Imperfectly Perfect

By Liya_Loves_1D

Nadia seemingly has a perfect life, a perfect job, and a perfect personality. She is highly imaginative and f... More

Introduction
Prologue
Chapter 1 - The first meeting
Chapter 2 - Who do I have in office?
Chapter 3 - I like him, I hate you
Chapter 4 - Thank God for Liam
Chapter 5 - Unrequited is painful
Chapter 6 - Look at yourself first
Chapter 7 - Truth after six years
Chapter 8 - I was just trying to help
Chapter 9 - How could you do this?
Chapter 10 - Don't cross the limit
Chapter 11 - I am done with you
Chapter 12 - Friends? I guess
Chapter 13 - What did I just feel for you?
Chapter 14 - You were right, he's a liar
Chapter 15 - Long drive outside the city
Chapter 16 - With you, not him? Strange
Chapter 17 - Thanks for Everything
Chapter 18 - I hope you're okay
Chapter 19 - The first kiss
Chapter 20 - Why do you care so much?
Chapter 21 - Maybe, I like you
Chapter 23 - You and I
Chapter 24 - Tell me about your family
Chapter 25 - I love you, I really do
Chapter 26 - I can't bear to lose you
Chapter 27 - Happy Birthday Liam
Chapter 28 - Always by your side
Chapter 29 - Baby, I'm all yours
Chapter 30 - Many, many happy returns of the day
Chapter 31 - You're my only one
Chapter 32 - Broken, numb and lost
Chapter 33 - Leaving everything behind
Chapter 34 - Goodbye
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter 22 - You make me so happy

43 4 0
By Liya_Loves_1D

Everything about today makes me delighted. It's literally a new day in my life. Not only did I wake up to a fresh sunshine, but also to the beautiful realization that Niall loves me. Somewhat it's unusual for me to believe it, accept it and sink it in. How the hell did this happen? Didn't we hate each other like anything even a few weeks back?

I laugh at the memories as I walk up the stairs to office. After opening the door, I enter the place and stroll forward to our counter. Taking a deep sigh, I occupy my chair and turn on the computer. As I'm just settling myself on the chair I hear the sensor of the door beep and Steven enters the office. His eyes straight away land on me, but I look away that instant.

I'm very aware of what happened between us last evening, and to some extent I'm actually ashamed. I know the way Steven handled me crushing on him wasn't right, but the way I dealt with my crush on him was equally and maybe even worse. Somehow I developed a feeling of right on him although we weren't even good friends. Furthermore, never did for once I attempted to know him as a person, and all I did was drool over his physical beauty and shamelessly chase after him.

And, I owe this realization to Niall because if it wasn't for him then I would still badly crush on Steven, turn my life terribly miserable and basically frustrate the shit out of myself. Being with Niall makes me understand what my heart actually felt all this while and the façade I was living in. I have always loved Niall and Steven was a catalyst that made me learn that.

Concentrating on work has never felt easy as I feel today. Articles are gushing out as smooth as it can get of my pen. Venkatesh smiles the widest at me and has even given a pat on the back after one of the articles hit the top spot on Google News.

It's 5.00 Pm now and I've already finished writing 5 stories. Stretching my arms in the air, I decide to take a much-deserved break. Grabbing the mobile, I walk out of the office and find my way on the staircase.

As known, when it comes to weather Bangalore never fails to impress you. I fiddle with my phone and smile at the remembrance of last night's moments when Steven comes out of the door. Our eyes lock instantly, and I swallow and look away.

However, I hear footsteps close on to me and the next thing I see is Steven kneeling down before me.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

He sighs and takes my hands before looking deep into my eyes. "I'm sorry, Nadia."

I stare at him a little longer than normal. "Look, Steven. I should be the one apologizing as what I did yesterday isn't what I've ever done. You were right, every person is different, but that doesn't mean he or she is rude. I failed to understand you, and I rushed into things. I'm sorry, these shouldn't have happened."

