Intimate Stranger (Editing)

By pwg7892

When Katie met Steve online a couple weeks before her 16th birthday party, she thought he was completely harm... More

Chapter 1: Prologue
Chapter 2: Katie
Chapter 3: Katie
Chapter 4: Katie
Chapter 5: Katie
Chapter 6: Katie
Chapter 7: Katie
Chapter 8: Katie
Chapter 9: Katie
Chapter 10: Katie
Chapter 11: Lilah
Chapter 12: Katie
Chapter 13: Lilah
Chapter 14: June 18, 2010
Chapter 15: Katie
Chapter 16: Sabrina
Chapter 17: Steve
Chapter 18: June 19, 2010
Chapter 19: June 22, 2010
Chapter 20: Fiona
Chapter 21: Lilah
Chapter 22: Lilah
Chapter 23: Katie
Chapter 24: Lilah
Chapter 25: Katie
Chapter 26: June 22, 2010
Chapter 27: Katie
Chapter 28: Katheryn
Chapter 30: Katie
Chapter 31: William
Chapter 32: Fiona
Chapter 33: June 22, 2010
Chapter 34: June 25, 2010
Chapter 35: Daniel
Chapter 36: June 29, 2010
Chapter 37: Epilogue

Chapter 29: William

16.9K 240 35
By pwg7892

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

The song is "Reckless" by Papa Roach and the pic is Christopher Plummer who plays Charles Malick. Enjoy the chapter and make sure to vote! (:

Part Twenty-Nine

Saturday, February 13, 2010

William Finley

William looked at Kathy with sympathetic eyes while she finished up her story. How difficult must it have been for her to go through that?

Neglected mugs of tea sat on the table in front of them and the energy in the room was surrounded in a thick wall of sorrow.

Alex cleared her throat, after Kathy went silent for a few moments, "So, what happened after Daniel ran out?" Detective Emerson questioned.

Kathy explained, "The next thing I remember, I woke up in the hospital," she told the two officers, "The police explained that my landlord found my body in the apartment the next morning and brought me to the hospital," she stopped, letting out an emotional sigh, "I can't tell you how thankful I am for that man."

"Then what, Kathy?" William asked.

"Well, um...that's basically the end of the story."

Alex looked at her, "What happened to your baby?"

"I had to have a transfusion because I lost a lot of blood. The...child didn't make it," Katheryn responded solemnly.

Empathetic, William bowed his head and said, "I'm sorry to hear that, Miss. Belmont." Alex nodded her head in agreement.

It appeared that Kathy was trying her hardest to hold herself together. "I wholly believe everything happens for a reason."

William didn't really agree with her but nodded anyway. After all, how is it possible that everything happens for a reason when he's witnessed so many tragedies and destroyed lives?

Kathy took a deep breath and tried to put on a brave face, "Is that all, detective's?" She asked them. It was obvious that she was getting anxious for them to leave.

"Just one more thing," Will answered, "Have you had any contact with Daniel since your accident?"

Kathy shook her head. "No," she told them. William imagined that if she had been in contact with him, she probably would have lied about it. But he could tell she was telling the truth about this, as well as the rest of her story. "When I think about it, detective's, there's no doubt in my mind that if Daniel knew I was alive, he would contact me. And he hasn't. Not once. So he must not know."

William accepted this. He agreed with her. Kathy's "death" must have triggered this delusion in Daniel's mind. He most likely wouldn't have committed this act if he had known his girlfriend wasn't dead. But how disconnected from reality must he have been if he hadn't even seen it in the newspapers or TV?

Kathy looked at each of the detective's, "Why have you come? Has Daniel done something?"

William and Alex eyeballed each other. "There's something you should know, Miss. Belmont," Alex admitted to the woman.

The dread was evident on Katheryn's face, "What is it?"

William started, "When I saw you, I told you you looked like someone I know." Kathy urged him to continue. "There's a fifteen year old year involved in a case we're working on at the moment, and the two of you look eerily alike." William brought out Katelyn Morris' picture and when Kathy saw it, she brought a hand to her mouth in a gasp.

Confusion shone in Kathy's eyes, "Wow, you're right. But what does this have to do with Daniel?" She questioned.

"Miss. Belmont, this girl I speak of is a kidnap victim and we believe that Daniel Kennedy is the perpetrator."

Katheryn's eyes went wide with disbelieve and shock. "Y-y-you must be mistaken," she stuttered, "Daniel is disturbed but he would never do something..." She trailed off and took a deep breath. "Are you sure about this?"

"We're fairly positive, Miss. Belmont," Alex answered. "We had an ID from one of the victims."

Katheryn let out a mini-gasp. "One of the victims?"

"Yes, he's holding several girls and one teen male in one of the victims homes," William told her.

Kathy was having trouble absorbing the news and she was still slightly in denial. "W-w-what does he want?"

Alex continued, "He's demanding five thousand dollars from each of the victims

families. Or he was until we ruined his plans by capturing his accomplice."

Recognition flashed across Kathy's face, "5000 dollars. That's the amount of money I stole from Daniel."

William nodded, "Yes, as of now we believe that that has some significance. As does the familiarity between you and Katelyn Morris, who is the main victim."

Kathy brought her hand to her face again and was having difficulty holding back tears. She grabbed a tissue from the Kleenex box on the coffee table. "I'm sorry. This is a lot to absorb," she blew her nose.

