Forsaken Deity

saturn137 tarafından

[2013 Watty Finalist] Thea Gibson lives a normal life. She waitresses at her local bar, pays her bills on ti... Daha Fazla

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue

Chapter 18

47.7K 2.2K 189
saturn137 tarafından

“I don’t understand,” Thea said as she paced next to the closed door. “Why is her time up now?”

Persephone sat calmly in a chair near the door, hands folded demurely in her lap. “When Hermes brought Shae here, I asked him to hold off on deciding her fate. He said you were having trouble with her death and I thought it would be good for you to see her before she moves on.”

“Shae told me something similar. Can’t she stay longer, though?”

“Only if she decides to stay here permanently. Her soul is pure and Hades knows she is an innocent. Given the circumstances surrounding her death though, he is giving her the choice to drink from Lethe. It’s not something he offers to people on a whim, Thea. It’s a rare chance; some souls wait millennia for the opportunity to have another chance at life. Personally, I think she would be a fool to stay here.”

Thea stopped pacing. “I know that. I mean, she deserves to live. It’s just…“

“It’s hard to say goodbye?” Persephone finished softly.

Thea nodded, eyes stinging with unshed tears. “I’m not good at this stuff, Persephone. I barely managed to say goodbye at her funeral. How am I meant to do it again face to face?”

Persephone stood up and pulled her into her small arms. “I know it’s hard for you, Thea but you need to stay strong for Shae. Deep down she must be terrified right now. She’s known this was coming since you arrived but she kept a smile on her face so you wouldn’t worry. Now it’s your turn to do the same.”

The door opened and they moved apart as Hades stepped out. He placed a hand on Persephone’s shoulder, his gaze firm, before walking away. Thea rushed in and saw Shae standing by the window. She smiled as they approached but it was fearful and unsure. She touched Shae’s arm. “What did he say?”

“He was very kind,” she said quietly. “He’d already told me what my options were when I arrived. Today, I had to make my choice.”

Thea’s shoulders tensed. “What choice did you make?”

Shae, released a shaky breath, staring out the window. “I chose to drink from the River Lethe.” She paused and faced Thea, eyes filled with worry. “Do you think I made the right choice?”

Thea wanted to cry but she held it in and put a smile on her face. “Definitely. Just think of all those hot men who would be deprived of you if you stayed here?”

Shae laughed but her heart wasn’t in it. “So true. I can’t stay here. The only hot guys I’ve seen so far are Hades and Hermes, and they’re both taken.”

Thea wanted to correct her but knew this wasn’t the time. “How long do you have?”

“Hades is giving me time to say goodbye and then we’re leaving.”

“What?” Thea started. “You don’t get a couple of days or…?”

Shae shook her head. “No, I didn’t want to wait. I was afraid I’d chicken out. Thea, can I ask a favour? Would you mind coming with me? Hades said you can but I understand if you don’t want to -”

“No, I’ll go with you.” She looked at Persephone. “If Hades said it’s all right, I can, right?”

“Yes. You won’t be able to get close to the river, though. The closer you get, the more your memories begin to fade. Remember to stick close to Hades and you’ll be fine.”

“You’re not coming?”

She shook her head. “I can’t. I have duties I must perform here. I wish I could but someone must be here to greet the souls who seek counsel today. I will do this in Hades stead until he returns.”

She gave Shae a bone crushing hug. “I am so happy to have met you, Shae. You have a lovely soul and I hope it’s a long time before your soul crosses into our realm again.”

Shae hugged her back. “Thank you, for everything.”

Persephone walked with them out into the front hall. Hades was waiting for them and Hermes stood next to him. His face was solemn and she guessed he’d heard the news. Shae went to Hermes and gave him a quick hug, whispering something in his ear which made him smile. “I think I can manage that. Good luck, Shae. No more flirting with strangers.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yes, Dad. Thank you, and take care of Thea.”

Thea looked at him. “Aren’t you coming?”

“No, I have to check out something in the mortal realm. There’s been reports of disturbances near Mt Olympus. I’ll be back later tonight. Will you be all right?”

She glanced at Shae who was standing near Hades. She looked pale, her eyes on her hands. “I’ll be fine,” she told Hermes quietly. “I’ll see you tonight.”

Walking over to Shae, she took her hand and they headed out. Hades took the lead as they passed through a side gate to the palace. It was hidden behind some vines and she saw a flash of annoyance on his face as he brushed them aside. It seemed he wasn’t completely happy with what Persephone had done to his home. Even though it was a sad moment, Thea couldn’t stop the small smile on her face at Hades expression.

