Pacifier

By simplysimpatico

Eleanor Harding moved to Llandudno with her mum after the divorce of her parents. Her mum was no role model s... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
โ€ขAUTHORS NOTEโ€ข
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 10

513 12 16
By simplysimpatico

"Come on Harper, wake up."

"Shut up."

"We are leaving in ten minutes."

"Go ahead."

"There's going to be no food left for you."

"What? Right Jesus, I'm up now."

Harper had turned out to be the worst morning person alive. However at 5:47am, I don't think anyone was a good one.

"Why are we up at this shitty hour?" She huffed, throwing a black beanie over her messy and unbrushed hair.

Ade chuckled, "Bondy got up for McDonalds breakfast, decided to start the day off early."

"Well he sucks for that."

Whilst Harper got ready I double French braided my hair, dabbed some concealer on my face and added a small amount of mascara. I probably looked dead but I was past caring.

Today I had went with one of my old maroon hoodies, black jeans with ripped knees and white converse. The jeans were probably impractical for what we were going to end up doing today but I refused to wear anything else.

Sleepily, I climbed out of the tent and took a seat on the ground around the dying fire.

"Alright love?" Larry smirked as he approached the fire.

"I'm class." I mumbled, yawning into the sleeve of my hoodie.

He chuckled before dropping down beside me. "I drank a bit too much last night and I'm sorry about the dare I gave Van."

"Nah it's sweet, 'sall just a bit of fun."

In all honesty, the entire thing had played on my mind all night. I felt these feelings that were more than what you'd expect from just a friend.

It was eating away at me but what could I possibly do? This was something I needed to keep quiet and forget about. It was a dare and that was that, feelings don't count.

As I drowned in my thoughts, everyone emerged from their tents and dug into the food. I wasn't feeling up to eating this early so I grabbed a bottle of water and listened to the conversations around me.

"What's the plan for today Bondy?" Ade grinned.

I had only noticed that the sky was still dark, the fire illuminated everyone's faces but behind that, there was nothing.

"Exploring, then at night we should play hunt or something fun like that."

Hunt. I remember playing it back in Liverpool. Hopefully my version wasn't much different. In Allerton you got split into teams and one team picked a word, giving each member a letter which meant the other team had to hunt down everyone and get all of the letters to figure out the word.

It used to get pretty violent, especially if you were too stubborn to give your letter up.

"Can't wait." Bob smiled.

He was a pretty quiet guy, Bondy calls him the mysterious one.

After scoffing all of the food Benji made a day plan and began going over it. Basically we were going to go on a walk, take some photos, mess around for a couple of hours and come back to the camp for food. After that it was hunt.

"Sounds exciting." Harper yawned.

Everyone pulled themselves off the ground and began to follow Bondy who was leading the walk.

I couldn't help but look around for Van, he was hanging low at the back with Larry. They were talking about something so I thought it was best just to stay out of it.

Ade linked an arm with my own and looked over her shoulder.

"Think they're talking about you?" She whispered.

"Why would they be?" I shrugged.

"Well Van tells Larry everything n he's bound to be confessing his love for you right now."

I nudged her playfully as my cheeks turned crimson.

"He doesn't love me Ade, he hasn't known me that long to love me."

"Van falls in love pretty quick, I've saw it before. But yeah, I get your point." She nodded.

Love was a scary concept to me. I grew up infatuated with the idea that somebody was going to show compassion and fondness to me, like in the movies or how my parents used to be.

But after my mum and dad got divorced, it ruined the idea of love for me. How could two people that were so attached and endearing towards each other just stop feeling that way?

They went from holding hands to holding pens to sign divorce papers, cuddling on the sofa to arguing over who got to take the sofa and adoring each other to rolling their eyes when another spoke.

I love you's turned into goodbyes.

If love was this real and amazing long lasting thing, why could it stop in a matter of seconds?

"But El, love isn't about how long a persons been together or around each other. Feelings are louder and bigger."

This wasn't love. Maybe a crush or a strong liking, but I just couldn't see it as something that powerful. I hoped that if Van did feel anything, it was similar to me.

