Tattooed Hearts

By acreativeblur

❝ darling, let me trace the lines on your tattooed heart ❞ ● ● ● 〚 highest ranking: #471 in romance 〛 〚 copyr... More

Introduction
Epigraph
Hangovers & Typical Days
Lunch & Tutoring
Spilled Drinks & Phone Numbers
Photography & Lasagna
Phone Calls & Holding Hands
Interviews & Invitations
Pizza & Pianos
Breakfast & Ladybugs
Torment & Pick Up Lines
Dressing Rooms & Misconceptions
Pillow Talk & Soccer Matches
Halloween and Starry Nights
Cookies and Finger Paints
Aquariums & Breaking Points
New Additions & Big Ideas
Ice Cream Dates & Accepted Feelings
Secrets Revealed & Hallway Brawls
Humiliation & Heartbreaking Confessions
Proposals & Dazzling Performances
Taking Risks & Steps Forward
Mistletoe & Holiday Cheer
Emotional Mornings & Important Opportunities
Ice Skating & New Years Resolutions
Steady Rivalries & Date Nights In
Big News & Low Profile Talks
Midnight Explorations & Truthful Stories
Formal Dates & Hidden Kisses
Family Feuds & Keeping Secrets
Soccer Stadiums & Close Encounters
Home Travels & Lake Days
Fatherly Figures & Photoshoot Adventures
Returns From The Past & Trusts Broken
Broken Relationships & Time Apart
Loneliness & Closed Doors
Unexpected Visits & Hospital Beds
Rainy Nights & Moving Forwards
New Beginnings & Graduation Speeches
Settled Disputes & Body Heat
Summer Dreams and Tattooed Hearts
Home Visits & One Word Answers
Epilogue
Thank You

First Performances & Slow Realizations

1.9K 78 21
By acreativeblur

❁ ❁ ❁

"What's going on with you?" I turn my head at Luke's voice. His arms are crossed, a suspicious glint in his eye.

"I need more than just that." I say, taking my books out and shutting my locker and turning to him.

"You're acting like a puss–"

"Language!" A passing teacher shouts at Luke, giving him a state that could make a body builder weak.

He rolls his eyes after he passes. "You're different."

"No I'm not."

"Yes you are. You never talk to me anymore, you didn't even talk to me after the game or over the weekend."

"Sounds like someone is a jealous girlfriend."

"Again, what's going on with you? You're always googley eyed and you won't even laugh at my sex jokes."

I'm barely listening, instead I spot Grace, taking to a teacher down the hallway. She looks so normal, not the usual hunched over shoulders and fearful expression. Not pushing everyone away, nor afraid. She sticks her hands in her back pockets as she chats with her like a long lost friend, the teacher laughing at something she says. Grace's face lights up, a beautiful smile spreading on her face. Her eyes falter over to me, widening at my presence. She waves at me, which I return, and turns back to the teacher.

I probably watch her for ten more seconds, nearly mesmerized by her. Luke clears his throat catching my attention.

"Dude," He smirks, looking from Grace to me. "You're totally whipped man."

I shake my head. "No, I'm not," I say, turning to him.

"Dumb ass! Yes you are!" Luke laughs, not mad anymore. I give him a stern look, signaling for him to keep his voice down. "It all makes sense. Well shit."

"I'm no where near whipped," I argue. I blow out a deep breath, running a hand through my hair and peeking back at Grace. "Look," I say to him. "I like Grace. She's cute, she's nice, she's funny. I'm not in love with her or anything, and she isn't even my girlfriend. So you can't say I'm whipped."

"Aww," Luke smiles and tilts his head. "Isaac has a crush. How sweet."

"Doesn't matter. It's not like she would go out with me." I say, rolling my eyes. If only it were that easy.

"Why not? Anyone other girl here would. Hell, Macy Louis is always checking you out."

"Grace is different than the other girls here. She's special," I sigh, repositioning my backpack over my shoulder. "She's really smart, and considerate, and she finds the joy in the smallest things. And I don't know why everyone hates her, because she is amazing. There's so much to her that people don't realize, and I've never met anyone so genuine, so sincere, I've never seen anyone like her."

Luke has a stupid ass grin plastered on his face. He shakes his head and pushes off the lockers just as the bell rings. "Just a crush?" He asks before walking away. Dammit, why does he always have the last word?

But then I go over everything I just said in my head, and think,

Fuck man. You're whipped.

❁ ❁ ❁

"Which golf shirt?" I ask, holding up a blue and a red one.

"Hmm, blue. Goes with your eyes better. But RED also matches your hair. And your skin–"

"You're making this too complicated!"

"No I am not! There's lots of things to consider when selecting a shirt to where, thank you sir." Mia replies smartly, legs criss crossed, sitting on my bed.

"Just choose one, please?" I grumble, looking at the clock. Only 15 more minutes before I gotta leave.

"Well, I would say Blue so it matches her dress better."

"Thanks." I say, hanging the red one back up and shushing Mia out of my room, giving her a piece of gum for helping me. Mia can be bribed with the weirdest things. Gum because she isn't supposed to chew it with her new braces, and mom won't let her have any. I'm her gum dealer.

"You should bring her flowers." Mia says. "Like roses?"

"I already got her tulips." I smirk and shut the door on her. I hear her shout at me, but I go ahead and slip my shirt from school today off and put on the blue on, straightening out the collar.

