My Name is NOT Cupcake

By CaylahWest

Nova Moore always does the right thing. She's always made the grade and she's finally reaping the benefits. U... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
She's the Alpha

Epilogue

10.4K 329 22
By CaylahWest

"Eli! Kennedy!" I yelled up the stairs before I wobbled back to the dining room. I was pregnant... again, and almost to full term. Kennedy came barreling down the stairs first and met me in the dining room. I was still setting up for dinner.

"I can help, mom," Kennedy said as she went to get more food from the kitchen. Kennedy-Estella was 14 years old now and every bit as beautiful as the day she was born. She had curly copper-red hair and clear, radiant blue-gray eyes. She was pale and inherited my freckles. She actually burned in the sun very easily too. She was every bit of me as we expected. She was a feisty diva, strong-willed, stubborn, and very athletic.

Kennedy finished setting the table as Elias strolled into the dining room. He held me gently and kissed me.

"Hi, cupcake," he smiled. I chuckled. He never stopped calling me that, but I learned to live with it.

"You said that ten minutes ago when you came down to check on me... again," I emphasized. Elias chuckled and shrugged. Oh yeah, his protectiveness never died down. In fact, he was even more protective over me because I was pregnant again and due any day now with our second child:

A baby boy.

Just then, the doorbell rang. Kennedy smiled and ran to the door.

"I got it!" she yelled. Elias and I exchanged a knowing look.

"Oh boy," Elias sighed. I chuckled and went to greet our guests.

"I wasn't expecting them to be back so soon," I admitted as we met up with everyone in the foyer.

"Oh, Nova, you look absolutely stunning!" Alexa gushed as she pulled me into a hug. I laughed as Mathias clapped his son on the back at the same time.

"I thought you guys would be gone for another week," Elias asked his parents. They looked at each other before they shrugged. Kennedy held onto Elias' hand as she practically bounced in place; her eyes darting everywhere.

"Jessie was getting home sick, and frankly, so were we. Plus, we didn't want to risk missing the birth of our second grandchild," Mathias explained with a laugh. Jessie was a boy who was the same age as Kennedy that we took into our home after his parents died when he was only four years old. Jessie had brown hair and green eyes. He was just as athletic as Kennedy. Jessie was a Lycan also. He actually shifted when he was 12 years old. Kennedy and Jessie have been inseparable since they met. They were best friends. Once a year, Alexa and Mathias would take Jessie on vacation and spoil him rotten. Alexa claimed it was to make him feel more apart of the whole family, but after their trip to Italy, I was convinced that Alexa just wanted an excuse to travel.

"Where is Jess?" Kennedy asked excitedly. Every time Jessie and Kennedy were separated, they got antsy and anxious until they were reunited again. I had a theory that they were mates, but we wouldn't know until they turned 18 years old.

"He's getting the bags out of the car," Mathias answered with a chuckle. Kennedy smiled before she darted out the front door. We all chuckled at her excitement.

"I tell you, that girl..." Alexa shook her head with a relaxed smile. "Has she shifted yet?" Alexa asked. My smile faltered as I shook my head. It was a common question concerning Kennedy and the answer was always the same. Early in her childhood, Kennedy showed great promise for the gene. She was a fast learner, she was athletically gifted, she had Lycan hearing and sight, and so on, but she hit puberty when she turned 14 years old almost a year ago now and... nothing. Of course, growing up with me as a mother, she knew about werewolves. I didn't care what the rules were. I told her when she was 8 years old because I didn't want her to be blindsided, or lost and confused like I was when the werewolf world was thrust onto me. Elias and I argued long and hard about telling her since the day she was born, but I eventually got my way... as usual.

"It's a strong possibility that Kennedy doesn't have the gene, Nova," Elias said softly. I glared at him briefly.

"She has the gene. She's just a late bloomer, is all," I defended. I firmly believed it, too. I just had a feeling. "She's strong... stronger than she should be. She's special, and I'm not just saying that because I'm her mother. I see it. Kennedy is going to make a great leader... a great Alpha one day. You'll see," I said confidently.

Kennedy and Jessie ran inside with the bags and sprinted straight up the stairs. Elias' parents, Elias, and I moved to the living room to talk more. I took a seat with Elias on the plush gray loveseat and Mathias and Alexa sat on the longer couch perpendicular to us.

"I think a female Alpha would be good for the Lycan world," Alexa shrugged before she crossed her legs. Mathias' arm went around his mate subconsciously out of habit as Elias did the same to me.

"Not a chance. You know how strict some packs are on tradition. Some packs still perform Kieowani. Having an Alpha who is a shewolf is just asking for trouble," Mathias argued. I winced slightly. Kieowani was considered a mercy killing of a Lycan after said-Lycan's mate passed away. Some packs thought of it as a favor to rid the widow or widower of their misery. I just saw it as inhumane.

