She's On The Hunt - (Book 2 o...

By lilly-rain

Eva and Saxon are finally a mated couple but nothing is ever simple for them. Instead of settling down and do... More

Chapter 1 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 2 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 3 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 4 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 5 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 6 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 7 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 8 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 9 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 10 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 11 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 12 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 13 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 14 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 15 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 16 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 18 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 19 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 20 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 21 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 22 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 23 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 24 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 25 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 26 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 27 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 28 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 29 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 30 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 31 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 32 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 33 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 34 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 35 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 36 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 37 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 38 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 39 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 40 - She's On The Hunt
Epilogue - She's On The Hunt

Chapter 17 - She's On The Hunt

238K 4.3K 1.1K
By lilly-rain

And just out of curiosity - how many aussies are reading this? =)

~ ~ Chapter Seventeen ~ ~

“Eva! Phone!” Stevie screamed from somewhere upstairs and I raised an eyebrow, wondering who on earth would be ringing me since everyone I know is in this big house anyway – well, everyone I like at this given moment in time.

Groaning to myself as I stood up from the deck chair, I glanced back at the last rays of the suns beautiful entrance to the start of this day and sighed softly. I had spent most of yesterday sleeping and as a result for that – I was up before the sun.

Walking in through the back sliding door and down the short hallway, I figured I would just use the house phone in the kitchen, but as I passed dad’s office doors, he called out and I made a turn to go and see what he wanted.

“What’s up pops?” I greeted cheerily, smirking as he cringed at the word ‘pops’.

“Grandfather or Grandad Eva, how many times do I need to repeat this?” he muttered with agitation as he nodded at the big brown leather seat alongside his next with his house phone on the corner of the desk in front of it.

“And how many times do I need to say that pops is so much cooler?” I argued back lightly as I sat down and looked back over at him, grinning a little, “You do want to be cool, right?”

Dad pulled a face as he motioned towards the phone with one hand, “Just take your phone call Evangeline.”

Cringing at the use of my full name, “Whatever you say....pops,” and I grinned again as I watched him cringe this time.

Picking up the phone and holding it to my ear as I leant back in the chair, still grinning at dad as I spoke,“Argh me hearties, ‘tis Captain Eva speakin’,” I stifled a laugh at dad’s horrified face as he snapped his head up and looked in my direction.

“What on earth is wrong with you?” he asked; shock clear in his voice and on his face.

“I'm ye Captain Feather sword Eva, ‘ere to steal ye gold and take your wenches for me slaves,” and I rocked one arm with a clenched fist like the pirates do in the movies. I'm bored, what do you expect and I was watching some pirate movie the other day since I still am not allowed at school and it’s been over a week since Travis brought that stupid rule into play.

“Eva.”

My grin dropped instantly and all playfulness ran away, packing its bags and screaming ‘bring anger back’ as the world around me seemed to stop in time, if only for a few minutes, but it was enough for me to compose myself, to shut my inner wolves darn mouth up and to not let him get to me.

“Alpha Redford,” I greeted him coolly, ignoring dads worried, but hopeful looks he was giving me, “Long time, no see. So tell me, how are things holding up at your end?” I asked sarcastically and not really wanting or expecting an answer.

He scoffed loudly, “Alpha Redford my butt Eva, I'm still your mate,” he growled lowly and my eyes narrowed instantly.

Why is it that he doesn’t even sound weaker than what he should be? He still sounds like the same old strong minded, stubborn and cocky gorilla we all know him to be.

“Ex-mate,” I smirked, “I dumped your furry butt.”

“What! Mates don’t break up – ever! Unless its death,” he half shouted and I could hear him taking slow and deep breathes on the other end of the line, which only made my smile grow wider since I knew I was getting to him.

Lifting my feet up onto my dad’s desk as I replied, “Well...I’m sure your death will be easy to arrange, it’s not like anyone will miss you.”

“You will.”

Huffing loudly, “I'm sure I can manage without you.”

“Eva, we both know that’s not true – I’ve heard no one has even seen you around lately,” he mumbled with concern and I gripped the edge of dads’ desk with my free hand while I sat up in my chair. How dare he even act concerned about my well being.

