Fighting The Light (A Harry P...

By hogwarts-is-my-home8

Amber Chamberlin disliked James Potter very much. There was no way of putting it simpler or plainer. From the... More

Fighting The Light (A Harry Potter Next Generation Fanfic Book 1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Epilogue

Chapter 39

4.3K 108 49
By hogwarts-is-my-home8

James Potter

I unlocked the door and dropped my bags down with a content sigh. It was so good to finally be home after nearly a month away. I loved being an Auror but sometimes it was tiring. 

We had been sent to follow a lead on Death Eaters that an anonymous member of the public had given to the Ministry but so far we had nothing. We knew they were still out there after what happened years ago with my family, but who knew when they would target. It was all a guessing game that nobody on the good side wanted to play.

"Amber?!" I called, searching for any signs of life in our apartment. I opened the door to our room to find the bed neatly made and the room in it's usual clean and tidy state. Living with Amber meant that she made sure that everything was tidy. If I lived on my own, the apartment would be an absolute mess.

I sighed and walked back into the living room area and through to the kitchen to search for any food. I was surprised to find that there was actually food in the Kitchen because that was usually my job in the house. Amber barely had time to go anywhere other than work so I always did the shopping for things that we needed.

"JAMES POTTER!" I jumped and dropped the mug I was holding, cursing when it hit the floor and smashed into tiny pieces.

"Tanner! This is someone's house you know! You can't just walk in unexpectedly." I cried, grabbing my wand and fixing the mug quickly so that Amber wouldn't know that I broke yet another thing in our apartment.

"Actually it's an apartment."  Tanner replied matter-of-factly, walking into the Kitchen and sitting down on the chair that was perched next to the island in the middle of the kitchen.

"Don't correct me in my own home." I told him, rolling my eyes at his sarcasm.

"Chamberlin sent me and Kyle to come and see you before she got home from work because she didn't want you to be at home on your own on your first day back." Tanner shrugged, grabbing a biscuit from the barrel.

"She would." I rolled my eyes and laughed slightly. Typical Amber wanting to care for everyone but herself.

"Don't know where Kyle is actually." Tanner said.

"Probably lost somewhere" I shrugged "How's she been?"

"Mate, you shouldn't worry about her you know, she's so strong and obviously she's been working hard whilst you've been away because she hates sitting in on her own." Tanner told me.

"I know, I hate being away for that long." I sighed.

"She gets it though, you both have demanding jobs."

"Hopefully things will calm down soon." I smiled a little.

"I'm sure they will." Tanner smiled in return.

If things didn't calm down, who knew where we'd end up?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"James Potter! Just the god son I've been dying to see!" My Aunt Taylor cried as she threw open the door.

"Hi Aunt Taylor." I laughed, detaching my hand from Amber's to hug my Aunt.

"And Amber! It's so nice to see you, come in." She smiled, pulling Amber in for a hug as she stepped forward.

"Hi Taylor, it's nice to see you too." She laughed a little, following me through the door as we made our way into the living room where everyone was sat.

It seemed that Aunt Taylor had decided to invite the whole family. Mum and Dad were sat talking to Grandma and Grandpa in the corner whilst Lily and Al were sat with Lottie, Kyle and his new girlfriend Jenna Bell. Uncle George, Uncle Charlie, Uncle Percy, Uncle Bill, Uncle Mattie and Uncle Ron were all standing by the Kitchen door laughing whilst Aunt Angelina, Aunt Audrey, Aunt Fleur and Aunt Hermione were all sat with Laura who had baby Caitlen in her arms. Teddy, Olly and Victoire were all stood talking quietly whilst Dominique, Roxie, Molly, Lucy, Louis and Hugo were all sat around a Wizards Chess Board on the floor. It was a very full sitting room.

"James! Amber! We finally get to see you!" Mum looked so happy as she rushed over to hug us both.

"Sorry Mum, we've both just been so busy." I sighed. I loved family get-togethers like these cause I hardly ever got to see my family with mine and Amber's busy schedules.

"Don't be silly! You didn't even tell me if she said yes! Let me look at the ring?" Mum looked between the two of us excitedly.

"Merlin Ginny calm down, you're acting like you've not seen them for years." Aunt Taylor rolled her eyes.

"Taylor, my oldest son is getting married to one of the nicest people I've ever met and I couldn't be happier! Leave me alone." Mum rolled her eyes at Aunt Taylor in return. I'd always wondered how the two had been friends for so many years with the amount of times that they argued.

