Firebomb (The Jewel Project #...

By Wimbug

"Why is it always 'why' with you? Grow up already! Not all people are alike. You're good, I'm evil, you're na... More

Author's note
Family Tree
01.2|| Madness
02.1|| The Babysitter
02.2|| The Babysitter
03.1|| The Call
03.2|| The Call
04|| Magnet Town
05.1|| Company
05.2|| Company
05.3|| Company
06.1|| Rapid Swirl
06.2|| Rapid swirl
07.1|| Childhood Friends
07.2|| Childhood Friends
08.1|| Monsters
08.2|| Monsters
09.1|| The Agent
09.2|| The Agent
09.3|| The Agent
10|| The Great Escape
11.1|| Breaking Point
11.2|| Breaking Point
12|| Childhood enemies
13.1|| Pueblo
13.2|| Pueblo
14.1|| At the Gates
14.2|| At the Gates
15|| Pink and Purple
16.1|| I spy
16.2|| I Spy
17.1|| The man behind the suit
17.2|| The man behind the suit
18.1|| A Failed Attempt
18.2|| A Failed Attempt
18.3|| A Failed Attempt
19.1|| Undercover
19.2 || Undercover
20.1|| Firebomb
20.2|| Firebomb
21|| The Death of Sam Grant
22.1|| Caverns of stone
22.2|| Caverns of Stone
23.1|| Into the Void
23.2|| Into the Void
24.1|| Falling
24.2|| Falling
Unraveling the cover

01.1|| Madness

2.4K 225 545
By Wimbug

Firebomb

Jewel Series #2

And through all the confusion, the struggle, he was like a firebomb, lighting up the night, destroying everything she used to know and creating something new and wonderful, something worth fighting for.

Chapter One

Madness

Chicago: present day

'Young adventurers get hold of legendary jewel'

'Team lead by eighteen-year-old Sam Grant braves the jungles of Yucatan.'

It's been less than two weeks since Chicago's own Sam Grant and his brothers returned from a grueling adventure in the jungles of Mexico with an enormous ruby.

The result of a month-long expedition, the ruby now rests at the Chicago Museum of Natural History to be admired for the following week until it will be shipped off to tour the world.

Who?

Sam Grant is the son of Freider and Maximilliane Grant, wealthy residents of Chicago who mostly keep to themselves. A straight A student at the prestigious 'Xavier Race' high school, Sam was selected to be part of an expedition to bring archaeology back into the spotlight, expedition led by Professor Gerald Palmer of CU.

The details of the expedition remain uncertain for now, but there is nothing uncertain about the bruises, cuts and bandages covering the team of youngsters. Retrieving the ruby was certainly not a walk in the park.

The Grant team

Most of the team is surprisingly made up of Sam's family: his brothers Kyle, Jerry, Jimmy and Tom Grant and cousin Billy Grant.

Kyle Grant (21) is a cadet at Chicago's Police Academy and also a student at the State University, majoring in computer studies.

Jerry Grant (19) will be starting his Science major at the State University in the fall.

Drama in the Grant family

Who are Tom and Jimmy Grant? It has been a complete surprise to everyone who knew the Grants to learn that Sam and Jerry have twin brothers. Tom – who is Sam's twin – and Jimmy – Jerry's twin – have returned home. Why they'd been lost for so long or how they were found remain a mystery as well as their life prior to returning to their family.

Other members of the team

Professor Gerard Palmer also recruited his daughters, Christine (18) and Tina (21), Katherine Dickens (20), Angela Jones (17), Harry James (18), and heiress and pop sensation from California, Jessica Stefáni (18).

Romance in the jungle

During their adventure, Sam and gorgeous Christine got together. Their public display of affection has been interpreted by specialists to mean that there is a definite flame between the two.

Christine's father confirms, though with a deep scowl, that her daughter and Sam are dating.

To extend the alliance between the two families, Tina and Jerry are supposedly dating as well. If there is something between the rest of Sam's brothers and the other girls on the team, only time and the pictures of the paparazzi will tell.

"Why are you reading that crap?" Sam mumbled. He fumbled inside the wooden box, trying to find more files starting with a B.

Christine put the paper aside and picked up a tabloid. "It's the first time my name's in the press. I want to read what they say. It's all pretty flattering so far."

Sam groaned and picked up another box from under the desk. He'd barely pulled himself together and his internship at his father's PI agency had started. He'd know this was coming, it had been the silent deal between him and Freider that had allowed him to go to Mexico in the first place, but he'd hoped his dad would take pity on him and give him time to rest. No such luck.

At least life was slowly returning to normal. Ignoring the special training sessions they were now undergoing. And the bloody press who just wouldn't shut up about it already.

