Dark Shadows Are Alive

By ChocolatePoptart33

In a world where all of the fantasy creatures that roam about in books are real there are very few people who... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 (I LOVE THAT NUMBER)
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44

Chapter 38

92 5 1
By ChocolatePoptart33

I ignored the rest of their conversation, keeping my face neutral careful not show any emotion to give away the fact that I'm not Pheonix's blood bag and I'd like to think he actually cares about me.

Soon enough the door slammed shut and Xander spoke "Well they all of the sudden got balls"

Pheonix ignored him and looked at me with a guilty gaze but I just shook my head deciding I didn't wanna know and headed upstairs. I really need some time to myself but i know I'm not gonna get it while I'm still in this house. 

After I slipped on some skinny jeans and a short sleeve blue t shirt Pheonix walked in. I ignored him and carried on with getting my phone and Ipod until he stopped me by saying "Lynn, sweetheart I'm sorry. They're just-"

"Stop Pheonix." I said, turning around to face him and continued with "I don't wanna know who they were or why they were here because right now I have my own shit to deal with and don't need yours as well."

When I started walking towards the door he grabbed my arm in a light grip, stopping me and saying "Where are you going?" noticing I didn't have my bag full of goodies with me.

"Out. Somewhere I can think. Do not follow me, and Pheonix I swear to god if you send someone to follow me I will kill them and refuse to ever speak to you again. Bond or not I need time" I said walking past him and leaving.

I kept walking until I got back to my house then walked in past Aria and Casper, took the keys to my jeep and left. Plugging my ipod into the jeep I turned on a song that fit my mood and put the volume up all the way, driving to the only place that I would be alone yet safe. 

I pulled up to the lakefront cabin and stepped out of my jeep, taking in the view smiling. This was the last place we all visited as a family, my mom even let me bring Aria because she felt like Aria was her own daughter with how close we all were.

As soon as I walked through the door the smell of wood and flowers invaded my nose and the second I closed my eyes to take it all in, my mind overflowed with the memories.

Zac learning how to swim right off the edge of the dock, Carson and Me pedaling out to the middle of the lake and suddenly getting surrounded by speedboats pulling skiers and knee boarders. We had to stay perfectly still because we were afraid the pedal boat would take on water from the waves. Eventually we learned it wouldn't tip and pedaled as fast as we could back to the cabin.

This is where me and Aria realized we would be best friends forever because as soon as some guy at the market grabbed her arm we both started kicking his ass. Carson of course laughed and joined in instead of breaking it up, ending in the police getting called. 

My parents instead of being mad, praised us for sticking up for Aria and fighting off that perv and demanded that charges were pressed. We were all one here, not one bad memory. Even the ones where Carson broke his ankle from stepping in a Gopher hole, I thought he was dying and our parents weren't home so there was no car and the nearest hospital was by boat so we managed to make it  to the boat and he had to teach me how to start up the boat and drive it. 

I learned I was a terrible boat driver because by the time my parents got home the boat was totaled from me hitting a stump and Carson was fine because once we realized we weren't making it to the hospital he used the first aid kit that was on the boat and wrapped his ankle with my help.

My parents weren't very happy but once we told them what happened they laughed and decided that we would last out on the boat for a couple more hours as our punishment while they enjoyed drinking wine and watching us try to pretend we were famous people being chased by paparazzi.

Good times.

When I opened my eyes I started wandering the house deciding on grabbing some of the wine that was down in the cellar and taking it outside with me along with a glass and relaxed on the lawn chair, watching the lake as it brought back some of the best moments of my life.

~3rd  POV~

The door slammed shut and Aria stopped what she was doing to look over at Casper with a questioning look then stood up, walking over to the door and opening it to see Lynn drive off in her jeep.

"Lynn!" Aria yelled running out into the street after her.

She knew Lynn didn't notice her, she was in her own mind which meant that someone did something that got to her. Great. 

