The Lost Heiress (Completed)

By tbhanest

Pennie, an 18-year-old orphan, is a girl who turns out to be the long-lost heiress of IRIS, the biggest & mos... More

Author's Note
The Cast
Alanzar Orphanage
The Rude Young Master
Ariella Elise Monrova
The Library
Meeting the Family
IRIS's Successor Boys
A Bitter Arrangement
Send Out the Invitation!
To The Rescue
A Sudden Change
Library Reunion
Ocean Park
A Puzzling Heartbreak
Serena's Intervention
A Backfired Plan
Still A Vanderbilt
A Rejected Apology
Welcome to the Bahamas
For His Sake
Scuba Diving
Breaking Point
Like A Fool
Match Point
Let Me Go
Dark Knight in Shining Armor
The Light Has Returned
Terminated
A Vanderbilt Dinner
Catherine
Uncertainties
Yes, In Every Language
Epilogue
Author's Note
SEQUEL IS OUT

Boulders of Decisions

4.5K 167 1
By tbhanest

"Goodmorning, sweet heart," Dad kisses my forehead before I walk over to my seat in between Serena and Macy. Serena eyes me up and down suspiciously before smiling at me.

"Goodmorning, everyone," I smile at everyone and pick up my fork, trying my hardest to not glance over at Wren and see how he's doing.

"So, Ariella, you have your dress fitting today after school for the upcoming ceremony," Grandfather says, "Colton, escort her there, will you?"

"Yes, Grandfather," He smiles at Grandfather before giving me a big smile, "Sure am lookin' forward to it."

I glance over Wren and he doesn't look happy with it at all; like a helpless puppy... The sight tears my heart apart. I need to go talk to Grandfather and Dad; maybe if I tell them what Wren and I have and that I don't feel anything for Colton besides feelings of an older brother, they'll understand and everything will be okay...

"No, I'll see her there," Dad speaks up, "I need to spend some quality time with my daughter. Is that alright with you, Colton?"

"Of course, Zach. She's all yours." He smiled.

Wren asked to be excused to leave for the company while everyone went to school. All I could think about all day was Wren and kept replaying images of us together in my head.

"Good evening, Dad," I smile as I open the doors to the office where Dad was sitting at the waiting lounge with the Dr. Kreck, the Principal, "Sorry had to make you wait. I had to stop by my locker to grab my textbooks for homework,"

"It's no problem, sweetheart," He smiles, "Dr. Kreck and I were having a conversation about the curriculum this year,"

"It's really an honor to be Principal of Woodson," He nods and smiles at my Dad, "Thank you, Mr. Monrova for trusting me with this position and giving me a chance,"

"Oh, Paul, how long have we been friends?" Dad smiles back as he pats Dr. Kreck on the back, "I trust you more than anyone,"

"It's good you're home, Miss Monrova," Dr. Kreck looks over at me, "Your old man here always talk about you and how much he missed you..."

"I'm glad to be home, too," I nod in respect and smile. Dr. Kreck is apparently Dad's old buddies throughout high school and college. They went through a lot together and when Grandfather decided to build Woodson High for his grandkids, Dad suggested Dr. Kreck as the Principal because of how much experience the guy had under his sleeves as an educator, as well as a leader.

"Well, I won't hold you two back any longer," He says, "You are excused, Ariella. Have a nice day, Zach."

"Same to you, Paul," Dad chuckles and the two pull each other into a slight man hug, making me giggle quietly.

"So, Pennie, are you excited for the ceremony?" Dad asks as soon as we pull out of Woodson's parking lot and onto Main Street. Woodson High itself already looks fancy enough, but the fact that it's probably triple the size of my old high school makes me shutter at its prestigiousness and fanciness.

"I'm not sure how to feel about it, Dad..." I answer honestly, "I really didn't see any of it coming..."

"I heard Grandfather originally put Wrenier and you together, not Colton and you," He sighs, "I didn't see this coming either, Pennie..."

"I know, Dad..." I smile at him weakly, "It's just... overwhelming..."

"I can see how Wren looks at you at the dinner every night as well as at breakfast every morning," He chuckles, "I know that look... Because I used to look at your Mom that way... People just see right through it."

