Burning Desire

By EverleighAshcroft

2018 Wattys Longlisted. A little spicy. A little sweet. A lot of passion. Kate Crawford has always known what... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue
The Sequel: The Ties That Bind (Jesse's Story)
Buy Burning Desire
Sneak Peek at Licensed to Kill
Acknowledgements
Dedication
Burning Desire
About the Author
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Playlist

Chapter 5

25.8K 751 28
By EverleighAshcroft

Selena and I had walked down the street to McCrystal's, a small Italian restaurant, for lunch after I finished the second paragraph of the article I was working on. Joseph had slowed down my progress, asking me to edit a piece for him while he took a break and went to get a sandwich.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get into Joseph's writing. Usually, I didn't have an ounce of trouble, but today I couldn't keep my focus and Selena kept teasing me that it was because I was daydreaming about Jesse and Alex. I told her she was crazy. I had more than enough reason to daydream about Jesse, but not Alex. I'd just seen him for the first time a few hours prior. I didn't know the man. Of course, he was extremely attractive, but I had no business imagining date nights with him. He probably had a girlfriend, for all I knew.

As the afternoon dragged on, the swarm of Now You Know writers gradually lessened until finally there were just a handful of people left.

"Staying late again?" Nicole's voice came from my doorway.

It was like hearing nails on a chalkboard.

I looked up from my work, immediately annoyed with her presence. "I'm about to leave. Just wrapping things up."

Why did she care?

"Oh," she said, fluffing her curly bleached hair. "Well, did you hear about the new hires?"

I hadn't heard anything yet about the writers Mandy had decided to hire. Selena had said Mandy would send out a mass email informing us of who our new coworkers were and what their positions were going to be once she finished interviewing everyone. Initially, we'd expected the interviewing process to take several days, but it appeared she'd be done by the end of the day. Next came the probationary period where Mandy would give the new writers a little while to prove themselves, and decide if she was going to fire anyone she'd extended a chance to. I silently hoped Alex had gotten a job.

I started to regret having not gotten his number or given him mine, since it was more likely than not that I wouldn't see him again. Maybe Selena was right. Maybe I should explore my options. There was no guarantee of anything with Jesse, not that I intended to give up on that idea anytime soon, but there was no reason why I couldn't shop around while I was still single.

"I expect Mandy will let everyone know tonight or tomorrow," I said, trying to be nice to avoid confrontation.

It seemed like Nicole was searching for any opportunity to take a jab at me. I really didn't understand why she had a problem with me to begin with, but I didn't want to make it worse by bitching at her, though it was taking a lot of willpower not to.

Nicole crossed her arms over her obvious boob job and stepped further into my office.

"Looks like we've got more competition," she said, glaring at my framed journalism degree on the wall.

"Well, you're competitive," I mocked her, repeating what she'd said to me a few days before.

I assumed that pissed her off since her only response was to do her famous dramatic heel turn and leave.

Finishing up my work, I shut down my desktop, gathering my things and heading out to my SUV. On my way out, I noticed Mandy was still in her office. Selena and Joseph had already left for the day and most of the vehicles that had occupied our parking garage had disappeared.

My heels clicked on the pavement, echoing loudly through the garage as I made my way to my dark red Mazda, lugging my computer bag on my right shoulder.

"Kate?"

I heard a man call my name behind me and I turned to see Alex standing beside a white Ram pickup. He'd taken off the Budweiser ball cap and he looked even better.

"Hey," I smiled, stepping toward him as he did the same. "How did it go?"

His smile didn't falter. That was a good sign.

"I don't think she liked me at first," he shrugged, sliding his hands into his pockets. "I figure we worked things out about halfway through the interview. Mandy didn't seem to add me to her favorites list, but she said I had something and told me not to dress like a hillbilly when I come to work tomorrow."

I grinned so hard it kind of hurt my cheeks. "You got the job! That's great!"

Alex looked proud of himself, smiling. "Yeah. I honestly didn't think I had a chance. She liked your idea on having a full-time music writer, though. I think that's what saved me."

The more I talked to him, the more I liked his personality. Alex seemed like a total sweetheart and it made me happy to know I was going to be working with him.

"That's awesome," I said. "I look forward to working with you."

Wow. Could that have been any more generic?

"So listen..." He patted his hands on his thighs, thumbs hooked in his belt loops again. "I was wondering... If you're not doing anything tomorrow night... I was thinking..."

I wanted to tell him to spit it out but I didn't want to be rude.

"Sure," I said with a smile, answering his question before he even put it into words.

A light pink color rose to his cheeks and he chuckled nervously. His green eyes sparkled in the dim light. They reminded me of Ireland with how vivid they were.

"Dinner?" he asked, leaning against the backdoor of his crew cab.

That would make two dinner dates in less than a week. My confidence was quickly escalating.

"Dinner sounds great," I agreed.

