A Fifth Daughter [Book 1: The...

By JJHays

A MODERN MEDIEVAL FANTASY #3 in Fantasy |Book 1 of the Fifth Daughter Trilogy| When darkness arises and the w... More

Author's Note ~ Copyright
To Those Special Someones
Table of Contents
Maps
Introduction
Prologue ~ 0
Part One
Chapter ~ 1
Chapter ~ 2
Chapter ~ 3
Chapter ~ 4
Chapter ~ 5
Chapter ~ 6
Chapter ~ 7
Chapter ~ 9
Chapter ~ 10
Chapter ~ 11
Part Two
Chapter ~ 12
Chapter ~ 13
Chapter ~ 14
Chapter ~ 15
Chapter ~ 16
Chapter ~ 17
Chapter ~ 18
Chapter ~ 19
Part Three
Epilogue ~ 20
What's Going Through My Head

Chapter ~ 8

15.8K 920 68
By JJHays

~ Chapter 8: The Definition of Shopaholic ~

Butterflies take flight in my stomach. A terrible feeling that can only be conquered by ice cream, hot chocolate, or just getting over whatever is making me nervous. Considering I don't have either of the first two right now, I'll have to go with the latter. Okay, let's get this over with.

I pull the brown package from my bag and glare at it. I can barely remember my dad and I don't really like reminders of him, so I'm not exactly sure I want to open this and read whatever he's written down, because if he's just given me storybooks I might dig him up and bury him again.

Sighing, still glaring, I tear the thick brown paper away and two books slip out. One is a soft grey leather with the imprint of a quill, the other a royal blue with a fire breathing dragon. The pages of the grey journal are worn and the cover bent from overuse. Each leaf is covered in words, numbers, maps, and small sketches. It's the journal of a traveling journalist.

Everything about the royal blue book is in pristine condition, and it fights to be opened. I flip through it. All the pages are empty but the first two. I skim over the words and end up glaring some more.

'To my dearest Miracle, Aug. 26th

'I'm afraid I might not be around much longer and so, for my grown up child reading this, I say: "I'm sorry."

'Your mother has been given very strict orders to hand this and my journal over to you when you turn 15 and are preparing to leave the nest next year. But knowing Allied, she'll have held onto it a little longer. So I hope you are reading this and are about to begin your own adventures. We Greens have never been able to stay in one place long, and I do hope you gained that trait. Traveling will keep your mind open to the beauty of our world. I hope you take your place as a Dragon Rider and grow into the position that has been given to you.

'Oh, Miracle, there is so much I wish you knew, so much I wish you didn't, and no time to tell you what I want you to know and to help you forget what you shouldn't know. But, I guess it will be my fault that this doesn't happen. Your mother has warned me but I can't find any heart to not go through with it. By the time you read this, I will be gone.

'It is amazing what a man wishes to do when he is told he'll die. With the help from a Sage friend of mine, I know something not even doctors can tell me. This friend has narrowed down my death to the day; hour, minute, second, and apparently it will be raining. How kind of the heavens to cry for my departure.

'My journal is full of my journeys and memories. I know I haven't been a big part of your life, but I do hope you can be a part of mine through these scribbles.

'-Charles'

That's it. That's all my great, dead father had to say as an introduction; 'the heavens will cry for my departure?'

He even signed it Charles. Not dad or father, but Charles. I already feel distant from barely remembering him, and he isn't helping me get to know him better by being all proper about writing letters to his youngest daughter. He wrote it on my birthday, but when? The year I was born? He died the spring after my second birthday, did he know he'd die before that? Did he know I'd be a Dragon Rider since I was born? And how?

That sorry isn't helping him any – not after all the questions he's left me with.

A very pronounced knock on the door rouses me – somewhat. I groan and roll over hoping Carma will answer whoever is behind the door.

As the knocking continues and no Carma opens the door, I throw the bedding away and crawl from the bed, only to freeze.

This isn't my room. Where are all the books? Where did all the open space go and Carma's already made bed?

