Popular Nerd

By Random_Teenager

Nathan Johnson is the nerdiest guy in school- everyone knows it. But Paige Heartfield couldn't help but see s... More

Chapter One// The School Nerd
Chapter Two// His Phone
Chapter Three// Too Shy
Chapter Four// His House
Chapter Five// The Real Me
Chapter Six// Please
Chapter Seven// New Guy
Chapter Eight// Football Practice
Chapter Nine// Dinner
Chapter Ten// Who Is He?
Chapter Eleven// History Project
Chapter Twelve// Don't Cry
Chapter Thirteen// Strange
Chapter Fourteen// That's New
Chapter Fifteen// Laura's Party (Part 1)
Chapter Sixteen// Laura's Party (Part 2)
Chapter Seventeen// New Friend
Chapter Eighteen// Date?
Question & Answer
Chapter Nineteen// New Partner
Chapter Twenty// You Have To!
Chapter Twenty One// Nathan's P.O.V
Chapter Twenty Two// Teacher's Pet
Chapter Twenty Three// Thank You
Chapter Twenty Four// The Real You
Chapter Twenty Five// To Conclude
Chapter Twenty Six// What Happened?
Chapter Twenty Seven// That's Enough!
Chapter Twenty Eight// You Understand?
Chapter Twenty Nine// A Ride
Chapter Thirty// I Told You
Chapter Thirty One// I Never Knew
Chapter Thirty Two// We're Done
Chapter Thirty Three// Tease Much?
Chapter Thirty Four// He Loves Me?
Chapter Thirty Five// Hey Princess
Chapter Thirty Six// Sounds Lovely
Chapter Thirty Seven// Calm Down
Chapter Thirty Eight// Everything Alright?
Chapter Thirty Nine// You'll See
Chapter Forty// I Do Care!
Chapter Forty One// Come In
Chapter Forty Two// Why Move?
Chapter Forty Three// You're Right
Chapter Forty Four// Too Late?
Chapter Forty Five// Nathan?
Popular Nerd Review
Chapter Forty Seven// Come Back
Chapter Forty Eight// My Girlfriend
Chapter Forty Nine// Wanna Fight?
Chapter Fifty// New Beginning
SEQUEL OUT NOW
Nathan's Points Of View
Nathan's POV: Chapter Nineteen// New Partner
15 Shawn Mendes Songs Relatable To Popular Nerd!

Chapter Forty Six// Plane Ticket

23.8K 933 451
By Random_Teenager

Monday drags into Tuesday.

Tuesday night rolls slowly into the brink of Wednesday morning.

By then it's almost Thursday; Friday around the corner.

Now I am saying goodbye to my mom, Friday evening, as she loads her packed suitcases into the boot of her car, ready to leave for her weekend vacation with her new boyfriend.

"You be safe dear," she embraces me with a loving hug, her fragrance of pear and elderberry wafts up my nose and I savour her smell that my senses have come to known so well, the scent that makes me feel safe and secure as I know she is here.

I know I am older now- not a little girl who couldn't last a day without my mom in the house, to cook my dinner and tuck me into bed- but the thought of defending for my own makes me a little shaky. Perhaps it's the reality that Nathan is no longer around, I feel even more alone than I am. So with mom away, I will feel isolated.

"I will mom," I promise, letting her get into the car. My eyes fall to the ground. She starts the engine then wines down the window. I peer inside to meet her smile, contagiously making my lips curve, mirroring her happiness- she's happy; I should be happy too.

"Have fun... but not too much fun," her laugh fills the wind, cool against my cheek as the last leaves of autumn blow across the road. I step back as her window ascends, the wheels roll off the kerb and soon her car is out of sight.

I walk up the drive, following a grain of gravel as I kick it to the front door. I step inside and make myself some coffee.

For the remainder of the evening, alone as it felt, I spent the hours curled up on the sofa with Gossip Girl entertaining me on the TV. With the company of the blazing fire cracking within the fire place, the room illuminated with a warm peaceful glow. Peaceful, until the chime of the door bell interrupts my thoughts.

"Hello?"

I wrap my hand around the handle of the front door and pull it open. Through the mist of the night, broken by the yellow spotlights of the lamp posts bordering the street, a grey hooded figure stands silent on the bottom door step.

His face turns a degree, the light from above revealing his identity. "Josh?" My fingers quiver by my side. "W-what are you doing here?" I ask with the uncertainty of his late arrival. Eight thirty pm to be exact, what could he want at this hour?