We exchanged numbers and I gave him my address, just as Selena had hoped, and I congratulated him once more before leaving.

On my way home I had to stop for gas and called Selena while I waited for the tank to fill.

"So guess what happened after you left." I was unable to wipe the grin off my face even though I was freezing my ass off.

There was a short pause on the other end, followed by a squeal that made me have to hold the phone away from my ear.

"Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!" she said excitedly.

I made a face as if she could see me. "You know how you wanted me to get Alex's number?"

"No way!" she exclaimed. "No fucking way! Oh my god! See what happens when you listen to me? I'm like a fairy godmother. I should be a matchmaker for a living."

I shook my head, putting the nozzle back on the pump.

"I didn't ask him," I said, earning a gasp from her. "We exchanged numbers because he asked me to dinner tomorrow night."

"Oh my god!" she squealed again and I was almost positive the man on the other side of the pump could hear her.

"I know. I know." I said, getting back in the car and turning the heat up. "I have to give you all the details the next day."

She giggled at the way I spoke her thoughts before she could. "You know me so well, Kate."

I got home about an hour later, just as it began to snow again. Well that's going to be so much fun to drive in in the morning, I thought to myself as I walked up the narrow path to my front porch.

Beside the front door was a medium sized black box addressed to me. I picked it up, unlocking my door and carrying the box to the kitchen.

A blush crept up my cheeks and my mouth turned up into a smile when I opened the box. There was a small note on top of two dozen red long stem roses.

Kate,

How do you feel about a boat ride on the Hudson? I hear the Christmas light displays are incredible. Friday night. 6:30.

Jesse

My heart was doing handsprings as I read over the note a couple more times. A boat ride on the Hudson to look at Christmas lights? That sounded amazing! I definitely wasn't going to pass that up!

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket, typing a quick message to Jesse.

"Thank you for the roses. You really made my day. And yes, I would love to go out Friday."

I spent the next twenty minutes hunting for a vase and then arranging the roses, smiling the whole time. I set the arrangement on my kitchen table and stood there, admiring the way it looked until my phone vibrated, signaling a new message.

"You're very welcome. See you Friday, beautiful."

He made me feel so appreciated when he called me beautiful or sweetheart. I almost couldn't believe I'd been lucky enough to meet a man that attractive who wasn't a prick.

I heated up a quick dinner in the microwave while I waited for my neighbor, Kacey, to come over. She'd texted me earlier in the day asking if I wanted to have a movie night and I'd happily agreed, having not seen her in a couple weeks. We tried to have a movie night once a week and we were overdue.

Kacey came over just as I was finishing my dinner. She hugged me excitedly and we went to the living room to discuss everything that had happened since the last time we'd seen each other. I told her about Jesse and Alex, and she agreed with Selena's idea that I should keep my options open and get to know Alex, too. The more the girls mentioned it, the more I liked the idea. It seemed harmless. It wasn't like Jesse and I were dating or anything serious.

We watched movies until we both passed out on the couch, and I woke up the next morning, sprawled out across her lap while she watched the morning news. When I caught a glimpse of the time on the cable box, I realized I was running about an hour behind schedule, and with the fresh snow on the streets, I was sure to be late for work.

"Oh shit!" I panicked, leaping off the couch and hurrying to throw an outfit together and quickly shower.

Punctuality was a big deal to me, and even though Mandy never minded if we were late as long as we got our work done, it still made me feel unprofessional.

"I've got to get to work!" I said, my words running together as I halfway hugged Kacey and asked her to lock up for me when she left.

I'd known Kacey for three years and I trusted her with basically anything. Any time I went out of town to visit family, I'd always leave her in charge of my house. I'd given both Kacey and Selena spare keys and I didn't mind either of them coming over whenever they felt like it.

My work commute was normally about an hour and a half with traffic, but due to the rapidly falling snow and slick streets, I was forty-five minutes into that second hour. By the time I reached Union, New Jersey it occurred to me that I was in desperate need of new tires that I couldn't afford any time soon.

I pulled into the parking garage, relieved to be finished battling the streets for the time being, and jogged the entire way through the building to my office, probably making an idiot of myself to everyone I passed.

"There you are!" Joseph threw his hands in the air when I rushed into my office. "I've been looking everywhere for you. I thought you weren't going to show up."

I flopped down in my chair with a heavy sigh, trying to catch my breath from running in heels.

"The weather is terrible. The streets are terrible. The traffic is terrible. I need new tires." I panted between words.

Joseph cocked an eyebrow, leaning on my desk with his forearms.

"Are you okay, Kate?" he asked softly, a concerned look in his brown eyes.

When he wasn't being immature, Joseph could be a real sweetheart, and I liked that about him a lot.

I nodded slowly, covering my face with my hands.

"I'm good." My voice was muffled. "I'm so good."

"I see." He shook his head skeptically. "Well, Selena is dying to talk to you. She put me on Watch for Kate duty and I'm supposed to tell her when you're here."

