Where Shadows Breathe [Legola...

By Stars_Alight

Hope suffocates in the place where shadows breathe. Mirkwood, once a great forest, has fallen into darkness... More

Official Trailer
Cast of Characters
Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One: Midnight
Chapter Two: Igneous
Chapter Four: Brontide
Chapter Five: Solivagant
Chapter Six: Cacophony
Chapter Seven: Nebulous
Chapter Eight: Adumbrate
Chapter Nine: Virulence
Chapter Ten: Daggers
Chapter Eleven: Agowilt
Chapter Twelve: Sussurrus
Chapter Thirteen: Trust
Chapter Fourteen: Comforts
Chapter Fifteen: Ellipsism
Chapter Sixteen: Breath
Chapter Seventeen: Evasions
Chapter Eighteen: Secrets
Chapter Nineteen: Fear
Chapter Twenty: Run
The End is Coming
2 | 2 | 19
Chapter Twenty-One: Perfidious[ON HOLD]

Chapter Three: Viridity

709 66 178
By Stars_Alight

The night hid no unexpected trouble. Few could rest but held to the pretense of respite that the night offered. Those who could not remain still lurked on the perimeter of our camp, holding an unwavering watch. With the sun rose a renewed sense of purpose in the company's actions.

Of my two injured warriors, one fared far worse than the other. A restless fever had come over him during the night, his voice piercing the night in a striking echo of the battle that had only just passed. Our battlefield healers had administered the common spider antidote, only being able to guess at the amount that was needed. The healers at the stronghold could do little more aside from offer comfort that the forest's ground could not. A single bite had yet to kill a warrior—I prayed that would still be the case.

It was a blessing when the stronghold came into our sights. No grand welcome crowd awaited us; for that I was thankful as I doubted that any one of us would be able to manage a façade of relief at this victory.

I released my warriors from the patrol, a strict order to rest being sent with them. It was a tense walk through the winding halls as I kept hold of my own emotion—barely. Only once I arrived at my own quarters and rid myself of my battle stained tunic did some amount of peace come over me. I still needed to file a report and would be needed on the training fields soon enough—peace was in short supply.

I stepped outside my door and the unrest that permeated the stronghold assailed me like a wind brushing through tall grasses. There was no harm in it—so long  as we did not let it cut us down.

The Royal Wing was segregated from the other halls of the palace. Outside my door, their was a grand vestibule, several doors along its walls, my own quarters adjoined to my adar's. Flowers were carved into the stone, wooden leaves and ivy extending from their stems. If I let my eyes wander too far, I might let myself wonder after the beauty of this room and let the shadows touch flit from my mind.

I stepped out of the vestibule and into the hall. There were no edhil there and it was in the corner—distant but distinct—that my gaze caught.

Where a crook between two walls towered, stood a table. It had sat empty for many years, once being my naneth's flower table. She had kept it tidy, a blooming flower vase sitting atop it to bring a breath of fresh air to any elf that walked by. Somehow, she had even seemed to keep it replenished in the dead of winter, with flowers of deep blue that might rival the starry sky. I had been too young then—but the memory of it lived on the tongue of those who remembered.

When at last I reached the table, my restless intuition was fulfilled. In a deplorable turn of the day, my heart sank deeper. A thousand thoughts flashed through my mind, tossed like the raging rapids' waters, then stilling at the turn of tide.

Stabbed into the wood, a single knife fixed a note upon the table. Four words were scrawled upon it in a murderous omen that ignited my fury greater than the spiders ever had.

_____________________________

"Legolas, sidh. Calm yourself."

I rounded on my adar, struggling to keep a snarl from my lips. "I will not. We cannot simply wait for death to come upon us. By the time we act it will be too late."

"You do not know that. We have and have always had precautions in place against this. Do not let a childish message rile you; that is its only purpose. You're allowing your emotion to control you." My adar's voice was devoid of feeling—the voice of a King. It might convince those who hadn't known him for centuries. I recognized it immediately and all too well. Fortunately for me—and my temper—I did not have to continue pleading my case on my own.

