His Royal Ballerina. (complet...

By SanayaKant

A magical tale between a ballerina who comes across a prince who can't feel pain. she gets involved in a dang... More

Roses are red violets are blue...excuse me who are you?
Jack fell down and broke his crown.
Pussy cat pussy cat where have you been?
Goodbye light blue eyes....
Announcement

One, two pick up your shoe.

33.3K 773 153
By SanayaKant

Chapter 2

“You’re back so soon?…I assumed you would be late for supper today.” Violet said on seeing Rose enter the Girls quarters.

“Time is always in my favour.” Rose replied and winked at her.

The girls dormitory  was located to the south of the campus, it was not too plush and not too shabby, you could call it a decent dorm that housed fifteen young girls in the age group of sixteen to nineteen. Rose was relieved to leave Dame Petal’s mansion and come stay with the rest in the quarters. She wasn’t too comfortable with Dame Petal’s rules and regulations when she lived in her mansion back then.

“Supper has been served.” Lady Oak knocked the entrance door of their room and announced. She was their care-taker, a hyper, middle age lady who displayed her displeasure in ballet,but secretly danced in her private room during gloomy nights.

All the girls reluctantly left their separate beds and followed each other, out to the main dining room.  This behaviour was not because they weren’t hungry, but because the type of diet that Lady Oak prepared for them. On Dame Petal’s recommendation, Lady Oak prepared a strict diet of greens and proteins. Honestly it was set to keep them healthy and fit, but due to its blandness and repetitiveness, the girls often found it unappealing and ended up eating  junk food whenever they had an opportunity to venture out of the campus. Daisy was a perfect example of unhealthy diet. Her flabby legs and enormous waist line reminded the rest that they had to control their eating habits.

“Did you notice…Daisy hasn’t eaten since shaman commented on her weight.” Violet whispered in Rose’s ear, as they both sat down next to each other, near the elongated table.

“That was an eye opener for her … he was finding it hard to breathe after he lifted her, remember?” Rose whispered back and added “With that weight she will surely kill him one day.”

Violet giggled and took few sips of broccoli soup as a formality, since she knew Lady Oak was watching everyone in the dining room.

There was pin drop silence in the dining room as Lady Oak inspected each at the table. She stared at the ones who would occasional whisper or play with their food. No sooner did she take two rounds around the table and leave, the girls broke the silence and started chattering and gossiping.

“I can’t wait for the carnival this winter.” One of the girls shouted in excitement for everyone to hear.

“I heard the Royal family might pay a visit there….I am so excited.” Another girl exclaimed and pretended to fan herself.

“Hold the excitement ladies, we have a performance at midstream theatre.” Rose interrupted and reminded everyone.

“Look who’s talking, the swan with two left feet.” Dandelion, the most snobbish of the lot, remarked from the other end of the table.

Rose wasn’t going to take an insult from Dandelion, she flinched and meticulously pulled the table cloth in such a way, that the bowl of hot broccoli soup overturned and fell on Dandelion’s lap.

“Ahh… it’s burning!” Dandelion shrieked and hopped around in circles, in an attempt to to wipe off the mess from her red skirt.

Everyone looked at her and laughed in amazement , while Rose and Violet playfully raised a toast and ended their supper for the day.

“Everyone, into the study room.” Lilly the eldest of them all ordered and waited for the rest to leave.

It was a routine, every day after supper, the girls had to give their attendance by visiting Lady Oak in the study room, before heading to their room. Hence after finishing their supper and poking fun at Dandelion, they all headed out.

“I hope everyone is present here…?” Lady Oak said and scrutinized everyone in the room.

“Clover hasn’t come as yet.” Dandelion said and wickedly looked at Rose.

“You’re such a…” Rose cursed her in her mind and wondered how Dandelion knew about Clover’s disappearance. Clover had left the campus without Lady Oak’s approval and Rose was the only one who knew about it.

“Where is she…I hope you all are aware that the gates of the quarters closes at this time?” Lady Oak said and stared at everyone.

Knowing that Dandelion might say something again, Rose hurriedly said; “Clover is upstairs sleeping in her bed..She isn’t keeping well.” She added and stared at Dandelion.

Lady Oak sighed and blamed the change in climate, she adjusted her reading glasses and pulled out an envelope from her side pocket. The girls’ eyes widened, as she tore open the envelope and unfolded a letter. She read it in her mind and then turned to look at the curious faces.

“The performance has been scheduled for Monday…you have to come prepared.” Lady Oak folded the letter and said in a stern voice.

“What?...Monday is the day after.”

“How are we going to prepare so fast.”

There was chaos in the room, all the girls started complaining and frowning. They weren’t expecting any news like this. Their performance was schedule for next week , this sudden change in dates caused all of them to sulk in disappointment.

“It’s an Order from Dame Petal….now leave.” she signalled Lilly to guide everyone back to their room.

“And Rose,” she called out to her and said; “I will come up stairs, to check on Clover soon.”