"Smoke Green! I hope you're decent because I'm coming in!" I have no time to answer the unknown girl, before she barges in. She gives a quick glance about the room and clicks her tongue when she finds me sitting on the bed.

As she marches forward I catch the royal blue dragon on her palm and all of reality and yesterday's events catch up to me.

I'm not home. I'm in Legend. I groan and flop back on the bed. I'd really hoped it'd all been a dream. No such luck for this girl.

"Morning," I grumble, yawning. My watch catches my eye and I almost groan again. Nine thirty? Who the heck can sleep-in until nine thirty? "Am I late for something?"

"No," she draws out. She's trying not to laugh. I can hear it.

I just nod. Finally sitting up, I glance her up and down. Dirty blonde hair reaches her shoulders and is held back by the sunglasses on her head. Hazel eyes already have slight crow's feet dashing out from them. She must laugh a lot. She's tall, nearly as tall as me. Oh, wait. She's wearing thick, three inch heels. She must be like 5'5" then. "And you are?"

"La'manda Rhodes, but you have to call me Mandy. I'm a Novice Rider and Advanced Healer helper."

I blink a couple times. "I have no idea what you just said."

Mandy shrugs like she understands. "You're an Acolyte which is a first year student, I'm a second year student, or Novice, and Eaton is right above me, which makes him an Apprentice." She leans forward, putting a hand to the side of her mouth like she's going to tell me a secret. "He gets to do all the fun stuff." She smirks like it's a joke that, apparently, only she understands. "The last year is Master, and if you're feeling lucky you can try out for a Headkeeper after graduating."

Good thing I only plan to be here for two weeks. "And Advanced Healer?" Even though that kind of speaks for itself.

"Advanced Healer helper." She corrects. "Just means I'm training to be a War-Doc."

I'm still not absolutely sure what she's talking about.

"I'm here to take you and Filly Ashmere to the Break Hall for breakfast and then to the Main Office to get all your school supplies and anything else you might require for the semester."

"Okay. I'll be ready in a moment." She turns to leave but I stop her with a questioning sound. "We aren't... flying to the Break Hall, are we?"

Mandy smirks. "How else would we get there?"

Uh... I force a smile. "That's great."

She misunderstands with a smile and leaves. I nearly fall to the floor and feel ready to throw up. Nope... can't do it. I'm not going to survive two weeks of this. I can't. I can't. There's no way. You'd think with me being "destined" and all to ride dragons that I wouldn't have this fear, but no such luck. I'm petrified – just without the frozen part.

Mandy's dragon is a very handsome creature. His hazel-blue scales glisten like a clear lake, two legs – with more claws than feet – make him appear shorter than he actually is. His tail is covered in spikes and ends in a mace. His thin, light blue wings fold up like a butterfly, leaning outwards and giving roundness to his pointy body.

"This is Sky." Mandy introduces, as she scratches Sky's jaw. He hums slightly and his right leg jiggles with the thump-thump sound of my heart. When she stops he shakes himself out and assesses me with pale eyes. "He's the typical Dragonfly; blindness and all." Of course that doesn't mean anything at all to me and perhaps Filly. "He likes to tell me he can see the world better than I can even with his blindness though. He's quite the joker."

"Hi Sky." I all but squeak out as he nudges my shoulder and I touch his jaw. He hums and clicks. His tongue rolls out and an orange and black butterfly flutters out to land on my nose. I nearly go cross-eyed trying to see it.

"Dragonflies can't breathe fire like most other dragons." Mandy explains, smiling. "They heal and bring joy. Sky has an obsession with butterflies – especially Monarchs." Mandy climbs onto Sky's back as he lowers to the ground, but there's no saddle. Instead his scales part and close around her legs, holding her to him. I just stare at where her thighs disappear under the scales. What the heck? Doesn't that hurt?

"Coming girls." Mandy regards me with knowing hazel-blue eyes. "Don't worry; this is much safer than a saddle." She smiles; flashing white teeth. Her light hair flies about her face. She's looks so heroic upon her beast.

