Too Young (The Jewel Project...

By Wimbug

[FREE STORY with paid bonus content] "Life is a series of choices, kiddo. You either choose to trust me or y... More

The Jewel Project
Preliminaries
Family Tree
Chapter 1.1 - Hunted
Chapter 1.2 - Hunted
Chapter 2.1- Living the Dream
Chapter 2.2 - Living the Dream
Chapter 3.1 - The Grants
Chapter 3.2 - The Grants
Chapter 4.1 - Christine
Chapter 4.2 - Christine
Chapter 5.1 - Study Camp
Chapter 5.2 - Study Camp
Chapter 6.1 - Sunglasses and Screwdrivers
Chapter 6.2 - Sunglasses and Screwdrivers
Chapter 7.1 - The Race
Chapter 7.2 - The Race
Chapter 8.1 - The Ruby
Chapter 8.2- The Ruby
Chapter 9.1 - New Recruits
Chapter 9.2 - New Recruits
Chapter 10.1 - Backup
Chapter 10.2 - Backup
Chapter 10.3 - Backup
Chapter 11.1 - Training
Chapter 11.2 - Training
Chapter 12.1 - The games People Play
Chapter 12.2 - The Games People Play
Chapter 13.1 - The Traitor
Chapter 13.2 - The traitor
Chapter 14.1 - Survival of the fittest
Chapter 14.2 - Survival of the fittest
Chapter 15.1 - The challenge
Chapter 15 - The Challenge - The deleted scenes
Chapter 15.2 - The challenge
Chapter 16 - Fake
Chapter 17.1 -The New Plan
Chapter 17.2 - The new plan
Chapter 18.1 - A sudden attack
Chapter 18.2 - A sudden Attack
Chapter 19.1 - Jessie's Trial
Chapter 19.2 - Jessie's Trial
Chapter 20.1 - The calm before the storm
Chapter 20.2 - The calm before the storm
Chapter 21.1 - The night before
Chapter 21.2 - The night before
Chapter 22.1 - The explosion
Chapter 22.2 - The explosion
Chapter 23 - Intermission
Chapter 24.1 - Broken
Chapter 24.2 Broken
Chapter 25.1 The search
Chapter 26.1 - Lost and Found
Chapter 26.2 - Lost and Found
Chapter 27.1 - Through the storm
Chapter 27.2 - Through the storm
Chapter 28.1 - Ghosts
Chapter 28.2 - Ghosts
Chapter 29.1 - Temple 101
Chapter 29.2 - Temple 101
Chapter 30 - Too Young
Now that we're done
Family Tree - Take 2
Just because...
Fun Facts
Too Young Playlist
News
Bonus #1
Bonus #2
Bonus #3
Bonus #4
Bonus #5

Chapter 25.2 - The search

2.4K 255 294
By Wimbug

Kyle watched Jessie as she dabbed disinfectant on her scratches, wincing and groaning from time to time. "You should've left the pride for another time."

"If he would've asked, it would've been something else," she replied. "But it was your idea."

"Jimmy's not really there yet."

Jessie stopped dabbing and looked at him. "Where there?"

Kyle leaned against a tree, his hands behind his head. "He, unlike you, hasn't admitted to himself how he feels about you, yet."

Jessie shook her head. "He doesn't feel about me. And why would you think—"

Kyle quirked a brow. "Who're you trying to fool? You love Jimmy. It's so obvious, my eyes water when I look at you."

Jessie put her hands on her hips. "That's...that's..." She sighed and returned to disinfecting her wounds. "That's so true."

"He's in love with you, too."

"No, he's not." Jessie put the cotton pad aside and took out a new one.

"Really? Then why did he get so uptight when I flirted with you earlier today." Kyle rested his elbows on his knees and bent a little lower to catch the look on Jessie's face. Her hair made that impossible.

"You weren't flirting with me. Just fooling around."

"I know. You could tell. He, on the other hand couldn't."

"So this means I turn him into an idiot," Jessie mumbled.

Kyle laughed. "That's such a great way to describe love." He was relieved to hear Jessie giggling, too.

"If he loves me, why doesn't he break up with Alice?" she suddenly asked, raising her head. She looked almost hopeful for a magic answer.

Kyle bit his lip. "I'm not sure. We didn't really talk about it, but I have a hunch. Jimmy had this really bad relationship. I'm guessing he's trying to prove to himself that he can still commit. Alice is just lucky she was here first."

Jessie sat in silence, chewing on her lower lip as though brooding on his answer. "That makes sense." She looked at Kyle. "She doesn't deserve him."

