Coming Home

By LizBizCheezWhiz

Makenzi Fox had it all. Perfect boyfriend, perfect grades, amazing friends, wonderful family. She was living... More

Coming Home
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue-Cayden
Epilogue-Kenzi
Author's Note
Character Guide

Chapter 6

261K 6.4K 1K
By LizBizCheezWhiz

My first couple days at home were hectic. It seemed like every resident of the town wanted to see me and ask how I was doing. They all wanted to know why I left, to which I didn’t respond. I knew they’d find out eventually but I didn’t want to take the chance of one of them telling Cayden before I got the chance to. Due to this, my guilt grew on a daily basis. I was lying to everyone, all the people I grew up with or had been friends with. I was lying to every one of them and I hated it.

In the first week I was home, most of my time was spent at the hospital with my dad. I knew he was still in the coma and he wasn’t coming out of it anytime soon, but I needed to be with him to convince myself that he really was okay. I’d sit in the chair next to his bed, talking to him and telling him about my life over the past three years.

“You should see Cain and Asher, Daddy. They’re so big now and they’re developing their own personalities so it’s easier for other people to tell them apart. They look just like Cayden, Dad. It’s hard to look at them sometimes. They make me think about Cayden and I don’t like that. I miss him Daddy. I miss him a lot and I hate that. I hate that I still want him around and I wish he were here to help me through this situation with you. No matter how hard I try to convince myself that he hurt me and I shouldn’t think about him, I can’t follow my own advice. To make matters worse, I have to see him soon. I don’t know where he’s at but I have to find him and tell him about the boys. They deserve to know each other, no matter how hard it’s going to be for me,” I said, looking at Daddy’s emotionless face as I clutched onto his hand.

“You’ll be okay, little one. You’re strong and I know you can make it through telling Cayden,” a new voice said, making my head snap up to see the new arrival.

Easton was standing in the doorway, watching me. He walked closer once he saw I was aware of his presence. I gave him a small smile, appreciating his confidence in me, but it didn’t surprise me. All my life, it had always been Easton encouraging me to do whatever it was that I wanted to do. Everyone else would encourage me, too, but I always knew that Easton was my biggest supporter.

“Thank you,” I said softly as my brother occupied the chair next to me.

“You’re my baby sister, Kenz, I’m always here for you,” he responded, his smile still on his face.

I smiled at him and turned back to Daddy, staring at his face, wishing he were awake.

“Hello Dad. I know things weren’t that great between us when you had your accident but I promise I’ll stop acting like an ass. I had no right to yell at you like that and you have no idea how sorry I am for what I did. You have to believe me, Dad,” Easton said after a minute, staring at Dad.

I looked at him curiously, wondering what he was talking about. His face was full of regret and sadness. I could tell something was weighing on his mind and he needed to talk to Dad and tell him exactly what he was telling him. I stayed quiet, letting Easton say what he had to say. I’d question him about it later. Easton continued talking to Dad and I zoned out. I didn’t understand what he was talking about and I didn’t want to confuse myself by trying to figure it out so I lost myself in my thoughts of my sons. I had a picture in my head of the boys playing in the front yard with Cayden and I couldn’t believe how much I wanted that daydream to come true. I wanted my sons to know that their Daddy loves them and will be there for them.

“Makenzi? Little one, snap out of it,” Easton said, snapping his fingers in my face.

I jumped back, startled, before turning to my brother.

“Do you want to have lunch with me? I have a couple hours before I have to be at work and I haven’t spent that much time with you,” he said, giving me a hopeful smile.

“Of course,” I said, nodding.

His smile was grateful as he stood up, clapping Dad gently on the shoulder.

“Bye Dad. See you later,” he said before standing back to wait for me.

“Bye Daddy. I’ll come by to see you later,” I said, reaching down to give him a hug.

I stood up straight, following Easton through the hospital to his truck.

Ten minutes later, I was sitting across from Easton at the local diner, Macy’s. We had just ordered our drinks and were waiting for the waiter to bring them to us. I took a minute to look around, noticing that everything was exactly the same as it was when I was here last. I looked back at Easton to see him watching me take everything in.

“It’s really great to have you back, little one. It hasn’t been the same around here without you,” he said, smiling at me.