They walked in silence down a worn path in the Asphodel Fields. It was small, just wide enough for two people to walk side by side. Yellow grass grew along the edges, small red flowers struggling to break through the weeds. Shae’s hand trembled in her own and Thea tightened her grip. She wanted to find a quiet corner somewhere and cry but she kept it just below the surface. She wanted to be strong for Shae.

Hades glanced back occasionally to make sure they were keeping up and when he did, Thea would send him a smile, though it felt more like a grimace. They passed few souls. Those that they did pass kept their gazes averted. She sensed their fear of the God and wondered why they feared him when he was kind to them. She would have to ask Persephone about that.

The field began to fade and ahead, she could see a river beginning to form. Her throat closed up. She wanted to pull Shae away, keep her for a few more moments. She had just gotten her friend back -she didn’t want to say goodbye again so soon.

Shae’s grip tightened and Hades stopped, reaching out and placing his hand on Thea’s shoulder. “You need to stay in contact with me from now on, Thea. Being near the river is enough to make you forget so you can venture no further.”

She nodded.

“From here, Shae must go on alone.”

Shae trembled and Thea gripped Hades arm. Her throat was thick but she tried to stay happy. Shae looked at Thea, her eyes uncertain.

“I don’t know if I can do this,” she whispered. “I’m scared.”

Before Shae could see her tears, Thea grabbed her with her free arm and hugged her. “Don’t be afraid,” she whispered. “It will be fine. You’re getting another chance, Shae. Don’t be scared - be as amazing as you’ve always have been. And if you find someone like me again, make sure to drag me to as many parties as possible. I may complain but if I’m spending time with you, it’s always fun. A girl like me needs a friend like you in her life.”

Shae nodded and they stayed that way, both too afraid to let go. “Remember what I said about being in denial,” Shae murmured. “Shove those feelings aside and just go for it!”

After a few minutes, Hades made a small noise and they pulled apart. Shae’s eyes glistened with tears and she shot Thea a broken smile.

“Bye, and good luck, Thea. I love you.”

“I love you too, crazy girl. Good bye, Shae.”

She turned and walked to water’s edge, her steps slow and heavy. She hesitated before crouching down and Thea’s vision blurred as her tears flowed over. Hades hand on her shoulder tightened gently and she gripped it, her own hand shaking as she watched Shae cup some water in her hands.

She stared at it for a moment, before her eyes closed. She sat like that for a few minutes, her face becoming calm. Finally, her eyes opened and her shoulders straightened as she sipped the water. Her body began to glow and become transparent. She turned to look at them and gave them a bright smile, a look of peace stealing over her as her body began to fade, turning into small orbs of light floating into the sky as her soul disappeared, ready to start anew.

When the last orb had faded into the sky, Thea’s legs collapsed and Hades caught her. “Are you all right?”

“Sorry. I’ll be fine.” she said quietly.

“Come.”

He led her away from the river and she followed like a zombie. Her feet were like lead and she felt numb after watching Shae fade away. It hurt but she knew it was a good thing - Shae would be living again. Thea knew, though, that there was no way of knowing if they would ever meet again and without her, she had no friends. Apart from the Gods, she didn’t have anyone. Matt had always been good to her but he had his own family. Her own were long gone and for the first time, she felt a little bit like Lissandre.

Gods that was depressing.

They got back to the palace and Hades left her in her room. He didn’t say a word and shut the door behind him. She sat on the edge of her bed, wanting to do something to forget why she was here. She wanted to do something normal, human.

Persephone walked in a few minutes later and she guessed that Hades had relieved her from her duties. She sat beside her, tucking a loose strand of hair behind Thea’s ear. “Oh, Thea. Are you all right?”

She shook her head and Persephone hugged her, crushing the air from her lungs. “Can I get you anything?”

“Yeah.” She pulled away from Persephone. “What have you got to drink around here?”

*                             *                             *                             *                             *

“What is in this stuff?”

Persephone watched her in amusement. “It’s just wine, Thea. Dionysus made it himself. It’s not usually this effective - I’m thinking it might not be meant for humans…”

“Oh no, it’s definitely made for humans - this shit is awesome!” Thea gasped, clasping her hand to her mouth as she staggered. “Shit, I didn’t mean to swear. Sorry.”

“It’s all right, let me take that –“

She tried to pry the glass from Thea’s hands but Thea yanked it out of reach, the red liquid sloshing everywhere. “You don’t take a girl’s happy juice! It’s an important rule.”

“Who made a rule like that?”

“Shae did.”

They fell quiet and Thea’s vision blurred as she quickly downed what was left in her glass. The room was spinning but she didn’t care. It had been fun drinking the day away and she hadn’t thought about anything until Persephone had brought up Shae. Reaching for the table, she clung to it for dear life as the room tilted and she threatened to keel over.

“Thea, what are you doing?”