"I'll ask the questions if you don't mind," when he spoke his voice is hoarse and raspy, no doubt he has just tossed away a used cigarette. My nose upturns at the disgust of his presence. He is not the same person I used to date.

"What do you want?" I disobey his command and position my hand firmly on my hip, sighing in the door way urgently wanting him to leave. With the wind bitter against my bare arms, biting at my flesh, I shiver- not only from the weather but from Josh staring me down with pierced eyes.

"Where's Nathan?" He asks sternly, demanding an answer.

"Why do you want to know?"

"I said I'll ask the questions," he repeats with a darkness poisoning his deep voice. "Know tell me where he is. Everyone at school hasn't stopped talking about that nerd all week. Where did he go?"

"Why would it matter if I told you, he's gone. Gone from here, from you and from-" me...

"From who?"

"Doesn't matter," my lips mumble, declining his attempt to get to me. He no longer has any control over me.

"So talk, where has he escaped? Pathetic nerd," Josh spits. "Is he hiding in his bedroom? Gone to granny's house? No surprise he's ran off to avoid this fight."

"He's in non of those places."

"Where is he then?" Josh's body looms closer. My vision is hazy from the night's blanket of fog. "Is he in there with you?"

"No! He's in Washington! So there, now you know. You can leave now."

"Washington ay? Never thought Nerdy Nathan would be that courageous-"

"Don't call him that," my voice fights the dominance of tears threatening my emotions. A ball begins to rise in my throat with I tame it with a loud gulp.

"Why? Aww, does poor Paige still have feelings for Nathan? Oh how cute," Josh mock with a sinister stare.

"So, what you planning on doing?"

"Me and Nathan have some unfinished business." Josh backs away from my door with a harsh frown upon his face. "You won't be all lovey towards him after my fist is finished with him."

"Oh and how are you planning on fighting him when he is over hundreds of miles away, ay?" I cross my arms tightly over my chest, grimacing as he stops at the end of my drive. His hand unfists, his shoulders relaxing.

"You'll see."

I decide to ignore Josh's words of threat. At least Nathan is safe away from here, not with Josh around.

The following day is Saturday, however my usual morning routine is altered by the clang of my post box, early that morning. Abandoning the fresh pancake batter I had just made, I walk over to the front door to see a letter. It is face up, and has landed perfectly in the centre of the welcome matt.

My knees bend as my arm extends, my fingers grazing the edge of the envelope. My name was printed clear on the front. I take it in my grasp and tare it open, eager to reveal it's contents.

At first I thought it is empty. I shake it upside down; a note as well as a rectangular strip of card drops out, falling in front of my feet. What is it?

I pick it up with a careful hand, turning it over for a complete examination...

A plane ticket.

I gasp, a rush of electricity sparking through me! With excited eyes, my brain tries to process the information as I continue to read:

A two way ticket from California to Washington DC.

I read the note: I miss you so much, life out here is not as I expected without you. I need to see you. Take this ticket. My apartment is ten minutes from the airport, I will have a cab wait for you. Nathan x

Within the next ten minutes my bag is packed! I jump down hard on the suitcase lid, demanding it closes as I punch it shut, the zip only just going round all the way. I rush down the stairs with my case tight in my hand.

It takes me an hour to reach the airport, the roads free from congestion. Once I arrive I am out of breath. The lady from before was at a different check out. I am thankful I don't have to pass her again.

I hand over my ticket and passport, delighted when I am given all the all clear to board the plane. I locate my seat and sit down with a long sigh.

This seems so surreal! I'm on a plane, going to see Nathan. My hands tremble with inexplicable nerves as well as reoccurring out bursts of excitement. Leaning back in my seat I prepare for take off, my eyes close with my heart beating at a rapid pace.

The plane journey lasts double the time expected, the anticipation of being reunited with Nathan again- as well as the risk of travelling across the country alone, my mom not knowing a thing- makes it all drag on. But as we land, the wheels scraping across the runway, my pulse can no longer be obtained.

I can't believe I am here.

I can't believe Nathan sent me the ticket. (He still cares about me.)

The flight attendants helps us all exit from the plane, the airport radiating a hot circulation of air, hitting me instantly as I walk in. I retrieve my luggage swiftly, hastily locating the exit where the cabs wait to collect. On the back of the note read the number plate of the cab allocated to drive me to Nathan's apartment of flats.

Thankfully I had saved up enough money over the months which allowed me to pay the cab driver an any other expenses or purchases I may have whilst out here.

Then it strikes me: I don't have a plan.