The walk continued and I shrugged any thought from my mind. The air was refreshing, and cold, but very refreshing.

Bondy started talking to Ade so I walked up to where Harper was. They definitely had something going on that I didn't feel like third wheeling on.

"Alright my love?" She chuckled as I approached.

"Yeah, I'm good."

We startled talking about silly things which lead to us constantly doubling over in laughter. Harper always had funny things to say, she knew how to make people laugh and that was my favourite quality of hers.

Time practically flew and soon enough everyone was knackered. Bondy wanted to push on but Benji and Larry refused, having what they called a peaceful protest by sitting on the ground.

Ade was with Bondy and Harper was with Larry so I felt kind of out of place. Not that I didn't feel close to any of the other lads, Benji and Bob had just walked off to try and get reception on their phones.

I stared at the ground in a daze until I noticed someone sit beside me.

"Alright love?"

I didn't really expect Van to be anywhere near me, I guessed that he was probably just embarrassed or summit. I couldn't blame him.

"Yeah I'm good, yourself?"

Van drummed his fingers lightly against his thigh, "I'm sorry if I made things awkward last night." He blurted out.

"You didn't." I chuckled, "it was jus' a dare."

His shoulders slouched a little but he looked slightly relieved.

"Although I gotta ask, was I a good kisser?"

For once I didn't go red, I liked when Van came out with cocky but also jokey statements like that.

"Hmm, I don't know kinda felt like a washing machine going on in there." I smirked.

His face dropped, "shit seriously? I'm such a di-"

"Van, I was joking." I interrupted.

A small chuckle fell from his lips as he stared at the ground.

"Good."

For once an awkward silence fell upon us and I hated it. He didn't know what to say and I didn't either.

Thankfully Larry got involved.

"Someone tell Harper that Mexican is not a language!"

"It so is you dork, they're hardly going to speak Japanese or shit like that in Mexico."

Harper wasn't the brightest bulb in a pack, her personality made up for it though.

"Do they not mostly speak Spanish?" Van shrugged.

For someone who didn't have the best attendance at school, he sure as hell knew his stuff.

"Oh whatever." She gave up, sitting down beside myself.

Larry got down beside Van and I honestly think they purposefully squished up, edging me closer to Van and vice-versa.

"Nice atmosphere down 'ere, isn't it Harper?" Larry smirked.

"I know Larry, you'd think they'd sleep together or summat." She chuckled, "it was jus' a kiss. Don't let it make things awkward for ya both."

I felt like I was in a group counselling session. Forced to be close with another person and get over any issue.

Harper was right. It was just a kiss, a dare in fact. Why let it ruin a good friendship?

"We're class lids, only issue I got is that apparently I have a serious case of washing machine syndrome." Van chuckled, bumping his shoulder against mine.

"I was kidding-Or was I?" I smirked.

Relief surged throughout me when a genuine smile formed on his lips. I had begun to be able to tell Vans fake and real smiles apart.

When he needed to force a grin, they were closed-mouthed and his eyes didn't light up. However when he was actually smiling, he was all teeth and lit up eyes.

Van claimed to dislike his teeth but they were one of the many things I liked about him. To me, the fact that they weren't perfectly straight or pearly white made him more real.

I've always been told that I see the perfect in others so-called imperfections.

"How about we head back for food? I'm starving." Bondy suggested, walking over to where we were standing with Ade on his arm.

Everyone agreed so Larry and Van tried to find where Benji and Bob had ran off too but after fifteen minutes of nothing, they decided just to text and meet them back at camp.

Larry thankfully had remembered the way back so we didn't get too lost and end up starving to death in the middle of nowhere.

"Sometimes I'm thankful you was a Boy Scout or whatever they call it." Van smirked, ruffling Larry's hair.

"Firstly I was a youth organisation leader not a Boy Scout, and secondly, don't touch my hair."

Van raised his hands in defence before taking a seat where the fire had most definitely died.

Bondy and Ade passed around fizzy drinks, sweets and crisps. It wasn't the most nutritious meal I've ever eaten, but it definitely tasted good.