"Oh my." Christine covered her mouth with one hand. "Check this one out. Handsome, young, rich adventurer Sam Grant breaks up with his girlfriend, Christine Palmer. God, I must've missed you breaking up with me." Christine's amber eyes scanned the rest of the article and she frowned. "It says here I threw your stuff out and everything. But we don't live together. You've never even come to visit. Who on earth sent them this story?"

Sam stopped arranging files, a small knot in his stomach. "I did."

Christine blinked. "You did."

"Yeah. Dad's been giving me hell ever since he found out we were going out. I was hoping this would get him off my back. Unfortunately, he might be on to me." He indicated towards the massive pile of boxes he still had to rearrange.

Instead of giving him a schedule, Freider gave him daily tasks. He was free to go if he completed them. There was insanely loads to do every day and Sam suspected it was a tactic to eat up all the time he could be spending with Christine. Fortunately, he hadn't predicted Christine coming over.

"What's his problem?" Christine put the paper aside. "Doesn't he like me?"

Sam sighed. "It's not you. It could have been any other girl. He's just weird like that. And I can't say you're doing much better," he mumbled. The professor seemed to hate him as much as his dad hated the idea of Christine. Normality was obviously not meant for him.

Christine waved her hand airily. "Dad's not a problem. He barks but doesn't bite."

Sam nodded and pulled up another box. He didn't want to discuss families yet. It wasn't like they were getting married. It was the beginning of the relationship and he wanted to see how it would go.

Christine returned to flicking through the tabloid and her perfect eyebrows moved closer towards each other with each page. "You shouldn't complain. Kyle's getting a lot worse than you. They've apparently hooked him up with some aspiring actress and..." Christine smiled bitterly. "Jessie."

Sam dropped the folder he was holding and snatched the tabloid out of her hand. "They hooked Kyle up with Jessie?" How could the world not see the perfection that was Kyle and Kay together?

Christine giggled. "See. At least they hook you up with the right person."

"Forget this." Sam threw the tabloid off the desk. "If we take them seriously, we'll go nuts." Though, he could picture Kyle and Jessie laughing their heads off at the news.

Jimmy came in, but stopped seeing Sam almost buried under the tone of files. "Aren't you done yet? We've got training in half an hour."

"See for yourself." Sam indicated the mounting pile of boxes. "I'm paying for my little adventure big time."

Jimmy frowned as his eyes took in the room. "Is it just me or is there too much furniture in this office?"

Christine giggled and bent over to pick up the tabloid.

The door opened again and Harry barged in, a huge grin on his face. "Ready to have your butt handed to you, Sam?"

Sam watched him through half-closed lids. "What makes you think you stand a chance against me in hand-to-hand combat?"

"I have lower grades in school." Harry shrugged. "It's a law of nature that the smarter you are, the lousier you are at fighting."

Sam's eyes shot to Jimmy who watched Harry with an amused air. Jimmy could kick both their butts at the same time and he was also the mechanical genius of the group.

"We should go," Jimmy said, already heading towards the door.

Sam shoved the last box under the desk. When he raised his head, he noticed the hostile glances Christine and Harry were throwing each other. "What's the deal with you two? Don't you like each other?"

"I thought you broke up with her," Harry said, not taking his eyes off Christine.

"See," Christine said in an acid tone. "There are people stupid enough to believe that story."

"No, I didn't break up with her. You didn't answer my question."

"Oh, no, Christine's cool, I guess." Harry avoided Sam's eyes, his voice highly unconvincing.

Sam squinted at him then turned to her. "Christine?"

"We don't know each other, that's all. We'll get along just fine." Christine said the last word between her teeth as though warning Harry he'd best not disagree.

"Yes, maybe," Harry mumbled. "She's just such a girl. I always pictured you with..." He didn't finish, but he didn't have to. Apparently Harry had always thought Sam and Lisa would end up together. Just like Sam had always thought Harry and Lisa would end up together.

Sam was touched by Harry's loyalty towards their best friend, but he didn't have to take it out on Christine. A knot formed in his chest. He should call Lisa, but she was backpacking through Europe for the summer and he wasn't sure he wanted to ruin her mood.

*

Maxi finished arranging the laundry in her closet and pulled back to admire her work. She had way too many clothes. She picked up the basket and headed out of the room and down the stairs, to return it to its rightful place in the basement.

As soon as she reached the landing, piano music reached her ears. She stopped in her tracks. The song wasn't familiar and no one in that house could play piano. She used to, but it hadn't happened in so many years, she was unsure she still had the skill.

The music stopped.

"What?" Jimmy's voice carried up to Maxi.

"Why did you stop? That was amazing!" Jessie's voice.

Maxi started down the stairs quietly, clutching the laundry basket.

"It's amazing because you're really good at writing music. I'm starting to feel sorry you missed your concert."