Cirfan had come to the throne room at my urgent request. When Oropher had ruled, he had been my own father's lieutenant. Upon my adar's ascension to the throne, Cirfan had become his seneschal

to any other rebel attempt. They are making themselves known to us as if it is a game."

"And if it is a game they want, it is a game we shall play." My adar's eyes flashed. "We will not be cornered into sending the kingdom into a panic. There is enough shadow as is, we need not diminish the beacon of safety that our people still believe we hold. I will play the game and I will win."

"Adar—" My protest was joined with Cirfan's.

"No argument. That is my final word on the matter. We will not cower from phantoms."

I sighed, shoulder's straightening. "The I will conduct an investigation. Only so that we can be sure. If there is a threat to the crown, I cannot leave it unchallenged."

Forven had been lingering by the doors, a sentinel lying in wait for whatever tendrils of darkness might creep forward, but now he stepped forward. "I agree with Legolas, my king." I did not voice my worry for the head that crown sits upon.

My adar did not groan—never would he allow such a display in his throne room. But even he might be hard pressed to deny a sigh having passed by his lips. "Of course. I should have expected as much."

Ignoring the comment, Forven continued to pace around us. "I do not, however, believe that Legolas should conduct the intricacies of such a search." Both my adar and I opened our mouths, mine in objection and I assumed his in agreement, but Forven's voice rose to quiet us. "Not for lack of need of it, but because he would be putting himself at unnecessary risk. To do so he would be drawing himself closer to the danger that is so obviously at hand. If there is a threat to the crown, it is to his own neck as well."

A silence followed his  words. I wanted to object, but could not find it in myself to do so. My adar was more likely to agree to any search of the kingdom if my involvement was absent... Perhaps it would be best to leave Forven to his ruse.

Cirfan cleared his throat, cutting into the icy air. "Are you in agreement, then, Thranduil?"

My adar's guard of control wavered. "Do I have a choice?"

"Not quite," I answered, crossing my arms. "You cannot disregard your own safety this way. It is careless."

"I have four guards that follow me near everywhere but my private chambers, and even then they simply stand outside. I have plenty of regard." A mirthless smile came upon my adar's features. "Notwithstanding, you could do with more of an entourage."

"Let this be done then." Forven interjected before the matter escalated, gripping my forearm. "In any case, the prince and captain of the guard has other matters to see to and must be on his way to them." I attempted to argue, but it appeared no one would allow me to plead my opinion on anything this hour. Forven bowed briefly and pushed open the large doors to exit the throne room. I called to the guards that they may enter the throne room again, Forven refusing to let me stop until we were a fair distance down the hall.

At long last, his hold loosened and I jerked my arm away, shrugging a poised stance into place. "What was that about?" Forven simpered innocently and I continued, expression blank. "You know precisely what I am speaking of."

A chuckled morphed into a curt laugh. "So you do not accept that I have taken your investigation from you? Believe me, it will not get out of hand."

"Out of hand?!" I exclaimed, restraint escaping me. "The note I found was undoubtedly intended for me. No one else would have seen it upon that table and you know it as well as I. Whether my adar decides to see sense or not, I understand its intentions."

"I understand as well, Legolas. Just let me see the note."

I ripped the paper from my belt, holding it out to Forven who took it calmly. "I've already told you what it said."

"Yes, but have you really thought about what you've been reading?"

"It says 'Death to the King.' What more is there to that statement?"

Forven shrugged indifferently. "Perhaps that this may not be an intended murder note? It could simply be an upset elf who wants his opinion known."

I shook my head and spoke before Forven could continue. "And somehow I doubt it. If this is what you think, then would you explain precisely why you assisted in gaining authorization to search for the culprit?"

