Winter Blues

By laylah678

You knew I had the winter blues the first time you met me. Or at least that was what you called it, most peop... More

Winter Blues

69 8 11
By laylah678

Hey guys this is my new story (couldn't help myself) lol, I hope you enjoy it.... :)

HAPPY READING!!

***********************************************************************************************

You knew I had the winter blues the first time you met me. Or at least that was what you called it, most people would name it depression.

I was very good at pretending I was happy, but for some reason you saw straight through it. It became one of my most favourite things about you; the way you noticed things about me that no-one else ever had.

Right from the start.

 ***********************************************************************************************

A case of the winter blues by Liah.

Chapter One (Unedited)

I had been sitting in the waiting room for almost an hour when my physiotherapist decided to grace me with his presence.

“Hello there Snow,” he smiled his usual smile, but he looked rather distracted. I stood up to shake his hand.

“Is everything alright?” I asked him when he didn’t let go of my hand.

He looked down to meet my eyes “It’s Rose, she’s in labour.” His face flushed pink, as if he was embarrassed to show his great excitement.

Rose was his twin sister.

“Okay. I guess you would like to go and see her then,” I stated, gently pulling my hand away.

“Really? Are you sure you don’t mind?” he asked me grinning.

“No, of course not, this is a just a routine appointment, we can reschedule.” I told him, picking my bag from the chair I’d left it on, I put it on my shoulder, and lifted the flap to retrieve my gloves.

“Yes.” He replied sounding unsure, his voice had a definite wobble to it but then he smiled. “You can still have your appointment today, just not with me.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, come on.” And with that he led me down to the corridor to meet the substitute, you. When we reached the end of the corridor, he stopped abruptly, I just about managed to stop without bumping into him.

“He’s a student, so go easy on him,” he told me with a laugh “But don’t worry, he’s in this third year, knows what he’s doing. He’ll be fully qualified in a few months anyway.”

“Okay.” I nodded and stepped forward. When Doctor Carter had left my line of vision I gave the door a light tap.

Nothing. I waited a few seconds then tried again.

Just as I was about to turn to go and complain to the receptionist,  you opened the door and I came face to face with your radiant face, you  had a bright smile to match with your bright eyes, that sparkled blue.

“Hello there Neva,” You said offering me your hand. I smiled when I heard that come out of your mouth, I’d never heard anyone call me that before. I took your hand and shook it, the smile on my face growing.

I looked around  the room you practiced in; I frowned as I stepped inside. It looked like a hospital room at first glance; with the pale blue walls, white ceiling, the bed with the fitted sheets and a mint curtain that would pull around the bed.

But then were touches that made it hard to distinguish if it was something out of your home, like the bowl of coloured marbles that looked out of place, a purple bean bag that didn’t match the pastel colour scheme you had going on. But it looked nice, I smiled as I noticed the flower pots you had on the windowsill, all but one were small, there was one that loomed above all, I looked up and saw a bright yellow sunflower that still appeared to have a little name tag attached to it.

My smile faltered at the thought of a child giving it to you, you followed my gaze and smiled “My little brother made it, do you like it?”

“Sure.” I answered.

“When you’re quite done looking around, do take a seat so that we can get started.” You said amusedly.

You laughed when a faint blush creeped onto my cheeks and gestured to the chair when you noticed me standing awkwardly “Here.”

I sat down and waited for you to speak. You looked at your computer for a few more seconds then you turned to face me.

I saw the little bracelets that were on your wrist, dark brown threads on your left, with a few beads threaded through.

“So then, what do you like to be called? You said looking down at the bunch of papers on your desk.

“Anything is fine,” I drooled caught up in your beautiful eyes.

“Anything?” you laughed, you had the most amazing laugh and it was infectious so I started to laugh too. “I think I’ll call you snowflake,”

“You can’t name me, I’m not your baby,” I said without thinking. Within a millisecond my hand was clapped over my mouth and I was turning a deep shade of crimson.

You started to choke on your own laughter then, which lifted some of my embarrassment off.

“I need to get some water,” you said still coughing, as you got up and walked towards your little sink in the corner “Want some?” you asked me turning around holding a cup of water.

I shook my head. When you came and sat back down you placed a cup in my hands anyway, I frowned at you but you just smiled. I drank some and was instantly glad you’d given it to me, it was so fresh and cold and I could feel my cheeks return to their normal colour.

“Right then, do you want to tell me why you come here...” Your eyes scanned my file “Every two weeks?”

“Doesn’t it say in the history?” I questioned.

You nodded. “I want to know why you think you come here, I can look in your file if you’d prefer.”

I shook my head. I wanted to tell you.

“Well there was an incident once and since then I’ve needed physio for my knee because it was injured pretty bad, it hasn’t stopped hurting since.” I looked down at my lap; I had left out the incident purposely. I needed to know if you knew about it or not.

From your nod I realised that you’d not been told. I had opened my mouth ready to tell you but then I suddenly realised that even though I felt at ease with you, you were still a stranger. Well, student physiotherapist/stranger.

You were watching me intently, a frown on your beautiful face, I didn’t know why, until you were handing me a tissue. I touched my face and realised that my face was all wet.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” I sniffed as I wiped my eyes fiercely, trying to leave not a single stray tear.

“Hey hey, careful there snowflake, you’ll have your pretty little eyes out if you rub them that hard!”

I smiled weakly when I heard that. You gave a little chuckle when you saw I was smiling again.

“It’s okay.” You spoke softly looking right into my eyes. I looked away first feeling shy from a most intense gaze.

“Shall I have a look at your knee then?” you asked me after a few seconds.

I nodded “Shall I lie on the bed?”

Without saying anything you nodded, and I slowly rose from my seat and walked towards the bed. I slipped my shoes off and hopped on, my land caused the crisp smooth sheets to wrinkle into a wavy pattern.

“I know that Doctor Carter has assessed your knees and all, but I was wondering if I could see...” you stopped and looked at me. I knew what you meant; it would have been pretty hard to visualize the situation my knees were in without an actual look at them.

“Sure.” I pulled up my black pant leg on my right knee and looked expectantly at you. You walked over to me slowly and came to a standstill when you were right beside my knee.

The whole time you were touching my knee poking at it here and there, I was holding my breath. I knew that my cheeks had once again turned rosy red, I couldn’t help it. Your touch sent electrifying shivers all around me, I knew that you knew the effect your touch had on me; the sparks that went shooting up and down my leg.

Before long you took your hand away, I watched you hesitate for a few seconds then walk over to the sink and give your hands a quick rinse. You smiled at me as you walked back, you knew I understood that.

“How are the exercises going?” you asked me, a thoughtful gaze was apparent in your eyes. I’d have given anything to have known what was going through your mind then.

“Fine,” I muttered. It wasn’t fine, they were boring and useless. I didn’t like doing them one bit, so I wasn’t very good at doing them daily.

I didn’t believe they would make my knee better anyway.

“Snowflake?” I saw worry in your eyes when you looked up.

Normally doctor carter would have made me do some of the knee exercises in front him so that he could have checked  I was doing them right. They were still though trying to figure out what was the problem with my knee; I’d had multiple scans which had come back negative.

I sighed, as I’d hopped of the bed knowing what was coming next.

But you surprised me when you put your hand on my shoulder and said “You have to bring your own light into the darkness snowflake.”

******************

Did you like it?!! Please comment pleeeeeeeaaaaase!!!!!

Thank you for reading :)

xxxxLIAHxxxx

Continue Reading