed to call me. I guess he forgot."

Kacey was having a hard time containing her drunken laughter. I started making my way toward the beverages, needing a drink badly, with her in toe. When I glanced back, Erica was saying something to Jesse and she didn't look very happy. A few seconds later, he was hot on my trail.

"Kate, I'm sorry." He sounded sincere, catching up to me.

I noticed that Kacey was now staring daggers through him.

"It's just been a crazy day. Erica and I work together. She's like my sister's best friend. I would've felt like shit, and probably never heard the end of it if I hadn't made it," he explained. "I know I should've called. I was going to as soon as the reception was over."

I couldn't very well fault him for being busy, helping out with Erica's wedding. It made sense that he wouldn't have much free time to chat, but it still hurt that he hadn't at least replied to my text. However, I didn't want to make a huge deal of it and alienate my chances of anything progressing further with Jesse, so I decided to let it go. After all, I was not his girlfriend; he was not required to text me back; and I was not the center of attention. I was stupid to get upset over a little thing. I remembered that Alex hadn't gotten upset over me not returning his call when I'd been out with Jesse. I needed to not allow myself to overthink everything.

"How are you going to make it up to me?" I asked in a flirty tone.

Jesse chuckled and his blue eyes darkened as he leaned in closer to me, fidgeting with his tie knot again.

"How 'bout we get out of here?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 268 24
"Give me two hours of your time every day until spring, and if by then you still don't agree to have sex with me... I'll grant you twenty-four hours...
399K 16.9K 60
She heard a low growl rumble in his throat and turned her head, shooting him a teasing smile before quickly testing the water again with her toe. It...
443K 9.7K 200
Unrealistic Fanfiction ~ Vampires ~going through minor editing~ Rebecca Woods thinks that love, lust, and romance don't exist. Or, at the very least...
6.6M 223K 49
Highest Ranking on hotlist: #1 #Wattpad Exclusive Story #New paid exclusive chapters available Her confusion multiplied, looking at the unrefined fur...