SINGULARITY

Bởi isaacjwmay

Recommended by Wattpad talent hunters, SINGULARITY! (Shameless advertising I know...) http://blog.wattpad.com... Xem Thêm

Prologue- ZEROTH SEQUENCE
FIRST SEQUENCE
SECOND SEQUENCE
THIRD SEQUENCE
FOURTH SEQUENCE
FIFTH SEQUENCE
SIXTH SEQUENCE
EIGHTH SEQUENCE

SEVENTH SEQUENCE

572 16 9
Bởi isaacjwmay

"Losing faith in your own singularity is the start of wisdom, I suppose; also the first announcement of death."  -Peter Conrad

Zaccaheus opened his eyes as he felt the cable unplug itself from the back of his neck and the pod began to open. Standing over him was Cavil, looking down.

"Did you do it Zac? Did you get him out?"

Zaccaheus sat up straight, rubbing his eyes. He'd done it. He had hoped to avoid bringing him back by force, but he'd done it. He had to.

"Yes. I did it. I brought him back."

Cavil looked slightly taken aback, "I'll be honest. I didn't think you'd be able to do it."

"Well I did."

"How did you do it?"

"Pulled him over the edge of the building with me."

Cavil looked even more surprised, "So you weren't able to talk him into it then… Zaccaheus, that must've been hard."

"I had to do it. It was the right thing to do, I'd made a promise. He can't just abandon Julia like that. I know the kind of pain she would suffer. She deserves, to at least have the opportunity to speak to him about it, he owes her that much."

Zaccaheus climbed out his pod and began heading toward the exit, Cavil following behind him.

"Well just remember Zac, its not like you actually killed him in there. What you did; it was harmless. He'll understand that. He can go back in there anytime he wants."

Zaccaheus nodded; Cavil was right. Daniel could return to the AR whenever he wanted. He had lost nothing by being brought back, and was selfish for attempting to abandon his mother in the first place. Zaccaheus began to feel more reassured about his actions.

They entered the elevator which began to descend. Gazing solemnly out the window, Zaccaheus could see it was night time; the streets were barren. With most of the city's lights off,  the glow of a full, pale moon hanging overhead was prominent, casting long shadows in its light. The calming atmosphere of this lonely city was in stark contrast to the excess of the world he'd been in only moments before.

His phone began to beep; Iris was calling him. He answered it, "Iris? Iris is he awake?"

"Zac… Zac please get here quick, you have to get here now. I... I'm sacred. Daniels awake, but he's hysterical, he's furious… Julia, she's scared as well, she's crying… They're fighting. Zac please get here quick, please."

Her voice was clearly one of terror; she was almost begging. Zaccaheus felt tight in his chest.

"Iris, listen to me, if he gets worse you get out of that apartment immediately and bring Julia with you. Me and Cavil are coming right now. We'll be there soon, I promise you. You just have to hold on. Don't say anything to him if he's looking dangerous, and promise me you will get out of there if he does."

Cavil was listening to the conversation intently, his face one of concern.

Zaccaheus spoke again, "Iris?"

"Yes… Ok, please just… Hurry," her voice became fainter as she addressed someone in the background, "Julia, please, stop it, you're going to make it worse…"

The call ended.

He commanded the elevator, "Faster."

It shot down towards the ground floor.  Together they dashed out of the elevator, hurrying out of the building and onto the empty street.

Zaccaheus spoke with urgency, "Car, now," as he looked impatiently left and right down down the road.

Cavil grabbed Zaccaheus by the shoulder, "Zaccaheus, what did she say?"

"Lets just say Daniel was less than happy with his wake up call."

Zaccaheus's vehicle came rolling out smoothly from the car park behind the police station where it had parked itself hours before and came to a stop in front of them, doors opening automatically.

Zaccaheus placed himself behind the steering wheel, and leant back into his seat sighing heavily, as he allowed for the cable to plug itself into his neck.

"Julia Backman's apartment; now. This is urgent."

The car began to accelerate rapidly, speeding off down the road and into the night. Zaccaheus had his eyes closed, trying to calm himself. He'd not fully recovered from the adrenaline rush of the fall from the building, and along with his call from Iris moments before, was beginning to feel distressed.

He spoke out loud, "Rhea."

A holographic projection materialised onto the driver's window in front of him; Rhea once again appearing in the guise of a woman.

"Zaccaheus? I see you've returned."

"I brought him back. And now I need you to send something over to Julia's. Daniel might be getting violent."

The face of the woman became stern, "I warned you of consequences Zaccaheus. I'm sending some enforcers over now; they should be there within a minute…"

"Do not, allow them to apprehend him until at least I get there. Don't want him to get any angrier than he already is. Just have them ensure he doesn't do anything to his mother or Iris."

"Understood, no harm will come to either of them. And Zaccaheus, I don't think you've really thought about the consequences of what you've done here, forcing that boy out of the AR like that. If I can be frank; that was not your decision to make…"

"Rhea, I don't need, or appreciate you lecturing me on this now…"

Rhea's eyes narrowed, "I warned you Zaccaheus."

The woman disappeared as the holographed flickered and vanished. Cavil shifted uncomfortably in his seat. Although he wasn't driving, Zaccaheus gripped the wheel of the vehicle tightly as he clenched his fists.

"What the fuck would it know? I warned you..." Zaccaheus sneered, "I don't care how smart the thing is supposed to be, its still a god damned computer. It could never fully comprehend my actions; any of our actions, nor any of our emotions. Warned me about what, and angry, immature child? Of course I saw that coming. What else is there that could possibly go wrong?"