If I wasn't frozen stiff I would have beat Filly with how slow she is to climb up behind Mandy. Sky's scales part for her and she slips in easily.

"Uh..." The butterfly on my nose bats its wings and then lifts into the air. It lands on the rose bushes surrounding the cabin; its orange and black colors flashing beautifully against the pinks and reds.

I should be able to do this easily. Just don't think about it. You'll survive. Don't worry. Nothing is going to happen. You're just going to breakfast.

My mantra continues as I walk to the dragon, whose scales are open and ready to devour my legs. Hands shaking, heart in my throat, I grab Filly's shoulders and pull myself up behind her. There's a nearly silent grinding as the scales climb up my calves and thighs, and fold over to rejoin the rest of his body. Physically, this is impossible; the scales would be vulnerable and make his surviving changes slim. But as the blades encase me I can feel his tough hide and the sharpness of each scale. Sky can't spew fire, but I can promise you he will put up a fight.

"Sky has asked that I tell you to," Mandy's voice lowers, "Please keep all hands, legs, eyeballs, and ear accessories inside the vehicle at all times, this dragon stops for no trees and eats flowers. Thank you." She chuckles loudly as Sky seems to finish his little rollercoaster speech. Filly nearly cracks a grin, and I'm trying to smile but can't with how his wings adjust and prepare to lift off. With a roar that resembles an engine stuttering, Sky flaps downward with his curved wings and we're in the air.

I squeeze my eyes shut until the muscle in my forehead hurts. My stomach drops with each twist of Sky's body and I have to remind myself to not grab Filly's shoulders for support. I'm not sure she'd enjoy how tight my grip would be. When we land I'm the first one off and my knees are shaking. Neither Filly nor Mandy seem to notice my harsh breathing, or maybe they take it for me having "enjoyed" the ride.

We've landed on a raised platform, the letter 'D' has faded and flaked off under us. Other identical platforms go off to our right and left, standing as tall as my waist off the ground. A catwalk slopes to the ground where trees dot around and the open sky is only interrupted by clouds and more islands. I can see The House's three islands from here and a mountain island is directly in front, suspended in the air by nothing noticeable. A waterfall rolls down its crevices and becomes mist as the wind grabs it. I can make out the shapes and shadows of other islands but nothing recognizable to what I imagined them to be from what I've heard and from what Eaton told me last night.

Mandy gives Sky a smile and pats his shoulder. I have a feeling I'm missing an entire conversation as her eyes brighten and Sky hums. He steps back and takes off, disappearing slowly into the air space.

"Come on you two." She says, dropping from the platform. "Break Hall closes down the breakfast bar at ten."

I turn and find Filly right behind me, staring at the islands just like I'd been. Her lips twitch in a smile and we both follow after Mandy as she heads toward a cluster of buildings.

"So," Filly starts when we've caught up. "Will you always be transporting us around until we have our own dragons?"

Oh, please say no.

Mandy shakes her head and my heart does a little happy dance. "No. The Vixen Twin – or V2 for short – will be your transportation until your own dragons have hatched and are big enough to ride."

"Why didn't it take us today?" I ask.

"Novices are given two Acolytes that they have to be an escort for during their first day here. It's so we can answer any questions and show you around. Trains can't talk and we don't allow them inside. Although that'd be cool." She chuckles to herself.

The dirt path we'd been on turns to concrete and then we're on a sidewalk where the cars on the road are actually dragons and other rideable animals, like large cats and rams.

"Welcome to Stormchaser," Mandy spreads a hand out, gesturing to all the little shops and cafés. "This is where you'll find all the crazy life of Legend. It's a completely clean town; no clubs or bars. It took the Council five years to finally put in the Legend Theater down on Compass Walk because they feared the change in their student behavior. Last year it was finally all us students that came up with the argument to have the theater. Even though we won, it's only open on weekdays, which can get annoying." Mandy growls under her breath something about 'stupid, over-protective government officials.' "There's any type of shop you can think of and over a dozen different Cafés. The Library is on Hubble Corner A and the Main Office just beside that. We'll go to the Break Hall first and then come back here."