“It’s great to be back. I never realized just how much I missed this place until I got home,” I answered honestly.

“East, I the drinks for you and the pretty lady you have here,” a familiar voice said.

I looked up and was met with the sight of Jeremiah, my cousin. He was my brothers’ age and had left town when he turned eighteen. Apparently, his plan didn’t work out and he was now back home. I had to stop myself from laughing at what he said. It was funny that he didn’t recognize me.

“I know you’ve made your rounds with the women in this town, Jere, but incest is not my thing,” I said, making Easton burst out in hysterics.

Jeremiah looked at me for a moment, studying me, until his eyes lit up, realizing who I was.

“My my my, if it isn’t little Makenzi Marie. You sure have grown,” he said, pulling me up from my seat to hug me.

“That happens when you leave and never look back,” I commented, hugging him back.

“Look who’s talking. You left town too, little one,” he said as we pulled away from each other.

“You did it first,” I answered childishly.

He laughed, ruffling my hair as he pulled his little notebook out.

“What do you two want to eat?” he asked.

“I’ll have the philly cheese steak with a side of fries,” Easton answered automatically.

“I’ll have the angus burger with fries,” I said, giving my cousin a smile.

“Coming right up,” Jeremiah said, tearing off the sheet from his notepad as he walked toward the kitchen.

“Gotta love our family,” I said with a smile as I turned back to my brother.

“You’re right there,” he said with a laugh.

“So I have a question. Everything’s been so crazy lately and you’ve all been asking about me and the boys so I haven’t gotten a chance to ask. Where are you living now? I know Talon has his house with Nikki and I know Roxy’s still living with Mom and Daddy, but what about you?” I asked curiously.

“I share a house with Malachi on the edge of town. I work in the law offices in Dad’s company so I can’t go too far. Malachi works with the local police department,” he answered.

“Malachi? A cop? Are we talking about the same Malachi? The same one who used to break into the high school every year for the yearly prank?” I asked incredulously.

“The very same. He decided he wanted to experience life on the other side of the law. I’m still convinced he wouldn’t have made the force due to his record if it hadn’t been for Uncle Jonah. You know he’s always loved Malachi,” Easton said, laughing at the look on my face.

“Wow. That is one thing I didn’t expect,” I said, shaking my head lightly.

Easton laughed as Jeremiah came back with our food.

“Eat up my weird cousins,” he said, placing the food in front of us.

“We’re the weird ones?” I asked, looking at him in mock anger.

“Yup,” he replied, popping the “p” before he walked to the table across the diner.

We ate our food in silence. Easton was unusually quiet and I could tell by the look on his face that he wanted to say something, but didn’t know how to say it. I stayed quiet, giving him a chance to gather his thoughts. When our food was gone and he still hadn’t said anything, I folded my arms on the table, staring at him.

“Okay, spill,” I demanded.

“What are you talking about?” he asked, looking at me startled.

“You have something on your mind that you want to say. I’ve known you my whole life Easton, you cant hide anything from me,” I said with a slight smile.

He stared at me for a minute before taking a deep breath, opening his mouth to talk.

“I know Liam and Tegan have already been over this with you, but I have to ask. Are you planning on telling Cayden about the boys? I know they’re your sons and you’re the one who gets to choose what happens with them, but I think you should tell him. I know what he did to you was wrong and, trust me, I still contemplate punching him when I see him, but I know he’d be a great dad and those boys deserve to know their father,” his speech was rushed, as if he wanted to get it all out before I could stop him or yell at him.

“You’re right. Liam and Tegan have asked me about it and I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about it over the last couple days and I’ve decided to tell him. Like you said, he’d be a great dad and my boys should know their father. I can’t let what he did to me affect what happens with him and the twins, not anymore at least. I don’t want my boys to resent me for keeping their father away,” I said.

“Do the boys ever ask about him?”

“They’re only two. They don’t understand the situation yet. When they started calling James Daddy, I put up pictures of Cayden in their room and taught them that he was their daddy. Every time they see a picture of Cayden, they smile and yell ‘Daddy!’” I said with a laugh.

“Really? At least they know who he is,” Easton commented.

“Yeah. He just has no idea who they are,” I said.

We sat in silence for a minute before I broke it.

“You said he comes home every now and then. Do you have an idea when he’s coming next? If not, it’s fine. I’ll just text Liam,” I asked.