“It’s because we’ve moved, I didn’t want the misfortune of ever seeing your ugly face again, “I growled out between gritted teeth, he was working me up and I had to calm down. I couldn’t let him know how much of an effect he had over me still.

Saxon scoffed loudly, “I know you haven’t. I do have people checking on you Eva.”

This angered me even more, “You’re spying on me when we aren’t even together? I'm pretty sure I can report that to the police,” I threatened.

“Knock yourself out, it won’t make a difference,” he sounded amused.

“I hate you,” I hissed before slamming the phone down and glaring angrily at it, tears threatening to come to the surface of my eyes, but I furiously blinked them back. I would not cry over him.

I don’t know how long I sat there for, glaring angrily at the phone while thousands of ideas for payback ran through my mind, some were incredible brilliant and Saxon would never see them coming, but at the same time – I knew I had no energy to pull them off.

“Honey?” my dad’s voice broke me from my thoughts and I slowly raised my head to look up at his worried expression.

Smiling a little, “I'm fine, really.”

He shook his head, “No, you’re not...you need him back.”

Narrowing my eyes, “No, I don’t dad,” and I stood to my feet, my head spinning a little as I did, but I managed to walk away and out of that room.

I needed to get out of here. Glancing up at the clock in the main foyer as I walked through it on my way to the stairs, a small smile lit my face and I knew where I was going.

Slipping my school polo shirt on over top of a simple grey coloured long sleeved top with a hood attached to the back to it, I wound my hair up into a messy bun and pulled the hood over before pulling my ratty baseball cap down on top. Glancing at my shocking reflection, I knew I was starting to resemble something out of a horror flick, but I couldn’t bring myself to care either.

Travis had tried to talk me out of this, but I refused to listen and the boy didn’t dare try and use his Alpha tone on me because we both knew it wouldn’t have gone down well. I may not be as strong as before, or as fast, but I was still a stubborn and determined girl.

And I was getting out of this house, no matter what.

Harper and Brody were coming along with me, Chris had sided with Travis and is currently annoying me to just stay home and chill for the day – chill like I have been for the past week, but I was over it all.

“I’ll buy you whatever you want,” he grinned enthusiastically and I rolled my eyes without replying as I searched for my sneakers.

“Chocolate, killer pythons, flavoured milk, DVDs...anything Eva!” he threw his hands up in the air with frustration and I simply ignored everything he was saying, “Please don’t go, I don’t want you near them new wolves,” he muttered in a softer tone.

Pulling my sneakers on as I looked over at him, I knew this was one of those ‘friendship moments’, but I ruined it – I don’t do emotions very well, “Naww, is Chris scared of staying home without big old Eva here to defend him?” I even pouted a little.

He glared at me now, “I was being serious,” he huffed loudly, “And you ruined it – you’re the first real friend I had that was outside of my pack – the first girl friend I’ve ever had mind you, and I'm worried about you, we all are.”

His words touched me a little, but he didn’t need to say that out loud, I already knew I was a good friend to him and vice versa – he’s my first real friend that wasn’t trying to use me to get close to one of my brothers. “Don’t worry CC, my bro’s will be there, I'm just going for a little bit to get out of here. I need to get out.”

Chris sighed loudly, giving up on this argument that he finally realised he was never going to win, but he also let the CC comment slide, “Fine, but I’m going to be hanging around outside the school until you leave. So if anything and I mean anything happens – you better mind link me Eva.” He gave me a stern look and I bit back a smile and nodded, giving him a mock salute.

“Aye aye captain!”

He shook his head slowly as he rolled his eyes, “You seriously are the weirdest person I’ve ever known.”

Grinning slightly, “I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“I knew you would,” he muttered dryly, but smiled at the end.

“Catch ya later dude,” I waved and walked out of my room to go find the other two – at this rate, we should make it in time for second class.

“We’ve got art now, right?” Harper asked, scratching the side of his head.