He smiles at me before rising on his feet and occupying a tiny place beside me.

"I guess we're even then?" he wraps his arms around my shoulders.

I close my eyes briefly and discreetly and very strangely cringe at him touching me.

"I guess," I murmur.

Steven excitedly stands up and rubs his palms together. He squeezes my cheeks and then strolls forward.

"I'm counting on you to compensate for yesterday," he says.

"What?" I meet my eyes with him with furrowed eyebrows.

"Wrap up everything within 6.30 pm," he pats on my head and laughs a tad.

My mouth remains agape as I try to figure out how to react. As if on cue, Niall calls me up at this time. I hurriedly receive the call.

"He...ello," I say.

"Hi, what's wrong?" Niall asks.

"Nothing," I retort and look back at Steven who stands close to me and stares at the ground.

"Is this a good time to talk?" Niall asks.

"Yes, tell me."

"I'm getting off from work early today and Arjun has happily lent me his car keys again," he chuckles as I do the same. "Do you mind staying ready at 6.30 pm sharp, so I can take my new girlfriend out for dinner?

I laugh out loud now. "Not that it wouldn't be a total pain in the ass, but I'd actually love to."

"Now, that's called impact, you see. Just one day as my girlfriend and you've already gotten smarter."

I laugh harder. "Shut up."

"See you later, bye."

"Bye," I reply and hang up.

When I lift my head up, I notice Steven still standing before me – silent and eyes cast down. I don't know what to say although I know I have hurt him or at least offended him.

"Steven?" I say, swallowing deeply.

He still maintains his stillness and it gives me the idea that maybe he heard Niall's words.

"I'm really sorry, but I can't go out with you," I finally confess. After sniffing, I continue, "I....I have someone, and I...love him. I'm so sorry," I rest my head on my hands and close my eyes.

A strange and uncomfortable silence prevails for long before I hear Steven call out my name.

I look at him right away. "Since when?" he asks.

"Yesterday," I honestly answer.

He bites his lower lip and nods. "Congrats, have fun," he turns on his heels and rushes inside the office.

I stay silent for a few minutes. A string of mixed emotions run through my body that refrains me from neither being happy about going out with Niall nor good about revealing the truth to Steven. It's irritating to not know what your heart wants sometimes.

I push myself up off the staircase and walk inside the office. The wall clock informs that it's 5.30 Pm, so I hastily jog towards my chair. Venkatesh gives me stern looks and I apologetically nod, signaling that I'll start penning down my 6th story for the day.

"The more you give the more people want, moron," I whisper under my breath.

Anyway, as the clock strikes 6.15 Pm I start wrapping up everything. When I turn behind a tad I see Steven submerging into his mobile. Somehow, it makes me happy thinking that he has some alternatives to keep himself busy.

At this time, my phone buzzes and Niall's name flashes on the screen. I grab the mobile and run towards the washroom.

"Hey," I say as I enter the washroom.

"What is this godforsaken place you work at?" he shouts a tad.

I laugh. "Why where are you?"

"Down your office."

"You reached?" my eyes become wide open.

"Yes, honey," he chuckles.

"Okay, okay, give me 5 minutes. I'll be down there, now bye," I quickly hang up and rush inside the toilet.

After coming out, I wash my hands and fix my hair before rubbing cherry lip stick on my lips. I apply a little colon around my neck as well and finally emerge out of the washroom to directly come face to face with Steven.

We stare at each other a little longer than normal before I break the gaze. I walk towards the workstation and grab my belongings before making way towards the door. When I hear footsteps behind me I know it's Steven.

As I walk down the stairs, Steven's footsteps become clearer to me. However, the excitement of meeting Niall consumes my mind and I don't think about Steven anymore.

"Hi," I smile widely as I notice Niall leaning against the car with a bouquet of red roses in his hands.