"Because" Forven said slowly, "if you would let me speak more than what one breath capacitates, I believe we should be wary. One traitorous voice may multiply and even become more lethal. Before we know it an entire rebellion may spring upon us, being based entirely upon a single lie."

Forven's words brought a sudden calm upon me, and I quieted. Perhaps I should learn to put more faith in those around me. "I see... Goheno-nin, gwador, I allowed my temper to rise. You are right."

"When am I not?" Forven smirked. "I've had practice in every other hundredth time your head has caught hold of your actions. Now," he continued, "I expect that you won't allow yourself to be barred from this investigating?"

"Not in a millennium."

"Right then. Your father and Cirfan are the only two who know this and Crifan is unlikely to tell and your father will likely remain oblivious. Still, you'd best keep quiet and not go anywhere out of the ordinary unless I'm with you. I might even arrange my own duty's schedules to align with yours for however long this takes."

I laughed bemusedly. "The schedule I give you?"

"We both know what you give me is a guideline. Elbereth help me, I had at least five duties in need of attendance over the last hour and yet you summoned me."

"Perhaps they are more goals of duty that I hope you might one day attain."

Forven's step dropped behind me. "Ai," he said, "you forget so quickly who was apart of the guard's ranks first, don't you?" He walked back into my line of sigh, fingering an arrow that undoubtedly had come from my own quiver. "This time, I did get clearance from your adar to head an investigation, which means I am technically in charge of whatever you do."

"Elbereth help me, we face a true threat, Forven. You could act like it." My eyes traveled back to the arrow in his hands. "Why are you holding an arrow?"

"This arrow?" He raised an eyebrow. "Believe me, I am taking this quite seriously. In fact, this arrow proves my point quite sufficiently. Does it not demonstrate some amount of carelessness on your part that I managed to take an arrow from your quiver without you so much as flinching?"

I snatched the arrow from his grasp, shoving it into my quiver. "No, it means I trust you."

The expected witty retort never escaped Forven's lips. Instead, a demure expression spread over his features. "Well, be more careful. I don't fancy being the captain of the guard any time in the near future."

"Such optimism."

"I have learned from the best." Then he stopped, turning and gripping my forearm. His head leaned near my own. "Know that I do take this threat in all seriousness. You proved yourself to me long ago and maintain my loyalty because of it. But danger being where there is supposed to be safety for my prince?—that I will not stand for. Besides," his grip loosened and he continued down the hall, "I doubt I could find a commanding officer so lenient as you."

I shook my head disbelievingly but continued forward. "You could have captained your own company long ago, if not for the stubborn loyalty that will get you killed one day if it does not lessen. Speaking of your duties, weren't you supposed to be training novices soon?"

"Supposed to, yes. But now I have clearance from the king to do otherwise. They can manage without one instructor for a session."

"Can they truly though? Earandur is quite the handful."

Forven's curt laugh echoed in the corridor, drawing several stares from the elves around. "How he is nearing the end of his training only the Valar know.

The ellon in question had struggled for many years to master anything in weapons training. I had personally assisted in his training as his desire to defend the kingdom seemed to be so great. His skill lacked hopelessly, and even upon his graduation, I could not imagine what captain would be willing to take him into their patrol. Even as I thought it, we rounded a corner and came face to, well, blade with Earandur.

I stepped back as the sword tip swung aimlessly inches from my nose. Following the metal to its hilt, I found it piled among other weapons in Earandur's arms as the ellon stumbled backward, an exclamation of surprise escaping him. Both Forven and I had the same reaction, moving forward and relieving the novice of several articles of weaponry that he should most definitely not be in possession of.