"Where's Benji and Bob?" I asked after taking a gulp from my Coke tin.

Larry looked at his phone before shrugging, "they 'avent messaged me back."

"Shouldn't we be slightly more worried? I mean they're probably lost right now." Ade bit her lip.

"Let's go look for them." Bondy decided, standing up and brushing the crumbs off his lap.

Bondy and Ade had slightly remembered their way around so took Harper with them to go look. Since Van and I were completely clueless and paid no attention to the path we took, Larry appointed himself as our guide.

The sky was turning dark so we grabbed torches and started the search for the lads.

"I wonder where they got off too." Larry thought out loud, shiny his torch left and right.

"I dunno, but you're not going to miss them with their big afros." Van chuckled.

We walked around for what felt like ages. Larry had kept an eye on his phone but had received no word so continued to look.

"It's bloody baltic." Larry shivered, pulling his hood up.

"Yeah it's freezing." I crossed my arms trying to hold in warmth.

Van immediately slipped off his black denim jacket and held it out to me.

"Ere take it, I'm sweating in this hoodie." He fanned himself with one hand, the other holding the jacket in my direction.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, it goes better with your outfit." Van smirked.

Usually I'd put up more of a fight but I was beyond too cold to turn down his offer.

I quickly slipped it on and rolled up the sleeves slightly. It had a scent attached of cheap cologne, ciggies and breath mints. Vans signature scent.

Couldn't say I didn't like I though.

"You wouldn't even let me borrow 'at jacket yesterday, I see 'ow it is." Larry huffed.

"Don't take it personally lid." Van smirked, patting Larry's shoulder.

Larry and Van had a somewhat adorable friendship. They'd known each other for years and years so were closer than close. So far I'd only witnessed them fighting twice, over silly things like food and Van losing one of Larry's bandanas. They couldn't stay mad at each other for more than an hour because they'd just look at each other and laugh.

The more we walked, tiredness washed over me. I was prone to always being knackered but could usually keep my eyes open until I got to bed, this however was a different story.

"You good?" Van asked, noticing how I gradually got slower than them and my eyes needed glued open.

"Jus' tired." I smiled.

Late nights and early starts mixed with lots of walking was a recipe for disaster in my mind.

Vans face looked thoughtful until he had an eureka moment like in Horrid Henry.

"Wanna piggyback?" He smiled.

Soft laughter escaped my lips. Vans offer was thoughtful but I didn't want to break his back tonight.

"An' before you say some shit like you gonna crush me or summit, you won't. You sat on me knee before, remember?" Van smirked.

Sometimes it felt as if he was in my brain.

"Gowan then." I chuckled sleepily.

Larry stopped and shone a torch in our direction providing more light as Van bent down slightly so there wasn't much height difference. I felt a little weird hooking my legs around Vans waist and my arms around his shoulders but did it nevertheless.

He jumped up a little and put his arms under my thighs for the extra support.

"See? Wouldn't even think you was on me back." He smirked.

A smile spread on my lips.

"Cute." Larry chuckled.

I looked up at him only to notice that he had his phone out and seemed to be either recording or taking pictures

"Say hi to snapchat."

I practically buried my head into the crook of Vans neck just to avoid the camera and could feel the vibrations surge throughout him as he laughed.

"I'll just take photos and vids without telling you's next time." Larry chuckled, finally putting his phone away.

Larry played some Little Comets tunes as we walked around until I felt tiredness take over and my eyes shut.

-Van

As Bridge Burn started I came to the conclusion that El had fallen asleep as she was silent and I could feel her soft breaths on my neck.

"Turn it down a bit Larry." I whispered.

Larry turned around to face me before noticing why I asked. The sound diminished until it barely existed.

"Never seen you offer your jacket and a piggyback to a girl in one day." Larry smirked.

"Shut up." I sighed although a smile remained etched into my lips.

"Oi I'm not making fun, actually think it's cute. Haven't seen you this affectionate towards anyone before."