He wears a dark gray half-sleeved shirt paired with dark skinny jeans and chocolate brown suede boots. His blonde hair is nicely brushed onto his head and a classy black band wraps tight around his right wrist. This is the deepest analysis I've ever done of Niall, and to think that he loves me now feels like a beautiful honor.

"Hey," he smiles as well and stretches his arms wide open.

I jog towards him and give him a tight hug. My heart races up and I feel like flying in the air.

"You smell so good," Niall whispers in my ear.

I giggle and pull away. "Thanks."

When I look at Niall he is mute and looks stunned. His right arm wraps across my stomach while the left arm lies beside him.

"What?" I ask him, staring deep into his eyes.

But, he doesn't reply. I don't wait anymore and look behind me – the direction where Niall's sight is frozen. And, as Steven comes to my notice I figure out why Niall is quiet.

Steven somewhat carries the same expression, as that of my boyfriend and I only pray to God that both of them act their ages.

"Hi, Steven," I smile, attempting to lighten the situation.

"He...ey," he replies in a broken voice.

"This is Niall," I introduce my boyfriend.

"Good to meet you, buddy," Steven finally smiles and nods.

"Yeah, same here," Niall also speaks.

Steven strolls forward to us, and smiles at us once again. Helpless, I return the favor while Niall scans his eyes throughout Steven's body.

"Is that real, your locks?" Niall asks, pointing at Steven's hair.

I look at him, dumbfounded at such a sudden question.

"Ahhmm.....I made them with my real hair," Steven responds and looks at me. I quickly shift my eyes away.

"How do you wash your hair, man? Isn't it smelly?"

My eyes become wide open now as I understand where Niall is taking this conversation to. He is fully planned to humiliate Steven just so the latter realizes that he has lost his chance with me.

"No, why would it be?" Steven laughs annoyingly. I still don't lock gaze with him.

"So, basically you're saying that you unlock your locks every time you wash your hair and then redo them? That's a freaking tedious process," Niall's heavy accent is heavier than ever and somehow it gives me the idea that he is up for something nasty.

I travel my left hand closer to my boyfriend's hip and pinch him hard.

"What?" he looks at me with knitted eyebrows.

"You can take his interview later, alright? I'm hungry, let's go," I retort.

Niall looks at me a little longer than normal before moving his sight back to Steven. This time even I look at Steven and don't feel anything, but shamefulness.

"Nice to meet you, tell me about your goddamn locks some other day," Niall smiles and pats on Steven's shoulders.

Both Steven and I nod our heads. Niall turns around to open the car door for me as I quickly get in. He jogs across and boards at the passenger seat as well.

"Here, I got these for you," he hands me the bouquet.

I smile, and bite my lower lip before taking it. "Thanks," I say.

As we fasten our seatbelts, Niall starts the car. While we move out, I notice Steven getting on his bike and attempting to start it.

"That wasn't nice," I say, placing the bouquet on the backseat.

"What?" Niall shrugs.

"What you did out there."

"What did I do?"

"Now, don't be a drama queen. You know what."

"You didn't like the roses?"

"Niall," I hit him mildly on his arm. "That wasn't a nice behavior towards Steven. Did you see his face? He didn't deserve it."

"Yeah, so didn't you," my boyfriend mutters looking on the road.

I stare in my lap. "It's over Niall. I don't give a fuck anymore, and I don't want you to give as well. He is my past and you're my present. We don't need to talk about him."

Niall smiles at me from ear to ear, and scratches the back of his head. A silence follows and I look out the window, sinking in the views of the city.

"I love you," Niall holds my right hand firmly.

I turn my eyes back at him and blush massively. "I love you too," and bite my lower lip.

"You don't remind me of Ava anymore," he says and swallows. "It was just an illusion. Images of her are slowly starting to fade away from you."

"Is that a good thing or bad?" I ask.

"I guess good thing because I love you and you're here with me now," he smiles at me.

I smile back. "When did you fall for me? And why?" I emphasize on 'why'.