Earandur stuttered unintelligibly, finally saying, "I'm so sorry, Prince Legolas—oh, and my lord Forven, of course, I was just trying to and, well, it didn't really work, and they said that but I didn't really understand—"

At first I attempted to figure what Earandur was trying to convey, until I finally gave up, raising a hand to silence him. "It's alright, Earandur." I took the blades from Forven before a fit of laughter overtook my second. "I'll take these to the armory with you and perhaps we can talk a bit on the way." There were far more important matters at hand, but the loyalty of the kingdom is won a single heart at a time. A silent agreement passed between Forven and I before I turned away. He would begin his search—wherever the beginning was—while I busied myself in my thousandth endeavor to explain safety and consideration to Earandur. Besides, I still had the knife that had pinned the note to the table. It may prove useful if the armorers could identify it. "Come then, Earandur. Efficiency—"

"—is a vital trait of one of the king's warriors," Earandur interrupted. I was truly tiring of being cut off. "Yes, sir, I completely understand and will work on it, believe me I am doing my best. I've even been assisiting in the armory to help..." His shoulders hunched in a strange sort of meekness as his voice trailed away.

"Actually..." I drawled, "I was simply going to say that it is a difficult skill to master. Few come by it naturally." Never mind that it seemed Earandur could come by little more than speaking naturally.

"Oh, ahem, yes, of course, my mistake." He coughed harshly.

A short silence covered the rest of our walk to the armory. Upon our arrival, I asked, "Where were these supposed to go?" I dipped my head in reference to the weapons we carried.

Earandur's expression was blank for a moment until it lit up. "They're to be cleaned! Yes, that's it, supposed to be top priority—um, though, I forget, where do we put them then?"

I motioned to a side room. "Here, I'll notify the armorers before we leave." Earandur followed me into the room, a crash resounding as he unceremoniously dumped them upon the wood counter. Raising an eyebrow, but not catching his eye, I laid my own load down. "That would be all then?"

"Ah, I believe so—not that you would need to help should there be anything else, I mean, ah, thank you, sir." He bent at the waist briefly, before scurrying out of the room.

I stifled a laugh and calmly walked out behind him. This task done, I thought over where I might find Forven. The logical initial action would be to first the "scene"—being where I had found the note. Somehow, I doubted that the thought had crossed Forven's mind. I was about to step out of the armory, unable to locate one of the armorers, when my vision caught on the corner of the room. "Earandur?" I called to the ellon, who had busied himself restacking quivers in one of the back rooms.

"Sir?"

"It would appear my contingent is lacking a pair of knives..." Normally, this would cause me no alarm in the slightest, but with the last hour's development... My warriors would not have forgotten to return their weapons to be cleaned and sharpened. They were too dedicated to have such a slip, especially in light of my direct order to rest and not spar. Earandur called back some reply conveying that someone may have misplaced the set of knives but I was no longer listening. The armory had been empty upon our entry—something almost unheard of. I stood straight, eyes shooting back and forth across the room.

I heard a scuffle behind me and the sound of a blade whispering against its sheath. My hand shot out, grasping one of the knives beside me, and I heaved it up, turning. A shock of metal upon metal rang out through the armory as I stumbled backward, struggling to gain my footing, despite the oncoming assault. My heart raced as I hit the wall, trapped between the solid wood and a knife aimed directly for my chest.

_______________________________

Good? Awful? Let me know your thoughts!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 10.2K 74
"Moriría por tí" • Historia de Alexa Grimes, de 22 años, Militar, hija del Sheriff Rick Grimes. En medio del apocalipsis conoce a Daryl Dixon, un ca...
77.5K 12.6K 32
"Sergio Pérez siempre ha sabido que no es suficiente para Max Verstappen. Desde su compromiso hasta sus actuales años de matrimonio, sabe que el Alfa...
88.4K 4.8K 10
El maldito NTR pocas veces hace justifica por los protagonistas que tienen ver a sus seres queridos siendo poseidos por otras personas, pero ¿Qué suc...
128K 11K 32
Lara pensaba que Toni era el amor de su vida, pero dejó de serlo hace mucho, después del primer golpe que recibió por su parte cuando estaba embaraza...