Rose nodded and left the room with the rest, she bit her lips and wondered why Clover was taking so long? And what would happen if Lady Oak would find out that she was lying? She entered the large room that had fifteen single beds placed in a row. Her eyes fell on Clover's bed, it was unoccupied.

“This is not done, I haven’t practised enough.” Violet whined and jumped on the bed next to Rose.

Rose ignored Violet and stood near the window, she looked out in the darkness to see if Clover was out there. It was late and Lady Oak had closed the gates as usual. Rose started planning out ways to keep Lady Oak away from entering the room.

“Are you even listening…?” Violet yelled and threw a pillow at Rose.

“Uhmm…yes I know, I am just worried for Clover.” Rose replied and continued standing there.

As she stood there figuring out ways to save clover, somebody threw a stone at her from outside. She was startled and turned to look out of the window.

“Clover!...where were you?” she yelled at Clover who had thrown the stone to gain her attention.

“Shh…I will explain, just hand over the keys.” Clover whispered in reply.

“Oh look, ther's a Romeo flirting from down there with Rose.”  Lilly commented as she came and stood by the window next to Rose.

“Lilly can you get the keys…Please just this time?” Clover requested, clasping her hands at Lilly.

Lilly shook her head and refused, she had been warned by Lady Oak once, after getting caught while flicking the keys. Lilly was no ways going to disappoint Lady Oak again.

“Oh fine…get Rapunzel’s hair?” Clover cried and made the puppy face.

Rose rushed and pulled the sheets off from all the beds and knotted each to form one single long sheet. She tied one end to the bed and threw down the other end. She smiled and gestured Clover to climb it. Lilly and Violet helped her pull Clover , they managed to get her inside before Lady Oak entered in with a glass of warm milk.

“Girls! What is happening?” Lady Oak said after seeing Rose, Violet, Clover and Lilly entangled in the sheet.

“Quick! Pretend.” Rose whispered and nudged Clover.

“Cough!...I was feeling c-cold cough! Cough!” Clover coughed and stuttered to show how sick she was.

“We were giving her our sheets to keep her warm” Rose added and pretended to cover Clover with the fallen sheets.

Lady Oak believed them and offered to help Clover feel better. She made everyone get back to their beds and then returned back to her room. The girls heaved a sigh of relief and giggled at each other. They  bid good night and went to sleep. However Rose did not sleep immediately, she pulled out a tiny box from under her bed and opened it. A delicate necklace with a ballerina pendant glittered as she touched it. She thought about Ms Magnolia and the music that the stranger played this afternoon. She sighed and hid the box back under her bed.

The next day went in practising vigorously, Dame Petal trained them the whole day without letting them rest. She made them practise till their feet turned soar. This was the perfect opportunity for her to display her teaching skills. Especially since the main guest was none other than Sir Woodland. He was the famous artistic director of Bovansky Ballet Company. Getting to perform in front of him would mean signing a life time contract with his theatre. It had worldwide recognition and an experience that would change an ordinary ballerina’s life.

Dame Petal’s students were not the only ones who were to perform on that day, it was an open invitation for all the ballet schools in London. A once in a life time opportunity to work with the Bovansky theatre. Hence it was more like a competition, the best one would be selected by Sir Woodland himself.

“Proper, I want you to point that foot, not bend it.” Dame Petal yelled at a girl who was trying her best to please her.

“I expect each one of you to remember this is not a joke, you have to put your best foot forward and I mean It.” she said as she walked past each . 

“ We have to win this at any cost…and I want no errors.” she stopped near Rose and yelled at her.

The whole class glanced at Rose and then continued practising. Everyone including Rose, knew that if anything went wrong, then it had to be her fault. Rose knew how important this was for Dame Petal, hence without complaining much she practised with the rest till evening.

The day had finally arrived, all the Ballerinas of the  Royal School of Ballet had gatherd behind the midstream theatre.

“Hurry!” they called out to one another and waited for Dame Petal to arrive.

Dame Petal arrived in her  noisy chauffer driven  steam car and stepped out in her beautiful peach colour gown. She was looking different than she usually did, no one could tell that she was the strict trainer of Royal School of Ballet.

She smiled as she waved out to her well wishers and friends. She gestured Lilly to take all the girls to the dressing room. The dressing room was huge and had brightly lit mirrors on every wall. Rose and Violet stared at the room in amazement.

“Wow this one is bigger than the theatre at our campus.” Violet exclaimed.

“Come on girls get into your costumes…y'all are next!” the theatre staff came forward and announced.

Everyone rushed and helped each other get into their tutus. Rose helped Violet dress up before getting ready herself. They were to perform Swan Lake. A four act that portrayed the Russian folk tale, it tells the story of Odette, a princess turned into a swan by an evil sorcerer's curse. Lilly was playing the part of Odette, being the eldest and the most graceful of all, she was meant to be the highlight of the performance.