Niall laughs, leaning in. "Why is that such a shock?"

"Duh....did you forget we hated each other initially?"

He laughs harder. "I never hated you, Noddy. I envied you."

"What? YOU ENVIED ME?" my lips part and eyes widen.

Niall continues laughing and then suddenly becomes silent. I furrow my brows and keep looking in his eyes, my heartbeats race up – but he doesn't utter a single word.

"Let's just say, you're lucky and I'm not," he finally speaks, and nods at me – pain splitting through his features.

"Why?" I question.

"It's really nothing, forget it," he shakes his head.

"No, I want to know. Tell me," I demand.

"Seriously Noddy, it's really nothing. Trust me," he grabs my hand and squeezes it.

I want to still pester him, but something about his eyes and the pain it reflects, breaks my heart and steals my desire to force him anymore. So, I nod and look away.

After the conversation, we don't talk to each other anymore. My heart fills up with curiousity as to what Niall is hiding, and as far as I know him, I'm certain somewhere down the line even he is feeling bad about not telling me the truth. I draw glances off him every once in awhile to check if he's cracking and finally succumbing to the guilt or not.

When we reach Indiranagar, I realize Niall has planned to take me to a pub. And that gives me a topic to talk to him again.

"Are we going to a pub?" I ask, shifting my sight to my boyfriend.

"Yes," he smiles at me.

I smile back, feeling happy at the vision. "Which one?"

"Vapour."

"Vapour is my favorite," I stir in my seat as Niall breaks into laughter.

"I didn't know that," he smirks as I blush.

Niall cuts through the traffic and twists into the right and finally stops outside Vapour. The energy even around the pub is electrifying and I feel my mood take a massive leap.

My boyfriend gets down the car and jogs across to open the door for me. I smile and get down.

"Doesn't really suit you," I pout.

"I know, having a girlfriend doesn't always mean a good thing, right?"

I slap him mildly on the shoulder as he laughs out loud. We turn on our heels and stroll towards Vapour. After walking up the stairs, we show our age proofs at the reception desk and take the elevator.

"I'm guessing we're not ordering drinks," I say, crossing my arms before my chest.

"Nadia, you do realize that this is a pub?" Niall retorts.

"And, I hope you do realize that you've just been out of hospital?"

He looks away and gasps. "It doesn't matter."

"It does matter to me. I can't see you like that again," I protest.

The elevator dings at the rooftop and we go out. Niall holds my hand and I secretly smile at the ground. He directs me towards a table, placed at the centre and we grab the chairs while the waiters warmly welcome us.

I glance daggers at Niall, holding on to our argument and he shakes his head with a slight grin.

"I'm fine, Noddy. This is our first date together, please don't ruin it," he says.

"I can say the same thing to you. Please listen to me," I stick to my point.

He sighs and submerges his head within his hands. "Alright, fine," he caves in.

I smile widely and show him a kiss. "Thank you."

Niall rolls his eyes and looks away.

At this moment, a waiter comes up. "Your orders, sir?" he looks at Niall.

"Yeah, just give us a few minutes," I reply.

"Sure," the waiter nods and walks away.

"You decide," Niall says.

"No need to mention," I smirk as my boyfriend imitates me.

I peruse the menu card and settle with two baked fish, one pizza and two cosmopolitans.

"Cosmopolitan? Are you serious?" Niall chuckles.

I knit my brows. "What is wrong with Cosmopolitan?"

"That's a girly drink, order me some manly stuff."

I roll my eyes. "And, what is your manly stuff?" I lift my fingers up to quote 'manly stuff'.

"A large Vapour Ale," he licks his lips as I roll my eyes now. "Order me a long island tea instead."

"Okay," I nod, and look around to summon a waiter.

Once I catch attention of one waiter, I gesture him to come over. He smiles and strolls forward, holding a notepad in his hands.

"Yes, ma'am," he leans forward.

