Who Says A God Can't Be A Hun...

By poorhisoka

When Priya, a young mysterious girl of sixteen decides to take the Hunter Exam to become a Hunter and to aven... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6 - [Switched to 1st Person]
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
A/N
A/N
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
A/N

Chapter 17

4.7K 190 17
By poorhisoka

[From Third Person: Hisoka's POV]

"...Well, come on out," Hisoka said aloud, his voice smooth as silk.

There was only deafening silence that surrounded the clearing the magician sat in, besides the gentle wisps of air from the Hemotropic butterflies fluttering wings.

Hisoka's eyes narrowed, a sly smile tugging the corner of his mouth upwards.

"I know you're there."

Still, there was only silence.

The magician easily rose to his feet from the comfortable position he had taken at the foot of the large tree, the butterflies that had perched on his injured shoulder taking flight as he spoke once more, "If you won't come out, I'll come to you."

He turned, taking even, unhurried steps towards the thicket, haughty golden hues trained on the dense underbrush.

A dark, long-haired man quickly rose as Hisoka stopped a few feet away, and amusement shown briefly in the magician's eyes.

In a single swift movement, the man swung a long, sharpened spear, his eyes trained solely on Hisoka. His gaze was cold, contrary to the sweat that beaded on his forehead and trickled steadily down the back of his neck. He swung the spear again, this time taking a defensive stance as he gripped the spear in both hands. "I challenge you to a duel," he spoke out, his voice unwavering.

A slight pause, a chuckle, and the magician replied, "You'll die."

The man gave a nod of his head, accepting his acclaimed fate as he stepped forward into the clearing. He stopped a few feet short of the magician, his stance now offensive. A moment of silence hung between the two, and not even the sound of the evening creatures coming out to play disturbed the stillness in the clearing.

The man gave a battle cry, and came charging at Hisoka. He easily dodged the head-on attack, but the applicant gave him no time to rest, his movements with the spear swift and fluid. Despite that, he was unable to land a blow on the magician who kept dancing out of reach, a mocking smirk on his features. Hisoka merely seemed to be toying with the man who seemed to be tiring out pretty quickly, his attacks quickly becoming sluggish.

The other applicant was becoming agitated, and his next blow aimed at Hisoka sliced the magnificent tree Hisoka had been sitting against in two as the magician evaded the attack, and the tree came crashing down with a resounding boom.

The man stood panting heavily, his body bent over and his fist clenching the spear he held until his knuckles were almost white. He let out a frustrated growl as he once again pointed his spear at Hisoka. "Hisoka, explain yourself – why won't you attack me?!"

"If I continue to avoid your attacks, you'll die eventually," Hisoka replied lightly, his interest in the man already having waned.

During the duration of their fight, the butterflies had swarmed in the clearing, and now that the one that produced the sweet smell they were attracted to stopped moving, the insects had fluttered closer, hovering around the wound in the man's backside.

"I can tell from the swarm of Hemotropic Butterflies that your wounds are grave," Hisoka explained, his gaze shifting downwards as the man collapsed on to one knee. The man was struggling, struggling feebly like every human whose death loomed before them. Hisoka regarded him with disdain, unfeeling and cold to the overly familiar scene before him. "Someone else has already dealt you a fatal blow, yes? Though I do understand your desire to die in battle."

"If you...If you understand so well, w-why do you still refuse to fight me?!" The man had trouble speaking now; sweat continued to trickle down his face and soaked the collar of his shirt, and his wound continued to bleed profusely as he struggled against the inevitable.

Hisoka shifted, his hands placed on his hips as he looked down at the man.

"I have no interest in the dead."

"W-What? I'm not yet – !" the man called as Hisoka turned his back.

"You're already dead," he answered, his gaze once more shifting back to the man. Their gazes locked, and Hisoka spoke once again, his face this time derived of any emotion, "It's in your eyes."

He turned and walked away, taking a leisurely seat on the fallen trunk of the tree, obviously no longer bothered by the man's presence.

"Bye-bye."