Aria took out her phone and dialed his number, he picked up on the second ring sounding tired as hell "What do you want Aria?" he asked figuring she didn't go back to her house because she would just get questioned by her best friend and Casper.

"What the hell did you do to her Pheonix?!" Aria demanded into the phone.

Pheonix sighed, so she did go over there then, he was wrong but if Lynn hadn't told her best friend what had happened then that meant she didnt stay long because Aria would've forced it out of her by by now. 

"She saw a side of my life that doesn't involve her. Plus I told her I was her soulmate that probably didn't help much, and she knows I know about her past" he explained, just now realizing how much he had actually just forced on Lynn.

"Wait how do you know about her past?" Aria asked shocked, while Casper just watched the whole scene before him. He loved that fire that Aria got whenever someone had pissed her off or something happened with her best friend. It made her so sexy.

"So you're not shocked about the whole soulmate thing then" Pheonix commented.

"What? No. Casper told me as soon as he found out but I had figured pretty much all of it out before hand because of her actions. I knew you couldn't be that good to the point where she suddenly had no trust or insecurity issues around you." 

Pheonix wasn't completely shocked by her already knowing, he should have figured casper would tell her and Aria knows Lynn better than anyone so of course she would realize that Lynn had started acting differently once Pheonix came into her life.

"Do you know where shes at or not?" Pheonix asked, annoyed with himself for managing to scare her away.

"You didnt answer my question. How do you know about her past?" she asked once again while she went through the mail stack that was in her hands, searching for anything that had her name on it. 

"I read some papers its really not that hard, sweetheart. Now your turn. Do you know where she is?" Pheonix asked, starting to get infuriated with her attitude.

"No. Maybe if I knew what she said before she left then I would be able to figure it out" she hinted

"She said that she needed time to think about everything and that if I sent someone to follow her then she would kill them and never speak to me again" Pheonix explained, playing with the necklace Lynn had left lying on the side table. It was the same one he had taken off her neck to compell her and got yelled at because she said it was given to her by one of her friends, Aria no doubt.

"Well if she wants to be left alone then I suggest we leave her alone" aria said easily.

"And if she gets hurt?" Pheonix asked her, bringing the necklace to his lips and closing his eyes.

"Shes smarter than that. Since she knows no ones protecting her, She'd go somewhere where she knew no one could" she paused for a moment, a memory of one safe place Lynn had taken Aria to while her family still got along "hurt her" she finished quietly. 

"What?" Pheonix asked, knowing she had figured something out.

"I know where she went" 

At that Pheonix dropped the necklace onto the bed and stood, holding the phone to his ear while he walked downstairs.

"Where?" He demanded

"Pheonix you cant go... You just explained to me that she said she would never talk to you again if you sent someone. I'll go because I didn't make that deal with her." Aria explained, happy with her reasoning.

"If you go I go" Pheonix stated rolling his eyes and walking out to his car

"Really now? Because last time I checked you don't know where she is and you seem to have people following you so as soon as you go she wont be safe anymore. Besides I can just leave without you" she said as she shut the front door behind her.

It was then that Casper spoke up from beside her, aware that Pheonix could hear him as well "How about we all leave her alone to think like she wanted. Honestly can we really not give her a day to herself? Shes the only person I know that has to deal with everyone elses problems every day of her life so I say we let her have one non-stressful day" Casper said before taking Arias phone from her and shutting it.

Pheonix took the phone away from his ear before looking down at it for a moment and putting it back in his pocket and getting in the car, thinking about what Casper said. If he wasn't going after Lynn then he was going to get a drink to get his mind off her. It was going to be a long day.

~Lynn POV~

Okay mind, we need to sort this out so we can go back to our life with Pheonix without freaking out on him and running off every time we learn something new.

Topic one, I'm his soulmate. I can go with that. When I first met him I was drawn to him and there were sparks when we touched. Plus he said his blood was gonna do weird things because it was me, meaning he knew I was his soulmate back then and knew his blood would make me drawn to him. With any other vampire I would have just healed but since I'm his mate then it made me want to be near him. 