"Two baked fish, one medium smoked chicken pizza and one cosmopolitan and one long island tea," I sigh.

"Alright," he writes down the orders on his tiny notepad and then repeats them for confirmation.

"Awesome," Niall shows him thumbs up as the waiter turns on his heels and walks away.

"How often do you come here?" Niall asks me.

"I came here 4 to 5 times. Is this your first time?"

"Yeah, I chose this place for you," his eyes twinkle and I feel my heart flutter.

"How did you know?" my lips part.

"You once told Liam."

I smile from ear to ear, and bend my head down.

"I still can't believe us. Everything feels so surreal," I gasp.

"I know," Niall responds. "I never thought I could move on and fall for someone again. Love is such a painful and selfish shit. I don't even know why people make such a big deal out of it."

I furrow my brows. "I don't understand how I should feel about your statement."

Niall laughs, and then holds my hands. "You're different, Nadia. You make everything I feel, believe and know, different."

I know my cheeks have flushed pink. "I never thought I will fall in love with you."

"And, I never thought I'll be able to make you realize that," Niall replies, and we both laugh out loud.

The waiter arrives at this moment, and places our orders on the table. Everything looks every bit scrumptious, and I know Niall is already salivating.

"Enjoy," the waiter smiles at us and leaves.

Niall and I simply devour into the delicacies and make "Mmm" sounds every once in awhile, completely lost in the heavenly tastes.

I take a sip of my Cosmopolitan and the sweetness of the cranberry juice transfers me into a whole new world.

"This tastes like paradise on earth," I smile, biting my lower lip.

"And this tastes like long island tea," Niall raises his glass at me.

I laugh covering my face. I hear Niall laugh too.

"By the way, what do you think of Steven? Isn't he good looking, I mean sexy?" I ask.

Niall takes a sip off his tea, and stares at me – baffled. "Suddenly?"

"Yeah," I shrug. He rolls his eye, but I continue, "Tell me now."

"He is okay," he drinks again.

I smile – certain that he is jealous. "You know he is hot."

"Whatever, like I care. Do you want to spend the night talking about that cunt?" he throws daggers at me.

I laugh out loud. "Awww," I coo. "You're so cute." Niall retracts his hands off my touch and I laugh harder.

We hardly speak for the rest of dinner. I try to convince my boyfriend with several of my tricks, but to no avail. And, call it strange but most of the times I break into immense laughter, making Niall angrier.

When we're done, Niall calls the waiter and I excuse myself to use the washroom.

Once I come out, I see Niall waiting by the elevator – appearing very agitated and anxious. I stroll forward to him.

"Are you okay?" I hold his arm.

He nods, staring down. I don't feel much convinced, so I rub circles on his back. "Are you feeling sick?"

"I'm fine. It's a work problem," he replies as we enter the elevator.

"You can share with me," I tighten my hold around his arm.

He looks down on me touching him, and then locks his sight with me. "Not an issue. Just some preparation for a meeting, happens every day."

He finally smiles and additionally tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. I smile and blush.

We leave Vapour as Niall jogs ahead and opens the car door for me. I get in as he walks across and sits on the driver's seat. We fasten our seat belts before Niall starts the car. I notice from my mobile that it's 9.00 Pm.

An uncomfortable silence looms over us and I feel guilty for bringing up the Steven topic.

"I'm sorry," I say, turning towards Niall. "I won't bring up Steven anymore. He is not at all important."

"It's okay, Noddy. You don't need to apologize," he smiles a tad at me through the rear mirror.

I nod and shift on the seat.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask.

"Sure," Niall nods.

"If I hadn't figured out were you ever planning to tell me about your feelings?"

"I already told you about my feelings."

"You said you like me; you never told me that you love me."

He pauses for a few seconds. "Then I'm glad you figured out."

"That means you would've never told me, right?"

He pauses again. "I don't know....I guess, I didn't see the need to tell you that I love you. It's quite obvious."