"Dad..." As I feel in awe about my Dad's love for my Mom, I feel bitterness and sadness thinking about how better things would be if she were still here.

"Pennie," He sighs again, "I think Grandfather has something planned for you. He has always been fond of Wren the most out of all the boys and if he has to choose one, especially for you, it would be Wrenier. I'm sure of that."

"Well... He chose Colton..." I regret my reply as soon as it comes out, "Colton has always been a best friend for me, ever since I came home. It's just kind of weird to think of him as my fiancee. Plus, Dad... I barely just met him a few months ago..."

"I understand, but do you think Colton would make a great husband?" He asks as we turn onto Penelope St, and I see a huge store, Venice, on the corner, probably taking up the whole block. I could see beautiful dresses everywhere inside as I take a glance as dad passes it to get to the parking lot on the side.

"Well, I heard that Colton is a ladies man, so I really don't know how to answer that," I answer, "But he's really sweet and gentle with me. He always goes out of his ways to make sure I'm okay and all,"

"That's good," Dad nods and looks around like he's deciphering about something deep inside his head, "Colton is a good kid. Even though he's a ladies man, I haven't heard him talking about any girl he's serious about. I think he's just being a teenager, messing around here and there."

"Mm," I nod lightly and pull the car's handle to get out. The weather is a lot hotter than I thought it would be, "Dad, this place is huge..."

"Grandfather goes out of his ways to choose the best of everything for you, Pennie," He smiles and with that, we walk inside the store through the glass double doors as the two ladies dressed in black pencil skirts and blazers greet us.

"Welcome to Venice, Master and Young Mistress," One of them smiles at us, "Please, this way, Young Mistress,"

I nod at them and smile before following Flora, as it says on her golden name tag, to back where I'm guessing the dressing room is.

"Miss, the Old Master has asked Miss Serena and the other Misses to pick out a few dresses for you as references and they're all here," Flora smiles as she shows me to my dressing room, which is probably as big as my bathroom at the Mansion. The full length mirror in the center of the room reflects how different Flora looks from how I look; as she looks elegant and graceful, I look like a country pumpkin in my school uniforms.

"Thank you, Flora," I smile at her before she walks out, "Oh, please call me Pennie,"

"Well, Miss Pennie, this rack has all of the dresses the other Misses have picked out for you, please let me know if you have any question," She says before opening the white wooden doors.

"Thank you so much," I answer and nod before she walks out.

The dresses all look the same to me, so I grab the first one and hand it on the back of the wooden doors. Having the full length mirror reflects my half-naked body makes me feel self-conscious as I hurriedly put the white under dress on and then the long cream gown that hugs my waist and flows out a bit as it goes down to my feet.

"Oh, sweetheart..." Dad smiles as I open the wooden doors to reveal the dress I have picked out after trying all of the dresses on, which took nearly an hour because they were a bit difficult to figure out with all the pieces that come with them. I didn't want to ask Flora or the other girl for help because it's embarrassing to let others see my half-naked self struggle to try on dresses.

"How does this one look, Dad...?" I ask him nervously, worrying that he might not like it.

"You look..." He stutters, "You look just like your Mother... Just as beautiful as her..."

"Dad..." I smile and hug him as I feel his tears coming to his sad eyes. He misses my mom and every time he looks at me, he must feel a ton of pain because of how much I look like her.

"Sweetheart, this dress is perfect, I'm sure Grandfather would love it," He smiles as we leave Venice, "My daughter has grown... I feel terrible I wasn't able to see the process..."

"Dad, I'm still growing and I'm not going anywhere anymore," I take his hand and squeeze it, "Don't worry, we have so much time to make up for everything, promise."

He smiles and squeezes my hand as we drive back to the Mansion just in time for dinner.

"How was it?" Macy squeals as soon as we were in my room. She wanted to have a talk with me after dinner; she looked so serious at the table that I thought it was a matter of life and death, but now with her attitude, I doubt it's anything along that line.

"It was uncomfortable because all the dresses were scratchy and hard to put on," I laugh, "But, what did you want to talk about?"

"Oh, I wanted to talk to you about my brother of course," She smiles and makes herself comfortable on my white couch, "After all, you guys will get married soon."