"Maybe, but who knows? It might be the turn of a new era," Alexa countered. And as always, it was my mother-in-law who got the last word as the subject changed. As we were talking, a loud blood-curdling scream came from upstairs.

It was Kennedy.

She sounded like she was in a lot of pain. I jumped up and ran for the stairs with the others on my heels. Elias, however, held me back. I fought him as I tried to get to my little girl.

"Nova, the baby... take it easy. We'll go see what's wrong," Elias explained in a rush to try to get me to calm down. I elbowed him in the ribs in an attempt to get free. Before I could break free or say anything, Jessie was in front of us cradling Kennedy. She was whimpering and squirming. There was a cold sweat on her forehead and her face was red. Jessie looked scared and worried.

"W-We were playing around and she just froze and stopped breathing. When she got her breath back, something snapped and she screamed before she just collapsed," Jessie explained frantically. I was so worried about my daughter that no logical thought or explanation of what was happening came to my mind. We all just kind of froze, not knowing what to do until a loud snapping noise filled the silence followed by another scream from Kennedy. The snapping was wet and strong... it was nauseating. I thought I was going to throw up right there on the spot. Her scream was loud enough to make my ears bleed, but I didn't care at the moment. Something was wrong with my daughter. I thought of taking her to the hospital but Mathias piped up before I could voice my thought.

"Stella's shifting," Mathias announced. I was elated and worried at the same time. I was happy that I was right about Kennedy being a late bloomer, but I was also worried about the amount of pain she seemed to be in. No mother wants to see their child in pain. Tears rolled down her cheeks as her copper, red hair began matting to her sweaty face. Elias gently took Kennedy from Jessie.

"Okay... Jessie, run to the closest store and get ice... lots of it. Mom, I need you to grab her a set of spare clothes. Dad, I need you to get towels. All of you, meet me out at the small clearing when you have everything. Nova, I need you to stay here," Elias ordered. Everyone scampered off except me. My blood boiled as Elias started towards the front door cradling Kennedy gently. How was I just supposed to wait when my daughter needed me?

"I'm coming with you," I protested. Elias sighed in frustration but continued walking.

"A werewolf's first shift is out of control and unpredictable. I know you want to be there for Kennedy, but you would only get in the way and put yourself, as well as our baby in harm's way. First shifts have led to murder countless times because of how crazy it can get around humans. Please... just trust me and listen to me just this once. My dad, mom, and I have helped hundreds of wolves on their first shift and we know what we're doing. Please just trust me... She's going to be fine. She's in good hands," Elias said in a rush as he stopped on the gravel road in front of the house. I stopped on the porch and sighed, letting him go. I decided to listen to Elias...

Just this once.

"Take care of my baby," I said to him as I gave in. Elias smiled softly and looked at our daughter before looking back to me with a soft smile.

"With my life," he promised before he ran off at werewolf speed to the nearby trees. He moved so fast that all I saw was a blur. I still wasn't used to that... even after 15 years of knowing what he was. I rested my hand of my enormous stomach and went back inside, locking the door behind me just in case. Bored, I went to our master bedroom on the fourth floor and called Nolan. He was doing well as Still Water's Beta. He also found his mate and they had a little boy together. I still talked to my twin brother, Mason, and my dad often.

"Hello??" Nolan finally answered on the fourth ring.

"I'm freaking out," I blurted as I began to pace in front of the foot of the bed.

"Nova? What's wrong? Did you go into labor? Kerstie and I will meet you at the hospital," Nolan rambled. If I wasn't so worried about Kennedy, I probably would have laughed at how worried and excited Nolan sounded.

"No, Nolan. This bun is still cooking. it's about Kennedy. She's going through her first shift right now in the woods with Eli, his parents, and Jessie, and I'm stuck in the house," I explained. Nolan whooped excitedly.

"Congrats, sis! Little Stella got the gene," he congratulated excitedly. I rolled my eyes and stopped pacing as I rested my hand on the top on my stomach.

"I knew Kennedy would get the gene from the start. I just had no idea it would cause her to be in so much pain. I'm stuck in the house and my baby girl is suffering. Maybe I should go and check on her," I thought out loud.

"Okay, stop. One, Stella is a teenager now. She's four years away from being 18. I'm sure if she heard you calling her your 'baby girl', she would roll her eyes and tell you that she's not a baby, and she isn't. Two, everyone else calls her Stella except you, your mate, and Jessie. You guys need to get with the program already. And three, you need to stay in the house. It's safer for you and your unborn child. Going out there would be suicide, and Stella would never forgive herself if she hurt either one of you and you know that. You don't have the capability to defend yourself if anything went wrong. Every Lycan goes through it, Nova. She'll be hurting for an hour or two, but she'll survive; I promise," Nolan tried to reassure me. I worried my bottom lip as I thought about his points. I knew he was right, I just wanted to be there for my daughter.