I glanced back at him and nodded once while I led the way to our room, those two decided to start a pushing match the second we walked in through in the front doors and into the empty corridors – second class had already started, so we were the only ones wandering around and I didn’t want to get involved in their little match.

“I wonder what we’re doing this time.” Brody asked out loud, but both Harper and I shrugged. Last time we were here we were working with charcoal.

Stopping briefly outside the closed door, I took a small breath and continued on, pushing it open and hearing nothing. Looking around the room in confusion because this is one of the noisy classes I usually have, everyone had turned to look at me and my brothers, but they were all sitting silently.

It wasn’t until my eyes landed on Troy Dallas that I understood why no one was being themselves – they were scared of one of the new school bullies. Smirking slightly as I shook my head and walked in further, only to be stopped by the teacher, Mr. T.

“Not you three again – I thought you had all left?”

I looked over and smiled at the man, “Sorry, we’re back again.”

He sighed a little, which almost made me laugh at how upset he actually looked to have us back in his class once more, “Alright, we’re working in pairs with papier-mâché-,” he got cut off.

“We’ll work in threes, thanks,” Brody grunted rudely, smirking a little at the end as he challenged Mr. T to argue on it.

Our teacher frowned, but nodded anyway and motioned for us to take up the last remaining empty table which we all walked over to and sat our bags down.

“So,” I spoke up, it wasn’t too loud, but with the eerie silence thing going on – I might as well have shouted it, “What are we going to make then?”

“A bus,” Harper nodded once and he looked serious too.

“Um, no,” I muttered, pulling a face at him, “How about a dinosaur?”

“Dinosaurs are so last century,” Harper muttered back, rolling his eyes dramatically, which made me laugh a little.

“A monster truck?” Brody offered as he stood up to go collect the items we needed to get started.

“Eh, why not? I call dibs on the wheels,” I grinned over at Harper who had opened his mouth to say something, but I had bet him to the punch line.

“I want the wheels though,” he almost whined and both Brody and I shot him a weird look, but I shook my head slowly as well.

“Don’t think so, I dibbed it first.”

Art flew by quickly and the entire time I could feel Troy looking at me, which gave me the creeps – I thought I had made it clear to him in the shop the other day that I wasn’t interested at all? Maybe I need to refresh his memory with a swift kick to the balls – normally I would go for a punch to the face, but I’m not stupid enough to think I can pull that off right now.

I was walking down the hallway towards my next class which is with Harper, who was currently walking ahead of me a little with some guy who he was goofing around with – I’ve seen him with the boy a few times and just presumed they are friends since they get along.

‘How’s it going?’ Chris’s voice filled my mind and I shook my head a little.

‘Fine CC, there is nothing to worry about,’ I responded instantly, imaging how on edge he would be looking right now or how bored he would be. The silly bugger should just go home.

He didn’t say anything back after that, so I'm guessing he either believed me or is now talking to Harper or Brody to find out if I’m lying or not.

Harper had just rounded the corner ahead of me when something solid and hard slammed into my shoulder, sending my body flying into the nearby lockers along the wall and banging my head hard. I gasped loudly as pain shot through me, “Ouch,” I muttered with pain and anger as I slowly turned to face my attacker – Peter, who stood there smirking.

“See, I'm pretty sure I can handle you,” and he rammed me again, my body slamming once more into the hard surfaces of the lockers, but this time he managed to hit my head enough to cause stars in front of my eyes and wobble from disorientation.

I cursed loudly under my breath as he stood there, staring down at me mockingly with his arms folded across his chest as I struggled to balance myself and not fall over. My entire body was throbbing with pain and I wasn’t sure if I could take another brute blow from him.

This didn’t stop my ego or stubbornness though.

“You’ll regret that douche bag,” I growled lowly while holding the side of my head and blinking continuously to steady my eyesight.

He leaned in close, “You see, I don’t think I will.”

“Peter!” a voice boomed, a loud one filled with authority which had Peter straightening up immediately while I could easily shrug the tone off and smirk at his angered face. He was ticked off that his Alpha was stepping in. “Go to class, now,” Troy growled in a low tone and Peter scowled at me once before turning around and walking off without uttering a single word – but the look in his eyes screamed that this wasn’t over.