"Congratulations James and Amber!" Lily called from across the room quickly running over so that they could see Amber's ring. Why did women have such a fascination with engagement rings? It was just a ring!

"Thanks Lil." I rolled my eyes and left the girls to gush over the engagement ring to wander over to where Dad, Uncle George and Uncle Ron were sat.

"Congratulations son, I told you she'd say yes." Dad smiled, patting my shoulder.

"Thanks Dad." I smiled.

"You seriously had doubts as to whether or not she'd say yes?! James, you may be a Potter, but you've got those Weasley eyes, no girl can resist that charm." Uncle George winked, elbowing playfully.

"I'll have you know that Potters do have charm!" Dad insisted.

"Well they must have if our dear little sister fell for you Potter." Uncle George laughed.

"James, just be happy that Amber doesn't have five older brothers that you need to get permission from before you marry her." Dad laughed a little.

"I remember the day you sat us all down with Dad and asked if you could marry her. It was funny, you actually thought we'd say no." Uncle Ron laughed.

"Well you could have!" Dad cried in defence.

"As if Harry, you were basically one of the family already." Uncle George rolled his eyes.

"I know but it was by far the scariest thing I've ever done." Dad chuckled.

"Mate, you killed Voldemort and you were more scared of us saying that you couldn't marry our sister?!" Uncle Ron burst out laughing.

"Okay, so maybe I've had scarier times in my life." Dad agreed with a small nod and a laugh.

"What are you four talking about?" Mum asked, wandering over with narrowed eyes.

"Mum! Have you seriously left Amber with Aunt Taylor?!" I cried.

"No of course not! She's with Lily and Lottie." Mum pointed behind me where Amber, Lily and Lottie were sat with Laura cooing over baby Caitlen.

"Thank god for that." I sighed out in relief. My Aunt Taylor was by far the most intimidating and embarrassing person I knew.

"Anyway! Don't change the subject. What were you talking about?" Mum looked between us all, her arm's crossed over her chest.

"Just talking about proposing Gin calm down!" Uncle George rolled his eyes.

"Well from what I hear James, you were romantic for once?" Mum raised an eyebrow at me and smirked.

"Where did you hear that?" I shuffled around a little. I was not romantic at all so proposing to Amber had been a big challenge for me.

"Kyle and Fred. Apparently Nadia was talking about it with Tanner the other day and they overheard." Mum replied.

"Oh they would." I rolled my eyes.

"So? How did you do it?" Mum grinned.

"I only took her to the Black Lake. We used to do homework down there so I thought it would be a good place to do it." I replied, looking down at the floor so I wouldn't meet Mum's eyes.

"Yeah, I bet you were doing homework." Uncle George burst out laughing.

"George! Don't talk about my son like that!" Mum cried, slapping him on the arm.

"I'm just going to sit with Kyle and Fred..." I trailed off, quickly moving over to where Fred and Kyle were sat.

"CAN I HAVE EVERYONES ATTENTION PLEASE?!" Aunt Taylor had stood up on the coffee table and was tapping her wine glass with her wand. She didn't even need to tap the glass as her voice was that loud.

"Taylor, don't break the coffee table!" Uncle Mattie rolled his eyes at his wife.

"Oh be quiet Mattie! Anyway, I'm just going to make a small speech because we've had so many achievements this month in our family so first to Olly and Laura, thank you for bringing such a beautiful human into the world she's absolutely beautiful. To Caitlen! Secondly, to James and Amber on their engagement! We're so glad that we can finally welcome you to our family Amber. Good luck. And finally, to Teddy and Victoire who are getting married tomorrow! We can't wait and I wish you the best of luck. Thank you everyone for coming." Aunt Taylor quickly climbed off of the table and raised her glass as everyone joined in.

It was moments like these that made me glad to have such a big family. There was always some sort of drama going off.

******************************************************************************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

544 40 9
It's now Amber's second year, and something fishy is going on at Hogwarts. First, Harry claims a house-elf approached him at his house, people are ge...
12.7K 141 51
James Potter has always hated everything about Mariya Seratova: she's blunt, unapologetic, and worst of all she's a Slytherin. She stands for everyth...
3.9K 731 21
What happens when you ruin your worst enemies life and then fall in love with them? Problems. But some problems aren't meant to be solved. ... Charmi...
301 46 40
Hi, it's James. James Potter. You probably know my last name as my father is Harry Potter. Yes, you've heard right, my father's THE Harry Potter. Any...