“I think he’s coming this weekend. It’s Tristan’s birthday and he’s having a party for it. I’m pretty sure Cayden’s coming home for that. He should be here tomorrow,” Easton responded, watching my face for my reaction.

As I heard his words, my heart started racing as I thought about facing the guy I had been in love with practically my entire life. If I was being honest with myself, I still loved him, even after what he did, but I couldn’t let myself get hurt again. I don’t think I could handle it.

“Kenz? Are you ready to leave?” my brother asked, waving his hand in front of my face.

“Huh? Oh yeah. Yeah, let’s go,” I said, still slightly in a daze.

“Where do you want to go?” he asked as he handed money over to Jeremiah.

“Back to the hospital, please. Tegan will pick me up later,” I answered before giving Jeremiah a hug and walking out of the diner.

“You got it,” my brother said, jumping in his truck.

The entire ride to the hospital I debated on asking him about what he was saying to Dad. I knew something had happened and I knew it was serious. My curiosity was killing me and I decided to ask him about it once he parked the truck in the parking lot of the hospital.

“Hey East, what was that about earlier? When you were talking to Daddy before we left for lunch? What happened?” I asked softly, turning in my seat to face him.

Easton turned to face me as well and I could tell he was composing his thoughts.

“Do you remember Jasmine? The girl I used to date that Dad hated and always thought was bad for me? Well she showed up back in town and we rekindled the old flame. Dad was furious when he found out and we got in a huge fight over it where I basically told him to screw off and let me live my life. I told him that he couldn’t control me forever and he needed to understand that. That night is when he had his accident,” Easton answered, regret and sadness filling his eyes.

I scooted closer to him, wrapping my arms around his waist and laying my head on his shoulder.

“He knows you didn’t mean it. Look at how many times we’ve all blown up at him. He never takes it to heart,” I said, trying to console him.

“This is different though. He’s in a coma and that’s the last thing I said to him. What happens if he doesn’t make it? What then? I can’t have the last words I said to my Da while he was conscious be so hateful,” he said, sounding like he was on the verge of tears.

I sat up to look him square in the eyes.

“Daddy will make it through this. He’s made it through so much and I can’t believe that this will be what finally breaks him. That’s not how our dad works and you know it,” I said fiercely.

Easton stared at me for a minute before pulling me in for another hug.

“When did my baby sister become so wise?” he asked with a slight chuckle and I knew then that he was better.

“Right around the time I became a mom,” I answered, squeezing him before pulling away.

“Sounds about right. I’ll see you later little one,” he said as I pushed my door open.

I waved at him before shutting the door and heading back into the hospital. I walked to the elevator and pushed the button for Dad’s floor. My phone rang as I was in the elevator and, looking at it, I could see it was James. Anxious to see my sons, who I missed like crazy, I answered the phone, seeing my sons’ faces fill the screen.

“Mommy!” they yelled, smiles breaking across their faces.

“Hey boys,” I said happily as the elevator doors opened and I walked towards Dad’s room, eyes on my phone in my hand.

“When you come home?” Asher asked, looking sad.

“I don’t know. Grandpa’s sick and Mommy has to be here for him,” I answered.

“But-.” Cain started to say but was cut off when I walked into what felt like a wall.

Before I knew it I was laying on the ground, phone facing skyward. A hand appeared in front of my face and I took it without looking at the person attached to the arm. I was about to look up when I heard my sons say one word that made my heart stop.

“Daddy!” they screamed happily.

Snapping my head up, I was met with the blue eyes of Cayden Knight.

____________________________________________________________________________

Here's chapter 6! I hope you enjoyed it and please tell me what you think!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305K 12.3K 66
I chuckled slightly and shook my head. "Does that usually work for you? The cute little remarks and that nice smile." I teased. He gave me a sheepish...
1.6K 33 26
Cayden Donovan teaches at a college in Manhattan, New York. Cory Noel is a student at a Manhattan college in New York. Cayden is a math teacher. Cor...
1.4K 171 36
Christina has had her life figured out for as long as she could remember. The plan was always to get into Harvard and become a journalist. So what if...
769 1 33
Dezaray and Destiny have lived with their mom all their life then one day their mom tells them that they are living to live with their dad soon enoug...