Hidden Hearts

By 52Mila52

*This is a fan fiction based off of C. L. Stone's Ghost Bird series. Sang Sorenson is a very perceptive girl... More

Chapter 1. The beginning
Chapter 2. She who sees everything
Chapter 3. She who says it all
Chapter 4. She who hears everything
Chapter 5. Mr. Blackbourne
AN: Just a quick explanation...
Chapter 6. Gabriel
Chapter 7. Victor
Chapter 8. Kota
Chapter 9. And so it begins... or not?
Chapter 10. She who disappeared like a ghost
Chapter 11. Back to the beginning
Chapter 12. The half-naked girlfriend
Chapter 13. Dead meat
Chapter 14. Group hug!
Chapter 15. Silas
Chapter 16. Storm
Chapter 17. Nathan
Chapter 18. Dogs and bitches
Chapter 19. Grumpy bear
Chapter 20. Dreams and wishes
Chapter 22. First day part II
Chapter 23. What one does for family
Chapter 24. Sleepover
Chapter 25. First kiss
Chapter 26. Dominatrix?
Chapter 27. Missions and Retribution
Chapter 28. Moving
Chapter 29. Toasts
Author's Note
Chapter 30. The Academy - Aware
Chapter 31. Academy - Present
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33. Fire
Chapter 34. Family
Chapter 35. Bonding
Chapter 36. Academy - Request
Chapter 37. Academy - Inside
Chapter 38. Stalker
Chapter 39. Laying down the law
Chapter 40. When truths come to light
Chapter 41. Shortie!!
Chapter 42. Girls
Chapter 43. Boot camp
Chapter 44. The end

Chapter 21. First day

8.3K 400 73
By 52Mila52

The drive to the college was slightly awkward. I kept feeling as if the boys were watching my every move but whenever I looked at them they were all staring straight ahead.

I didn't know what to think. Surely Luke hadn't told them about what we were doing in the room that morning...

I blushed again remembering and felt my chest squeeze in guilt. I tried to remind myself I had no reason to feel guilt. I might be falling for all of these boys but they didn't know that and I hadn't gotten in a romantic relationship with any of them.

Kissing Luke wouldn't have been a betrayal to the others.

Once we arrived and parked in the lot I jumped out of the car as if my seat was on fire, not waiting for Nathan to open my door.

The boys were all watching me warily now, no doubt sensing that my feelings were in a jumble.

We walked in silence through the parking lot and headed to the administration building. The college was composed by a series of three store buildings that looked all alike with a huge courtyard in the middle filled with trees and benches for the students to sit at. You had to go through the main doors of the administration to get access to the rest of the place.

The administration building was, rather obviously, where the administrators and teacher offices stayed. It was a little smaller than the others building, the main hallway that gave access to the rest of the campus was a straight, large and wide line, the linoleum floor was shining, the walls made of exposed bricks. The doors were huge and made of some dark wood, looking like the doors to an old fortress.

The southeast building housed all the laboratories of chemistry, physics, anatomy, microbiology, etc.

The southwest one was where you found the laboratories of dietary techniques, computer rooms, academies of gymnastics, the pool, and some classrooms.

The last building, in the middle of the last two, was the bigger one and it housed the rest of the classrooms, the auditoriums, the cafeteria, a stationery shop and the libraries.

The sports courts and open pool were behind the buildings with the cafeteria on the ground floor facing them with various tables and seats both on the inside and outside of the building.

Entering the main hallway for administration we walked quietly but quickly to the courtyard where we were supposed to meet the rest of the guys before class started.

Kota had told me that about 80% of the workers in this college were Academy and most of the students were members too so people weren't likely ask questions when I had another student, like Nathan, for a teacher.

Arriving at the courtyard I took in the sigh of Palm trees mixed with other plants like Oaks, Black Cherry tree and others I didn't recognize.

