Nothing Lasts Forever

By RockofAges

Two years have gone by, life was going great for the couple until something happened that no one could of pre... More

Prologue
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen (Short)
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Finale

Chapter One

12.8K 574 257
By RockofAges

A YEAR LATER...

This past year has been a learning experience. When August first ended things I was upset, hurt and angry but in reality how could I be when I was the one that wanted to break up with him just a day prior of him getting arrested. All of that hurt and anger I channeled into my career and into my daughter. It may have been unrealistic but I was ready to erase every trace of August from my life.

I started off by doing what he asked and putting all of his things in storage. After all his things were put away instead of staying in the condo he planned for us I found a much better one, perfect for just the two of us. I got rid of all the old furniture and went out and bought new everything with the help of Kaliyah.

The main reason I had for moving was the old place held to many memories for me, good and bad. Me and August picked the place out with the intentions of raising Kaliyah there and being one big happy family and that wasn't the case anymore. I rather start new and start fresh and make new memories, all good memories, just me and my daughter.

August left me money but I refused to touch it. I had money, lots of money since he barely let me pay for anything while we were together. Everything I wanted and needed he got it for me. From paying for my dance studio to my tuition, I had more money in my bank accounts now then I knew what to do with.

I kept hearing August throw in my face that he bought me my dance studio, he paid for everything and if it wasn't for him then I would have nothing. He made me feel like I was some kind of gold digger and that I was only with him for his money and what he could do for me which wasn't the case at all.

His words only fueled my need to have my own, and I started with plans to expand my business. It was my plan since my business was doing so well and when one day I noticed that the local K-Mart was going out of business I saw the perfect opportunity. The place was huge, it was in the perfect location and that night I went home I immediately starting calling all the necessary people.

Everyone was skeptical, even Braeden. They saw a old run down building but I saw a diamond in the rough. I worked hard and put not only time but lots of money into making the place perfect and in six months later we held the grand opening. The place turned out better than even I expected and to say I was proud of myself was an understatement. And knowing that it was all mine, paid for with my money made me all the more proud.

The new place appealed to everyone of all ages and now I had the space since it was three times bigger than my old building. I hired dancers and instructors who specialized dancing that I wasn't familiar with. I had an old school class with an older women instructor who taught dances for the older generation. I hired a male and female yoga instructors and even some fun fitness classes.

I still taught my hip hop/pop dance classes for kids and adults but I wanted to take it a step further and go a little out of my comfort zone. Several nights a week I taught sexy dance classes, classes for women who wanted to spice things up at home or for women who just wanted to feel sexy and confident.

We had only been open a few months but the changes I made were worth the risk because business was booming. I estimated in less than a year I would have the money I put into the place back and more. The old building I shut down and it was just sitting there. I signed over the property to August and gave the papers to his lawyer. He loved throwing it my face that he was the one that paid for the property so he could have the place back and do with it what he pleased.

I came to the conclusion that I didn't leave him when I should of because I was scared of being alone, but I had no choice. I had to women up, it wasn't just about me anymore, I had a daughter to care for. She was and would always be my first and last priority. I had to be strong for the both of us.

Of course August called and when he did I handed the phone right over to Kaliyah who was always happy to hear from her dad. In the beginning when August went away Kaliyah was sad. August had explained to her that he was going on a trip but he promised her that he would see her soon. His explanation still didn't get her to stop asking when she was going to see him every time he called.

Ms. Sheila tried to convince August to let Kaliyah come up there and see him but every time he told her that he didn't want her seeing him in prison or coming up there. I knew he was trying to protect her but she was young and she just wanted to see her dad. Even though he was in and out when he was out of jail he usually made time to see her.

I did my part in assuring her that she would see her dad soon. I didn't want her forgetting about him or even worse thinking that he didn't want to see her. I was just happy that he called regularly so that helped ease some of the pain she had from not being able to see him. Like any good women I made sure that she was happy and that she didn't want for anything. Despite August being away Kaliyah was surrounded by people who loved her and cared for her.