Kyle huffed. "Seeing as she's why Kay and I are fighting, she deserves a bullet through the head. I know I'm being harsh, but I can't help it." He leaned against the tree again. His mind was back on Kay and his stomach twisted into a knot.

"Look, just be patient," Jessie said as though she'd read his mind. "I know no one's seen her today, but she could still be around and we have no idea how long she's been missing. If she's not here tomorrow, then we can panic and go look for her."

"I'm panicking now. Can I go look for her?" he mumbled. Though he knew why he couldn't go alone. He'd faced an entire day without collapsing, but that didn't mean he couldn't do it any second.

"I could come with you and look." Jessie put her hand on his shoulder.

"No, Jess. You're right. If you really want to do me a favor, kill Alice."

Jessie stood, laughing. "You have no idea how appealing that sounds. Get some rest and we'll see what we can do tomorrow."

Kyle watched her heading towards her tent then his eyes strayed to the orange sun. It was going to set soon, leaving him plunged in darkness. He sunk his head in his hands. He was so worried about Kay, he wasn't sure he could sleep.

The lack of blackouts that day also had him confused. Ever since the explosion, he hadn't had one single day without two or three trances. Finding out he talked during them had been another shock. He hoped they were gone for good, but knew it was unlikely.

Kyle stood and walked towards the river, his eyes fixed on the setting sun. He tried desperately to keep his mind off Kay. Jessie was right. Panicking was useless. Yet, he couldn't help it.

White spots danced in front of his eyes, and he knew he should look away from the sun. Especially since one of the spots was getting bigger and seemed to be coming towards him. The closer it got, the more it looked like Kay. He shook his head, but as soon as her scent filled the air around him, he realized it was really her.

Tears glazed her beautiful eyes as she rammed into him and wrapped her arms around his neck. He stood stupefied, wondering if he was hallucinating.

"I'm so sorry," Kay moaned into his chest.

Kyle wrapped his arms around her and hoisted her off the ground. "I was so worried. Where were you?"

"I wondered off a little too far." Kay sobbed, looking at him. "I shouldn't have done it." She stared at the ground. "I ran into a bunch of Snitch Gravel's men and they took me away."

Kyle held her at arm's length. "What?"

"They were a rather stupid bunch, so before we got too far, I snatched one of their maps and got away." Kay still stared away from him. "It took me a while to find my way to camp, but here I am."

Kyle frowned. The fact that she avoided looking at him and the strange, hesitant tone of her voice signaled she was lying.

"That doesn't matter." Kay looked him straight in the eyes. "I don't want to fight anymore. I was stupid not to believe you in the first place. Please hold me. I'm breaking down."

He wrapped his arms around her again and let her sob against his shoulder. She wasn't lying about being sorry. And the relief he felt holding her, knowing she was safe, beat every other emotion and suspicion out of the way.

"Sweetheart, don't ever run off again." He took her face in his hands.

Kay pressed her lips against his. "I won't. I feel horrible. We deserve to be happy. We deserve a little break."

"What do you mean?" He ached to pull her closer and kiss her properly, but her tone was off again.

"While searching for camp, I found this really nice region. How about we get away for a day or two? Spend time together."

Kyle let her go and shook his head rapidly to make sure he'd heard right. "Kay, we're not here on vacation. Besides, Jimmy, Jessie and I—"

Kay put her finger on his lips. "Please. For me? They can handle themselves for a few days. I'll run ahead and get everything ready and you can come tomorrow."

Kyle scowled. This was certainly not right. "We're not going anywhere. What's going on?" He narrowed his eyes. "What really happened while you were gone?"

"Here's what I get for wanting to spend a few days with my boyfriend." Kay rolled her eyes. "Why are you suspicious? What could've happened? I got lost and scared and really missed you."

"I don't know what got into you—" Kyle didn't get to finish the sentence. Kay put her hands on his face and pulled him into a kiss. For a fraction of a second, he considered pulling away, but he'd missed her too much to do it. Passion won over reason and he pulled her against him, kissing her back, savoring her presence.

"This is how it's gonna be," Kay whispered, pulling away. "Don't you want two days of this?"

"I want a lifetime of this, but you're still not going anywhere." He pulled her back and kissed her again, enjoying the rushing sensation. Which each second he felt lighter, happier.

Kay pulled away again and took a few steps back. "I'm going. Just rest now and come after me tomorrow."