"We understand, Miss. Belmont," Alex said. "Take your time."

William looked at Alex, then back at Kathy, "I think that's all the questions we have for you. Thank you for speaking to us, Miss. Belmont."

The three stood up and Kathy led them to the front door. "I hope I was helpful," she said as the two detective's put on their coats.

"You most certainly were, Miss. Belmont, " William assured her with a kind smile.

Kathy gulped, "If there's anything else I could possibly do to help, I want to do it. I don't care what it is."

Detective Emerson answered, "Thank you for your consideration. We will let you know."

"Thank you for your time, Miss. Belmont, " Detective Finley said as they were leaving.

"You're welcome," she responded.

As the two detective's left the apartment building, they trudged on with more information and determination to get this guy.

--

Trace

Trace's body shook uncontrollably in pain and nervousness while he stayed hidden behind the shower curtain. He jumped, startled when the door opened and another girl came into the bathroom. He tried to quiet his breathing while he stood pressed against the shower wall, his eyes closed and his hand clamped tightly around the handle of the knife.

If he was smart, he could somehow attack Steve with it unsuspectingly. He only hoped Katie didn't give anything away and ruin his plans. At the thought of Katie, he pictured her body in his mind, with all the cuts on it and he shuddered. He wondered why she had that large X on her stomach. It was an odd thing for Steve to do. The mental image of Steve touching his Katie put murderous thoughts into Trace's mind.

He listened as the second girl finished up in the bathroom and then left. Several minutes went by and no one else came into the bathroom. Trace peeked over the curtain and saw that the bathroom door was wide open. He stepped over the rim of the bathtub, wincing from the painful wound in his side.

Trace now stood in the middle of the bathroom, his heart pounding in his chest and beads of sweat forming on his brow. He tiptoed silently towards the open doorway and with his life on the line, he looked out into the hallway, seeing nothing and no one. Katie's bedroom door was open and he could hear Steve's angry voice across the way.

Trace took a deep breath and stepped out into the hallway. His breath was held as he crept quietly down the hall, not knowing the outcome of what he was about to do. But, he was doing it to save Katie so he didn't care what happened to him.

--

Police

After calling to Daniel Kennedy on the megaphone, Charles Malick watched with both hands on his hips in a tall stance, while the negotiator was put on the phone to Daniel.

The negotiator's eyes were scrunched with an intense focus as he held the phone to his ear. "Daniel Kennedy?" The negotiator said into the phone. Much to Chief Malick's surprise, the negotiator suddenly looked troubled. "No, my name is Richard Fanson... Mr. Kennedy, I assure you that if you discuss the matter with me, we will have the issue resolved sooner rather than later," A pause. Charles' eyebrows furrowed as he wondered what Daniel was saying. "Mr. Kennedy, please lower your tone...Alright, alright. Here he is."

The negotiator removed the phone from his ear and held it out to Chief Malick. Richard whispered to him, "He's demanding to speak to you."

Chief Malick was surprised, but he knew he would be able to negotiate the situation. Therefore, he took the phone from the negotiator in a confident manner.

Daniel Kennedy's rough, brute voice greeted him on the other end. "This the Chief?" The man questioned.

Charles answered, "Yes, hello Daniel."

Daniel barked into the phone. "What do ya want?"

"Quite the contrary, Mr. Kennedy. I believe we're here to discuss what you want. And I assure you that we'll make sure you get it, but we need everyone to come out safe in the process, do you understand?" A grunt was the only response. Charles smirked. "I'm glad we've come to an agreement," he stopped. "Daniel, what do you really want?"

"Money," was his quick response.

"What about Katie?" Charles questioned. Silence. "Listen, it's not really about the money, right? So why don't you let the girls go and we can talk about what you really want."

"I want money," Daniel responded, determined.

"Daniel, we've apprehended your partner and found the list of addresses of the girls in the van, so we know what you're planning. Why don't you just give it up now so this doesn't get any worse and no one else gets hurt?"

"Gimme my cash and we'll see," he answered.

"How about you let everyone go and we'll get you your money. What else do you want? Transportation?"

"Why should I trust you, Chief?" Daniel rebutted, uncertainty in his voice.

"Have I given you reason not to trust me?" There was silence on the other end so Charles continued, "We understand that one of your hostages is injured and needs medical treatment. How about you let Trace--"

Chief Malick was cut off by a sudden and unexpected shouting on Daniel's end. Several voices could be heard from the house and everyone outside listened in horror. And then an unmistakable gunshot came from inside and reverberated throughout the neighbourhood.

"Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality."

~Emily Dickinson

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Escape By Annabelle

Mystery / Thriller

151K 3.2K 43
I quickly grabbed my keys and left the apartment to head towards my car. It was already dark outside, but it wasn't cold, I didn't need a jacket. I g...
61.6K 3.6K 18
"That day at the park had been strange. I sat their alone with the sense of someone watching me swing on the swingset. My house was right down the st...
121K 2.4K 21
[PREVIOUSLY IN LOVE WITH MY KIDNAPPER} When Katie gets kidnapped, she's not scared. In fact, it looks like her two kidnappers are unexperianced idiot...
8.8K 80 25
Completed!! -- I could hear him running behind me. "HELP!" I started to scream the words repeatedly. I felt like I was the stupid, helpless girl in...