I furrow my brows at the confusion. However, when I open my mouth to pester him more he stops me.

"Now we both know, so what's the point of anticipating? Can we please change the topic?" his facial expressions return to being agitated and anxious.

I become mute and nod along, anyway.

For the rest of the journey, Niall tells me stories of his and Liam's college days. Although they're funny I find it difficult to laugh or even smile because my mind keeps going back to Niall's anxious looks. I don't know why, but I can't seem to forget that and simply relax. I'm certain that he's hiding something and this suspicion eats me up from inside.

When we reach home my mobile informs that it's 10.30 Pm. My eyes are already heavy and the thought of going to office again tomorrow morning irritates the hell out of me. Niall stops the car, and although I want to get down immediately I wait for him to walk across and open the door for me. If making me feel special gives him happiness then I'll let him open the door for me.

"Thank you," I smile after Niall opens the door for me. I grab the bouquet from behind and get down.

We enter the building and close the main gate shut behind us. We walk up the stairs, hand in hand before standing outside of Niall and Liam's apartment.

"I had a lovely time," I smile as Niall wraps me by my waist. I sniff the bouquet and close my eyes briefly.

"Me too," he smiles, eyes crinkling in the process.

"I'm very happy, Niall. Everything feels so perfect and right at the moment."

Niall smiles before leaning in and landing his lips on mine. I travel my arms around his neck as I kiss him back.

"I guess, now you can understood why there wasn't any need for me to tell you that I love you," he says, touching his forehead with mine.

I bite my lower lip and feel nod discreetly.

"You wanna stay....back in my apartment?" I ask, not meeting eyes with Niall.

He doesn't speak for a few seconds, and that's when I look at him and catch him smirking at me.

"I want to, but I can't. I've to finish that office work I told you about," he coos. "I'm really sorry, baby."

Although I feel dejected I shove aside the feeling instantly. "Yeah, of course. Work comes first. Not a problem at all."

Niall smiles and hugs me tight. Once he pulls away, he pecks on my cheek. "I love you," he says.

I bite my lower lip. "I know, you don't need to tell me."

"Now, whatever keeps my girl happy," he tilts his head to glance at my face that has certainly turned scarlet.

"I'll see you tomorrow, alright?" he says.

"Yeah, goodnight," I nod and pull away.

"Goodnight," Niall retorts and goes forward to ring the doorbell.

I wave at him and stroll towards my apartment. My heart refuses to leave Niall behind, and all that my body wants is only to lie next to him. Fighting this temptation as I reach my door and fish the keys from my handbag, I hear Niall's voice again.

When I move back and look to my right, I see him smiling at me.

"You didn't get in?" I ask, smiling as well.

He shakes his head. "I miss you already."

I laugh, throwing my head back. "Such a cheesy line, Niall."

"I thought you liked cheesiness and all of those shit," he looks shocked.

I laugh harder. "Shut up, and go inside. Goodnight," I step inside my apartment.

"Goodnight," he retorts and I hear the door shut.

I keep laughing and close the door of my apartment too. After turning on the lights I walk inside the kitchen and take out a spare flower vase from one of the cabinets. I fill some water inside it and put the bouquet into it, placing the vase at one corner.

"Idiot," I murmur under my breath as my heart still beats faster.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 587 22
Louis is a dancer a very good dancer, but he's a perfectionist, insecure, and lonely. He's striving to get this one part that can change his boring l...
57.4K 1.7K 24
Sometimes our lives change when we least expect them to. We meet our best friends in when we're unprepared to make friends. Our lives change so drast...
12.2K 449 31
“What the hell are you doing?” I spat at Zayn. He just pulled away from her to look at me. “Get your hands away from my sister.” “Harry I’m so so...
10.2K 477 33
She's the kind of girl you see roaming through the halls quietly, full of anxiety, she worries about everything. She doesn't like to be alone, never...