That boy was out to get me and he wasn’t going to stop anytime soon.

“You okay princess?” a hand reached out to touch my shoulder, but I yanked it away from his reach as I glared up at him.

“Touch me and it’s the last thing you will ever do,” I warned and then stepped away from the wall, biting the insides of my cheeks as I struggled to walk in a straight line.

The smart thing to do would have been to call one of my brothers for help, but since when am I very smart?

“Your mate left you, didn’t he?” Troy asked softly as he trailed along behind me while I did my best to ignore his presence, “Recently too.”

“Will you stop stalking me already?” I snapped without looking back at him, but I heard his faint chuckle.

“You’ve got a strong spirit for a weak wolf, it’s a good quality to have,” he commented casually and I groaned, but not from pain – from the obvious direction he is going with this crap. I'm not entirely stupid, I know what he is up to and Saxon or no Saxon, it isn’t going to work.

“Stalking is a crime, you know that right?” I mumbled while squinting my eyes and walking towards my classroom door as I rounded the corner already.

A hand reached out and took hold of my elbow, gently spinning me around to face him as I stumbled from the fast movement. Troy quickly pulled me in close to his chest and I immediately tensed and ground my teeth together as a low growl rumbled through my chest.

He smirked down at me, “I know the Alpha left you, but that doesn’t matter now. I have a proposition for you – one that will benefit us both. I can claim you over top of his claim, it won’t be as strong as his, but it will be strong enough to give you back what he’s taken from you – your strength,” he whispered in a low voice, staring down at me and waiting for a reaction.

“You know, “I started off slowly, playing him a little as his eyes lit up slightly, until I ruined it with the next part I said, “I love my personal space and get in it again, you will see just how much exactly,” and with that, I yanked free and walked off down the corridor towards my classroom door.

Grumbling to myself as I reached the door and pushed it open, I couldn’t believe the arrogance on that jerk – Is Chris sure Troy isn’t related to Saxon because they seem awfully alike. I have to admit though, as much as it is tempting to get my strength back and show Saxon I don’t need him at all – it wasn’t worth it.

It wasn’t worth being half mated or whatever the heck it is to another jerk and I’m also pretty sure my pack would have some very un-colourful things to say about it as well. No, no matter how good it would be to show Saxon up, it wasn’t worth it in the slightest.

Harper frowned at me as I sat down, but I smiled the best I could at him, ignoring the throbbing pain in my body since I knew it would be gone in an hour or two – hopefully. Turning to face the front of the class, all that was running through my mind was one thing – getting Peter back.

I didn’t care for Troy much, he is just some annoying fly that won’t go away, but soon he will get the hint, Peter won't though. Peter is out to get me hardcore and I need to get him first.

“I know that look Eva,” Harper muttered as he turned and faced me, I glanced back at him shrugging innocently, “You’ve found an enemy....but please don’t, you’re not strong enough right now to be fighting with people..,” his voice trailed off as he frowned and then anger flickered across his face, “What the heck happened to your head?” he all but shouted and I cringed slightly.

“I, um, fell over...before,” and I quickly looked away, prepared for him to keep going, but to my surprise he let it go as every set of eyes were on us right now.

And one set in particular made me scowl – that silent guy who is a part of Troy’s little stupid trio. I glared back at him and he eventually looked away, but he never glared or pulled an angry face of any kind – he was just simply staring at me like a weirdo.

During the entire day, I was surprised Grug had not made any annoying appearances, but then again, he did make it clear he didn’t want to lay eyes on us and if I had been up to it – I sure as heck would have pulled as many pranks as I possibly could just to get sent to his office, but I didn’t have the energy for that kind of thing.

So for now, Grug is safe from me.

“You ready to go home yet?” Harper mumbled before lifting his head up from the wooden picnic table ad looking at me with the upmost bored look ever.

Shaking my head a little, “Nope, I'm enjoying the space from everyone.”

“You look exhausted,” Brody commented as he popped another grape into his mouth and grinned knowingly at me.

