The Moonlight Boy | Ferry's T...

By angelapoppe

* The Fiction Awards 2020 Winner * In Goodharts, the small town beyond the hills, nobody knows how Ferry Dono... More

Such an unusual child
The name
One peculiar boy
The encounter
Hag of the mist
Hoity Toity
The raven's stone
The Fires of the Hills (part one)
The Fires of the Hills (part two)
A fairy's gift
Mr. Pancake's magic show (part one)
Mr. Pancake's magic show (part two)
The veiled lady
The forgotten garden
Whispers in the wind
Behind the veil (part one)
Behind the veil (part two)
A fairy's love
The creatures named fairies
A song in the night
The time of the shadows (part one)
The time of the shadows (part two)
A familiar stranger
Visitors
Late night gathering
Signs (part one)
Signs (part two)
An unexpected discovery
The vanishing of Danny Stevens
What Billy saw
Operation VDS
Detective work
Echoes from the past (part one)
Echoes from the past (part two)
The second gift
The calling
The departure
A door to the unknown
Land of the Unseen
A fairy's trap
Oona's game
The little friend
The breakup
Alone
Old friends
The plan
Closer
Shelter of secrets (part one)
Shelter of secrets (part two)
Shattered plans
Into the darkness (part one)
Into the darkness (part two)
The talk
The Moon's Tear
The Fountain of Truth
Dance of the Moon
A fairy's tale
The wall
The Spear of Justice
CLAP!
Home
The fairy sister
The lost child
The Oath

There's a shift in the air

25K 1.9K 624
By angelapoppe

"I knew it! I knew Billy cheated at the bike race! I'm sure he used the feathers to win the race. I told you they were charmed," said Matilda jumping in one leg with excitement. They were heading towards the playground, followed by Sage. Or Shadow, as Matilda had named her so-called dog.

"Yeah, I think the same way," Ferry mumbled.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's tell everyone about him cheating. Where are the feathers? Can I see them?" she asked, her eyes glittering with curiosity.

Ferry wriggled, "Actually, no... I didn't take them..."

Matilda's good mood vanished "What?!! What do you mean? Why didn't you take them?!!"

"Because I'm not a thief, Matt! I might be anything, but not a thief. I would have been the main suspect if those feathers had gone. Besides, I made a deal with Billy ─ the feathers in return of not bothering Ben ever again. And so far, he kept his promise."

Matilda's face turned so red, Ferry thought smoke would come out her ears. "I can't believe you were so dumb!" she shouted. "How am I ever going to prove I won the race?"

"What else could I do, Matt? Billy would have eventually realized I took them. That's why I left the key there, too."

"YOU DID WHAT?" The redness in her cheeks went all the way up to her ears. "Now we'll never prove he cheated!"

Ferry didn't answer. It was better for him to stay quiet until Matilda calmed down.

"At least now we know that the veiled lady is a witch. How else would you explain her magical feathers? I don't even want to imagine what Billy could use those feathers for," she said after calming down. "By the way, did you finish your project?"

Ferry nodded.

"Really?" she said, a bit surprised. "And what is your project about?"

"Just wait and see," smiled Ferry, meaningfully.

Indeed, the next day, everybody was anxious to see which project was to win the prize. And because the weather was fine, Miss Summer decided to have the lessons in the schoolyard, under an old oak tree. Outside, the children were paying more attention, and the classes were suddenly more interesting under the protective shadow of the tree through the branches of which the sun was sneaking to play on their faces.

Miss Summer called each team to come in front of the class to present their project.

Matilda and Danny brought a pillow in which they stuck some sticks with fabrics on top representing trees of cotton candy and bushes of ice cream. Among the trees, there was a small bicycle made out of thin wires; that was Matilda's representation of summer.

Ben had barely convinced Cecilia to let him put his cardboard UFO on her board which represented the night, starry sky, with a full moon watching from above. To Cecilia, the summer meant warm nights when she could watch the sky for hours. And funny enough, watching the night sky was also Ben's favorite occupation.

May brought a delicate decoration of flowers where she wreathed the most beautiful, perfumed, and rare summer flowers. Paper bees could be seen among the flowers because the parents of Amelia Tray, May's partner, were beekeepers during summer.

When Ferry and Billy's turn came, they brought their mock-up covered in linen. When they removed it, a murmur of amazement filled up the air under the old oak tree. The mock-up represented the hills of the town. They were madeout of green velvet. Above them, cotton clouds, hanging on thin ropes, were suspended on a wooden holder.