Humans, always so strong-headed, could never die out nice and quiet. They always struggled for one last breath, feebly gripping to their ever escaping life. A man like this one was no different. He used the last of his energy, pushing himself to a standing position with his spear. Tears of contempt shown in his eyes, and he gave a final battle cry, rushing at Hisoka with his spear once more.

A sharpened dart came flying from behind the magician and struck the man in the neck, and he froze in place. His pupils dilated, his body twitching slightly as more darts shot out from the brush and impaled him in the face. His hammering heart stopped, his eyes rolling back in his head as he fell back, finally dead.

"Sorry about that. I carelessly let him escape," Gitturackur spoke, an eerie smile on his face as he stood at the base of the clearing, several more of the sharp darts held between his fingers.

"Liar," Hisoka chuckled, now observing the dead man that was covered in a swarm of Hemotropic Butterflies ready for a feast, "He probably begged you to grant him one final wish, yes?"

"Well, I felt sorry for the guy. Given that he was dead either way," his ally replied as he approached.

Hisoka looked up, the hint of a smile on his features. "You should cease pitying enemies who serve no purpose."

Gitturackur shrugged, casting Hisoka a momentary glance. "You've done it before, haven't you? You've walked away from opponents before finishing them."

"I have standards," the magician replied lightly, his ever-present smirk never once faltering. "I'm not interested in people who have no purpose. I only spare those whose deaths would go to waste. What about his tag?"

"Oh, I already took it," the man responded with ease, looking down at his companion, "I have six points now, so I don't need this one. You can have it." He reached back and pulled an extra tag from somewhere on his person before tossing it to Hisoka.

Hisoka caught the tag and turned it over, revealing the number eighty. "Whose tag is this?" he inquired, not recognizing the number.

"It belonged to some guy who tried to snipe me. He ticked me off, so I killed him. Well then," Gitturackur trailed off, reaching up and pulling one of the many pins from his head. Hisoka turned, watching the change that took place with mild fascination. Gitturackur pulled each pin from his face, the shape of his facial features already beginning to distort when the pressure was released. Once every pin had been drawn out, his face began to drastically change.

"This is always so fascinating to watch," Hisoka remarked.

"It's pretty hard on me..." the man commented, even the sound of his voice now altered. Gitturackur, with his blue mohawk, grayish skin, severely annoying clicking and all was gone, replaced instead by a black-haired man with unnaturally large pitch-black eyes and an expressionless face. "I feel much better."

Hisoka observed the man in silence as he used his bare hands to swiftly dig a hole in the ground before climbing into it, obviously content to stay there.

"Well, I'll just sleep here until the final day. Good luck."

The strange man was just about to disappear underground before Hisoka called out his name.

"Illumi."

"...Yes?"

The magician smiled, toying with the badge he held in his hands. "Have you happened to catch a glimpse of my little fruit?"

The man turned, soulless, empty eyes staring up at the eccentric magician. "Yes – I saw her riding a giant white snake through the forest about a day ago. She had at least three different applicants on her trail."

The magician chuckled, wondering what a sight that would be. "I see, thanks."

The man named Illumi nodded before disappearing into the hole, pushing up dirt from underneath him to create a mound. Once again, there was nothing but silence in the clearing.

Hisoka tossed the badge up and caught it in his hand, doing this repeatedly as he stared off at nothing in particular.

"—Well, I need two more points," the man spoke out to no one in particular as he stood up. Golden hues upturned to regard the full moon that hung in the sky, ghostly rays of moonlight illuminating the glade he was in. Drops of blood glistened in the grass beneath his feet, a horde of night creatures and insects feasting on the body that laid not too far from the magician who now looked off in a new direction. "I suppose I should go hunt someone... Then perhaps I'll get a chance to see this great white snake."

"Hm~ it's a good thing I kept my guard up! The night provides the perfect chance for someone to attack their target, isn't that right?" I inquired, staring down at the man below me. I didn't know the man's name or ID number, but I was able to assume that if he was coming after my six point tag, he had lost his own.