Rolling my eyes, “Well, I'm not. Looks can be deceiving, have you never heard that phrase before?”

“Duh, of course I have, but we all know that’s not the case with you,” and he gave me a pointed look.

“Whatever,” I mumbled and looked away from the two of them.

The entire lunch area was so quiet like last time I was here – everyone talked in hushed tones and I can imagine how pleased the teachers would all be about this, but damn people – you are all boring now!

Looking across the grassed area to where Troy sat with his two little minions, my eyes narrowed slightly, but in a suspicious way – why are they here? Is Chris right about them or is there another reason? Neither of the three was speaking, but I had no doubts that they were communicating silently through their minds.

I'm going to find out what it is they want one way or another.

The silent guy glanced up and met eyes, I had the urge to look away, but I didn’t and as I studied his face, I tilted my head a little to the side – there’s no way he is young enough to pass as a student here, he has a more matured look about him.

Something is definitely up with that guy.

“What class now?” Brody asked as we walked along the hallway, he was sick of being here and so was Harper – I’ve told them both countless times that they are more than welcomed to go home whenever they want to, but they won’t leave until I do.

I was half tempted to leave, but I just slept through my previous class so now I’m all energized for my last two lessons of the day, one being drama and the last being food.

“Um, I’ve got drama...,” I trailed off, not knowing how either was going to react since this is the one class I had without any of them in it.

“Oh, well you should be right. We’ll walk you to the door and pick you up, ‘kay?” Harper grinned and I smiled a little. At least one of them wasn’t treating me so much like a little kid who can’t handle one day of school.

“I don’t think so, “ Brody grunted and it started a huge argument between the two over whether I was capable of managing one class alone. Eventually Harper won and they dropped me off at the door and watched me walk inside.

Shaking my head a little as I walked over to the far wall and dropped my bag before sitting down and facing the room, only a few students were here so far, but more were walking in before the bell rang out.

I was off in my own little world while I waited patiently – which is a new thing for me, I must be growing up, when the teacher walked in, smiling happily like I remembered with her care-free attitude and starting talking all about some performance she wants to put on for the school and is willing to take ideas.

A few random students started sending their hands flying up in the air as they all shouted out what plays they thought would be cool; someone suggested a mash up of fairy tales, while some guy wanted to perform transformers – which would have been epic.

It was only now that I noticed Gemma and Tarsha were sitting alongside me, Tarsha the closest with Gemma on her other side, as I looked at her she turned and offered me a small smile and I looked away again. What the heck is up with them sitting so close?

Gemma was trembling slightly and looked like she would rather be anywhere but here, while Tarsha had a determined look on her face. “We’ve got your back Eva, don’t worry,” she whispered and I was gobsmacked with utter confusion, what on earth is she on about...., I trailed off as I caught their scents before they entered the room.

Troy had caught mine the second he walked in and his eyes darted to meet mine instantly, I glared at him hatefully and stuck my middle finger up which only caused him to smirk and stroll on over in my direction – jerk.

“Princess,” he nodded and I pretended to gag – loudly.

Gemma’s eyes were downcast and it was like she was wishing she could turn invisible or at least be anywhere but here – I get the strong feeling that Tarsha forced her to be near me right now. Tarsha chuckled slightly at my bad acting skills and I smiled over at her a little, wondering where this newfound friendliness of hers has come from.

It’s not like I’m with her Alpha anymore, so she has no need to even speak to me.

Troy winked, completely ignoring my insult towards him, “I get that reaction a lot,” and I screwed my face up instantly at what he was hinting at.

“I don’t associate with sicko’s,” I muttered and tried to pay attention to what play we were going to be performing, not that it had been decided yet or that I really cared, but he didn’t know that.

He turned and glared at the two girls, “Leave,” he almost barked in a commanding tone, which only angered me even though it wasn’t directed at me.

Looking back at his face, “You’re not their Alpha, so you have no command over them.”

Troy looked down at me, it was like he was trying to hide his true potential of anger right now, “Your Alpha ditched you all, I'm the only true Alpha around this place now.”