Sitting around a table in the courtyard were Victor, Gabriel, North and Silas. All the guys were dressed in long sleeved shirts on their favorite colors from very pricey brands, along with jeans and tennis shoes, keeping a casual/formal look. Luke must have changed his clothes while I was taking my shower because I remembered he'd been wearing all black when in my room.

I almost felt like a bun beside them, but tried to not let our differences in clothing bother me. I would buy new clothes when I could afford for them. The gifts I had bought for them would be my sole extravagance in quite a while.

Approaching the table the guys caught sight of us and all smiled. Victor immediately stood up and indicated I should sit between him and Gabriel on the bench, Kota, Luke and Nathan were sitting across from us, North and Silas were leaning against the trunk of a huge Oak that shadowed our table.

Gabriel and Luke were talking about the people who were walking by us, while Kota, Victor and Nathan talked about their classes and where they would all congregate for lunch.

North and Silas were having a discussion in Greek which I couldn't overhear no matter how much I strained my ears.

Checking my phone I saw I had a text from Owen.

Owen: Good morning, Darling. I'd like to apologize for Mr. Taylor's untimely presence in your room this morning. I hope you weren't too upset. The boys meant well.

So, someone had told Owen about Luke's sneaking into my room. I wondered what else he knew about and blushed. The conversation around me suddenly stopped and I looked up to see all the guys staring at me with curious smiles on their faces. My blush grew hotter and I asked "What?"

"Who are you talking with, Sang baby?" North asked, a slight edge to his voice.

Feeling a little confused at the how he was reacting I answered quietly. "Owen."

He looked a little relieved and curious at the same time. Gabriel drew my attention to him by suddenly asking "What was that stuffy guy saying to make you blush like that, Trouble?" he looked as confused and curious as the rest of the guys.

I suddenly realized that the boys didn't know Owen the same way I did. How was that possible? They had spent far more time with him than I. Was my image of him a mistake? Or did he change so much these past years that they didn't know he could be playful and lighthearted sometimes?

The thought of the little boy I had known losing that brightness he already had in so little amount made my heart squeeze. Victor's hand touching my shoulder drew me back to present. Turning to face him I saw a worried look had entered his eyes. He must have seen the pain that reflected in my face moments ago.

I smiled at him and he smiled back. Turning back to Gabriel I sent him a mock glare. "It seems that someone is been tattling to Mr. Blackbourne about my morning." I said, feeling a little peeved with the boys. They all flushed guiltily. Busted...

"I had to tell them, Cupcake." Luke said, looking at me pleadingly. "Your nightmare had me worried." he looked like a sad puppy, which was completely unfair because it made my anger vanish instantly.

"We just want to take care of you, sweetie." Kota added, his voice a couple of notches softer than his usual commanding tone.

Sighing I admitted "I didn't want you guys to think I was too much trouble." My voice trembled a little so I took a deep breath to better control my emotions. I had been strong and in control of myself for so long, but there was something about these boys that made me lower my walls and let them in, showing them everything. It was both terrifying and exhilarant.

Taking my hand in both of his, Victor said. "Taking care of you is never too much trouble, Princess. It is a pleasure." He then raised my hand to his mouth and kissed my fingers gently, setting a tingly feeling in my tummy. I blushed again. These boys were going to be the death of me...

I was saved by ringing of the first bell. Standing from my seat I took my bag and walked in the direction of the cafeteria. Most of the boys came with me since they also had classes on that building.

......

Entering my classroom I saw that it looked a little like a high-school classroom, with the chairs that had a little table attached to the arm at which one would perch a notebook precariously while trying to keep their pencils and pens from rolling to the ground. The only difference was the presence of a data show that the teacher would use to show his slides instead of using a blackboard.

Sitting in one of the chairs by the front of the room I watched as the class filled with other students. It was quite a varied group, with age varying from sixteen, like herself, to maybe thirty. Everyone who came inside sat down immediately and focused on their notebooks. They didn't look around at other students or try to start a conversation.