The man standing beneath the tree I currently lounged in was tall, with spiked green hair and dark eyes. He brandished a sword in his right hand, already in a defensive stance, the tip of the blade pointed directly at me in offense.

"You're pretty good you know! You were able to keep up with Eitri and me," I said, commending him with a bright smile. I reached out, my fingers lightly dancing on my pet's shining scales. The great tree we had decided to stay in for the night was ideal for Eitri; its thick trunk and branches were strong enough to support the great snake, who had twisted the twenty feet of her body into fantastic knots and curves, winding herself around the tree.

The man only seemed slightly disturbed by my giant beast, and determination was clear on his features. Considering I was already quite tired, I had no urge to engage in any type of fight, and instead decided to send the man on his way.

"I'm sorry you put in so much effort of chasing us here, but I don't have my tag."

His sword glinted dangerously in the moonlight as he raised it, his dark eyes blazing. "I won't be lied to. If you don't wish to get hurt, hand over the wildcard."

I shook my head, a smile on my face. "It's the truth! I really don't have it anymore. Eitri here swallowed in," I said, patting my snake. We could both see the big swallowing muscles on either side of Eitri's throat ripple and bulge and she let out a menacing hiss at the man below.

"You're free to fight her if you want, but you'll fail. Her scales are hard as steel and can reflect any attack. I personally am just waiting for her to throw the thing up," I told him, settling back comfortably against her midsection that had coiled around the branch behind me.

"Stop messing around! I'm sure you can make that thing give it up!" he yelled, taking a few steps back before he ran at the tree. He sliced the tree at its base, his sword cutting through it like a hot knife through butter, and we began to fall.

'Shit! I forgot these guys are pretty much once in a thousand!'

I knew Eitri wouldn't be quick enough to escape; she'd most likely get pinned beneath the tree. She was already beginning to uncoil her large body from around the branches and trunk, and I was hanging on to her until last minute. I took a leap before the tree came crashing down completely, thanking the heavens such a fall wouldn't hurt or inflict any injury on my pet. It would only make her very, very angry.

I straightened myself up, standing in front of the man now that still had his sword pointed at me.

"Really, that was a very stupid move," I sighed, knowing I'd have to face him until Eitri had freed herself.

"Just give up the tag little girl. I personally don't want to have to fight a child."

I felt my eye twitch at his words, my fist clenching by my side. "I am not a child."

It was a petty thing to get upset over, but it reminded me too much of the Elders in my village when they tried to stop me from leaving the village.

'You're just a child!'

My hair flared around me as I simmered with anger, my gaze narrowed at the man.

"Perhaps we should fight. It's been a while since I've practiced. Gran would be cross with me if she knew how much I've neglected my teachings," I told him, placing a hand on my hip.

By the smirk that curved on his face, he was obviously confident enough in his abilities to take me on. "Bring it on. Don't blame me though if you get killed."

I smiled, reaching out an open hand towards him. "I won't kill you, but you might get hurt; just a warning."

I closed my eyes, my hand slowly beginning to move as I focused my mind and aura on a spot behind the man. A scream ripping through the night broke my concentration, and my eyes flashed open.

"Eitri!" I yelled, my pet having freed herself and attacked the man. She had made quick work of the tree, having crushed it with her strength and slithered out to strike. Eitri's strength lay in her hug, and once she had lapped her huge coils round anybody, there was no more to be said. I sprinted over to where she coiled, suffocating the man who was waving his arms in desperation, having dropped his sword when she struck.

"Eitri, let go of him!" I yelled, climbing on to her massive body and grabbing the man's arm, attempting to pull him out. Eitri hissed menacingly and I shot her a glare, my finger pointed at her. "Do it! I won't let you kill him!"

She lowered her head at my command, her body slowly, almost begrudgingly beginning to uncoil from around the man. Starved for air, once Eitri had unwound herself from him, he took in great breaths, wheezing and gasping as he feebly struggled out of her grip. Eitri slithered off to pout over her lost meal, and I gave a sigh of relief as I pat the man gently on the back.