Topic two, he's a hybrid that has enemies. They could hurt me but then again I put myself in danger everyday as it is. Plus he has his hybrids protecting me but that can get annoying considering I have to threaten him every time I want to be alone. There's not much I can do about him having enemies so I guess that one will deal with itself eventually.

Topic three, the Anserson family. Lets see I snapped on Damon, Mark slept with Aria, Blaze tried to kill me and Rikki has a crush on Xander. Clearly their father being the king will play a role considering he has friends in high places but hopefully it wont come down to that for a while. As for Damon, I'll probably apologize for snapping on him and Mark I'll apologize to for making it seem like the sex was his fault. Blaze can go die for all I care and Rikki can hook up with Xander i don't really have an opinion on that either.

Topic four, its his life too. I cant demand him to change his ways just because i may not like the way he does things. Its a part of who he is, a part that I love. Im completely over reacting because I didn't let him explain himself. Besides we all have enemies and mine show up at my doorstep too sometimes so I cant keep putting blame on him for things he cant control.

Sighing, I closed my eyes and leaned my head back, putting my wine glass on the end table next to me. I cant keep over reacting like this but I also cant keep holding my emotions in because that's what makes me keep acting like this. As much as I hate it, I have to trust Pheonix and actually talk to him about how I feel and the things that bug me most, like my past. I cant just keep bottling it up like I've been doing.

"Cas?" A male voice asked, making me jump.

My eyes opened, squinting a little so they could get adjusted to the sunlight, then I stood up, coming face to face with a guy I faintly recognized.

How the hell did he just sneak up on me? Was I really that deep in my thoughts that I couldn't hear him approaching?

I ignored that and responded to him "Nathan! Oh my god its been so long!" I said, giving him a hug smiling that I get to see my old childhood friend again.

He smiled, dimples showing through while hugging me back then saying, "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just saw someone out here and wanted to make sure no one was breaking in. I'm surprised its you though, I haven't seen you up here in a while" 

"Yeah I just, there's so much drama going on back home so I figured Id escape here for a bit" I told him, finally realizing how much he's grown.

He was no longer a dorky scrawny kid with glasses and braces. Instead he was tall with a built body and now has silky brown hair that was swept to the side in a lazy manner, making his shimmering crystal blue eyes stand out. I've always loved his eyes, they just look so breath-taking.

"Wow, you look good" I told him smiling.

He laughed "I could say the same about you. You're not the girl with pigtails and guy clothes anymore" 

I laughed at the fact he remembered that. As a kid I never liked the clothes that looked girly especially dresses, so my parents let me wear guyish clothes. Apparently i was a cute kid so what I wore didn't matter. They loved that I was a different kid who didn't follow everyone else, even at that age.

"Hey! They were comfy!" I said laughing

"You don't have to tell me, I know" he responded, his eyes sparkling with the way the sun hit them. 

We walked down my dock and sat with our feet dangling in the water while we talked.

"So how have you been Nathan?" I asked in a quiet voice, watching the ripples my toes made in the water.

"I've been okay. It kinda sucks growing up" he answered

"Yeah I get that," 

"Hey can I ask you something?" he wondered, looking at me.

"Sure" 

"How come you never call me Nate? Its always Nathan with you, no matter how many times I tell you" 

I laughed "How come you still call me Cassie? You know I go by Lynn now" 

"I like you as Cassie. I mean Lynn's great too but I grew up with an amazing girl who went by Cassie and just because you changed it to your middle name doesn't mean anything. You're always gonna be Cassie to me. The same Cassie who stopped those kids from bullying me in pre-K and pushed that girl off the swing when she called me dorky. You've always stood up for me so just because you call yourself Lynn doesn't change the fact that you're still Cassie. Changing your name to Lynn wont change you, just what people call you" He said easily, giving me a goofy smile.

I smiled down at the water when I said "Then you're still Nathan" and giving him a bright smile

"So you wanna talk about the reason you had to come here to get away from life? Are you in trouble or something?" He asked jokingly.