"Good morning, class." I heard Sean's ever playful voice say from the front of the room. He was standing beside his table smiling cheerfully at us, on hand at his hip the other holding a thick book.

He was dressed in a purple, long sleeved, shirt and black slacks with a black tie. His curly hair was falling everywhere in a mad mess and his green eyes, thought cheerful, were tired. He had bags under his eyes and his skin looked a little too pale to be healthy.

I frowned at him. He wasn't taking care of himself.

He looked at me and winked. I narrowed my eyes at him. If he thought he would escape a good lecture with playfulness he better think again...

He seemed to understand what I was thinking because he gulped and reached up with his free and to loosen his tie.

"Well, then. Today we are going to start on the muscular system..." he turned back to the class and started his lesson. His explanation about the muscular system was very through and he gave us quite a few references that we could use to study for his tests.

The class went by quickly and soon I was being ushered out of the classroom by the herd of students at my back, but before stepping out I shot Sean a look over my shoulder. In my eyes was the promise that we would talk later.

He looked nervous but smiled at me, nodding in agreement. I was getting good at this silent communication thing.

Meeting Kota in the hallway we walked together to the library. He had a free period that he would be spending there, doing research, and I had class with Ow... Mr. Blackbourne, I needed to remind myself of calling him Mr. Blackbourne while we were here. It was the proper thing to do and I knew how much Owen loved all things proper...

As we walked through the crowded hallways I asked him "Do you know how many hours Sean has had of sleep recently?"

Looking at me curiously he answered. "Not really. He and Mr. Blackbourne keep us updated about their academy missions but we don't talk much about personal matters unless it is on a family meeting."

I frowned at him. "Do you mean your relationship is strictly professional?"

Looking a little uncomfortable he said. "No. They are my brothers and I love and respect them. But... well, it is like they are our older brothers; the max authority of the family, the examples we all try to follow. We don't really mix together; they are in a whole different category." His voice had lost some of its command and he was almost whispering to me. I could see how much that situation bothered him. He clearly wanted to have a closer relationship with the two older boys but didn't know how to do it without stepping on someone toes. Owen was practically his boss on their team.

I understood what had happened. Owen, most likely, had put up a huge wall between him and the boys under the excuse that as the older brother he needed to keep some distance in order to keep his mask of control and efficiency. The truth was that he was afraid to let them in.

I would fix that as soon as I fixed Sean's sad disinterest in his own health. My boys needed help and I wouldn't turn my back on them. I wondered how the others were faring... I used to think that once their family problems were resolved the rest would fall in place but maybe I was mistaken. I would need to pay more attention.

Turning back to Kota I saw in his eyes the understanding of my intentions. This smart boy could read me like a book and knew exactly what I was plotting.

He smiled at me in approval. He liked that I would try to bring his family closer together and promised, with his eyes, that he would give me any help I required.

I gave him my best smile. I was so happy he was accepting my help. I always wanted to help them, these amazing boys who had such a big hearts. They deserved all the happiness in the world.

We walked the rest of the way in companionable silence. Two people determined to fight for what they believed and support each other in their battles. They both knew they could always count on each other for support.

He would be my backbone and I would be his passion.

......

Reaching the library Kota step ahead to open the door for me. I smiled in thanks and walked inside, pausing for moment to take in the sights and smells of the place. I had always loved libraries, and this one I knew would be one of my favorites.

The bookshelves were made of dark wood, high and wide, containing books of all kinds. Small worlds were in this magical place, just waiting to be explored.

I appreciated the ease that technology gave us when we wanted to read a story but nothing brought me more pleasure than having a real book in my hands.

The place smelled of books and wax, as if the wood floor had been waxed recently. The lighting was perfect for reading without impairing the vision. The atmosphere was composed of tables with comfortable chairs, armchairs and even a chaise lounge next the large windows that were on one side of the room.