"That wasn't my initial plan, but I suppose it worked. You probably don't want to fight anymore, do you?" I inquired in concern. He shook his head furiously, on his hands and knees as he continued to take deep breaths to fill his almost crushed lungs. "Thought so; well, better to try again next year then end up dying this year. Good luck," I said before standing up and dusting off my clothes. I looked over at the collapsed tree, sighing. It seems we'd have to find another place to sleep.

"Come Eitri, we're leaving." I called out, ignoring her sulking as I took off walking into the dark forest.

This was going to be a long night...

'I'm tired...'

We had been walking for a while now, attempting to find somewhere clear of other applicants to settle for the night. I had used En, extending it up to a twenty meter radius to detect others in the surrounding area. So far, there seems to be quite a few applicants wandering around this part of the island. Using Jōki to travel would have been easier, but I couldn't leave Eitri by herself.

'I wonder how many applicants are left – no doubt some of them have been killed by now,' I thought as I continued my silent trek through the forest, Eitri slithering along silently besides me. I was wrapped in my own thoughts when something on this part of the island changed, something that disturbed my very soul.

It was unconsciously automatic; ten enveloped me as a wave of emotion passed over me, and yet even with that as protection, I still froze mid-step, a spine-chilling tremor suddenly running through me. I was petrified, all my instincts screaming to flee, but from what? Despite the feelings that had overcome me, there was no one in the immediate surrounding area. And tuning myself in to the bone-chilling sensation, I realized it was akin to Hisoka's bloodlust, although it was on a much higher scale.

I wasn't the only one who felt it; I could hear animals shrieking in the nights, the bushes and trees overhead rustling violently as the animals fled from the predator that gave off such a deadly aura. Eitri hissed in warning, her body suddenly coiled and tense in defense. I could feel their terror in my bones, and I too wanted to run, to flee, but knew that I couldn't. Wrong, shouldn't. Something must have happened for Hisoka to give off such a powerful and negative emotion; although his bloodlust was usually so strong it was nearly palatable, this was different. Even those who had no knowledge of aura or Nen would be able to feel this, it was on such a colossal scale. Something must have happened to have him release such negative energy, and I couldn't just sit around and do nothing about it.

Yet even with such a resolve – I couldn't stop shaking. The hair on both my arms and the back of my neck stood on end; my teeth chattered, my heart pounded painfully against my rib cage – my stomach churned and bile rose in my throat, and I couldn't stop shaking.

'I'm scared – I'm scared...'

Since I had left my village, I had met many people, both good and bad. But never, never had I come upon anyone with such a thirst for blood and malice, whose aura was as dark and horribly frightening as can be.

I was scared.

But – I couldn't just stand around here. If anything, if I stayed here quivering in fright, there was a good chance he might find me first.

"J- Jōki!" I called forth my cloud in a stuttering, weak voice, and was swept into Jōki's folds. No longer having to rely on my legs to hold me up, I nearly curled into a ball on the cloud, taking a moment to try and quell the fear that stuck to me like a blood-sucking leech. I sucked in a deep breath, feeling the tension in my body as my ribs expanded, and then let it go with a massive exhale, sending my fear with it.

I finally got myself under control and sat up, the wheels in my mind beginning to turn.

'With his aura like this, it's crucial that I use ten. But if I'm to approach him, if I'm not using zetsu he'll sense me close by. And in the state he's in that's the last thing I want – so it seems I only have one choice.'

"Eitri, wait here for me. Jōki – take us above the trees," I commanded. We began to slowly rise, and as we did I slowly initiated zetsu, erasing my presence for anyone who could sense it. But even if they couldn't sense me – my flaming red hair was illuminated by the light of the moon.

"Jōki, we need to get higher – at least out of range of anyone who tries to shoot us down," I murmured, and we rose even more. Ghostly rays of moonlight filtered down through the canopy and illuminated the land below, and I could see most of the surrounding land from this height. I could hear the deafening shriek of the animals that continued to flee even all the way up here, and I directed Jōki to the area they fled from.