"Haha oh yeah you know, got caught selling drugs" I said giving him a wink.

Then I continued "No but really there's just so much stuff hitting me at once. Things that I cant talk about because you would never believe me" 

He gave a short laugh and said "You'd be surprised what I believe in now a days. My mom, she was killed by what people say was an animal attack but I was there. It was a vampire" He said quietly then continued "she was all I had left. After she was killed my dad went crazy, or at least that's what everyone believes. When he started telling everyone what it really was he got put in a psychiatric facility because everyone thought he had finally cracked" he said, his voice softer now from reliving the pain.

Tears were in my eyes at hearing what my friend had to go through, then I leaned over and hugged him saying "I know you're not crazy"

He gave me a tight smile and said "You're just saying that" 

I laughed, "I wish I was. You really wanna know why I'm out here?" I asked, bringing both of my feet up on the dock and turned to face him, my legs crossed in front of me.

He faced me too, then nodded, giving me a weary look as if I was about to admit I had committed a murder, which technically I have but I don't think I'll tell him that part.

"My parents died. I know you know that but you don't know the truth, hardly anyone does. That day when they got in a crash it was because of a vampire that wanted my blood. My parents fought it off, Zac was the first to go, they mercilessly killed him then my mom after she killed one, my dad managed to kill the last one but not before it ripped his heart out. So I stayed there, holding him, losing it while no one really knew what happened, even Carson. Then I find out that I'm some sort of supernatural hunter whose supposedly supposed to keep people safe when I cant even protect myself. But these things, fae, vampires, wolves, they attack me either for my blood or because I'm an 'abomination' which I have yet  to understand why. As if that wasn't enough my grams was part fae and died, I actually watched death take her. Then I became friends with some vampires who lived down the street and were  supposed to protect me but didn't do their job and ended up turning on me. Then Im apparently soulmates with a hybrid and my best friends dating a vampire. That's why i came out here because my 'soulmate' has enemies that i had to lie and tell them I was his blood bag for them not to come after me. I decided it was too much and ran off for the day, so there you go. That's why i believe you" I responded. 

I was afraid to look at him and see what his reaction was but when I finally did he had a look full of pity then gave me a crooked smiled and said "yeah, you win" making me laugh.

"Hey, you wanna order a pizza or something?" I asked him, moving away from the whole monsters are real subject.

"sure, then you can tell me all about why you're so special" he said giving me a wink.

He stood up first, putting his hand out to help me up, so I put my hand in his and he pulled me up but as soon as I was standing the dock rocked and I lost my balance and ended up falling towards the water.

"Ahh!" I yelled, flailing.

Nathans arms wrapped around me, pulling me into his secure chest before I could hurt myself anymore.

"Even when I help you up you manage to fall" he said, releasing me from his tight grip so I could step away from him.

I laughed but when I looked up I realized how close he really was, but I couldn't move back any further, I was stuck in that one spot gazing into his perfectly clear blue eyes.

Then I heard a crunch, making me rip my gaze away from his beautiful eyes and focus on the two men dressed in black that were watching us from the trees. They both wore black belts that held what looked like guns, clips, and stun grenades. We would never make it back to the house in one piece.

"Nathan, no sudden movements but is the boat next to us uncovered?" I asked quietly, not taking my eyes off the men in black.

"Yeah, the guy you paid to take care of this place only covers it if he thinks its gonna rain." he answered lightly, aware something was wrong.

"Keys in it?" I asked

"No"

"Well then I hope the spare is still hidden under the driver seat. On three run to the boat, keep your head down" I told him

"Whats going on?" He asked

"Ill tell you about it once we're out of here ready?"

"Yeah"

"Okay. 1...2...3!" I said and on 3 we both bolted towards the boat and jumped in, he untied it while I searched for the key and when I looked back to the men, they were now running full speed towards us, getting their guns out.

"Its untied" he said the same time I pulled out the spare key from tucked under the seat.