I peeked at him through my fingers. "I'm not here."

Joseph chuckled, drumming his fingers on the edge of my desk before getting up and leaving. I was surprised when Selena didn't come bouncing into my office two minutes later. I assumed Joseph hadn't told her I was there yet.

I turned on my computer and started going through my emails. One caught my eye from Mandy. She'd sent it late the previous night after Kacey and I had fallen asleep.

My darlings,

As you all know, yesterday I spent a great deal of my time picking the most skilled writers from Now You Know to join our team at Satisfaction. I have chosen only four, and I know you will all join me in welcoming them to our happy little family!

Melissa Shultz is our new how-to writer. Carmen Gutierrez will be working on interviews with Alexis. Jennifer Lemons will be partnering up with Karen and Shawna for the expose. Alex Stephens will be in charge of music for our entertainment section.

I wish that you all form great new bonds and I look forward to watching your careers grow here at Satisfaction.

Mandy Cartwright

It was sad to think that eighty percent of the people interviewing the day before were unemployed at the moment. I hadn't realized Mandy was only hiring four people. Selena and I had thought she'd be giving several people a chance.

"Finally you're here!" Selena chirped, standing in my doorway.

Her long dark hair was down from its usual ponytail and I admired the shine and sleekness she always managed to get into it. My hair never cooperated that well.

I smiled, clicking out of my emails. "What's up?"

Selena leaned backwards, glancing down the hallway for a moment and then looking back to me. "He's here."

"Who he?"

"Alex," she grinned, clapping her hands quietly and looking around to make sure no one could see her childish excitement. "He's in Jarod's old cubicle. I said good morning to him earlier and he asked if you were here yet. He wants to see you!"

I got up, following her to the balcony. The way our office building was set up, there was a main floor where all the cubicles were and all the floors above it were only half the width of the building, creating balconies where we could look down and see everyone on the first floor.

I leaned against the glass ledge, trying not to be too obvious as I skimmed over the maze of four-foot-tall cubicle walls, spotting Alex at his computer.

"He looks busy," I said, chalking up Selena's "he wants to see you" statement as meddling on her part to get us together.

"But-"

I groaned, knowing she was going to keep pressing the issue.

"I'll go talk to him when we leave for lunch, how's that?" I raised my eyebrows, a hand on my hip.

My phone vibrated and I retrieved it from my pocket to see Alex Stephens flashing across my screen.

"Speaking of talking to him," Selena teased.

"Looking forward to tonight." His text read.

I smiled at the sweet gesture and turned my attention back to Selena who was looking at me but pointing toward the floor below us. I turned my head to see what she was pointing at and my face instantly flushed when I realized Alex was sitting in his office chair, staring at us with his arms crossed behind his head and a cheesy smirk on his face.

I gave a quick, awkward wave and retreated back into the comfort of my office.

Selena was grinning like a possum. "I told you he wanted to see you."

I decided to change the subject just to frustrate her.

"So I came home to twenty-four red roses last night," I said, feeling a light blush return to my cheeks. "From Jesse."

"Holy shit! That's so adorable! Oh my god!" Her eyes widened. "I wish a hot guy would send me roses!"

"He wants me to take a boat ride on the Hudson with him Friday night to look at the Christmas lights," I explained, envisioning what Friday night was going to be like.

She finally calmed down and crossed her legs in her chair. "That's really romantic. I wonder if he's going to ask you to be his girlfriend."

"On the second date?" I raised an eyebrow. I wasn't even sure if the first date was actually a date. "It seems a little soon."

"Well, duh. Shit kind of hits the fast track when you start off by fucking each other. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think it's awesome that you're finally getting some action. What's it been, twelve years? I was worried you might be growing cobwebs," Selena joked, trying not to burst into obnoxious laughter.

"I really hope no one heard you say that." I covered my face with my hands, feeling mortified at the thought of Alex possibly hearing her.

"I heard it!" Joseph called from his office two doors down, causing Selena to erupt into giggles.

Selena and I went to lunch together at McCrystal's again. It was her favorite restaurant because her grandma used to take her there all the time when she was little. We enjoyed pasta with a side of boy gossip and decided to call it a day early, going back to work only until two-thirty.

Sel insisted on going home with me to help me get ready for dinner with Alex. There was no use protesting, so I agreed, amused by her determination to be a matchmaker. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39K 1.6K 35
Cadee Singer and Max Tanner went through a lot in their lives before finding each other. After suffering from traumatic pasts, the last thing any of...
4K 173 17
"Do you know what it feels like to sweat in bed, Bailey? Have you ever felt your body giving out, but being so consumed that you don't want to stop?"...
142K 5.6K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
2.1M 56.4K 54
[COMPLETE] Soz this may be cringe, it was written very long ago A seemingly ordinary, working college girl meets a cool, undeniably sexy boy with m...