I step inside the room along with Kota and we headed to the back, where little rooms where located for group study.

Seeing an open door I checked in and saw Owen sitting in a chair in front of a round table with about five other chairs around it. I signaled for Kota to go ahead to whenever he need go and he nodded at me with a smile before disappearing between the bookshelves.

Turning back to the little room I saw that the table was almost empty, if not for the small stack of papers that were to one side of Owen's elbow.

He seemed to be engrossed in the book he was reading. Holding it with both hands, his elbows on the table keeping the book lifted so I could clearly see the title "The adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Knocking lightly on the door I waited until his steel grey eyes meet mine before greeting him.

"Mr. Blackbourne" I said with a smile, stepping into the room and closing the door behind myself. I knew these rooms were made soundproofed so groups of students could discuss about their studies freely without the worry of bothering the other students on the library.

He smiled his usual one millimeter smile at me and said, "Miss Sorenson." before putting down his book and standing up to pull a chair for me to sit.

I sat down with a murmured thanks and watched as he seated himself. Owen Blackbourne was always perfection, his hair perfectly put in place, his face smooth and free of any facial hair, his clothes perfectly pressed, without a single wrinkle.

Today, however, he was even more handsome. Since I had come back whenever I saw him he was wearing a dark gray suit with a white shirt and a red tie. This time, thought, he had on grey pants, a wine colored shirt and a black tie, much like the one Sean had been using this morning. I wondered for a moment if he was using his best friend's clothes.

Reaching for the stack of papers on the table he said "I know that you have a interest on learning about different cultures, my darling. That's why I did some research and brought you these articles about different civilizations. I've also selected a few very interesting books you may read from this library."

Smiling in thanks at him I reached for the articles and started reading the first one "The Kota Society, from the Nilgiri Hills in South India."

I almost laughed at the name, who would think there was once a society named "Kota"?

Controlling my urges I started to read the article while Owen went back to his book. The plan was for me to read a little and then we would talk and discuss about our opinions while sharing knowledge. It wasn't really a class, but more like a form of me researching more about something that interested me while spending more time with someone who I adored but rarely got to see.

"The Kotas were neighbors of the famed Todas on the Nilgiri Plateu. They are agriculturists, but also artisans and musicians. Theirs interests much more varied than that of the Todas, whose whole culture revolves around the buffalo care.

They possess a kinship system that reflects in all spheres. Brothers who live under the same roof share their responsibilities, their workload and their financial gains equally. On this society it is also common the sharing of one's wife..."

My eyes widened in shock and I re-read the same paragraph. Sharing of one's wife... Sharing of one's wife... Sharing of one's wife...

I felt like a broken record. Taking hold of my turbulent emotions I kept my head lowered to the table, as if I was still concentrating in my reading, and raised only my eyes to watch what Owen was doing.

I had feeling I knew exactly why he'd chosen this article for me to read. Owen Blackbourne never did anything without ulterior motives after all... my heart was beating at double its normal speed.

Very subtle, Owen... not.

He was sitting on his chair with his back perfectly straight, his eyes focused intensely on the book before him, which he was back to holding in front of him, with his hands raised, permitting me to see the cover.

It took me a couple of minutes to understand what it was about the scene that was nagging at me. When I realized what had gotten my attention I almost laughed, the effort to holding in my giggles making me shake lightly on my chair. His book, which he was concentrating so much on, was upside down.

Oh my God, Owen... if the boys could see you now... Sean would never let you live this down...

Taking a deep breath to contain my urge to giggle I raised my head to face him and asked. "Are you trying to tell me something, Mr. Blackbourne?"

He sighed and put his book down, looking very dignified. I tried hard not to smile.

