For the Love of the Law

By Purplepaises1

----| "What are you going to do? Arrest me again?" I challenged him, watching as his icy blue eyes flashed wi... More

Prologue
Chapter One | You Look Like A Reece
Chapter Two | I'm A Sweet Tooth Kind Of Guy
Chapter Three | Door Knockers Are Always the Better Catches
Chapter Four | Playing Detective
Chapter Five | Diner Discussions
Chapter Six | I Think I've Got The Right One
Chapter Seven | Officer Fucking Flynn
Chapter Eight | Supermarket Stalking
Chapter Nine | House Call
Chapter Ten | Hot Greetings
Chapter Eleven | So...friends?
Chapter Twelve | Mr. Emotionless
Chapter Thirteen | You Can't Just Pay For My Groceries
Chapter Fourteen | The Reveal
Chapter Fifteen | Stranger Beginnings
Chapter Sixteen | Can You Come Clean My Apartment?
Chapter Seventeen | Just Use Protection
Chapter Eighteen | Just Like The Movies
Chapter Nineteen | Definition Of Awkward = My Life
Chapter Twenty | Time To Be Cool
Chapter Twenty Two | Storm
Chapter Twenty Three | Uncle Stan Knows
Chapter Twenty Four | Fight Club
Chapter Twenty Five | Gotta Love Family
Chapter Twenty Six | My Heart Was Playing Pinball With All My Other Organs
Chapter Twenty Seven | I Think That's A Big Fucking Diamond
Chapter Twenty Eight | We're Just Right, Together
Chapter Twenty Nine | Here's To Us And Our Shitty Mums
Chapter Thirty | Dinner Confessions
Chapter Thirty One | Up Shit Creek Without A Paddle
Chapter Thirty Two | Your Stuff Is My Stuff
Chapter Thirty Three | Kitchen Counter
Chapter Thirty Four | Police Visit
Chapter Thirty Five | I'd Believe In You
Chapter Thirty Six | Make You Choose
Chapter Thirty Seven | This Isn't A Good Time
Chapter Thirty Eight | Absolutely Fucking Bonkers Crazy
Chapter Thirty Nine | We Must Be The Pedophile And The Rugrat
Chapter Forty | Your Style
Epilogue | My Idea Of Perfection

Chapter Twenty One | When It Comes To Underwear, I'm Ambidextrous

9.8K 270 23
By Purplepaises1

Marley's POV

The minute I walked into the cafe, I knew something was different.

Not off, as such, just...different. Like the room was more energized, excited. I wasn't entirely too sure what to think about it because my stomach was kind of leading my train of thoughts as I walked up to the counter, my eyes scanning the black chalkboard above the counter that had written on it the menu.

When my eyes landed on the word 'BLT', I almost drooled. 

As I waited in line though, I could feel the distinct prickling of hairs on my neck, tell tale signs someone was watching me. A lot of people watched me these days though, so nothing was new. 

Normally, I didn't even notice anymore, but that stare...

I didn't turn when the waiter met my eyes and sent me a half smile. I tried one back, ordering a BLT to go, but the whole time that prickly sensation never left. 

So once my BLT was safe in its plastic bag, I paid, thanked the waiter, then turned to track down the set of eyes that were causing my neck hairs to stand up. 

Green eyes, like the sea, were staring straight back at me.

And I just froze.

Eyes locked, my grey to her green, neither of us moving, and all I could think was 'my BLT was getting cold'. 

Fuck me, she was really attractive. Especially now I could see her in bright light instead of a shady hospital room. 

And then I noticed the fiery blush on her cheeks, and the narrowing of her eyes as she broke eye contact and looked over at the other woman beside her. She had deep red hair and seriously good skin, but the girl from the hospital was the one who had my attention.

It wasn't until someone cleared their throat that I realised I was standing in the way of the line, so I quickly stepped away and turned towards the door, but not before flicking my eyes back to her again.

She was staring at me from beneath her lashes, her coffee cup between her lips, and where her eyes were trained wasn't exactly my face.

And didn't that make a guy feel good. 

I stepped out of the cafe with a smile on my face, and for the first time since forever, I realised it was genuine one.

None of that faking shit. I was smiling. 

But that smile was gone the minute I rounded the streets corner and looked up. 

Samson was standing beside one of the dry cleaning shops, talking in a hushed, agitated voice with a guy I hadn't met before. I could tell he was wound up, Samson always had this constipated look on his face when he wasn't getting his way, and the guy looked like he hadn't had a shit in days.

But then I spotted the leather jacket that the other guy was wearing, and looked upwards to take in his face.