But what really drew everybody's attention was a small wood figurine representing a boy with blond hair. Billy pulled a certain rope and the little boy began to run from the hill's top so that later to spread his arms and fly. His arms were actually amazing butterfly wings, made of the finest fabrics. The figurine flew above the hills, hanging from a rope, almost invisible. The illusion was so wonderful, that all the children clapped their hands, amazed and enthusiastic.

"Well, I think we have a winner," Miss Summer said, smiling. "Congratulations, boys! It looks like you're making a good team," she added.

"I think it's the first and last time when that happens," Billy mumbled.

But Miss Summer heard him. "Don't talk like that, Billy. You would be surprised to see how much you have in common with the other children. In fact, that was the purpose of this assignment. To help you know each other better, beyond the time you spend together at school," she added. "Now come and get your prize. You are going to love the books I've prepared for you."

"Actually, let Ferry have them all," Billy said in a low voice. "My father has a huge library, I'm sure I could find some of those books there."

"All right, if that's what you wish..." said Miss Summer, shrugging. "Congratulations, Ferry!" And she put a whole pile of books in Ferry's arms, making him wonder when he would read them all.

That day was to remain in Ferry's mind forever. Not because he had won. Or because Billy had called him by his first name for the first time. But because it was to be the last serene, calm day before the storm. The storm that was to shake the whole town.

Summer came. The real summer, with hot, long days which could hardly be chased away by the shadow of the night. The nights were warm and starry and the children were barely budging home, happy that playing lasted for hours, even when the night was slowly falling over the town. And the parents were losing their voices because of calling them again, and again to come to dinner.

But the more summer was claiming its rights, the more pressure came over the town, like a dark premonition telling something bad was to happen. So the parents' advice telling the children over and over again to stay away from the forest was even more insistent.

The first change came with Miss Summer. For some time, she looked tired and preoccupied. Dark circles surrounded her eyes. She didn't smile anymore and her presence was not that bright. Her clothes were looking slipshod, her hair uncombed and ruffled as if a cat had played in it with a ball.

In class, she was absent-minded. She tried to explain something, then she suddenly stopped, staring at something only her mind could see. During the recreations, she was humming a song, again and again, while watching through the window. A song nobody understood; a song that was strangely familiar to Ferry.

Almost all the time, she was nervous, arguing with everybody. Miss Summer who never raised her voice at anyone.

One day, Ferry heard her arguing with Mr. Bell, the school headmaster. They raised their voices, so Ferry could hear every single word, even with the door closed.

"I don't understand why," she said. "I'm sure a trip to the hills would be more than welcome for the children."

"Because the parents would never agree," Mr. Bell replied. "Something wrong might happen."

"What could possibly happen?" she shouted. "Tell me! I'm sick and tired of all the mysteries in this town!"

"We wouldn't want something bad to happen to the children. Especially now... And I certainly won't allow you to take them near the forest!" Mr. Bell reinforced his words.

"Oh, yes, the forest," Miss Summer sighed. "That forest again. Everything I've heard about was only the ineptitude of small minds. You can't possibly believe that!"

"No... Of course not," Mr. Bell said, not sure of his own words. "But some parents do. And their fear must be taken into consideration."

Miss Summer laughed— a burst of nervous laughter that didn't seem like hers.

"What could ever happen in the forest? The big, bad wolf might come out and eat us all alive? Please! Look, if that makes you feel better, we'll stay away from the forest."

Mr. Bell gave it a thought, "Fine! You talked my head off about this trip. But if something happens to a single child, you will pay with your job!" he threatened.

Miss Summer came out, slamming the door behind her. She didn't even see Ferry when she passed by him like a storm. She looked like she was in a hurry. Ferry followed her closely. Miss Summer went down the school's basement, to the detention room. The room was empty. Yet still, an eerie presence could be felt, lurking. Ferry could sense a cold, threatening breath in the back of his neck. The milky light in the room was not enough to lighten all the dark corners from where unseen eyes could watch unbothered. Ferry saw Miss Summer looking for something in a box. She was humming the same song Ferry was certain he had heard somewhere, some other time.

He came closer to her and put his gloved hand on her shoulder.