I honestly couldn't put a finger on why I was like this with El. I mean, the day I saw her I knew I wanted to get to know her. She has these captivating green eyes that make you want to know more. Not to mention the fact that she was absolutely stunning, I couldn't deny that even if I wanted to. She didn't even have to try, her beauty was effortless.

That day in the park, when she told me about her parents situation, I felt closer than ever with her. Then when I found out about Kyle I felt the need to be around her, protect her if I could.

I wanted to be the familiarity and fondness that she lacked in her life.

After Larry's dare I thought I had ruined everything, especially because I felt something that she more than likely didn't.

I guess that I liked her, I mean I knew that I liked her, probably more than what I thought.

"I don't really know what I'm doing mate." I sighed hopelessly.

"Look, you know I'm always going to be straight with you. She's going through a lot right now, El isn't as safe as she wasn't to be." He began.

"Either way I know you're going to be there for her, but if you really do have feelings for her that you're willing to share, you've got to be 110% in."

I allowed Larry's words to sink in. El was able to put up such a front that even had me sort of forgetting about what was going on with Kyle. She jus' always looked so happy that you'd never think anything was up.

I cared about El, a lot. I understood that I probably was landing myself right in it if I told her how I felt, she might not even feel the same.

My thoughts were just a mess.

Larry's phone began to vibrate until he picked it up and put it to his ear.

"Ello. Yeah? Mhmm. Tell them their idiots. Alright bye." He chuckled, hanging up. "Bondy found 'em discussing their wills and engraving their names into a big tree."

"Let's head back 'en."

We walked back in silence for a while, the only sound being Larry's teeth chattering. I was pretty warm, El had heated up and her warm breaths fanned against my neck. It kinda gave me goosebumps but I ignored them.

"Van, if you like her go for it. I can tell she likes you, already talked to Harper about it. I've got your back mate."

Relief washed over me. Weirdly, having Larry's approval for things made me feel a lot better about doing them. He's known me long enough to tell when I'm doing something that's gonna benefit me or jus' be a disaster. He looks out for me and I do the same for him.

"What about you an Harper en? You obviously like her." I smirked at a now blushing Larry.

"Nah, think she's into Benji."

"I dunno Larry, Benji is into Ivy Knolls in our form class."

"I know but-I don't really know."

Larry had always been shy when it came to girls. He was convinced nobody liked him like that but in reality, there was plenty of girls that liked him.

Eventually the newly lit camp fire came into site and everyone around it.

"Alright lads! Wait is that El?" Ade cheered.

"She was knackered." I shrugged softly, trying not to wake her.

"Bless her, think everyone is tired. How about we have a nap or chill break and then we play hunt." Harper smiled.

"Where do I put her?" I stood awkwardly.

Admittedly, I didn't mind having her this close. But I didn't want to look like a weirdo or summit just holding her.

"Get her in front if the fire, it's baltic in the tents." Bondy suggested.

Nodding, I softly shifted her around and lowered the both of us until we gently hit the ground. I leant her up against a beanbag although when I began to let go, she turned and latched onto me like her life depended on it.

A girl had never held onto me and I was probably blushing like a fucking idiot but I couldn't help it.

"You're gonna have to stay put now." Bondy winked.

I could feel El shift slightly, laying her head on my chest and an arm around my stomach. My eyes travelled up to a smirking Bondy and Ade who where signalling me to put my arm around her.

I guess it made things look less awkward.

"Nap time kids." Benji yawned, laying on the ground like a pencil and immediately falling asleep.

I watched around me as everyone slowly began to fall into what I call a knackered state. First asleep was Benji, then Bob, not too long later Larry and Harper were down then fell Bondy and Ade.

Last but certainly not least, Van McCann.

A/N

I hope you are all good my lovelies! Sort of added a cute moment between Van and El, wonder what happens next😉

The lads have started their UK tour and I really hope they come to where I live! Has anyone got tickets already or planning to if they come near ya?

X X X

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 54.9K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
158K 7.4K 52
Four siblings, two elder brothers and two younger sisters living with their rich parents!! Get ready to enter the life of these siblings and their fa...
1M 18.3K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
962K 36.4K 87
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...