-

Today started off like any other day of the week. I got up and got ready for work and then woke up Kaliyah. I gave her a bath right before she went to bed every night so she could sleep in a bit later in the mornings. After getting her dressed and ready for the day I made us both breakfast. Packed her a bag with everything she needed for a trip to grandma's and once we were done eating I cleaned up and we were out the door on our way to grandma's house.

I didn't open until ten and the first class didn't start until 10:30 but if I didn't get there on time then Braeden would open up since he was my right hand. When I opened up the first studio I knew I needed dancers and he was the first person that came to mind. He was great and we worked side by side most of the time and we came up with some of the best routines which led me to ask him to run the place along side of me.

I got to Ms. Sheila's at my usual time and after parking I unbuckled Kaliyah out of her seat and walked with her to the front door where she insisted on ringing the bell. She kept pressing and pressing on it until Ms. Sheila unlocked the door and opened it wide focusing her eyes on Kaliyah.

"Hi grandma," Kaliyah greeted her moving waving her little tiny hands back and forth. as if If it was one person she loved more than me it had to be her grandma.

"Don't hi grandma me, what did I tell you about ringing my doorbell like that," Ms. Sheila looked down at Kaliyah.

"You said not to," Kaliyah looked up at her with big brown eyes, "But I just wanted to show you the picture I draw."

She pulled out a folded piece of paper out of her jacket pocket and unfolded it and indeed it was a picture of her and Ms. Sheila surrounded by colorful flowers as tall as them with a smiling sun above.

"It's beautiful," Ms. Sheila smiled and took it from her tiny hands, "I'm going to put it on the fridge so everyone can see it."

Kaliyah smiled and just like that she had Ms. Sheila wrapped around her finger and the doorbell incident was forgotten.

"Hello," I smiled at Ms. Sheila, "Thank you for agreeing to watch her for the day."

"You thank me every time you drop her off. I told you time and time again I don't mind at all. I told you, you can drop her off whenever you like."

I smiled at her thankful for her help. Most days I took her to work with me but on my longer days I dropped her off at Ms. Sheila's so she could spend time with her grandma.

I smiled down at Kaliyah, "Can mommy have a hug and kiss?"

I bent down to pick her up and she wrapped her arms around me and gave me a kiss.

"I love you."

"I love you to mommy."

I kissed her one more time and put her down and handed Ms. Sheila her backpack and soon I was out the door and headed to work. But with me being the boss and doing what I loved which was dancing work didn't really feel like work.

When I was at the studio I was either teaching classes or in the office handling business and today was no different. In the morning I was in my office going over paperwork and other things. Running a business was a tedious job, not only did I have to make sure that my customers were happy but also my employees.

After a dull morning in my office Braeden popped his head in and we made last minute plans with Danielle to meet up for lunch at Panera Bread. Danielle worked at the hottest radio station in the city. She was a known figure in the city as well and of course me being her best friend she was always giving me shout outs.

A few months ago I came on the show and she took it upon her self to tell all the listeners that I was single and was looking for a man despite my protests. Imagine my surprise when men started calling in. Danielle took it upon herself to answer phone calls and have the man describe themselves to us and asked what they did for a living and it was just a disaster and embarrassing.

I wasn't looking to date, I didn't think I was ready but that was up until a month and a half ago. When the subject of me being single came up I decided to make a confession.

"I actually met someone."

They both looked at me as if they were waiting for this day to come and I'm sure they have been. I had many guys attempt to take me out but I always made up an excuse and turned them down.

"Well stop acting secretive and tell us. Do we know him," Braeden asked.

"I don't think you two do. I met him a month and a half ago at the fair. He was there with his niece. Kaliyah and her met and became instant friends. He introduced himself and we ended up kind of spending the day together because of the girls. At the end of the day he asked me for my number and I gave it to him."

"A month and a half ago and your just telling us now?"