“Trying to stay upright. This room won’t stop moving.” She looked at Persephone, who seemed to be swaying. “Did you know, I never knew how to say Persephone until I watched Firefly? I think they must have named you after the planet on that show.”

“I think you’ll find it’s the other way around, dear,” Persephone answered wryly.

“Are you sure? Because I have a feeling it’s the way I said it. Oh man, I wish I had a Malcolm Reynolds in my life. He was the best Brown Coat ever! Damn the alliance! They ruined everything!”

“I don’t know what you are talking about but I think you’ve had enough, Thea.”

“Maybe you’re right,” she slurred. “Imma go to my bed now. Night.”

“Do you need a hand?”

“Nah nah, I got this! I ain’t a baby! I know where my room is.”

“Are you sure?”

“As sure as I am that this room is spinning.”

She heard a sigh and Persephone headed for the door. “I’m going to bed. I’ll go and get ready and come back to make sure you found your way back.”

Thea staggered after her, hands tracing the wall as she made her way to the door. She saw Persephone walk up the stairs and disappear around the corner. Reaching the base, she looked up. The stairs suddenly seemed of Everest proportions.

“I think I need a Sherpa,” she mumbled. “I wonder if the soul of one is hanging around here…”

Too tired to bother finding one, she started navigating the stairs. In her state, it proved a dangerous feet and she ended up crawling on her hands and knees until she reached the top - only she didn’t stop and kept going until she head butted the wall.

“What the hell? Who puts a wall so close to the stairs?” she shouted to no one.

Climbing the wall, she managed to get in a position so she was half standing, half leaning against the wall. She looked down the stairs, proud of her accomplishment, and, feeling like Rocky, she attempted to jog on the spot, pumping her fists. This only made the alcohol in her system slosh around and threaten to make an unwanted reappearance.

“Argh. Wine and Rocky do not mix.”

Stumbling down the corridor, she hummed the theme to Family Guy in her head. It was catchy and easy to memorise. When she got tired of it, she switched to Sympathy for the Devil and started hoo-hoo-ing, jumping and flashing jazz hands with each ‘hoo’.

When she finished the song, her hand came across a doorknob and she twisted it open. Stumbling inside, she blinked, not sure if she was dreaming or not.

Hermes lay on the bed, hands behind his head and – she swallowed - he was shirtless. She rubbed her eyes, sure she had to be dreaming. He sat up, looking amused.

“Thea? What are you doing?”

She looked around, taking notice of the layout of the room. “Hmm, I don’t think this is my room.”

“No, this is my room.”

“Oh…All right then. As you were.” She leaned back, still holding onto the door knob and the door swung shut, throwing her onto the floor and making her shriek.

It opened again straight away and Hermes crouched beside her. “Are you all right?”

“Fine. The door could learn some manners though.”

Chuckling, he muttered, “Absolutely trashed”, and picked her up.

“Put me down!” she snapped.

“Shut up, Peaches. I’m taking you to bed.”

Her hands were busy revelling in the sensation of his bare chest and she lost focus for a moment. “Oh…my bed, right?”

“Yes, your bed.”

Everything moved too fast and her hands flew around his neck, burying her head in his chest. “Arghmm.”

“You aren’t going to vomit, are you?”

“No, I don’t vomit,” she mumbled. “You smell nice.”

“It’s called soap.”

“Oh, cool.”

She heard a door open and then she being placed on a bed. Not thinking, she kept hold of Hermes. “Uh, Thea?”

“Yeah?”

“You need to let go.”

“Don’t wanna.”

Gently, he pried her fingers from his neck and automatically she wrapped them around his waist. “Don’t go.”

Sighing, he pulled her arms away and sat down. “Why?”

“Because, I don’t want to be alone.”

He nodded and she struggled to focus on anything that wasn’t his chest. “Was it hard saying goodbye to Shae again?”

She nodded, eyes travelling up his face. That was nice to look at too. “Yes. I didn’t think it would be so hard the second time but it was worse.”

“I can understand that.” He glanced away and before she could think about the consequences, she grabbed his chin, leaned forward and kissed him. He stilled as her mouth moved over his. Her hand made its way down his chest but before she could reach his abdomen, her hand was ripped away.

“I’m sorry, Thea, but I think you need to sleep,” he said hoarsely.

“No, I don’t. I want you.”

His hold on her hands twitched before he pulled her away. “No, you don’t. You want to sleep this inevitable hangover off. Dionysus’s wine makes for a killer hangover. Trust me, you are going to hate yourself enough in the morning without trying to do this.”

“But –“

He pushed her down on the bed and kissed her forehead. “Good night, Thea.”

He walked out and for the first time all night, she felt sober. Staring at the ceiling, it blurred as tears filled her eyes.