I scoffed loudly, “I beg to differ, my brother is a true Alpha around this place and he would kick your furry butt all the back across the state lines from where you came.”

He growled lowly and with warning, but I’ve never paid attention to warnings before, “Keep going little she-wolf and I’ll make you mine.”

Rolling my eyes and I bit back a laugh, “Oh so charming, no wonder you are mate-less.”

That hit a nerve and big time too because in the next second he had me gripped by the throat and pinned up against the wall, my feet dangling in the air, but he wasn’t choking me, just holding me there. This didn’t stop me from attacking his greasy unwanted hands though.

“I won’t be for long and you better start respecting me little one, I don’t allow females to back chat like you do,” he growled furiously and I wanted to punch him in the face so bad.

“Let her go!” Tarsha jumped to her feet to defend me, but Peter shoved her backwards and blocked her from coming closer. I was aware of the teacher in the background shouting for Troy to release me at once, but he was ignoring her.

“Her mate is not going to appreciate this,” a new voice spoke up in an angry tone and I turned my head along with Troy to see Keith walking into the room, scrunching his face up in disgust before glancing over at our teacher, “Class dismiss, everyone leave. Now!” he roared the last part and not even our teacher argued with him as we all stood still – well, I hung still, as the class emptied the room.

Troy was the first to speak and I had to not roll my eyes at his macho attitude, “Her mate isn’t here,” he growled, “She’s free range right now.”

I scoffed loudly, “I am not free range!” how dare he refer to me as some kind of chicken that you can just walk into the yard and pick, giving the chicken no choice if it wants to actually go with you or something. The nerve of this jerk.

Keith smirked a little as he stepped forward with confidence, “I'm the Alpha in charge right now and I do believe you don’t have permission to be here on our lands.”

Troy looked Keith up and down, sizing him up while I grinned a little, but still smacked and clawed at his stupid hands around my neck.

“I can take you on,” Troy smirked arrogantly.

Keith shook his head with amusement and at first I was confused, it was like he knew something the rest of us didn’t, “Maybe, but you can’t take her mate on.” As he said those simple words, she felt him. My inner wolf felt Saxon’s presence close by and he was coming this way like a hurricane on steroids.

No way.

My eyes widened as my sense became more alert and I could even smell him now, he was in the actual school.

Troy laughed mockingly, along with Peter and I noticed the silent one seemed to stand back a little, like he has been from the start. “His not even here!” he boomed loudly with more laughter, living this moment up and I smirked even more, he is such a fool.

Keith was smirking along with Tarsha; even Gemma didn’t seem as worried as moments ago as the girls were just as surprised by his presence as I was. This doesn’t mean I forgive him or that I’m going to speak with him, but still – this is going to be hilarious.

“And if he was, I’d take him down with my hands tied behind my back,” he continued, bragging about how he was going to defeat Saxon. I hate my mate, I really do, but even I know Saxon will win this one.

Within the next second, the doors flew open, coming straight off their hinges and I almost cracked up laughing, until I remembered I still hated him as he stormed in and flew at Troy, knocking him to the side and clean away from me as I fell to the ground. Only to have the gorilla grab a hold of my waist before my feet touched the flooring and he steadied me down gently and turned to glare at Troy, “Keep your hands off of her,” he didn’t roar, shout, scream or anything like that, but the tone he used was deadly and dangerous, one that a smart person or wolf wouldn’t argue with.

“What happened to giving a guy a warning?” Troy growled, glaring at Saxon and lowering a little, getting ready to spring into action.

Saxon glared holes through the dude, “Not when it comes to Eva.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 6.6K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...
112K 4.2K 33
Moon is the Black Wolf. She hid from her kind. What happens when she starts killing for fun and not only? Will everything change? Or will she fall fo...
203 5 20
There are three rules we follow. Don't attract attention. Don't pick a fight you can't win. Never go near a pack. These rules keep us safe. We aren't...
50K 2K 26
A little girl had it all then lost it all. A rogue wolf killed her family and with the graces above she managed to escape from death. The wolves tha...