"There wasn't anything to really tell."

"Well what's his name, what does he do?"

"His name is Dominic and he's a finance manager. He's 28 and he's gorgeous."

"28," Braeden was the first to point out the three year age difference, "Does he have any kids?"

"None."

"Are you sure," Danielle asked, "Because you can never be to sure."

"Yes I'm sure. Don't worry I did my research and everything checks out."

"Well you know what my next question is. Is he fine," Braeden asked.

I took out my phone and pulled up a picture of him and showed it to Braeden before he snatched it out of my hand and him and Danielle looked at him and commented.

"Are you sure your not being cat fished because he looks more like a model then a what did you say he did again?"

"Finance manager and yes I'm sure. I told you I met him in person," I reached out to take my phone back and put it back in my purse.

Dominic was smart, handsome charming, blue collared, everything that August wasn't. I didn't plan on dating or meeting anyone it just happened and I really liked him.

"Well have you two went out," Braeden asked me.

I shook my head no, "I keep putting it off but I agreed to go to lunch with him this Friday, two days from now."

"Well," Danielle smiled lifting up her drink and sipping her water, "I just hope he has good insurance."

"And a will set up," Braeden added, "If you think that August is going to let you get cozy with another man while he's locked up."

"August can kiss my ass. He was the one that broke up with me, told me to move on and that's what I'm doing. Plus last time I checked he was in jail, he should more concerned about not dropping the soap then who I choose to spend my free time with."

-

After lunch I got some work done in my office until my next class at four where I taught my younger kids. Then at seven I taught my adult dance classes, only on Monday and Wednesdays. Every other day we closed at seven and sometimes earlier.

Today we were going over a sexy routine I had done to the song . Most of these girls were twenty somethings and most were regulars so when we got together it was always a good time. Sometimes we stayed over the time that we were supposed to leave, that's how much fun we had but it wasn't all fun. By the time they left they always felt more sexy and confident then when they came in.

After class was over everyone gathered there things and talked about the plans they had for the weekend. Lynn was a accountant for a law firm downtown and from 9 to 5 was professional if her employees saw her outside of work they would see a whole different side of her. With light skin and short brown hair when you looked at her she looked like your everyday professional but she was anything but professional in my classes.

"I got the perfect dress and I'm taking my behind to the club on Friday like ahh," she bent over and started twerking which was her favorite thing to do I swear.

"Ooh girl yes and Leon ain't been acting right so Friday watch me hit the club up and find me someone else," her best friend Sasha spoke up. They were with us from the beginning and rarely ever missed a class.

"What one man doesn't appreciate another one will," Braeden told her. It was the same thing he drilled into my head all the time.

"What about you Kash. You should come with us," Sasha smiled at me.

"Um no she shouldn't. I'm trying to show off these moves and find myself a man. If she come along all eyes will be on her. No offense girl you know I love you and you know out on the dance floor can't nobody compete with you," Lynn said looking at me. I knew she meant no harm by what she said so I didn't take offense.

I smiled with a shrug, "I don't do the whole club thing anymore anyway."

"She doesn't do nothing," Braeden said putting me on blast, "All that sexy ya'll see in the class goes to waste. She rather sit in the house and watch TV and read then go out and have some fun."

"That's a lie. The last time I went out to a club with him some drunk chick spilled spilled her drink all over my dress, I had guys feeling up on me, the one guy that kept following me around, his breath smelled like hot garbage and he kept pestering me for my number and you don't even want to know what else. And on top of that this one," I pointed at Braeden, "Ditched me because he ran into his ex so I ended up having to call a cab home."

"That was one time," Braeden waved me off, "And months ago might I add."

We all said our goodbyes to them and walked them out and afterwords me and Braeden got busy locking up for the night. It was almost nine and I still needed to go and get Kaliyah from Ms. Sheila's, head home, get her ready for bed, find something to eat and then get in bed myself.