Maxi reached the bottom step and looked towards the grand piano placed in the corner of the living room. Jimmy and Jessie both sat on the bench, his hands still resting on the keyboard.

For a second Maxi couldn't help but take in her son's face. She couldn't believe how much he looked like Jerry. The same jet black, messy hair and dark brown eyes. The only difference between them was their built. Jimmy was slightly better built than his twin brother, but skinnier. Maxi didn't even want to start to imagine what the poor kid had been through.

She knew they should have a talk, all of them, find out more about each other, but it was so much easier to pretend everything was normal. Or at least as normal as things could be in her messed up family.

Next to him, Jessie was an orange-curly-haired, green-eyed beauty. They looked so at home sitting next to each other, Maxi felt disappointed there wasn't something more serious between them.

"Don't flatter me." Jessie slapped his shoulder lightly. "And don't worry about the concert. You saw the papers. I'm already a singing sensation."

Jimmy turned to her and mounted the bench. "Do you really have to go?"

She hung her head. "Yes. I have to get my paperwork. How else would I move here?"

"I'm afraid your parents won't let you slip away this time."

Even if Jimmy's voice was low, Maxi heard every word. Her hands clasped so hard on the laundry basket, her knuckles turned white. Jessie was a fugitive? And was it just her, or was she getting her wish? Her son and Jessie seemed much more than friends.

Jessie smirked. "I'll figure out a way to come back. No matter what happens. You think I'd let them keep me away from you? These past weeks have been the happiest of my life."

"Tell me about it." Jimmy pulled closer to her and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Look where I ended up. My parents are great, I live in a huge house..." He leaned over and whispered something to her. In response, she cupped his face and kissed him.

Maxi dropped the laundry basket in surprise. Jimmy and Jessie broke apart and looked towards her. Jimmy's eyes widened and he jumped off the bench. Jessie turned to face Maxi and hung her head.

"Are you alright, Mrs. ...Mom?" Jimmy picked up the fallen basket and passed it to her, biting his lip.

Shaking away the surprise, Maxi yanked the basket out of his hands. "You listen to me, Jimmy Grant. If you call me Mrs. one more time, I'll thump you over the head. I am your mother. And this." She pointed to Jessie who was shuffling her feet. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"After the lecture Dad gave Sam and the rest of us, for that matter, I didn't want to disappoin—" He broke off and turned to Jessie. "The thing is, no matter what, I'm not breaking up with Jessie."

"You silly boy. No one wants you to break up with Jessie." Maxi shook her head, her muscles tensing with anger. "If your father is a troll, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have told me."

"Oh." Jimmy scratched the back of his head. "Now you know."

"I hope you're okay with it." Jessie stood and walked over. She wrapped her arm around Jimmy's waist as though to show she didn't much care for the answer.

Maxi stared at her. She liked Jessie's attitude. Freider wouldn't be able to intimidate her. "Of course I'm okay with it. I'm more than okay. I'm thrilled." She dropped the basket and gave them both a hug. "You make such a lovely couple."

The front door opened and Maxi pulled back and checked her watch. It was too early for Freider to be back from work. Jimmy and Jessie stepped away from each other, but relaxed and moved back once Tom and Angie entered the living room. Holding hands.

Maxi shook her head rapidly, staring at them.

"Hi, Mom," Tom said joyfully.

"You two?" Maxi pointed from him to Angie. Why did she feel as if it made perfect sense?

"What about us?" Tom asked.

"You're together."

Angie blushed, but Tom only shrugged as though he didn't see what the big deal was.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Maxi demanded.

"You didn't ask." Tom picked up the basket off the floor. "I'll take this down. You guys up for a walk in the park afterwards?" He nodded towards Jessie and Jimmy.

"Yeah, sure," Jessie answered. "We'll wait outside."

"Bye, Mom. Come on, Angie." Jimmy pushed Angie towards the door. She snapped at him and all three of them started bickering on the way out like good, old friends.

Maxi remained rooted to the spot, staring towards the door. This was good. Shocking, but good. Her children were happy. Truly happy. One thought keep spinning inside her head. Were Kyle and Kay together, too? She'd wished they were ever since she saw Kay. She and Kyle looked perfect for each other. But she didn't dare dwell on the fantasy. She'd be too disappointed if it turned out not to be real.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

468 0 41
HINT: read the first two books in the series to understand the full story "The world as we know it is falling apart around us. That's why I'm holding...
42.3K 4.7K 64
"This is it. The curtain call. Where we go from here is entirely your choice. Funny how we're right back where we started." It has been four years si...
309K 24.5K 73
[FREE STORY with paid bonus content] "Life is a series of choices, kiddo. You either choose to trust me or you don't." Sam Grant had always wanted t...
604K 13.3K 51
completed (: "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Four months ago Sam Clarke's life turned upside...