And my blood surged faster. 

Samson was arguing with a gang member. 

And okay, I was being a bit of a hypocrite here. Jag was still involved in that gang, but I knew his back story so I knew he was solid. 

This little picture I was staring at? It seemed dodgier than Harlow's little cars power steering. 

What the hell was he doing, talking to a gang member? I had always known he was a shithead, but getting involved with dangerous guys probably wasn't the best thing to do because of his stellar reputation.

I snorted. Reputations. I fucking hated them more than I hated cucumbers.

But that thought was soon discarded when I realised Samson and his 'pal' had heard me snort, because their eyes were now focused on me.

I stared straight back, contemplating what to do. If I was still Samson's friend, I'd go over there and have a go at him for being so stupid. I'd try and tell him that this could be a stupid mistake and that getting involved with the gang that pretty much ran town was the worst idea he'd ever had, minus when he'd thought that jumping out of the tree hut in his backyard would make him fly at the age of six. 

I'd do exactly what Samson would expect, because I'd always protected him, always covered his ass when he'd done something wrong or stupid.

And look where that had gotten me.

So I moved my eyes away, and walked across the street, completely ignoring both men. 

What did I care about that exchange? Nothing. I was just another person passing by on the street, going about everyday business, just like other people did.

It wasn't until I'd gotten home that I'd realised I was thoroughly soaked.

And I hadn't even felt the rain.

* * * * 

Harlow's POV

By the time I'd reached the complex where Flynn lived, the drizzle had finally decided to turn into rain, and I hadn't moved out of my car for a full four minutes.

My heart was pounding in sync with the rain, pitter pattering all over my ribcage. I wasn't even inside his apartment yet, and the rate I was going with the increased heart rate, I'd never make it anywhere again.

Deep breath. My hand connected with the door handle, tugging it open and pushing it outwards.

Another breath, this one slightly more relaxed. And at least now I was standing, even though it was in the rain and I was pretty much instantly wet right through before I'd even shut the car door.

Once I'd managed to get my way inside, my coat was dripping, my hair clung to my face and my lips were just starting to shake. A quick look in the reflection the silver elevator doors threw back at me made me cringe. 

"No backing out now," I breathed out, pushing the up button of the elevator in one firm, confident movement. 

It wasn't until the elevator doors were opening onto Flynn's floor that I started to panic a little.

I wasn't a panicker, just to get things straight. Not even when it came to guys. But this one...he was different. In every single way. 

My mind briefly flickered to Mason for a moment. A few months ago, he was my favoured choice for a date night, because he was pretty okay. 

But that was the problem. 

Pretty okay didn't cut it once you've met Flynn. 'Pretty okay' became 'pretty fucking lame' real quick.

My fist raised to knock on Flynn's door, and I wondered what the hell I was going to say. Maybe hello? That would be a good start wouldn't it-

The door of Flynn's apartment opened, and my breath caught in my throat when I looked at him. His hair, as dark as black of my wet tights, was damp and scruffy, a few strands falling onto his forehead. His face looked clean shaven and the blue of his irises were bright and shockingly hot against my cool skin. 

And then I noticed he had no shirt on, and suddenly, I wasn't so cold anymore.

A white towel was wrapped around his waist, his skin tanned against the fabric and I tried not to stare too long at his six pack that led into a small, dark trail that disappeared underneath that towel, but seriously, if anyone else was in this sitaution, I'm sure they'd be having a good ogle. 

"You're wet." He stated.

And all I could think was 'oh, in more ways then one, Flynn'. He opened the door to his apartment further, his way of inviting me in. I stepped through the gap, my body incredibly close to his practically naked one and I had to fight the blush that hit my cheeks when my shoulder brushed his peck. 

"It's...raining." I breathed out, trying to get a better control over myself. Just because Flynn was the epitome of all things attractive didn't mean I was going to lose my marbles. 

A few catseyes had rolled loose, but at least some were still in their bag.

Flynn's mouth, that sexy, alluring mouth, curved into a small smile as he chuckled. "It is? I never noticed."

My eyes narrowed at him naturally. "Are you just going to stand there all day half naked or are you going to put some clothes on?" I asked because his physique was actually throwing me off a little.

And that's when he must have finally clicked that because I was wet, my clothes were dripping all over his nice, dark chocolate coloured carpet. 

"Come with me, I'll find you some clothes as well." He said, nodding his head in the direction of what looked like the hallway. I frowned, looking down at myself. 

"No, I'm fine, I'll just go stand by the heater-"

"Harlow." His voice cut mine off at the knees. "You're creating a pond. Now come on."