As soon as I saw Nathan's name on the note I grabbed the ticket, got a bag, then like a bat out of hell I raced to the airport. I didn't even change out of my old leggings and hoody. That was how much I wanted to see him. But now, without a plan or any idea of what is about to happen, I wish I had thought this over more seriously.

"That will be $10 ma'am." I pay the cab driver  once we arrive then step out into the open air. It is sufficiently more hotter here than back at home.

Tying my jacket around my waist, I begin to approach the large building of apartments in front of me. The lobby is built with gold pillars supporting the ceiling where a majestic glass chandelier hung from above. My breath is taken by how beautiful everything looked. I feel so misplaced as my attire couldn't compare to the beauty of it all.

"Are you a resident here?" A female voice behind a desk directs her voice towards me. With a polite approach, I explain my arrival and ask for much needed directions.

"I am here to visit Nathan Johnson," I say to her, watching as her fingers tap across her keyboard.

"Room 203," she replies with a fake receptionist smile. I turn on my heels after thanking her assistance. I make my way over to the elevator and press the bottom of the appropriate floor.

I am in no amazement at how fancy the lift plays classical music, the song alternating between floors. It am also not shocked at how the lights change to fit the mood of the music. Considering the wealth of the interior design, I suspect every resident to be rich, or attending a prestigious academy or collage. Which, as a fact, I know Nathan is.

But I can't help but think about Nathan. What if he just wants to see me? He takes his glimpse then returns back to his life- without me. Yes his note may suggest otherwise, but I doubt he isn't enjoying himself here. He has everything he has worked for.

I am not sure yet what my intentions are for the out come of my visit, but getting Nathan on the plane home with me seems a little too sceptical with questionable optimism. However my hopes are still high.

Nathan wants to see me and here I am, as soon as I get out of this elevator and knock on his door, all I want is to be in his arms. No matter how this will turn out, I just want to be near him again- even if this may be the last time.

The doors of the lift ping open. The corridor is deserted. With a swift motion, I search the door numbers in hunt for one to match 203, the room the lady had described as being his. Once my eyes catch onto the right door, I feel my heart skip a beat.

Taking in a deep breath, my hand rises to the door.

I knock.

I wait.

At first I question if he is home, but when I hear his distinctive voice becoming louder with his every step, I know he is in. The door opens partially, then swings open fully.

My smile is strong as I meet his chocolate eyes, our sight frozen as we stare at each other. When he doesn't speak, his body stiff, I wonder if he is as awe struck as I am.

"Hi Nathan," I pluck up the courage to speak first.

"What are you doing here?" He asks almost immediately, not the sort of question I had been expecting him to utter.

"Isn't it obvious?" My mind is confused, both of our expressions reflecting off one another. "The ticket, you wanted me to come, right? Your note said you did."

"Note? What note?" He leans on the door frame with his hand tugging back his hair. "I didn't send a ticket."

I don't know whether to frown with puzzlement or cry with the fact he doesn't want me here after all...

"So who sent me this ticket to Washington, especially for me to see you?" I take out the ticket from my pocket, my eyes blinking to fight off unwanted tears. I can't cry now. Not in front of Nathan.

"I really don't know, I am surprised to see you here," he says, exhaling with a long sigh.

My eyes meet his, time stopping.

"Nathan, you coming? Who's at the door?" A voice turns into a girl, now standing right behind Nathan with her hand resting upon his shoulder. My eyes automatically enlarge at the contact between this mysterious girl in his room and Nathan.

"This is Paige," Nathan introduces me, yet I still have no clue who she is. But by the way she wraps her hand around his arm, I am guessing they haven't only just met.

"What is she doing here?" Her failed attempt of whispering caught my ear. I study Nathan's face, which resembles no excitement or love for my presence.

"I don't know," he answers flatly.

A/N-

Bit of a longer chapter.

So, what do you think of Paige travelling to meet with Nathan! Romantic, right?

If Nathan never sent the ticket... then who did?

And why is Nathan not happy to see Paige? Has he really moved on?...

Please comment what you think about all of the above. Please vote if you enjoyed this chapter.

More coming soon...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 49.6K 9
"I told you Colton. I don't like bad boys." "All I need is seven days Janey, I can make you fall in love with me in a week." "And if you don't?" I as...
522K 26.4K 31
When 17-year-old Harley finds herself jobless, she needs a new one- and quick. Pretending to be twenty-one, she takes a job offer at a school for del...
12.6M 439K 61
The spark between Faye and her best friend's hot older brother, Miles, threatens to upend everything in her normal, stable life. ...
306K 10.5K 31
Having a crush on someone is what everyone goes through at one point in their life. They'll see someone and they think that they are attractive, or t...