Miss Summer throbbed violently as if his hand would have burnt her. "Mind your own business, Ferry boy!" she hissed in a voice that wasn't hers. Then she turned to whatever she was doing as if he wasn't even there.

"Don't you think Miss Summer behaves strangely?" Ben asked on the way home.

"Yeah, she sure does. Really strangely. Like she isn't herself..." Matilda admitted.

Ferry couldn't agree more. Miss Summer didn't seem like herself anymore.

"But I'm still going on the trip. It'll be fun," Matilda said.

"As long as we stay away from the forest," Ben ruined her good mood. "My mum is a little worried about that..."

"Oh, please," Matilda snapped, "my dad says those disappearances had nothing to do with the forest," she said in a low voice.

The boys turned quiet. They knew what Matilda was talking about. The last person who disappeared around that forest was her mother.

Nevertheless, the people in town were worried. They didn't want anything bad to happen, yet they were waiting for it to happen. And if someone was to vanish, they prayed not to be one of their close ones.

Even Ferry's parents were worried. He heard them talking one morning, at breakfast.

"Maybe this year won't happen," his mother said in a trembling voice. "It's been seven years since Melinda Harper disappeared."

"We can't stay calm yet," Ferry's father muttered under his mustache. "Until the summer solstice, we can't say the danger is over. There are a lot of strange things happening in this town, this time of the year."

"Do you think it's wise to let Ferry go on that trip?" his mother asked.

"I've heard Mr. Pride allowed his son to go. As long as they stay away from that forest, nothing bad could happen. Miss Summer promised."

But with all Miss Summer's promises, there were still some parents who wouldn't let their children go. So on the day of the trip, more than half of the class wasn't coming.

Yet, oddly enough, that day seemed different from the last ones. It looked like a perfect day for a trip. The morning was chilly, yet refreshing; a thin fog was slowly lifting, leaving glittering sparks behind which slowly vanished as the sun went up in the sky.

The children gathered in front of the school waiting for Miss Summer. Ferry was happy because all his friends were there. Even May. Billy and Danny Stevens were also there, and they were laughing and making stupid jokes every time Ferry talked to May. Luckily, none of children took them seriously.

When their teacher finally arrived, the children were happy to see the old Miss Summer back as radiant and warm as before. She turned a bit sad seeing how few they were. But when she read the excitement on their faces, the sadness faded away.

"Let's go, children! Let's not waste any more time and enjoy this beautiful day."

They headed towards the eastern hills, where the sun was generous at that time of the day. Miss Summer told them a story about the hills, that they were once inhabited by elves and fairies who sometimes came out and showed themselves to people. The children listened with their eyes wide open with curiosity. Except for Billy and Danny who constantly sniff and made comments, even in front of Miss Summer. It was obvious that they were up to no good. But she didn't mind and her students couldn't be happier. Miss Summer was back.

They wandered the whole day on the hills near the town. Miss Summer showed them plants, flowers, and trees, and told them something interesting about each one of them. Without knowing, they realized they came dangerously close to the forest. How had that happened? And when? They were all amazed, and Miss Summer was the most amazed of all.

"Be careful," she said, slightly worried, "under no circumstances you are allowed to get near the forest! Did you hear me? Whoever disobeys will be severely punished!"

The children nodded.

Then, they seemed to forget where they were and they picked up flowers for the class' herbarium. Ferry found the most beautiful, rarest flowers. Then he gave them to May who was placing them between the pages of a thick notebook. Ferry took off his gloves for such a delicate task, as he was always doing each time May was around.

"Come on, children! It's picnic time," Miss Summer announced. The day was almost over and the sun was ready to set, turning the sky into a sea of fire.

The children took out small blankets and put them on the soft grass. Then, they took out of the backpacks sandwiches and fruits and put them all on plates, as well as tea, juice, and water in their thermoses. It was a great joy to eat together. Somehow, other children's food always tasted better.

After the picnic was over, some children stretched out on the grass to watch the wandering clouds, gently floating in the endless sky. Others played the ball, shouting and laughing. As always, Matilda turned out to be a great player. Ferry was happy, lying on the grass, between Ben and May. Ben was also watching the clouds, convinced that alien ships could easily use the clouds as camouflage. While May was imagining the most unusual animals, changing their shape so fast on the perfect blue sky.

A giggle woke Ferry up from the sweet surrender he had fallen into. He jumped on his feet, listening. Maybe it was one of his classmates playing.

"Ferry, what's wrong?" asked May, slightly worried.