"Colton?" I ask, "Okay, let's talk. How about you start first?"

"Well... Colton might seems like a coldhearted player, he really isn't..." She starts off, "Believe it or not, Colton is really soft and feminine, at times."

I stay quiet and nod, letting her know I'm listening and she can continues.

"I think he really loves you, Pens," She chuckles, "The boy is hung up on you. I mean, I have never seen him serious about anything in his life. You're a good influence on him."

"What makes you think he loves me?" I ask, curious if Colton talks to Macy about his feelings at all. Then, my thoughts wander over to Wren and if he ever shares his feelings with his sister at all.

"Because he gets all worked up whenever you're around," She laughs, "It's kind of funny really. I have never seen Colton nervous when there's a pretty girl around, ever."

"It doesn't mean anything..." Denying the possibility that Colton might loves me reduces my guiltiness.

"Pennie, do you really like my brother, or is there someone else in your heart?" Macy holds my hands, "You can trust me, Pens."

"Mace..." I whisper, looking away to avoid her stare, "I-"

"You love my other brother," She whispers, "Don't you?"

"Macy," My eyes widen, "How did, I mean, how do-"

"Because I'm Macy and I know everything," Her smile makes me exhale in relief, thinking she was going to be angry with me and how selfish I am being with her brothers.

"I'm so sorry, I-"

"Pens, why are you apologizing?" She smacks my arm lightly, "I mean, I'm perfectly fine with it because either way, you'll still be my sister in law. Plus, I think Wren loves you even more than Colton does, if that's even possible. I never thought this day would ever come, when both my brothers agree on something, which turns out to be you."

"Oh, Macy, the way you put it makes me nauseas," I sigh, "I'm confused and utterly stuck. Please don't tease me..."

"You love Wren, Wren loves you," She says, "What is there to be confused about?"

"I would, never in my lifetime, do anything to hurt Colton," I sigh again, "He has been nothing but gentle and sweet to me... I'm so selfish, aren't I..."

"No, you're just human, a normal human," She says, "Who wouldn't fall for one of my brothers; makes me proud to be their sister really. All my friends are obsessed with either Colton or Wren, or both."

"Macy!" I laugh and smack her arm back, "I'm serious!"

"Pennie, the thing is, Colton can't take no very well," She gets serious, "But, another thing is that if Wren becomes the successor, Colton will have to take over my family's business, which is marketing and investing, which Colton has absolutely no interest in. It was the deal my parents and Grandfather made. Colton gets terrified every time my parents talk to him about it; he always try so hard to beat Wren, but it's nearly impossible because Wren is just naturally perfect when it comes to IRIS."

"Oh my gracious..." Instead of lifting the pressure of my chest, Macy did nothing but add even more pressure on me...

"Pennie, but you can't just think about Colton's happiness without thinking about yours and Wren's. Either way, you'll have to hurt one of them and I'm sure time heals..." Macy gives me an apologetic look, "I'm sorry it all has to be this way but I just wanted to tell you the what if's and could be's before you make your decision."

Instead of feeling like carrying a boulder on my back before, I, now, feel like carrying the whole Great Wall of China with the amount of pressure I now have. If I be with Wren, I have to sacrifice Colton's career and if I be with Colton, I sacrifice mine and Wren's happiness. Sounding like a spoiled and selfish brat, I want to slap myself for even considering the options. With Grandfather already put the plans in gear, is it even possible for me to think about choices and options...?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78 1 9
Belonging to a rich family that has much respect and power is a young man, Alec Preston. He is well known for his intellectual features and excessive...
115K 2.7K 48
โ˜† ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐ˆ๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ ๐“๐จ ๐‡๐ข๐ฌ ๐„๐ฒ๐ž๐ฌ โ˜† Iris was just another girl. She was intelligent, caring, clever, and much more. She lived a normal and happy...
Above All By bb2410

General Fiction

50.6K 6.2K 110
"I mean what's a party if they're no Idizians, am I right?" The night of the Day of Doves changes everything for Amani Cloutier, a 27-year old top ag...
451 71 33
Iris is a 16 year old girl who grew up living in a small village farm . Everything changes when soldiers show up and her village gets burned down. A...