Kyle raised his eyebrows and stared at her for a few seconds after which he marched to her, slung her over his shoulder and headed towards the tent that used to belong to Sam, Tom and Billy.

"Whatever you're planning, forget it. You're not moving an inch." He entered the tent and dropped her on one of the sleeping bags. "Now tell me what this is really about. You can't think I'm too stupid to suspect anything."

A jolt of pain struck his temple once he finished the sentence. His heart rate quickened. This couldn't be happening. He couldn't blackout now, not when Kay was about to do something really stupid. But the familiar sensation of darkness was grabbing on to him. He had to do something, anything, to keep her in camp, and fast.

"Or maybe I'm going overboard. Let's both leave tomorrow, how about that?" He knelt next to her.

Kay stared at him as though she couldn't believe he was going along with it. He couldn't believe it either, but he didn't have a choice. He bent towards her and kissed her again. Not a good idea. He felt twice as dizzy, but Kay seemed to enjoy it.

"Go to sleep. You've had a long day," he whispered, lying on the sleeping bag next to her. He didn't have much time.

"Sleep here?" Kay asked. "With you?"

"Why not?" He tried to smile, but only half-managed it. "I think you need some guarding, so you don't do anything stupid."

To his relief, Kay smiled and cuddled against him. "This is something we've never done before."

Kyle wrapped one arm around her and pulled her against him. "It feels nice, doesn't it? We should do it more often." His temples throbbed so painfully, it was a wonder his head didn't explode. "Let's just sleep. We'll talk more tomorrow."

Kay frowned at him and opened her mouth to speak, but he never heard what she had to say. Complete darkness filled his mind, and nothing made sense anymore.

*

Kay waved her hand in front of Kyle's face, but he didn't move. She couldn't believe he'd fallen asleep so fast. His arm fell heavy on her.

"Kyle, wake up." She ducked under his arm, trying to get away, but it wasn't that easy. Half of his body was leaning on her. Her heartbeat quickened. Even through the nerves, the fear and the confusion, her feelings got the best of her.

She stopped her attempts at escape and cuddled against him. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach as she studied his face. He hadn't looked so calm since they met again. She ran her finger from his temple to his chin, but he didn't stir.

From the first time she'd laid eyes on him, Kay knew he was exceptionally handsome. How they'd managed to stay friends for so long was beyond her. He'd always been fun and sweet and... She leaned her head against his chest, listening to his heart beating. He was a bit buffer than he had been when he left Texas, but she couldn't say she minded. She frowned. His heartbeat was unusually weak.

Kay ducked from under his arm, finally managing to escape and sat up. He didn't move, but fell over on his front, the same peaceful expression on his face. No grunting or moaning that came natural with being moved in your sleep. Was he in one of his trances? No wonder he hadn't moved when she called his name.

She could get up and leave. He was smart enough to know where to find her. She was sure he already knew what was going on. But somehow, she couldn't just leave.

She lay back down, resting her head on his back. Could he really be Snitch Gravel's son? They were too different, though there were some physical similarities, like the jet black hair and the same eye color. Which was strange. She'd never seen that color anywhere else. And it also explained everything. The rumors surrounding him, why his family sent him away, why Max was sure he wasn't safe.

No. Pull yourself together. Kay got to her feet. As much as she wanted to stay, to explain, she knew she wouldn't have the nerve. It was better this way. And, in return, Snitch Gravel would leave the others alone. Maybe even tell her where her brother was.

She walked out of the tent and away from camp, making sure not to be seen. It's okay. I'm doing the right thing. Snitch Gravel will stop the pointless hunt. They'll all be safe. I'm doing the right thing. Then why were tears pouring down her face?

🌴🌴🌴

So... thoughts? Theories? Are the three really alive? Is Jimmy actually in love with Jessie? And could Kay be right? Will Snitch Gravel keep his word?

Coming right up in a chapter near you. Aren't you just glad this book is already completed?

Vote, comment, share!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.5K 5.7K 47
"You youngsters are stupidly adorable with your stubborn obsession with love. Love doesn't lift you. It destroys you." For Sam Grant, his family...
6.5K 1.5K 63
A family lost and a son alone. A boy's life at its end and beginning. An adventure filled with fantastical terrors, where a child becomes a monster...
102 0 9
What would you do if you knew there are enemies near the ones you love? What would you do if you suddenly discovered that you actually have a big res...
67.1K 7.2K 49
"Why is it always 'why' with you? Grow up already! Not all people are alike. You're good, I'm evil, you're naïve, I know how things are, and you're a...