I fix my hair really quick and grab my keys and the flower bouquet off my desk. Hopefully she likes them. I didn't want to get roses, those are too much. So I got white tulips, because I remember seeing several pictures of tulips on her photography account.

"Bye sweetie! Love you!" My mom hollers from the foggy kitchen as she attempts to teach Mia how to cook. The smoke alarm starts to ring.

"Love you too." I say, shuffling out the door quickly, leaving them, hoping the house won't burn down.

The restaurant is bustling with business, nearly every table filled up. I walk over to the hostess stand, asking for a table and she guides me to one that Grace reserved. I thank her and take a seat, ordering a drink and placing her flowers across from me.

My phone light flashes on. I pick it up, unlocking the screen, an incoming text popping up.

Grace Baker: I can't do this.

I start to type a reply, but another buzz interrupts me.

Grace Baker: What the hell did I get myself into.

Grace Baker: I'm gonna look like an idiot.

Grace Baker: Kill me now.

Me: I would miss you too much.

Grace Baker: Shut up.

Grace Baker: What do I do?

Me: Sing.

Grace Baker: arghhhh

Me: Can I come back there?

Grace Baker: I'd rather you not.

Me: Stop talking to yourself.

Grace Baker: What?

Me: You're psyching yourself out. So don't talk to yourself. Just breathe.

Grace Baker: ...

Grace Baker: Why do you always have to be right.

Me: It's a gift. Now get out here and sing your pretty little ass off okay Grace Baker?

Grace Baker: Okay, Isaac.

I slip my phone away just as the lights start to dim. The small stage is lit up with white and blue lights as the thin curtain opens, revealing Grace sitting at the piano bench.

Her hair is tied up for the first time, elegantly pulled back into a bun, loose curls falling over her face, her beautiful face. Her fingers stretch across the piano, playing the first notes softly. A guitarist sits off to the side, picking at a few chords that sound amazing with the piano, the sounds flooding the large area.

Her pink lips part, singing out a few words. "I let it fall, my heart. And as it fell, you rose to claim it. It was dark, and I was over, until you kissed my lips and you saved me." Her voice is dainty and quiet, relaxing and refreshing as she sings the words. Once she reaches the chorus, her voice gains strength, putting even more passion into her performance, hands gliding across the piano quickly, eyes shutting as her voice rings out through the restaurant, not a single person tearing their eyes away.

I set fire to the rain. 
Watched it pour as I touched your face.

She sings with so much beauty, so much force, I didn't know such a frail girl could pull off such a performance. You can feel her telling a story, as if this happened to her.

By the time her performance ends, her eyes re-open, instantly locking with mine as claps erupt throughout the restaurant. A huge, success-filled smile growing on her face. She jumps off the stage and runs up to me, enveloping me in another tight, warm hug. It feels so natural to have her in my arms.

She lets go, jumping up and down m, clapping her hands together. "That was so much fun!" She says ecstatically.

I nod my head, wearing a grin of my own. "That was amazing, Grace."

"You really think so?"

I nod my head.

"Gracie girl!!!" A voice squeals from behind me. I turn and see a woman running towards us, arms spread out, grabbing Grace and squeezing her tightly. "That was so good honey!"

Grace laughs, prying herself away and turning to me. "Isaac, this is Jane. Jane, this is Isaac. Jane works with me, she's my best friend."

I extend my hand to her and she shakes it firmly, straightening her blazer. "It's so nice to finally meet you! Grace has told me so much about you."

I look over at Grace, who blushes. "Oh, has she?"

"Mhmm." Jane says, smirking and nudging Grace with her elbow. Grace just rolls her eyes.

"I'm gonna go get changed." Grace says, voice quiet with embarrassment, slipping away quickly. Once she is out of ear shot, Jane looks at me with a more serious expression.

"Thank you." She says.

I furrow my brows. "For what?"

"For being there for her. I don't think you understand how much she needed someone like you. You really saved her." Jane says, a serious expression on her face.

Something knots in the pit of my stomach. "What do you mean by saved her?"

Jane just shakes her head. "I don't wanna be the person to tell you. But, again, thank you." I nod my head, giving a soft smile. "Now the next step is asking her out, mister."

I feel my cheeks heat up. "Trust me, I'm working on it."

Jane squeals again, clapping her hands together. "Good! My ship is sailing. Talk to you later, Isaac." She chirps before dashing away, leaving me wondering what that even means.

❁ ❁ ❁

Hello everyone!!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. It's kinda boring because I don't know how to write a singing performance very well. It will get better though, because Grace's singing is an important part of the story. Isn't Isaac so adorable. The next chapter is the Halloween party!!!! It will be up in one to two weeks. I'm very excited for it. Bye!

-Acreativeblur

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 5.5K 51
(The Selection and Red Queen) ♡BOOK TWO OF THE CHOOSING SERIES♡ ~note: This can not be read as a stand-alone. The plot and characters will be a huge...
109K 1.6K 7
Mist is a broken and abused girl she works at a dinner and lives with her step mother and her father,one day Thorn the most feared gang leader in Ame...
38.5K 1K 26
Joey Smith is not at all the usual girl. Living in LA helps her a lot. Her parents die when she's three and is sold off at four years old. Joey is tr...
16.9M 651K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...