We follow Hubble Circle until we come to Hubble Corner A where the road goes straight to Dragon Street or turns right to continue on Hubble Circle. Mandy follows Dragon Street until Stormchaser disappears behind us as a noisy, busy, and quaint town. In front of us a looming building builds from a shadow to a structure more massive than The House.

Welcome to Dragonmage. A large iron gate proclaims where sidewalk becomes hard-trod dirt. Through that and the school becomes a form of bricks, ivory, and chimneys. It reminds me of the pictures Mom showed me of the college campus Genny Grace will soon be attending on Earth.

"Welcome to Dragonmage, girls."

"We'll go to Books, Shoes, and Trinkets first." Mandy says, looking over a sheet of paper as we leave the school and get back into Stormchaser. It's nearly ten-thirty and the town is still busy and loud. It's worse than cars honking to hear people actually yelling at each other to move along. The animals grumbling complaints are just as bad. There are only three and four-way stops and everyone on the road is on a creature of large stature and larger tempers. I shake my head at an angry ram fighting against its rider's commands.

Joe Clugin had the wonderful idea of creating the Clugin Creatures. They're mostly regular farm animals that he made three times their average size. Large felines, bulky rams, and stampeding pigs. I read he tried chickens but their bone structure is too weak to be ridden even when enlarged, so that failed. Thankfully he didn't take it so far as to upgrade the horse or cow... or dragon. I did hear he's trying hamsters and beagles, so we'll see.

"What kind of name is that?" Filly asks. She's yet to come out of her shell. Although she talks more than I do, she's says everything quietly and with a very timid behavior.

"Oh, that's not even one of the worst of them. Stormchaser is a mixture of horrible names. There's Elf 21, Fangs Ahoy, Downsize, Stories-by-the-zillion, Rabbit Coffee, Horns On Us, and so many others. It gets ridiculous." Mandy shrugs. "The stores are typically pretty cute and fun though." She hooks Filly's and my elbows and begins dragging us. "Come on, shopping is the life of the weekend."

I disagree with that on so many different levels it's not funny.

After stopping at Peanut Bear and Jackal to get a smoothie, Mandy hauls us around the town of Stormchaser, from one store to the next, buying mostly things we need and sometimes trying to haggle us into buying things we'll never need more than one of – who needs four toothbrushes? This girl could be a saleswoman. She'd run the stores out of business in a day.

"Okay, now we just need to stop at the library" – that we've walked past seven times – "and get you two membership cards."

I'd groan if we were going anywhere else but the library. The bags are getting heavy; full of school notebooks and some textbooks that the teachers – apparently – won't be giving us. Thankfully paying is on the school, so basically I just got paid to buy ten new books and one I own at home. The other oddities that Mandy thrusted on us, however, are from our own pockets. I finally drop my foot and said she had to stop. She did, although she smiled like she'd been hoping for that reaction.

The doors slide open and a gust of warm air smacks my chilled face, causing me to shiver.

"We're done after this, right?" Filly questions, sagging her shoulders.

"Yep," Mandy pops the 'p' and happily skips away to the librarian desk, Filly and I trudging behind. The Legend Library smells glorious, like musty old books and pristine never opened pages. Looking up from the desk, I can see up two more floors and hundreds of more shelves. This is somewhere I'd happily get lost in. Filly seems to be in the same daze as me, her green eyes wide as she takes in the amount of books.

Mandy doesn't let us stand and admire though, as soon as we're done answering the librarian's questions, she's ushering us out the door and back toward the landing platforms.

"Today has been fun." Mandy comments, smiling at us. She finally seems to understand the weight of our bags and takes a few from both of us. "We'll go to the Main Office after we drop everything off at your cabin and switch around any of the classes you don't or do want."

Filly mutters an Elvish word under her breath that I have a feeling I don't want the translation of.