As I went to the office and gathered my stuff and went through my phone. I had a missed called from Danielle and decided to call her back when I got home and a text message from a certain someone that immediately put a smile on my face.

I heard a throat clear and I turned to see Braeden standing in the doorway of my office.

"Who has you smiling like you just one the lottery," he asked, "Dominic?"

"If you must know yes it was," I slipped my phone into my pocket, "Ready to go?"

"Waiting on you," he nodded and I closed and locked the door to my office and followed him out and towards the lobby and I heard a little voice and a laugh, Kaliyah. I sped up my pace and almost stopped in my tracks once I heard the next voice.

My suspicions were confirmed when I saw Kaliyah in the lobby pointing at the huge bulletin board on the wall where I let some of my kids post artwork and what not. She was showing August some of the one's she drew and both there back were towards me.

Braeden nudged me as if I was blind and couldn't see who was right in front of me with my own two eyes. He wasn't supposed to be out for another five months, and I wasn't ready to see him yet. Before I had a chance to map out my next move Kaliyah turned around and spotted me.

"Mommy," she struggled in August's hold and so he let her down and she ran towards me, "Look it's daddy!"

"I see," I bent down to her level and kissed her cheek. I stood up to my full height and didn't have to look at him to know that he was staring dead at me. It was like his gaze was burning a hole through me. Instead of shying away like I wanted to I put on a brave face and let our eyes meet.

He was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt and his hair had grown out and he was in major need of a haircut and a shave, other than that he looked the same for the most part. I was done assessing him before he got done assessing me. His eyes trailed up my body a bit to hard and I chalked it up to him being in jail for the past year and being around nothing but men.

Once he was done checking me out he just stared at me and I didn't like how awkward it was so I decided to be the first one to speak, "Hi."

Instead of speaking back he hit with me a head not like I was some nigga on the street. He didn't even have the decency to open up his mouth and say hi back which made me regret even speaking to him in the first place.

I looked away from him and over to Braeden who was looking between me and August like he was expecting something, anything to happen.

"Hello August," Braeden finally spoke, "I didn't expect to see you for another few months, you got out early."

"Yeah," August mumbled his reply barely even looking in Braeden's direction. I see that prison didn't adjust his attitude in any way, he was still a rude as he was when he went in.

"Well I'm going to head on home. See you tomorrow," Braeden hugged me and then Kaliyah and walked on by August without saying a word and headed out the door, "Call me to let me know you got home safe."

"I will," I waved after him and focused my attention back on Kaliyah ignoring August as I held her hand and made my way out so that I could alarm the security system and lock up.

"Did you have fun with grandma," I asked as we walked to my car with August trailing behind us.

"Yes. We read books and I read Lola at the Library all by myself."

"You did?"

"Grandma helped me a little," she admitted.

"That's still wonderful. Next time we go to grandma's house you have to let me hear you read it."

"Okay," she smiled happily.

"And what else did you do?"

"I helped grandma count all her money and then after that we washed our hands and I helped her make lunch. Then after lunch I helped her make chocolate chip cookies."

"You did, and you didn't you save any for me?"

"Sorry," she pouted, "I had three," she put up three fingers, "Grandma had four and daddy ate all the rest."

I put her in her car seat and strapped her in and August moved in so he could tell her goodbye.

Of course Kaliyah was asking when she would see him again and he promised her soon. Once I was in the car I waited for them to finish saying there goodbyes and for August to pull away from the car and without another word exchanged between us I drove off.

-----------------------------------------------------------

**Pic Of Kaliyah in MM

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

200 3 12
Almost wedded when her lies caught up on her... Five years later they met again and the past still not forgotten. Will they be able to overcome thei...
71 11 11
Live always seems perfect for the upper class, for Sophia, nothing is perfect. When things start appearing that aren't really there it's to late to c...
141K 4.2K 41
I should be living my life like every second was my last, Not wishing it was, But when I'm with her, I forget the difference.
458K 20.3K 40
It's the unexpected that changes our lives.