Cavil sat in silence, acutely aware of the simmering anger that was present in his friend, and not wanting to potentially push him further. The car drove on into the night, neither of them spoke a word until they came to a stop before the building that housed Julia's apartment. The two of them clambered out, going off at a light jog into the building and towards the nearest elevator. It ascended; and Zaccaheus watched a digital display of the floor number counting up towards Julia's with agitation.

When it came to a stop on the desired floor, the metallic doors slid apart smoothly, and Zaccaheus made a break for it towards Julia's apartment. He listened intently, expecting to hear the muffled sound of shouting emanating from within the walls; but the building was silent save for his hurried footsteps. He came to a sudden halt at the door, and banged urgently, "Iris! Iris, I'm here!"

The door opened; and a sudden feeling of relief surged through his body. Before him stood Iris, eyes puffy as she reached out and wrapped her arms around him. He grabbed her tightly, and buried his face into her hair, whispering, "I'm here..."

She breathed a sigh of relief, and continued to cling to him. Zaccaheus looked up for a moment to glance into the apartment. Standing vigilant on either side of the room were two tall humanoid figures; the enforcers Rhea had promised. Sitting opposite each other on two grey couches were Julia and Daniel; Julia bent forwards, face buried in her hands and body slightly spasming from stifled sobs. Daniel was slumped over rather unusually, eyes only half open and mouth agape. This wasn't normal.

Zaccaheus let go of Iris and approached one of the enforcers, which turned to face him, "Hello there officer Gower..."

He ignored the greeting, addressing it aggressively, "What have you done to him? I told Rhea not to have him apprehended."

"We've simply sedated him..."

"You what?!"

"He was out of control and dangerous officer; there was no calming him. And we have abided by the instruction you relayed to Rhea; he has not been apprehended, merely; calmed down. The drug we've administered should also have him in a more compliant state when he comes around."

Zaccaheus smacked his forehead, swearing out loud in frustration; they'd practically knocked him out against his will. Daniel was already been livid as it was; having been forced by Zaccaheus to return from the AR despite his pleas to be left alone. Zaccaheus knew Daniel would never forgive any of them for this. He'd acted on what he'd thought were admirable intentions; pitying Julia. Having now returned from the AR, he found himself among people only sadder, and even more desperate than before. Now feeling plagued by guilt, he could only stand there mute, and survey the depressing situation for himself

Julia's contortions died down, and she raised her head to look at him, staring for a few seconds before opening her mouth, "Zac I... I appreciate you bringing him back to me..."

Not an out right 'thank you', just an expression of appreciation. Perhaps she to, was now regretting her decision to have had him haul her son back to the real world; not quite comprehending just how her son might have reacted to such an untimely return. In an instant his feelings towards her shifted dramatically. When he once had pity for her, he now saw her as pathetic. He looked at the miserable, sobbing wreck before him, and felt anger. She had dragged him into her personal issues; perhaps while expecting him to pity her, by taking advantage of her knowledge in Zaccaheus's and Iris's own loss; the loss of their own son.

He turned to Iris, "I think its time we left. There's nothing else we can do."

"But Zaccaheus, Julia..."

"Not now. We should leave them alone together. You've kept her company for long enough."

He started walking towards the door, as Iris went over to Julia and hugged her, whispering some reassurances to her.

Zaccaheus looked at Cavil, who was propped up against a wall outside the apartment, "Thank you Cavil. Really."

He nodded solemnly, "Whenever you need it, Zac."

Cavil arched his back and stretched his arms, before turning away from him and trudging off down the hallway towards the elevator. Zaccaheus could only watch him as he entered the elevator, turned to face him, and gave a final brief, almost sarcastic wave as the sliding doors closed in on him. None of them had thought it through properly, and Zaccaheus's judgment had been clouded by sympathy. She should have gone and spoken go him in there herself; not had him pull Daniel out. He could blame Julia for dragging him into this, but they'd all been naive.

Iris rested a hand on his shoulder gently from behind, "Lets go home."

They left the building together, not speaking, but all the while holding onto each other. As they stepped out onto the moonlit street, Zaccaheus did not call for his car. Instead they walked together along the pavement by the tall, silent, and lifeless buildings.

In the years proceeding the singularity, Zaccaheus had watched what was left of human society decline as it gradually began to fade away. Yet somehow, he'd always believed he'd remain here with Iris, and that his love for her would be enough to keep her by him. As long as he had her, the world would not end. Yet a mother who loved her son was unable to hold onto him, and Zaccaheus had witnessed first hand the collapse of what remained of that woman’s life. There was nothing left for her here. And now, he was no longer so sure of himself, or of Iris, and for how much longer he'd be able to hold onto her.

Rhea had told him to prepare for the consequences of his actions.

He held onto Iris tighter as they walked down the street, perhaps trying to make himself believe that the tighter he held on, the less likely it was she'd leave. But he saw the truth now, as he no longer wallowed aimlessly in his delusions. It wasn't the end yet, but he could see it from here.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

Tide of Traitors Bởi Firestone III

Khoa Học Viễn Tưởng

3 0 1
It's the near future, and an AI has been put in charge of society in order to eliminate inequality and bring about perfect justice. However, this has...
620 473 84
In the near future the entire world is conquered by a group of people known as Royalties, or the Royals for short. They declared war on the planet. I...
Robotic Vampires Bởi ataratreasure

Khoa Học Viễn Tưởng

30 22 22
In the world we live in, anyone who gets bitten turns to raw material. After three days you get stuck behind the white robotic attire, with actual br...