“Rose, hurry everyone is leaving.” Violet yelled at Rose in desperation.

Rose was busy tying the band of her ballet slippers, she was the last one to dress up as usual. She managed to tie the band around her ankle but ignored to do the same for the other. “Leave it.”She thought in her mind since she was late, hence she just slipped her foot in the other slipper and ran with Violet on the stage.

“Ready?” the staff near the curtains asked the ballerinas. They all nodded in reply and took a deep breath as the curtains raised up.

The theatre was house full. The audience clapped before the performance could begin. Rose was nervous on seeing so many numbers of dignitaries and officers. Her eyes searched for Dame Petal, she saw her sitting calmly on the second row from the stage. She saw an old man who had two guards on his sides, she guessed it was Sir Woodland.

No sooner did the musicians start playing the notes, the ballerinas put aside their fear and danced with a brave face. Rose was positioned behind, where she could hardly be noticed by any of the spectators.

“You have to do this.” She kept repeating the words in her mind and danced.

The lights went dim and the main focus was now on Lilly. She looked beautiful and elegant in her white tutu and jewelled crown. This was the last part of the act, Shaman who played the part of the Prince had to come and make a passionate apology to Odette. While the rest had to twirl and then bend down like swans in the lake.

Shaman made his entry and all the ballerinas including Rose twirled and bent down. In this process Rose’s slipper that was not secured tightly, slipped and fell on the audience sitting in the front row.

Dame petal gasped and started sweating, while Shaman and Lilly got distracted by the sudden giggles and whispers coming from the audience. They ignored the commotion and continued dancing till the act ended and the curtains fell down.

“You’re doomed now.” Rose said to herself as everyone on stage looked at each other and wondered who was the main culprit, before they could realise and turn to look at her, Rose rushed out from behind and came out from the back door of the theatre. She had messed it and Dame Petal was going to fume on knowing that is was she.

She stood there in her pink tutu and one slipper, leaning against the wall and praying for some miracle.

“Excuse me, I think you left something?” a soft voice startled her.

She opened her eyes and saw a handsome young man standing with her slipper in his hands. He was tall, average built and wore a black tuxedo. She was surprised, at the same time ashamed to see here slipper in the young gentleman’s hands

“This belongs to you, right?” the young man said and looked at her.

Rose looked at him with curiosity in her eyes, she was sure she had seen him before, but where?

“What makes you think it belongs to me?” she made a face and looked away.

“Uhmm…’ he cleared his throat and glanced at her bare foot. “Sorry I wasn’t aware that ballerinas danced with one slipper.” He remarked and bowed in front of her in apology.

No sooner did he say and do that, Rose pulled the slipper from his hands and hastily slipped her bare foot in it.

“Thank you!” she sheepishly said and smiled hesitantly.

“For what,” he asked and winked at her.

Rose giggled and asked him, “ Where did you find my missing slipper?”

“Honestly speaking, your slipper found me.” he replied and waited for her reaction.

As expected she blushed and turned red in embarrassment. Her slipper had slipped and landed on him, that's why he had it in the first place.

“I am extremely sorry for what I have done.” She said and bit her tongue.

“Apology accepted…accidents happen, you can’t avert them.” he quoted.

Rose let out a slight laugh and thought to herself “Avert them?, being born was the biggest accident.”  she thought in her mind and sighed.

“I think you should tie it before somebody finds out it was…” he paused and smiled.

Rose agreed and hastily tied the band around her ankle so that nobody would notice that she was the culprit. She thanked him once again before he turned and left her. As she saw him leave she wondered why his face was so familiar, No sooner did she think that, she recollected who he was.

“Mr. No pain!” she yelled out to him.

He turned and looked in her direction as she ran towards him and said; “I know you, we met in the campus , remember ?”

“Yes, I do…but No pain is not my name.” he replied and adjusted his coat.

“Sorry, I don’t know your name.” she said and bit her lips.

“I’m Thorn, pleased to meet…” he paused.

“It’s Rose…Pleased to meet you too.” She said and they both shook hands like ordinary people, not knowing that this was the beginning of a journey that would change their lives and perspectives.

This my friends is a story of two individuals, set in the heart of London during 1879, when old beliefs and practices were being reformed  with the rise of industrialization, steam engines and the invention of electricity, hence the cars and public transports mentioned in the story are mainly steam driven especially by the rich class.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100 3 7
The prince did not want to become king, but like his father had grown sick, so did his brother. He knew he would have to be the responsible one to ta...
135K 8.1K 27
Noor, a dancer in the Royal Court of the Al-Yauzhan Empire wants nothing more than to pay off her debts and lead a nice, simple life-but a chance enc...
43.4K 1.5K 10
A not-so-nice fairytale where Prince Charming is actually a ruthless king and the princess-in-distress isn't really a princess, more of a dancer to d...
519 290 21
This story is a romantic fantasy mixed with a little adventure, action, and humor. The story revolves around a young prince who renounced his title a...