"Good get down" I said and stayed low while putting the key in and turning it to start the boat.

It stalled twice before revving up and putting. I put it in drive and blasted out of there, knowing the men had to have been close to the dock.

When I turned around to look I saw that one of them was on the boat with us and was choking Nathan in a headlock. 

My rage took over and I sped us up and did a 180 in the boat, making the guy lose balance then put the boat in neutral and ran over to where the big guy was. Now they were both on the ground, Nathan trying to get up and away from the guy and the big guy reaching for his gun.

My instincts kicked in and I gazed around the boat, my eyes landing on the anchor. I kicked the guy in the face, it kept him down long enough for me to grab Nathans hand and push him away from the guy "Start driving" I told him while the big guy stood up.

The big guy smirked and said "That's okay, I wanted you anyway" 

"What is it with you guys that makes you think it will be so easy to take me?" I said right when he charged at me, almost grabbing me but I ducked under him, grabbed the anchor and used my endurance of the attack to swing it at his head. I planned it perfectly so when he had turned back to attack again the anchor hit him hard on the side of the head. Ending in him getting knocked out and collapsing on the boat, bleeding out the side of the head.

Nathan stopped the boat and yelled over the engine sounds "What now?" he said, nodding at the body.

I went to one of the seat compartments and lifted it open then grabbed one of the orange life jackets and went back to the guy saying "either dump him and let him drown, leave him on a random dock, or let him float. I say let him float and one of his buddies will come find him" I explained while tying the life jacket around the big guy.

With Nathans help we dumped him off the boat, not before grabbing his gun and clips for it, and he entered the water with a big splash and floated, his arms out to the side of him like he was trying to fly and his big face out of the water.

"Lets go" I said and tucked the gun in my pants then put my shirt over it, going back to the steering wheel and speeding away.

After a long silence of just the boats engine in the back ground Nathan spoke up "So who were they?"

"No clue but supernatural things don't usually carry guns which makes me think they're human. But I have no clue why a human would want me. Either way I feel its no longer safe up here." I told him

"It hasn't been safe up here since those murders last year then my moms death by vampire" he said, making me give him a side glance to try and understand what he was explaining.

I guess this place wasn't as safe as I thought it would be, meaning I wont get to spend the night here like I had planned. But I cant just leave Nathan here alone.

"Got any places you can stay until things blow over?" I asked while I pulled into the marina and parked the boat.

While Nathan was tying the boat up he responded "Other than a friends place not really but id rather not bring them into the whole supernatural world, ya know?" 

"Yeah. Well if you wanna get away from all things relating to supernatural creatures I suggest you stay far away from me" I said with a smile as he helped me out of the boat.

I let go of his hand once I was firmly on the dock then he spoke saying "I never said I wanted to be away from it, not if it means being away from you. Your the only one who understands what I went through and doesn't think I'm crazy" he said lightly, walking next to me while we headed towards the land where all the shops were.

"well since I think we have a bit of time before they find us, how about that pizza?" I asked laughing

"Sure," he said and started heading in a different direction. I followed since he knew this place better than me.

Once we got to the place we ordered the pizza and sat in a booth while waiting for it and talked. For the whole meal we ignored everything that wasn't supposed to be real and talked about actual life. Who we liked, things we disliked, who our friends were, what happened recently, how school went, college or no college and honestly, it was the first time in a while that I actually felt normal.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 1.2K 31
**************************************** Completed **************************************** Have you ever wondered what...
30.8K 1.1K 32
I WAS LITERALLY 14 WHEN I STARTED THIS BOOK SO IT WILL BE BAD AT FIRST She is strong She is dangerous She is ruthless She is power She is Vee -don...
129 14 5
(SYNOPSIS IS BEING REWRITTEN) Sophomore Ezra Miller, the Student Council President, who has since become popular among his peers, has a secret no one...
33 17 7
After dropping out of school, Gabby returns to Luka to live with. Except they are only together for appearances sake. Having been 'dating' for six ye...