"Nothing," he said. "I just thought I heard─"

And then, he heard the giggle again. It came from the forest. A giggle he heard some other time, without knowing where or when. He was now scanning the forest.

Then the strangest thing happened. He couldn't tell what it was. It felt like a shift in the air. Everything around turned static as petrified. No bird twitting. No wind blowing. The children's voices sounded somehow clogged up and echoless. A feeling of uneasiness came upon him. He wasn't the only one who felt that—the other children also stopped playing and shouting, without really knowing why.

Ferry had a bad feeling. He headed towards the edge of the wood; the forest was standing still in front of him as if he looked at a painting. He couldn't even hear the branches under his feet. It was all incredibly still and quiet.

"Ferry, come back!" he heard May shouting behind. He stopped. Miss Summer was coming towards him, shouting something. He couldn't understand what. Her voice felt distorted and coming from afar.

"Ferry, where are you going?" she asked when she reached him.

"Miss Summer, we have to go," he said, barely breathing. "I heard a howl coming from the forest. Maybe it's a wild animal..."

Miss Summer didn't wait to be told twice. She called out the children to pack their things and prepare for leaving. Then she counted them. Two of them were missing—Billy and Danny.

To her relief, she saw Billy coming out of the forest. But he didn't look like himself, he was pale and shaking. He could barely walk.

"Billy, where's Danny?" she asked, increasingly worried.

Billy didn't answer. He just stared and trembled. Miss Summer had to shake him to make him react.

"Where is Danny, Billy?" she shouted.

"I don't─ I don't know..." he mumbled. He looked scared. Truly scared. May gave him to drink some water from her thermos and Billy seemed as if coming to his senses a bit.

"Don't move! Stay together!" Miss Summer told them, heading towards the forest.

She called Danny's name, over and over again. They could all read the worry in her voice. "Danny! Danny, come out! This is not funny. Come out and I promise I won't be mad at you," she shouted, her voice fading away amongst the petrified trees.

The children saw her looking for Danny at the edge of the forest, wandering around like a disoriented person. They all started to call Danny, louder and louder. Again and again. But no answer came from the forest.

After a while, Miss Summer came out of the forest. She had tears in her eyes and she was shivering.

"I can't find him," she whispered. "He's gone! He's just gone..."

The children were all terrified now. Some of them cried. May took Ferry by the hand and held him tight. They were ceaselessly watching the forest, hoping that Danny would come out, laughing and telling it was all a joke.

But Danny didn't show up.

"DANNYYY!!!" they could hear Miss Summer's hopeless shout breaking the heavy silence around.

That instant, everything turned to normal. The wind started to gently blow, bringing along the first shadows of the night. The night birds began to sing their strange, oblong songs, and the crickets began their shrill chirp. As if nothing had happened.

Yet, the rustling trees were talking to the children in unknown whispers. As if trying to tell them something they couldn't understand. Something about a chubby, funny little boy who ventured too deep into the forest without knowing he might never come back...

Author's note:

I've been askedpretty often when this story takes place. As you can see from the first photo above, it's the 1950's. So now you know it. I have chosen that particular era because it was a modern one, yet not very close to our time since I didn't want high tech, gadgets, and modern devices to interfere with the fairytale aura of the story. Nevertheless, don't think about that era as a typical 1950 period, with rock n roll music, fancy outfits, and cars. Keep in mind that Goodharts is a secretive, conservatory community that wanted to keep things the old fashioned way, for reasons that will be later revealed.

So what do you think? This story has reached the highest point so far. Let me hear your thoughts!

PS: the picture of Ferry's class was of a great help at the beginning of this story. The little's boys face on the right side of the picture is hidden for a reason. He's supposed to be Ferry and I wanted you to imagine him differently from that little boy.

And I also have a little question for you: can you guess the main characters of this story from that picture? Can't wait to see what you think!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4K 453 14
A school trip goes wrong when a class gets lost in the woods and stumbles upon a strange "family" living deep within them. ___________________ 2023 I...
600K 27.9K 53
Eighteen-year-old Sean Brooks comes from a long line of witches. But unfortunately, he doesn't have a spell that can help him with relationships. Whe...
29.6K 2.9K 28
*Wattys Winner 2022* Charles Abbot is finally living the life he has always dreamed of. At only 25, he has managed to turn his unique magical abilit...
12.6K 462 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...