"But-"

"Nova... Stella has two Alphas, a Luna, and her best friend in the whole world to help her through this. That's more support than a lot of werewolves get for their first shift. Some of them have even had to go through it alone. Stella is in the best hands possible and you would just get in the way and cause trouble," Nolan cut me off. I took a deep breath and calmed down slightly. He was right after all.

"Thanks Nolan," I said sincerely. I had to admit, talking with him made me feel better about the whole ordeal because I knew he went through it himself. "And Nolan?" I said, remembering something he said.

"Yes?" he answered, drawing out the 'e' unnecessarily.

"Kennedy is the name I gave her, so Kennedy is what you all should call her," I said in a scolding manner. I wasn't really angry though. Everyone except Elias and I had been calling her Stella since she was born. Nolan only laughed.

"No can do, sis. Plus, Kennedy is only one of the names you gave her. Stella fits her better. It's a name that says 'I'm a stubborn diva. Don't mess with me'. She reminds me a lot of you back when we were teenagers. She's stubborn, sarcastic, witty, bold, strong-willed, and impossible to ignore. The name, Stella, has spunk, just like Kennedy does in actuality," Nolan explained. I smiled to myself lightly.

"Fine, whatever," I muttered because I knew I'd lost the argument, but I would never admit that. Nolan only laughed at me.

"Okay, loser... Oh! Kerstie says hi and wants to know when you want to go for brunch again," Nolan said, off topic. I figured she must have walked into the room. Kerstie was a sweetheart. I was glad my brother had a mate as kind-hearted and wonderful as she was.

"Whenever Elias lets me off of 'impending labor watch' and you can find a sitter for Oakley," I answered jokingly. There was muffled conversation on the other end before Nolan was laughing in my ear again.

"She said, 'so never then?' Alright sis, Oakley is getting home from soccer practice so I have to get going," Nolan said with a breath. I sighed and began to make my way to the third floor of the empty house.

"Okay, I love you, Nolan. Talk to you later and tell Kerstie that we will get together soon. Even if I have to slip past my security detail. Love you guys, bye," I said my final words before I hit the 'end' button and just held the phone in my hand. I found myself wandering into Kennedy's room. I went to her picture mural of the far left wall and couldn't help but smile at it. The entire wall was covered in pictures of her family, pack and friends, as well as her inspirations and dreams. It was truly a beautiful idea. Everything on this wall was important to Kennedy.

One picture in particular jumped out at me. It was a picture of Kennedy and Jessie when they were seven years old. They were in matching blue soccer uniforms, hugging each other as they smiled at the camera. Only thing was, they were both covered in mud. Kennedy's wild, red hair was frizzy and all over the place. Jessie's brown hair was disheveled as well and his giant grin was missing his two front teeth.

The day that picture was taken, they didn't even play in the game. It rained earlier that day so those two troublemakers had the bright idea to try to slide of the mud like penguins. They snuck off and slipped up and down the muddy terrain for the first five minutes before we noticed they were gone. They were all smiles when we finally found them covered in mud. I was scared at first when I couldn't find them, but they were just innocent kids looking for some fun and adventure. That was one of the best days we had, even though it started off as a scare of losing two kids. Kennedy begged for a picture after we finally found them.

That picture made me realize how fast Kennedy was growing up. I felt like if I blinked, I would miss everything. And now I had another baby on the way to feel the same way about.

Kennedy was a strong independent girl and I knew she would make a great Alpha. Elias may fight me again on the topic, but I knew I would eventually get my way because it was impossible to ignore how Kennedy was a force of nature to be reckoned with. She was a natural born leader and I knew she could change the world. Just like I knew she would be a werewolf, I knew she would eventually be Alpha Kennedy-Estella Noel Madsen...

The start of a whole new world.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 4.8K 54
Oh look it's The girl who stole my man." She said smirking triumphantly. "Oh really I remember clearly that it was you who stole my man. But, at leas...
1.1M 29.6K 40
With his eyes trained on me he growls, "Unchain me." The supervisor chirps quietly, "I can't." His head swivels to her, and his fists are cle...
523K 16.8K 31
Natalie was raised in a world where there is nothing more sacred than the mate bond. She lived with that belief all of her life, but when one of her...
317K 8.1K 33
I was looking at world through eyes so innocent they made me disgustingly blind, but thanks to you darling , i'm finally released from my innocent bi...