"Alright, Officer." I muttered sarcastically behind him, earning a glare from the man himself as he led me down a cosy hallway.

Flynn stopped outside a closed door and pushed it open, revealing a messily made bed, and a chaotically clean bedroom. His bedside lamp was on, giving the room a relaxing, homely glow, and I glanced around his room with a smile as I took it in.

His duvet was the same colour as his couch, a navy blue and his pillows had the same coloured covers. The walls were like an ivory white, but the solid oak set of drawers and the flat screen mounted on his wall made the space look full. The carpet was the same dark chocolate as the rest of the house, and there was an open door that looked like it went into the en-suite to the right of the room.

"You're such a mess." I laughed, shaking my head slightly at the clothes strewn willy nilly all over the place. 

"Like you're much better," Flynn snorted in a teasing tone as he walked into the en-suite and came out with a fresh looking white towel. He walked back over to me and handed it over, smiling a little. "Little drowned rat."

I fought the urge to hit him and just rolled my eyes, starting on rubbing the towel through my hair, hoping to get most of the water out this way. 

He walked over to his dresser, and I watched in slight fascination as his shoulder muscles rolled smoothly under his bronzed skin, his lower back contracting and tightening as he pulled open one of the drawers to search through for some clothes. 

I shook my head and blushed when I realised what I was doing; ogling at him like some girl who had never seen a naked man before. 

I had, by the way. But did they look like Flynn? No.

He turned just as I ripped my eyes away from his rippling back and threw something in my direction that was black and soft and smelt just like him.

"Uh, do you want to-"

"Turn around? Sure." Flynn said, facing away from me so I could change. I rolled my eyes again because I was actually going to say leave, but I wasn't going to complain. 

"No peeking." I warned.

He just chuckled, staying where he was, so I quickly stripped off down to my bra and underwear and towel dried my skin, which wasn't too damp, considering, and yanked the black shirt over my head.

The minute it settled on my skin, I was assaulted with the fragrance of Flynn.

And damn, he smelt good.

"Do you have, uh, any pants?" I asked, pulling at the hem which had fallen about mid thigh. Flynn turned around again and his eyes flashed when he saw my appearance, but I ignored it as he pulled out a pair of boxers and flung them at me. 

When I caught the red and black plaid, I raised an eyebrow at him. 

"What?"

"I always took you as a briefs sort of guy." 

Flynn's hand disappeared into the same drawer he'd pulled the boxers out of and it re-appeared with a dark grey pair of Calvin Klein briefs. "When it comes to underwear, I'm ambidextrous."

I bit back a laugh and watched as he threw the underwear back in the drawer before closing it, then realised he was still in a towel. 

"Aren't you going to get dressed too?"

Flynn nodded as he moved around the bed. "Can you chuck me those sweats beside you?" 

I looked down and picked up a pair of grey sweat pants, throwing them over to him. Flynn caught them one handed and put one foot through each foot hole, yanking them up before dropping the towel and all I could think was 'oh god, when it comes to wearing underwear, he's ambinothing'. 

Flynn snatched up a shirt from the bed and pulled it over his head, the red material settling over his big shoulders, making me swallow roughly.

"You look better in my clothes then I do." Flynn said with a teasing glint in his eye, but I tried to ignore his words as I remembered why I was here.

My grey eyes stared into Flynn's blue ones for a few seconds, before I tilted my chin upwards and said the words he'd been waiting to hear since I walked into his apartment.

"I think it's time we talked."

Flynn sighed, nodding. "Yeah. It is."

* * * * 

So I'm away next week, so there may not be an update in that time, so I'm sorry! But as soon as I'm back, I'll get the next few chapters up :) 

I hope you liked this one! It's not the most exciting or action packed chapter, but it was a necessary one, and Marley's POV is always fun, coz I just love that guy so much.

Vote, comment, you know what to do ;) 

x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

322K 8.3K 35
What's worse than having to drive twenty six hours in a car to another country just so you can spend your whole summer with an arrogant father and hi...
11.8K 1.5K 31
Asher Wilde lives life by the rules, his father's rules. His entire life has been planned out for him. But when he meets the bold, brash Dylan Harper...
35.4K 1.9K 37
Madison Franklin is a 19 yr old girl with a complicated life. After being seriously injured in a car accident Madison returns home to become entangle...
477K 26.6K 47
π’πœπžπ§π­ 𝐎𝐟 π‹π¨π―πžγ€’ππ² π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬 γ€ˆπ›π¨π¨π€ 1〉 π‘Άπ’‘π’‘π’π’”π’Šπ’•π’†π’” 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 β˜†|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...