“Shit,” she whispered. “Shae was wrong.”

*                             *                             *                             *                             *

“Are you sure you’re all right, Thea? You still look quite pale.”

“I’m fine. Just a bit seedy still from that wine.”

“That was two nights ago now! You can’t still be recovering?”

“I can,” she snapped. “You were right. That wine is not meant for humans.”

After a day of lying on the floor in her ensuite hugging the toilet, she decided fresh air would do her good and snuck out into the grove. Persephone had found her and she used the excuse that she was training. Her real reason for being out there was to avoid Hermes.

Yesterday, she’d used vomiting and illness to avoid him. She’d heard him at the door but made Persephone send him away. She couldn’t face him, not yet. She was still too mortified. She’d acted like a stupid teenager and he shut her down without hesitating. Shae had been wrong about him. She was better off being stuck in denial-ville. At least she didn’t make a fool of herself there.

Persephone stared at her for a moment. “So, what are you learning today?”

“Trying to make a flower grow,” she muttered, staring at the ground. It was what she was trying to do but she couldn’t concentrate.

“Well, I am sorry Thea but I don’t have time stick around today. I have to go and collect Cerberus. Hades left him near the river Styx for a few days to teach some wandering souls a lesson and he wants me to bring him back.”

“Can I come?”

“I don’t think that would be a good idea…”

“Oh yeah, the dog hates me.”

Persephone hesitated. “Thea, did something happen between you and Hermes the other night? He’s been very determined to talk to you –“

“Nothing happened,” she said shortly, rising to her feet. “I’m going for a walk.”

“Thea –“

“I need to clear my head. I can’t concentrate right now.”

“All right,” she said uncertainly. “Don’t wander –“

“Too far. I know.” Thea felt a little guilty for being so snappy with Persephone but she really did still feel seedy and she wasn’t the best at recovering from a hangover.

Reaching the edge of the forest, she saw the Asphodel fields ahead. Hades had said not to go in without him or the souls would bombard her otherwise. Surely it would be safe to fly through, though?

Hovering above the ground, she got as high as she could and started slowly making her way across the field. She saw a soul below her and paused, hoping it didn’t look up. When it didn’t after a few minutes, she ventured out further, feeling bold. No souls bothered looking up as she passed and she was high enough that they couldn’t reach her, so she kept going.

Flying in the air, she closed her eyes, feeling at peace. It was silent up this high and she loved the sensation of floating. Water had been fun but it was suffocating; she felt enclosed and preferred being above the waves. Earth had a vibrancy to it; the ability to create life was breathtaking but it was heavy on her mind and required more focus than the others. There was more involved with it and though it got easier with each passing day, that heaviness didn’t fade.

With air, she didn’t have to think. It just happened naturally and was light and uplifting. So far it was definitely her favourite element.

In the distance, she could see the familiar entryway to Acheron River and she headed that way. Persephone had said that Cerberus wasn’t here so it would be safe. At least she would be hidden for a little while.

Once she reached the river though, she was hesitant to touch the ground. The whole place felt creepy still. With no one around, she could almost imagine she was in a horror movie. Looking out at the river, her feet landed on the ground with a thud and she saw a hand reach out, fingers stretching before it fell back beneath the water.

Hitting the cliff wall, she sat down and stared at the river, her fear blocking out all the other unpleasant things she didn’t want to think about. She knew she should go back instead of staying there and being freaked out but her desire to stay hidden from Hermes overrode her fear of what lurked beneath the water.

“Thea, what the hell are you doing here?”

She jumped and shot up. Relief warred with annoyance as she gazed upon Hermes. He stood behind her, looking frustrated.

“Do you know how dangerous it is out here?”

“I’m fine. I can defend myself,” she retorted.

“That is beside the point, Thea. What if Cerberus was here?”

“He’s not. Persephone said he’s at Sty or something like that. Now go away, I want to be alone.”

He stood in front of her, face serious. “Thea, this is stupid. You can’t avoid me forever. We need to talk about what happened the other night.”

_________________________________________________

A/N - Hi all! Sorry I took a little bit to post. I work night shift and so sleep was calling me this morning. Here is the next chapter anyway, I hope you all like it ^_^

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

81.9K 4.7K 37
For the first time in her life, Hayley Slade is going on an adventure. Naturally, she expects seasickness and a mild storm as the worst of her probl...
43K 676 16
DELULU & GUILT PLEASURE
11.8K 176 10
"Love grows where my y/n goes..." "Oh really, camilo?" ******************** I COULDN'T HELP IT OK? I REALLY WANTED TO MAKE MY OWN CAMILO BOOK made:ja...
246K 9.8K 32
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK🌝🌚