"Yeah, it's been... interesting." What I don't say is how long and excruciating it's been. I want to fall over and sleep.

"I'm glad. Because I'm going to drag you two shopping when Hallow's Eve comes around. It'll be fun.

I force a smile for her sake, but really don't feel like doing this again... ever.

Filly groans as soon as Mandy is gone and the door is closed. She flops onto the couch face-first. "I'm never, ever doing that again."

"Uh-huh..." I head to the kitchen to ravage the fridge and cabinets. Mandy said she'd be back in an hour to take us to dinner and then give us a tour of the islands, although I don't think we're feeling up to that. We could probably sleep the rest of the day away. "Thirsty?" I ask. "Hungry?"

"Both." She moans.

I laugh a little, almost genuinely smiling. "Well, there's OJ or water, and... uh... bananas."

"That's it?" Filly is suddenly looking over my shoulder, "Are they trying to starve us?"

"I think we're supposed to eat in the Break Hall, not here."

Filly puts her hands on her hips. "So, no snacks or anything during homework? Cal'in, I thought Woodmoor had been bad. This is torture." Her red hair appears to darken when she's annoyed. It seems like quite the feat to see such emotions in a petit and quiet girl. I guess I can't judge though. I think and connive the best when I'm silent.

"Well, not as torturous as walking around for three hours buying all that stuff with an over happy Rider."

Filly cracks a grin but tries to hide it by looking at her bags on the floor by the couch that she deposited there an hour – maybe two – ago. "You're right. That was torture."

I smile and hand her a banana.

She huffs a laugh and takes it. "Fine."

"You should smile and laugh more. It makes you look alive... and, well," I shrug, "happy."

Filly blinks, as if that was the most unexpected thing she'd ever heard. "Um..." She glances down, blushing. "Thank you?"

I shrug again. "No problem."

I don't know why I said it. Making attachments will make it harder to leave in two weeks, but Filly seems to need a friend, and I'm not about to let the opportunity of having a good friend slip by.

Smoke,                                                                                                                                                                Aug. 31st

I know you just left yesterday and all, but I'm bored and need someone to talk to. Usually that's you, but well... you're gone. So, now I'll send you letters, so kind of me, right? You're not getting rid of me just yet. I survive two semesters without you and yet one day goes by with YOU gone and I can't stand it. Maybe it's because there's stuff for me to do at Battlemage and here at home without you, there's nothing. Or maybe I'm just gnawing on my nails thinking about you being away.

Chase left with Ry this morning and I'll be leaving in a few hours. Of course with how things are going, I might not be going at all. Headmaster Jacmerl told Chase and I while she was here that there have been strange attacks lately, over near Red Peak, and I might be sent right out into the field instead of finishing my last two years of training. It's kind of scary to think about. Something has everyone spooked.

I'm worried. The last time I was this worried was when you fell from Dell and said you'd never ride again. Back then I figured you'd go into Battlemage, but I think Dragonmage suits you better. I hope you stay. Two weeks is a short time to make up your mind, but I hope the choice is obvious. You belong there. The fear will always be with you, but you can at least defeat it to a small corner of your mind that will lock it down. Although, who knows, maybe it will leave you completely.

Ugh... I got to go. Wish I could keep writing, although I'm not exactly sure about what. I hope to see you at fall break with a dragon.

Night Smoke!

Tempest Rage

©JJHays2017

~ Vote and Comment Please ~

Thanks,

JJ

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 2.7K 65
This isn't just a fanfiction, this is a letter. This is a letter for all the girls that think they're sometimes too much for everyone, and for their...
1.5K 149 32
(Book 4 of The Zoshan Chronicles) What would you do to save your people? How far would you go? Jaymie's new life as a wife and a queen is threatened...
164K 10.4K 32
A MODERN MEDIEVAL FANTASY #31 in Fantasy |Book 2 of the Fifth Daughter Trilogy| Davenport has returned to take over Fantasy and the Riders are dispat...
302K 29.1K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...