"As it happens, my darling, yes, I am." He looked me straight in the eye, his hands going up to fix his already straight tie. "I know I wasn't very subtle with my choice of article, but I know from experience that you tend to go through life with the speed of a jet and I didn't want to be left behind." Pausing he looked down for just a second before raising his eyes back to mine, his face expressionless even while his eyes showed uncertainty. "I thought that going straight to the point would be the best way to get the desired results."

"Huuummm..." I hummed. This matter was a very delicate one. The thought of being in a relationship with all of the boys, being part of their family, was everything I wanted, and I was happy that Owen seemed to be proposing such an arrangement. But what was it he was offering me? A relationship with all of his team including Silas and North? Was such a thing even acceptable? What did the other boys think about this? I feared the answer.

And then there was the fact that Owen Blackbourne was interested in me... Me! At least I thought he was, if he was the one proposing I go into a polyandrous relationship. Certainly that's what he meant.

Owen takes a deep breath Owen and asks me, his smooth voice gentler than I had ever heard before. "Would you be willing to give a try at an relationship with us all, Sang? To become a part of our family?"

I smile at him. "I would."

......

I hadn't told my brothers that I would talk with Sang about our future today. I hadn't really planned this at all, actually, my choice of giving her that article having been completely spontaneous. I wasn't used with doing spontaneous things and it made me very nervous because it gave me too little control over the whole situation.

Wanted to know what she thought about us, however. I knew it was still soon, that even if all my brothers had agreed to the plan not all of them were completely in love with her yet. But I couldn't help myself.

The craving to have this girl in my life was growing every day. I needed her. My whole family needed her, even if some of them didn't know it yet.

I sat in this chair for hours while waiting for her arrival from Sean's class, the book open in front of me no more than a cover for my distracted mood.

When she came to the door and greeted me with a formal "Mr. Blackbourne" I felt my heart settle a bit. Then when I gave her the papers for her to read I felt it speed up again to its former, mad beat.

Picking up my book I couldn't even see the words on the page in front of me, only her face and the various scenarios that could happen unraveling before my eyes. Most of them weren't happy ones.

When she lowered the papers after reading for a few minutes and looked at me with a black look, like she was trying very hard to hide some emotion, I felt my heart squeeze. But I went on with my quickly made up plan, I had no choice now. I would convince her to give us a chance if this was the very last thing I did on this earth.

She smiled at me, that incredible smile that always made my world tip on its axis, the shadows that seemed to live in her eyes perpetually leaving temporally letting the deep green color shine with acceptance and happiness. It calmed my fears instantly.

Needing to make sure, I ask. "What about me?" I couldn't help my insecurities. I might be completely confident in many fronts, but when it came to matters of the heart I went back to being that insecure child who had lost the only person to love him.

She reached out with one hand, her fingers trailing over my cheek in a caress. "I love you, Owen Blackbourne." I closed my eyes and sighed in relief. Picking up her hand I kissed her fingers, one at a time before telling her "I love you too, Darling."

......

AN: I'm not sure what college life is like in your country. I've used my own as an example for this, and my university only offers courses in the health areas. I hope you don't feel too lost and confused. 

Also, I didn't plan for Owen and Sang to confess their love right now, but the man was getting impatient and it is hard to deny Mr. Blackbourne's orders... so, there it is... Opsieee... ;P

Oh, and the Kota society did exist, but I might have changed a few facts... I was too lazy to research something that completely fit my fantasies...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.9K 1K 41
Sang Sorenson is 16 years old she lives in Sunnyvale, Charleston SC. She still has abusive mother and sister while her father is neglectful but only...
113K 10.9K 39
Everybody knows the cast of Ghost Bird- the hit TV show has brought them from relative anonymity to media fame. For the past two seasons, Ghost Bird...
31.3K 2.3K 17
**COMPLETED** Sang Sorenson has finally found her pack. She has finally found a home. She is excited to be going to high school with the others but w...
269K 14.5K 34
Sang Sorensen has not had an easy life. In her almost sixteen years on this earth, she has spent more days than not locked away in the dark. Her nigh...