I once again became anxious and tense as Hisoka's bloodlust washed over me, and the very sight of him made my blood freeze in my veins. Hisoka's very presence so close at this moment sent shivers up and down my spine; I hated it, the feeling of being so weak, so helpless. I covered my mouth, muffling the unconscious whimpers that threatened to escape me. I was shaking again as I looked down at the magician, his frightening visage that of a demon.

He did not act out, but stood in absolute silence at the base of a tree, his eyes nearly rolling back as his face was upturned towards the dark sky. The aura that surrounded him was dark and murky, tendrils of it reaching out for any living thing left in the area. We drew warily closer, and I could see the tautness of his muscles in his face and neck, as if his entire body was coiled and tense, almost like Eitri before her transformation; a serpent ready to strike.

Right now, he looked more wicked and dangerous then I had ever seen, and I knew right away that I couldn't – wouldn't get close to him. There was nothing I could do to calm such bloodlust, besides offering up my life, and that wasn't something I would ever do, at least willingly. But what could I do?

I gnawed on my lower lip in frustration, wondering if I should do anything at all. As long as he wasn't after my head, was it really my place to interfere? This was an exam where people lost their lives – if Hisoka came upon some unfortunate bloke and killed him, that really wasn't any of my business. And this wasn't about me being afraid and running away and refusing to protect people – everyone knew what the risks were entering the exam; we were even warned before the exam started. So no, it wasn't my place to intervene, and I would take myself somewhere far, far away from him. All I had to do was lay low for the remainder of this phase and I would be able to proceed to the next one, but that was only if I could stay out of harm's way.

'Although...' I trailed off in thought, still looking down at the magician below. 'Wouldn't it be best – if I could keep tabs on him? That way I'll know if he gets too close.'

I gave a decisive nod of my head, deicing that would be the best course of action. I would just have to be careful – if he caught wind of me, even flying through the skies I don't think I'd be able to evade him.

"Well then..." I murmured, reaching up and plucking a single strand of hair from my head. I winced as I pulled it out, the minuscule pain quickly disappearing as I stretched out the crimson strand before me. I took a deep breath, opening and focusing my mind on the strand I held delicately between my fingers, and my target below.

Connection.

One end of the strand shot out towards my target, the other end knotting itself at the base of my little finger. As soon as I felt the connection link I let my aura surge into Jōki and we began to quickly rise, my mind now on getting as far away from Hisoka as possible. We were soon above the cloud cover, yet even then I didn't feel at ease. With the connection, I was closer to Hisoka than I had ever been before, and I could feel everything. My consciousness was opened and bared to the link, and I could feel with every piece of me that there was a sadistic bloodlust within, something inherently terrifying. Hisoka was usually unsettling and terrifying to be around, but now – there was no denying that he was completely, undeniably deadly.

A/N:

Connection

· Emission / Transmutation

· A technique that acts as a tracking and monitoring ability. A link is formed between the Nen user and "target". The link is a thread of the user's hair; one end of the strand is tied to the base of their little finger while the other end attaches to the target. With the use of Connection, character is able to tell how close a target is, and is able to mentally reach out and "touch" each thread, enabling them to feel powerful waves of emotion and aura that emit from the other side of the link. Character uses In to conceal the threads, but personally does not have to use Gyo to be able to see the threads themselves. Character's consciousness must be opened to each individual target, thus rendering them a bit defenseless to any overwhelming emotions from the target, especially if they are directed at the character themselves.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 29.8K 15
[18+] [COMPLETED*] Hisoka x Reader During a hiatus from the chaotic life of a hunter, an old flame pops back into your life with a deadly proposa...
355K 11.7K 63
"A Morrow?" Another life Another friend Another Morrow And another meme. An 11 year old independent girl who has an ability to understand and communi...
121K 4.3K 47
Her name was Liz and she was classified as a monster despite both her and her parents never harming a fly, even when it ment in self defense. This co...
3.3K 116 9
In which a young man sets out to find adventure and meaning in himself, but steals a few hearts instead. | ↳ or- In which a young man wants nothing...